snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Letters you wish you could send - December 2006 (Page 18)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20   
Author Topic: Letters you wish you could send - December 2006
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear idiot #1 on the road this morning:

I'm glad you had two days to contemplate driving on bad roads, and I'm sure you just couldn't wait to get out and show everyone your driving prowess. It became abundantly clear to everyone but you, it seems, that after watching you for two minutes you weren't going to make it to the next intersection the way you were driving. At least you got to play in the snow, at any rate.

~Psihala

Dear idiot #2:

I don't assume you know where you are, much less where you're going. Neither did anyone else you were cutting off. Do the rest of us a favor... Stay home.

~Psihala
(*P.S. -- Hoping you got to play in the snow with idiot #1... My fear is that you were going to take someone with you...)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear artists who began their recording careers later than, say, 1990:

Look at Huey Lewis & the News' Greatest Hits CD. Notice anything? It's almost all ... get ready ... HITS! This is what a hits set is supposed to be, not six hits, two songs that got zero airplay, two live recordings and two remixes.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
[QUOTE]
Then again, I think I've got it - the MIL looks upon the wife as a replacement for her, and so sees as the wife's proper duties the sorts of things she did for the guy.

You hit the nail on the head once again. "You better take care of my baby as well as I did or else."

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Memo to Self:

Will Ferrell movies are almost never funny. Saying "the baby Jesus" instead of "Jesus" lost its laugh mileage about ten years ago. Don't listen when people tell you it's funny and you have to see it.

Fellow Snopesters:

Can anyone recommend an actually funny movie? The last thing I saw that cracked me up was :embarassed: "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle" and I'm jonesing!

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my first choice: The Jerk

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bionic Jo
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Bionic Jo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit of an update to my earlier rant (about a month ago, it's very long and boring, so I apologize in advance.

The night after I told S that this relationship was over, we agreed that we needed to sit down and talk over how we (meaning I) were going to manage the move. I went out earlier in the evening to talk to my nephew as he's been through this scenario and I wanted his advice. I came home prepared with a list of things that HAD to be discussed - things such as child support, visitation, etc. When I started listing the first thing, he said we would talk about that later. I asked him when later was or when he would prefer to do this, he replied when you're ready to move out. Raising an eyebrow, I firmly but quietly said that that was totally unacceptable.

He broke down sobbing (again!) and asked if we could just talk about how we managed to get to this point. I finally got him to see my point of view (regarding his parents and our living situation). I told him I always understood his pov but that he needed to grow a spine in dealing with his parents. He then tells me that he constantly defends me to his parents - the only logical answer I could come up with is that if I didn't see it or hear about it, how the devil was I supposed to know that?!?

To make a long story short, we talked for hours, shed a few tears together, and he promised he would phone a counsellor the next day. Amazingly enough (to me anyway), he did. We were advised that it would be up to 3 weeks before we could get in to see one but then they had a cancellation and we saw a very nice gentleman in that first week.

First session was basically just us telling what we thought the problem was and no advice was given. We made a 2nd session that would include his parents. That ended up being a waste of time as far as I'm concerned. Before we were even in the room, his parents are telling him all the horrible, terrible things I've done and how selfish, ungrateful, etc. that I am. I tried to get a few points in but they wouldn't stop yapping their mouths long enough for me to say anything. Besides, I felt totally ambushed! The poor counsellor was trying to keep things civilized - pointing things out to them but they were refusing to listen. He told S's mom that she always starts off with a negative statement, and so of course people aren't going to be willing to listen to anything after that, are they? He told S's dad that he's not LISTENING to what is being said, but he's using his preformed opinion of the statement and not getting his head around what is actually being said.

At the end of the session both S's parents complained that I didn't say anything - the counsellor said point blank that they were not listening that they were just ready with their next attack and whatever I said was just going over their heads. Sheesh!

The last session we had was just the 2 of us again. Counsellor said that he really couldn't see it working out (all of us living in the same house) because there is no empathy at all between the 3 of us. The lines are solidly formed in the sand and none of us are going to budge. He did say that I could perhaps help out more in the yard (which is true). He told S that his parents need to back off when it comes to me and the kids. He also told S to stay out of it when his parents complain about me - if something comes up, S is supposed to stop the conversation, come get me and say "go ahead, she's here, tell HER, not me." We're supposed to unify more as a couple towards his parents, which made a lot of sense.

The problem is Christmas. I'm so dreading it! I just have this horrible gut feeling that they're going to blow it, but on the other hand, I'm hoping they do, so S can see what idiots they truly are. I have no intention of sitting over there for hours and hours, listening to the constant arguing that they always do with S's sister and kids. I plan on staying for the gift opening (which takes over 2 hours! argh!), the meal, and maybe showing up for a few minutes here and there during the evening but that's it.

Part of that has to do with several things. I have a cochlear implant now - they always have music blaring in the background and it makes it hard for me to hear conversations. I hate S's mom's cooking (overdone or underdone). By the evening, I'm tired as we'll have been up since early morning (opening presents as a family, just S, me and the kids), we eat dinner at my parents' house at noon and we're usually home by 2:30 in the afternoon. I don't really feel like doing much after that but I force myself to at least make an appearance.

So, I guess I'm asking you guys to cross your fingers for me that this will go relatively smoothly. I'm still working on S trying to get him to look at houses. I really do want out of here because even if it does go okay, it'll flare up again just because that's the kind of people they are. Plus, I just wanted to let you know what's been happening with me as you were all so supportive of my last rant. Thanks everyone!

Jo

--------------------
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.
Katharine Hepburn

Posts: 36 | From: Winnipeg, MB | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J(ingle all the w)ay Temple:
my first choice: The Jerk

Mine, too, but then I don't know something from Shinola®, and my favorite meal is a tuna sandwich with a Twinkie®.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hee... I've never seen The Jerk, but I think my parents may have quoted to each other when I was little. Is that where the Thermos song came from?

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sister,
That was absolutely one of the worst gifts you could have gotten Dad. Yes, I understand the concept of thought being what counts and all that but this gift seems as if you didn't think at all. He would never say anything to you about it and I know I won't, for his sake but, damn, are you an idiot or something?

-The Slightly Ticked Off Little Sister

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, Bionic Jo! Will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ana Ng, it's been so long since I've seen it that I've forgotten a lot of it, but I do remember that it was hilarious.

"He was a poor black sharecropper's son who never dreamed he was adopted."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079367/quotes
quote:
Mother: Navin, it's your birthday, and it's time you knew. You're not our natural-born child.
Navin R. Johnson: I'm not? You mean I'm gonna STAY this color?

quote:
Navin R. Johnson: [singing] I'm picking out a Thermos for you. Not an ordinary Thermos for you. But the extra best Thermos that you can buy, with vinyl and stripes and a cup built right in.
One of the funniest parts is when his dad takes him outside and points out the difference in something and Shinola®.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
Fellow Snopesters:

Can anyone recommend an actually funny movie? The last thing I saw that cracked me up was :embarassed: "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle" and I'm jonesing!

I really enjoyed "Kung Fu Hustle," which I finally watched just a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't anything like what I was expecting, but I pretty much laughed the whole way through.

ETreduce quotage

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear 100s of pages of audit reports and annual reports,

I have to read you by Tuesday, preferably by Monday so that I can send an email to respond to a few things Monday night/Tuesday morning. Please be interesting.

--Your (soon to be) reader

Dear S or S,

Please, oh please, don't be blowing smoke up my you know what. Please come through with one of the jobs we discussed. Based on the actions of not so DH, I really need one of those jobs.

--The woman you claim would be a great asset to the administration

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Kurt Browning,

I don't care that you're a Canadian (I always root for you against our US skaters, is that bad?) or that you're skating to (ugh) Country music today, just keep showing up on my TV and I'll keep watching. Especially if you promise to wear those leather pants at least once every show (ETA the jeans aren't half-bad, either). If you really cared, you'd skate to Brick House at least one more time before you retire - the video I have of it is good, but I'm greedy and would like to see you actually perform it again.

Love, Me.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Bionic Jo,

I don't suppose telling them that not being used to the CI yet and needing the music to be turned down a bit is an option? Or just saying "NFBSK the implant for the night"?

-Mickey

Dear guest #1,
You may have an infant and a young child, but that gives you no excuse to park your double-length stroller in front of a table for "your convenience". Other people were trying to shop. If it's an inconvenience for you to have your stroller, and you have an infant, a young boy, your mother, and your husband (I assume), you can just as easily get a single stroller and put your baby in some other kind of carrier. At least, I would hope so, in your "You don't celebrate Christmas therefore you are sinning" mind.

-Cast member that asked you to put the stroller outside

Dear guests #2-umpteen,

"Buy One Get One Free" does not mean "If these two mugs are $10 for the two, and I wanted to get this $14.50 doll, then that'll be $14.50 and the mugs are free". It means "If you buy one mug that's $8.50, then the other $8.50 mug is free." Don't confuse the two.

-Cast member that tried to explain it to ALL of you

Dear guests that patiently waited in line,

Thank you for waiting so patiently. I'm sorry that the traffic on the modems through the mall and through the Disney Store made the modems slow, or in one case, crash. You were all so, so good about waiting. If I could give you all trips to the World, I would in a heartbeat.

-The cast member that announced the issue and helped all of you in the line.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Real life,

Please stop for a while, I need a break.

~Me

Dear Universe,

Thanks for making all of B's tests come back good. I don't know how I would have handled having to make that phone call to his son to tell him anything bad. I'm glad B is okay and its nice to know he felt comfortable enough to call me to sit with him to the hospital.

~B's friend

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Whatever Cosmic Force Controls the Universe?

Yes, yes, yes. Thank you so much for finally giving me an even break and letting me get a decent grade in Algebra despite a crappy teacher. Now I don't have to take any more math classes. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Please help me to ensure that the Spring Semester goes better than the fall one.

Love,
Grateful Servant

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush:
Dear guest #1,
You may have an infant and a young child, but that gives you no excuse to park your double-length stroller in front of a table for "your convenience". Other people were trying to shop. If it's an inconvenience for you to have your stroller, and you have an infant, a young boy, your mother, and your husband (I assume), you can just as easily get a single stroller and put your baby in some other kind of carrier. At least, I would hope so, in your "You don't celebrate Christmas therefore you are sinning" mind.

Um, nope, I wouldn't park it outside either. First of all, do you know how expensive those things are (decent ones start at over $100 and you can go all the way up to the $1000s for the top of the line)? It would, unfortunately, probably disappear in a heartbeat in a crowded mall. Second, if I had to remove the baby, the young child and all the other things that the stroller was holding, then stand in front of the table with those things, I would actually take up MORE room. Third, if the baby was sleeping, there is NO.WAY.IN.HELL. you're going to get me to wake that baby up by removing him/her from the stroller.

And for me at least, the carriers (no matter what design) hurt my back after a while of walking around with one PLUS a diaper bag with enough things for two small kids. In a crowded place like the mall I would be concerned about the baby being bumped/jostled a lot. They're also a lot more inconvenient when you're trying to hold a small child's hand and/or carry packages as well.

I really don't like the whole "you're not a parent so you wouldn't understand," attitude, but this is one of those instances where you'll understand better when you are a parent the logistics of having kids along when trying to shop in a crowded mall (it's bad enough when it's not crowded!).

And how on earth did your religion become part of the conversation with this customer?

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest bro,

Just to set the record straight - I think it's fine that you're spending Christmas with your friends. If I was still young, free and single and in my 20's, I'd do the same. Love ya kiddo. Have a good one and see you in a couple of days.

Dear rest of family,

If you are naffed off with my brother for his change of plan, please have the bollocks to own that for yourself rather than hiding behind "Neffti was REALLY upset, you ruined her Christmas."

Dear Grandma,

I know you mean well but please stop following me around the house telling me to sit down and relax. I can't because I had to drop everything to spend yesterday driving the round trip to get you when the other driver couldn't because they're not well. That's fine, and it was quite festive and fun, but it does mean I'm really busy this Christmas Eve. I know you would like me to sit and listen to stories of yore, but I'll do that tomorrow.

Dear DD,

I couldn't be prouder of you, you're making this Christmas so magical!

Dear DH,

When can I get you on your own? You look really hot in your Christmas jumper [Big Grin]

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jmcomeau
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcomeau     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear everyone at DIA that I saw,

Thanks for being helpful, friendly, understanding and over all making it not as bad as I had thought on Friday. The fellow passengers, who had been waiting much longer than my 8 hours, all said theyd been well taken care of. I was afraid I would not get to my family for Christmas, and you all even got me out on the day I was initially scheduled!

You guys rock!

JMC

--------------------
Is it always this cold? Hell is so much warmer.

Posts: 166 | From: Fort Collins, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Dear Whatever Cosmic Force Controls the Universe?

Yes, yes, yes. Thank you so much for finally giving me an even break and letting me get a decent grade in Algebra despite a crappy teacher.

Dear Mouse,

If you got a good mark in Algebra, it's because you worked your hairless tail off to earn it. Well done, rodent!

Barbara "so, now that you're tailless, I guess that makes you a mole" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChickyBee
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChickyBee   E-mail ChickyBee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear self,

Well you really didn't think that out properly did you? Even though the Rooster has given you the most permanent Christmas present ever, it all kinda means you'll have unwrapped everything by 8am. That's in 90 minutes time. That was silly.

Dear Snopesters,

Have a good whatever-the-hell-you-celebrate.

Love Chicky

--------------------
So many people are hung up on achievements. What did you do today? What are you planning? Sometimes, just getting through the day is an achievement in itself.

Posts: 256 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberry Limeade
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Strawberry Limeade   Author's Homepage   E-mail Strawberry Limeade   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Self -

You should have bought an Italia soccer jacket when you were in Italy. You will never ever find one you like now, especially since you are a girl. Find something else to spend your Christmas money on. You have enough jackets as is.

--------------------
"My artist statement is incomprehensible and therefore full of deep significance." - Calvin

Posts: 36 | From: Indiana | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Migraines,

You suck worse than a room full of hoovers.

Sigh, why is it that I inherit these kinds of things from my parents as opposed to say, my weight in sapphires.

Love,
Suffering Rodent.

Dear Guests at my Dad's Evening Service,

I hope you found God at our church and I hope to see more of you. There's always plenty of room in the pews for new people, especially for cute little kids.

Signed,
Preacher's Daughter

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jocko's Jolly:
quote:
Dear guest #1,

Um, nope, I wouldn't park it outside either. First of all, do you know how expensive those things are (decent ones start at over $100 and you can go all the way up to the $1000s for the top of the line)? It would, unfortunately, probably disappear in a heartbeat in a crowded mall. Second, if I had to remove the baby, the young child and all the other things that the stroller was holding, then stand in front of the table with those things, I would actually take up MORE room. Third, if the baby was sleeping, there is NO.WAY.IN.HELL. you're going to get me to wake that baby up by removing him/her from the stroller.

And for me at least, the carriers (no matter what design) hurt my back after a while of walking around with one PLUS a diaper bag with enough things for two small kids. In a crowded place like the mall I would be concerned about the baby being bumped/jostled a lot. They're also a lot more inconvenient when you're trying to hold a small child's hand and/or carry packages as well.

I really don't like the whole "you're not a parent so you wouldn't understand," attitude, but this is one of those instances where you'll understand better when you are a parent the logistics of having kids along when trying to shop in a crowded mall (it's bad enough when it's not crowded!).

And how on earth did your religion become part of the conversation with this customer?

She asked me "So are you working tomorrow?" I answered that I was. She then asked when I get off from work, and I told her "4 o'clock." She said "Oh, plenty of time for you to spend Christmas with your family and go to church." I simply said "Oh, I don't celebrate Christmas. Hanukkah just ended last night."

And I made sure to finish our conversation with a jovial "happy holidays!"

And Jocko, would you bring your baby and son to a crowded mall, when you had a husband or mother that could babysit? And I DID mention the alternative of an umbrella stroller (even a double stroller).

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dear family of guests,

Thank you for making me clean up your mess. You know, if you wanted to find a specific shirt in a specific size, you could look at the tags, or ask a cast member to help, instead of pulling each and every one out to see it. And if you are going to unfold each and every one, I would appreciate it if you would at least make an attempt to re-fold it. The creases from the folds are quite obvious.

Then, yelling at me because I asked your son "Could you be careful when you put a shirt back? You could be pushing some of the shirts that are on the table underneath the one that's higher." I asked him to be careful because he *was* pushing shirts underneath the table above that. I saw him doing it. And you didn't believe me.

THEN, you yell at me because I'm "hovering", when I'm just trying to clean up your mess that you refuse to clean up. AND reporting it to my manager (who, TYVM, believed me instead of you).

By the way, it took me 30 minutes to clean up the *children's* side of the table. My manager let me leave and she cleaned up the adult sizes

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear self -

there you go. 4 dozen cookies that look and smell edible und a thoughtfull present for C. You also read three of the eight chapters you have to read already and you wrote more in the last four days than in the last two months. Now you only need to clean up the kitchen and you're done for the next few days.

*patts self on back*

Cordially,
me
---
Dear houserenters -

I am very grateful that you let me sublet this place while you are gone. I'm keeping it clean as promised and I'm taking the garbage out every week.

But a few things between you and me: Some things just need to be refridgerated. Cream cheese is one of them. I don't ever want to open the compartment that "has the spices in it" and find a lump of what used to be cream cheese but can now walk and think for itself.

Also, if some of your food blows up in the microwave, do clean it up, why don't you? It smelled like a dead rodent in there. And we can't have that.

Sincerely,
the housesitter

Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
Barbara "so, now that you're tailless, I guess that makes you a mole" Mikkelson

If Mouse is a mole, does that mean she's working for the glurgers now? [Eek!]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild Card
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Wild Card     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Professors,

I take back all those critical things I thought and said...well, most of them. At least some of them.

Aw, what the heck. Everything I said stands, but I'm grateful for the grades!

--------------------
"It's a perfect system...unless it screws up." -Biology Professor

Posts: 495 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[And Jocko, would you bring your baby and son to a crowded mall, when you had a husband or mother that could babysit? And I DID mention the alternative of an umbrella stroller (even a double stroller).

How do you know she had any real choice in the matter? And even if she did what business is it of yours to know why she chose to shop with her children rather than leave them at home? Further, while I completely understand your point about the bulkiness of those strollers sometimes people have to make do with what they have, purchasing something else may not be a viable option.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear co-workers that opened my tin of butter cookies and ate a few of them.

I don't mind sharing, but as I went to my car and saw that the tin was opened, I peeked inside. And seeing that a few cookies where missing, I wondered if I was actually a cookie thief myself. I didn't saw my teamleader bring in the tin, the card and the candy to where I was folding blankets, thus I couldn't be 100% sure if the tin wasn't there before.
And since I wasn't 100% sure he brought the tin in for me, I assumed that I maybe accidently got a tin that was meant for the Laundry crew and returned it to where I had been folding.
Today I overheard others of the 2nd shift housekeeper thanking the other (main) Teamleader for the cookies and guess what: That tin WAS mine.
Thanks to you, I didn't got my tin of butter cookies. (There had been some left today, I got half of those).
But on the other hand: I find it somewhat amusing and the tin wasn't marked with my name, but I had my candy AND my card on it. At least I think I made the laundry people happy today.

Rob D, the cookie-less Housekeeper.

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear guests,

1)Look, if you need a room without stairs, it is your responsibility to let us know before you get here so we can block a room for you. I am not a mind reader (assuming you have one). If you require an elevator, you need to find out if we have them before you book (we don't).

2) When you call up screaming that this room is smaller than the last time you were here, and I explain that you are in our largest sized room, don't call me a liar. Don't tell me "We are going to get a different room or we are going to leave. I know you have larger rooms." No, we don't, and your continuing on and basically threatening me is not cool, either. And going on and on about how you made your reservation 7 months ago and I better treat you extra special because of that? See point #1. The request for a stairless room was not in your reservation. And lots of other people made their reservations 7 and 8 months ago, so knock it off.

3) When I get you into a different room that meets your approval (I'm not sure why this second room did), do not call me up and call me a liar again. The room you approved is still 650 square feet. The larger sized rooms are all 650 square feet and all the same design; you did not get 'a larger room that you said doesn't exist but obviously does.' Your mind is playing tricks on you.

4) How did you reach your ages (over 60) without getting run over intentionally? Seriously.

sincerely,
kitap the non-liar

These people really ticked me off. Don't call me a liar to my face when I am not. I'm not feeling chastened by your little 'lecture'; you are mean, small-minded people and obviously really took pleasure in calling me a liar and 'lecturing' me.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:
[And Jocko, would you bring your baby and son to a crowded mall, when you had a husband or mother that could babysit? And I DID mention the alternative of an umbrella stroller (even a double stroller).

How do you know she had any real choice in the matter? And even if she did what business is it of yours to know why she chose to shop with her children rather than leave them at home? Further, while I completely understand your point about the bulkiness of those strollers sometimes people have to make do with what they have, purchasing something else may not be a viable option.
I suppose what really got to me was that she just planted it right where people wanted to look at merchandise, when I saw other people with the same type of stroller navigate the store. I can understand needing the stroller, but it irritates me that I couldn't say anything about it once she planted it. (ETA: I couldn't say anything by company policy, not because I was afraid to)

It also doesn't irritate me that she and her children were in the store to kill time while someone else goes somewhere to get something else. It's common. But if they're going to do that, I'd appreciate it if they didn't leave their stroller where they did (again, they could have navigated around the store with it).

I knew I'd get flamed for this opinion. And this time, I really don't care. It may be an irritant for you guys to see someone that doesn't have children saying this, but I'm allowed to rant about what I want to, because something greatly irritates me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dear managers,

I wish you'd told me BEFORE I started working for you that hours get cut MASSIVELY after Christmas. I may have tried to get a job elsewhere. I'm only working 6 hours this week, and I really wanted more hours than just that. I mean, I asked for a few days off because I'm going out of town with my parents to visit family, and you're giving me those days (and I'm eternally grateful for that), but I told you I could work all hours, and I'd be happy to. Have I not shown my dedication and ability to work in stressful conditions? Have I not shown you that I can still work just as hard at the end of a shift, when my knees are hurting, as when I just start my shift?
You also saw I'm a fast learner. I learned how to use the register and made a lot of mistakes my first day. Then, when I was on it the second time, I only made 2 mistakes in 4 hours (and looked in the bin book to learn how to do something before asking you).
I'm not sure if there's anything else I can really say. I'll just accept the few hours I'm working, and keep in mind that next winter break, I'll find housing and work in Orlando.

-R

--------------------

Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What business is it of yours to know why she chose to shop with her children rather than leave them at home?

Errr It's her business because how the lady is choosing to shop with her child is effecting her, that's why.

It stops being "your business" when it effects other people.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
quote:
What business is it of yours to know why she chose to shop with her children rather than leave them at home?

Errr It's her business because how the lady is choosing to shop with her child is effecting her, that's why.

It stops being "your business" when it effects other people.

Joe, she works in a Disney store! Really if you can't handle parents who shop with their kids then I'd honestly suggest finding another means of employment than working in a store that caters to people willing to pay crazy prices to buy Disney related merchanise.

Further, the stores themselves need to stop making displays and filling aisles to the point where shoppers cannot shop in comfort. Shoppers are not the only ones who are making choices that inconvenience others here!

Would Mickey be ranting like this if it had been a wheelchair or one of those motorized scooters blocking the aisle? They get in other people's way as well.

But by all means lets assume that this is all about ebil parents who choose to deliberately inconvenience others when they must have other choices but just decide not to just to be even more ebil.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Christie, the difference is that if it's a wheelchair or motorized scooter, the person will often ask for assistance, not walk away from their vehicle.

And I guess that means I shouldn't be ranting about the family that left ALL their packages in an aisle (with the mom's purse amongst the packages), barely being looked after by a child that was more interested in the Pirates of the Caribbean merchandise, right? Because heaven forbid I should be upset about the aisle being clogged by packages and purses!

And the Americans with Disabilities Act states that the aisles must be maneuverable enough for assistance vehicles to pass through- which our aisles are. Even for motorized vehicles that may require use of a hand controller, which are wider.

--------------------

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages