snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Just because you're old doesn't mean you can get away with cutting in line! (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Just because you're old doesn't mean you can get away with cutting in line!
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinakins:
Ohh, I have my own rant to add about elderly people.

I used to live in this complex with a lot of elders, and we shared a laundry room. It was early afternoon on a weekday and I had two or three loads I was doing but there were more than enough empty dryers for people to use.

However my loads were being dried in two particular dryer machines that this one older lady prefered, so right after the machine was done drying my clothes she immediately opened it and started touching MY belongings to take them out, while I was right there taking care of another load. I quickly went over and moved in her way to take them out myself.

I can understand people taking strangers' laundries out when all the machines are filled and they are not around to remove them themselves, although I never did that and just waited for them to return and get them. But my load had just finished, there were empty machines all around for her to us, and I was standing right there. She completely ignored me too.

Also, I was in cafeteria once and walking along a bagel cart when this old lady walking perpendicular to me almost ran into me (I guess she wanted to see the bagels in front of her) and them told ME that I should watch where I go. She also treated me like I was 10 (I appear very young, but I'm really 18) and was picking on me while I was getting bagels for myself and was telling me I should take everything I touch.

Woo... okay. That was a hijack, but I could definitely relate here, and I feel like sometimes I just have to deal with their crap just because they're old and gross. And all I am to them is some little girl.

That was my first rant on these boards... thanks. [Wink]

People can't touch *your* clothes but you feel free to touch unwrapped food that you then leave for some else to buy? And old people are gross? Time for a reality check I think.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
One of the very first things I learned in the newspaper business is never, ever, ever, refer to a woman as "elderly." I don't care if she's 115 -- if you call her "elderly," someone will complain.

Okay. Never call them 'elderly.' Check. But tell me, if circumstances warrant, am I allowed to go with 'Listen up, you mannerless old bat...'?

Barbara "I suppose 'crone' is somewhat frowned on too, right?" Mikkelson

Only if gross old people are allowed to respond with "No, (generic)you listen up, you rude poc."*

Seriously, I might think it but would never call anyone a poc. But once I did tell the two little poc's who were taking forever to sack my groceries that I'd appreciate it if they'd stop discussing getting laid the previous night and do their job because I wasn't interested in their sex life and had other things to do after I left the store. The young grossters(TM) glared at this old grosster(TM), but they shut the hell up and did what they were being paid to do. This old grosster(TM) even gave a tip, as usual, to the young grosster(TM) who carried out the sacks of groceries. Eewww. How gross of me.  -

*Piece of crap, as opposed to piece of sh*t, which I wouldn't call anyone under any circumstance. That's because I am a gross old person, doncha' know.  -

Signora Del "proud member of the last group that it is apparently acceptable ( [Confused] ) to bash" Drago

ETC: spelling because "memeber" is not a word. [Embarrassed] [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
Signora Del "proud memeber of the last group that it is apparently acceptable ( [Confused] ) to bash" Drago

There is a certain poetic justice though. Anyone out there who thinks its a-ok to bash "old people" is living in a fool's paradise if they think old age is never going to happen to them. If they are lucky of course.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point, Christie. Thanks.
Set your irony meters, folks!

By the way, old folks apparently can't spell, either. [lol] The last time I checked, "memeber" wasn't a word.

ETRemove unnecessary quote.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Barbara "I suppose 'crone' is somewhat frowned on too, right?" Mikkelson

Unless they're Pagan, in which case you're complimenting them. [Big Grin]

Signora, you'd have liked my friend Stacy's gandmother. She died last year, but she was known to go up to those boys with their pants beltend under their butt cheeks and ... pull them down. They'd turn around all mad and embarrassed and there'd be this 4 1/2 foot tall 87 year old lady there. What were they going to do?!

Although, I think when I'm that old, if that look is still around I'm going to pull them up. I'm already seeing more than I want to.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zekaille
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zekaille     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Signora (and all),

I have a couple of stories about waiting in line with our "National Treasures" (is that nicer than elderly, crone, old or senior???).

I've posted this tale before, but I think it is still pertinent (I was trying to spell "relevant" and can't get it right--mental pause, don't ya know?).

My Mom, bless her soul, had a lot of health problems during the last twenty some years of her life. After she had recovered from open heart surgery for a quadruple bypass, she and my Dad were out, hitting tag sales and thrift stores and chose to stop at a Burger King for lunch. Mom lost her sight to diabetes when in her sixties and she was now, perhaps, seventy two. Dad would help her get to the ladies' room and then she could usually just feel her way from there.

Well, as she was waiting in line behind a young mom and HER kids, a bus pulls into the lot and disgorges (you guessed it) a huge lot of senior citizens who all had one goal in mind: the bathroom. Mom figured that, as there was only the one room and they would line up quietly and wait their turn. No such a thing.

One of the women started pushing everyone already in line (including my blind mother) out of the way. "Please get out of the way and let us in, WE are senior citizens."

Mom refused to move, drew herself up and announced "Excuse me, I am also a senior citizen, I'm seventy two and I've survived heart failure, diabetes, glaucoma and kidney trouble and I believe I outrank you and so does the lady in front of me with the children!" The woman muttered, but she slunk to the back of the line taking her pack of Entitleds with her. Go, Mom!

My other story really makes me smile. It's another restroom story. I'd been on vacation with a friend and as it was a hot day, I had consumed more than my share of fresh vermont homemade lemonade. I had been making my poor friend stop at every place that had a restroom.

We stopped at a roadside rest and I made a mad dash...only to see that there were at LEAST forty five women all in their late sixties and early seventies ahead of me. I was in the kind of godawful pain that only comes from having consumed about five glasses of lemonade in rapid succession, but I KNEW I could not cut in line and would die before doing so.

All of a sudden, a sweet, gray haired lady with a southern accent as sweet as sugared honey stopped on her way out of the rest room, looked at me (I must have looked HORRIBLE) and slipped her arm through mine.

"Come on, honey," she said "I think your need is greater."

I protested, but she was a strong little gal and she hauled me up past the others, got me to the front, all the while telling me that they were the Singing Gospelettes from (I can't remember where) Texas and they were on tour and so on. At the front of the line she put me under the care of "Sister Sarah". "This young lady was doing the potty dance at the back of the line, Sister," she said "so I want you to let anyone who complains understand that she REALLY has to go."

The other ladies chuckled as I thanked them (blushing profusely) and took my place. "Oh, honey," said Sarah "we have all been there, don't be embarrassed. Wait until you're our age."

I later told my friend I was not allowed to gripe about pushy seniors for at least two months. It's some twenty years later and I try to use the example of the choir director and Sister Sarah all the time. If I see someone doing the potty dance and I'm not desperate, I always step aside and let them go first. I hope they all are passing it forward, so to speak.

Ze "my eyeballs are floating in my head!" Kaille

--------------------
"Oh, you're nothing but two ears and a hat!"--my (then) 4 year old niece, following an argument with her uncle

Posts: 100 | From: Bridgeport, CT | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinakins:
Ohh, I have my own rant to add about elderly people.

And then you went on to post two anecdotes about "elderly" people who did things that annoyed you.

How would you respond if Signora or I came on and gave two anecdotes about somethings two teenagers did which annoyed us, but blamed it totally on their being teenagers and not individuals who did annoying things?

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 82 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
People can't touch *your* clothes but you feel free to touch unwrapped food that you then leave for some else to buy?

Didn't I just say exactly that?

tag *invisible woman* urit

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
By the way, old folks apparently can't spell, either. [lol] The last time I checked, "memeber" wasn't a word.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You ought to see the butchered spelling a couple of the young'uns came up with earlier in this thread for "pampered moose."

Barbara "which apparently some of them can see from their windows" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
How would you respond if Signora or I came on and gave two anecdotes about somethings two teenagers did which annoyed us, but blamed it totally on their being teenagers and not individuals who did annoying things?

The sad thing is that it'd probably have no effect. Teenagers have been fair game for a while, and they are all sex crazed shoplifters who beat up puppies whilst in ecstasy in their spare time, at least if you read the popular press. Just as my kids won't fit this stereotype, nor will my old folks. It's only other people's kids or parents who pull this kind of crap.

Mnemonic to remember who to spell ecstasy; Emily couldn't stand taramasalata and started yelping.

More non-sequiter fun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
]Since the only French I learned was in high-school many years ago, and I've forgotten most of it, would you like to explain?

There's not a lot too explain, actually. It's a common joke amongst my generation that we learn most of the French from cereal boxes and know the cereal mascots' names in English and French. I didn't actually get what the others were going on about myself, but the cereal box French joke seemed appropriate.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Being rude in lines isn't limited to the older folk. Age, sex, nationality, doesn't matter.

I've made quite a few rants about a certain nationality this past summer, all because of their collective rudeness in packs.

And all we could do is ask the teens (who pretended to not understand English) to go to the back of the line.

Cliff's Notes version of one example from this summer:
8 kids go to the back of the line to wait patiently. As they were about 3 groups away, 10 more kids came into the line to meet them. And I wouldn't have any of it. I couldn't tell who was in the line from the beginning, so I just chose 8 of the kids to take pictures with. The way I feel, if it's one or two others, that's fine, because they may have run to the bathroom. But ten? No way.

The area I'm in, the older people are really nice. Men almost always hold the door open for women of any age, and most of the women I've encountered if I've accidentally cut in front of them, or ask if they're in line, are really sweet.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
quote:
People can't touch *your* clothes but you feel free to touch unwrapped food that you then leave for some else to buy?

Mea culpa! I am guilty of posting a response without reading the rest of the thread first. I don't do this very often and will be more careful in future not to do it at all. 10 [fish] for me.

--------------------

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
quote:

Mea culpa! I am guilty of posting a response without reading the rest of the thread first. I don't do this very often and will be more careful in future not to do it at all. 10 [fish] for me.
Careful, Christie, you know how mean and nasty those old folks get when you cross them....

[Sara runs as fast as her old knees can take her and hides.}

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 505 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's ok, Christie. I know you wouldn't do something like that intentionally. It's only because it comes on the coattails of other similar incidence that I even take note, the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. [Wink]

ETA: shouting to Sara to come back because I only wanted to ask if you think we can get that knee replacement thingie done on the buddy plan and get a discount!

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: Cutting people off in traffic, I just witnessed the most blatant case of this. I was in a fairly long line of traffic waiting at a traffic light. Someone in an SUV squeezed past the entire line on the right, driving with two wheels on the sidewalk. I assumed this guy intended to turn right at the intersection (Not a practice I particularly like, but it's not nearly as bad as what he actually did). What he did was force his way in front of the line of cars going straight when the light turned green.

But it doesn't end there. Once traffic was moving (slowly, since this area gets congested sometimes) the guy who had originally been at the front of the line, presumably angry at the guy who cut in front of him, squeezed past the first guy on the right in order to retake his "rightful" position in line.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did some Christmas shopping today and all the stores I went to were packed. I must say that it appears that the whole city took some kind of "nice" pill! Everyone was courteous and friendly. And I only saw 3 people that were to lazy to drive their car to a parking spot instead of sitting in the middle of the road waiting for someone.

I felt so bad though. Granted, I came out of an isle that had a big display blocking the view. But I ran right into this poor girl. She was probably in her early 20's and extremely pregnant. I ran right into her backside and almost knocked her down. She said she is due next Tuesday. I felt like such an ass. After apologizing profusely and making sure she was ok, I thought I was going to cry!

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Really, it has nothing to do with age and everything to do with CONSIDERATION.

Or lack thereof. Like -- this has happened more than once -- when I'm in the middle lane, and the right lane is about to vanish:
code:
---------------------------------------
-- > -- >
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-- > -- > me
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - /-------
-- > -- > asshole /
------------------------------/

And the asshole in the huge SUV -- AFTER the lane-marker lines have stopped -- guns his engine and slams past me in the tiny vee-shaped space. That is absolutely terrifying.

Or the driver who cut across the entire road including my lane, missing my front bumper by less than a foot, and took up station in the BIKE LANE.

Or the two pedestrians who stopped dead to do the macho-guy-hug thing and damn it's good to see you how long has it been? ... IN the pedestrian-crossing stripes, RIGHT IN FRONT OF WHERE I WAS WAITING TO MAKE A TURN.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:
]Since the only French I learned was in high-school many years ago, and I've forgotten most of it, would you like to explain?

There's not a lot too explain, actually. It's a common joke amongst my generation that we learn most of the French from cereal boxes and know the cereal mascots' names in English and French. I didn't actually get what the others were going on about myself, but the cereal box French joke seemed appropriate.
Sometimes you have to hit me with a clue by four, but thanks to you and to Barbara, I finally got it! Learning about your joke made the light bulb come on. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I gotta tell you, this thread is reminding me of exactly why I greatly dislike people in general.

Especially when I have to go out this time of year. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate going to a Mart store for any reason this time of year. People are so damned rude, to each other, and to me, and to the poor customer service associates who have to put up with their nonsense.

Old, young, middle-aged, lying about their age, I don't care their age. Rude is rude, and when someone tries to disguise it as "expressing themselves" it just makes me want to get a baseball bat.

Yep, I have come to the conclusion that some people just deserve a good boot to the head. And should be given said boot to the head on a fairly regular basis.

Ms. 'well on my way to curmudgeonhood' K

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Koi:
I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate going to a Mart store for any reason this time of year. [snip] Yep, I have come to the conclusion that some people just deserve a good boot to the head. And should be given said boot to the head on a fairly regular basis.

Conundrum, that. Where other than a Mart store can you afford to buy enough boots to go around?

Barbara

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Peacockalorum
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Peacockalorum   E-mail Peacockalorum   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
I think there was onus on both you and the driver to say something to her. "Are you getting on, ma'am? If not, please step aside so others can." It was absolutely appropriate for you to assert yourself there. She didn't miss a bus for you, you missed the bus because neither you nor the driver tried to prompt her into moving.

Correct, Jenn. Mea culpa... I think she baffled me into silence.
Plus, this was the same woman who told my brother he should be at school at 6.30 in the evening, and threatened to call the police when he showed her the time. [Eek!]

Perhaps it was the same bus driver who (despite the bell being rung, and my moving from seat to the doors) drove blithely past my stop.

--------------------
"The outrageous is the reasonable, if introduced politely." -Charles Fort
"A chicken? To celebrate the birth of our Lord- a chicken?!"

Posts: 11 | From: Midshires, UK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Koi:
I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate going to a Mart store for any reason this time of year. [snip] Yep, I have come to the conclusion that some people just deserve a good boot to the head. And should be given said boot to the head on a fairly regular basis.

Conundrum, that. Where other than a Mart store can you afford to buy enough boots to go around?

Barbara

How true this is! And it's just SO frustrating, because of course, you get those boots, and then wait in line forever at the cash registers, and of course, there has to be a price check done....

I could go on and on, but I think I'll stop there before frustrating myself again.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever I read about people exceeding the number of items for the express lane, I pray for the cashier that looks at the 22 items and asks, "So, which 15 items did you want me to ring up?"

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding premature loaders at checkout counters, I haven't had occasion, but my style (if a polite request hasn't worked) is to run with their stupid choice until they realize they're inconvenienced too. Let them use up space I need, and when I run out, pluck my remaining items out of the cart exactly one at a time to be scanned.
Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by Roadie:
Whenever I read about people exceeding the number of items for the express lane, I pray for the cashier that looks at the 22 items and asks, "So, which 15 items did you want me to ring up?"

You know, if you think about it, the middle amount people really get screwed over. That person with 22 items.....is s/he in the express line because every other lane has three people with overflowing carts full of two weeks worth of groceries lined up and waiting to check out? My tolerance is based on more than number of items. If there are no or very few people in the express lane and the regular lanes are full with people with those overflowing carts, I have no problem with someone taking 22 items to the express lane. If the express lane is backed up to the meat department and most of the people in the regular lanes have carts half full, then the person with 22 items can go to the regular lanes.

--------------------

Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:
Originally posted by Roadie:

You know, if you think about it, the middle amount people really get screwed over. That person with 22 items.....is s/he in the express line because every other lane has three people with overflowing carts full of two weeks worth of groceries lined up and waiting to check out? My tolerance is based on more than number of items. If there are no or very few people in the express lane and the regular lanes are full with people with those overflowing carts, I have no problem with someone taking 22 items to the express lane. If the express lane is backed up to the meat department and most of the people in the regular lanes have carts half full, then the person with 22 items can go to the regular lanes.
I get confused when I have multiples of the same thing - are two gallons of milk one item or two? A bag of tomatoes - one or four? Two six-packs of soda - 1, 2, or 12???? Does the plastic ring thing count? For the love of Mike, someone help me out, here!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Roadie... when thinking "items," think "containers." A bag of produce is one item, as it is weighed as one item, not each tomato separately. A 6-pack is 6 cans, but a single pack, so it, too, is one item. Check out the weirdness as 4 6-packs is 4 items, but a case (same number of units, but all contained in a single box) is only one. I'm wondering if your post might have been a bit tongue in cheek, as you would not count a loaf of bread based on how many slices there were. Twenty-seven cans of Campbell's chicken soup is 27 items, even tho they're all the same thing. [Smile]

To some posters (I forget all the names, apologies), while there are some people who are not doing the greatest job of monitoring their language, I don't think that anyone here is intending to say, "All old people suck. All old people are mean. All old people are rude." (At least, I hope they aren't.) For example, I know some old people who should have their driver's license taken away... however, I know MANY 70 year olds who drive WAY better than my 20-something BIL.

Someone posted on this thread (I'm horrible at remembering names, so apologies that I'm not giving you your props the best way possible) very wisely pointed out that people are either rude or not, and often do not change because of their age. A nice child will most likely turn into a nice adult and nice old person. An asshat child will likely age along similar lines. So if someone posts, "This old bat..." I honestly don't think they're implying, "And therefore, I believe that ALL old people are like this."

If we can merge the old people with the driving thing, I nearly got sideswiped by a couple older drivers (grey hair, didn't see them close enough to guess an age) who were turning left in front of me so that they would cross in front of me. (I feel I'm not explaining well... these folks were coming from the street perpendicular to the one I was on.) Anyhow, in both situations, I had to slam on my brakes to avoid a collision. Both times, I laid on my horn to warn them, and both times, they didn't so much as bat an eyelash. They seemed entirely oblivious that I was there.

For one of those occasions, my mom was there and she told me that apparently there was some phantom study where it was determined that older drivers get kinda dangerous when it comes to making left-hand turns, and they don't really notice the lanes of traffic that they are turning against. NO idea if this is true, and... given how this has only happened to me a couple of times and there are WAY more than a couple of older drivers on the road, I'm just not sure how well supported this is. Has anyone else heard of this study?

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two containers of milk would be counted as two.

A bag of tomatoes is 1, because it's one unit. (The bag)

Two six-packs is 2.

Basically, think of it as how many times the cashier will have to run something across the scanner.

**Spanked! The noive! [Smile] I was in the middle of posting when I was called upon to perform my job. **

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
I'm wondering if your post might have been a bit tongue in cheek,

[Wink]
quote:
as you would not count a loaf of bread based on how many slices there were.
Oooo, that's a good one! [Razz]

Yes, yes, yes, I was joshin'. Honest!

--------------------

Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have another supermarket ettiquette question - would anyone here pick an item off the conveyor belt from the person in front's shopping to look at it ? Someone did this to me a couple of months ago, and calmly read the packaging in something I was buying...

I was actually left speechless. I could only manage a deadly glare, that did appear to be having some effect.

Regarding rude and terrible old people - I still remember the horror of getting the bus outside my school on Wednesdays. The bus stop was outside a bingo hall, and on Wednesdays the bingo was slightly later and the school let out half an hour earlier - and the school girls reached the bus stop before the old people (And it was entirely old people at the afternoon bingo, though the evening events may have been more diverse). And they were AWFUL, they would come to the bus stop later, and just push in front (I mean, actually shove), and they would lecture us on our manners. I once saw an old woman hit a girl with her walking stick [Eek!] because the girl refused to let her on the bus first, and said (quite correctly) that she had been there first...

Which reminds me of something else that annoys me - having a priority for seating on a bus does not mean you have a priority for barging on. It is just rude. Old people should wait, and then if there are no seats they should be offered them...(also pregnant women...and people who use small children like battering rams).

I do find I am less and less inclined to give up my seat to people though. Partly because it is so much harder to judge peoples ages, and because where people are obviously trying to look young (dyed hair etc.) I am reluctant to offend them. I also refuse to give up my seat if targeted as a weak link, I get quite insulted about that.

I recently had a pregnant women ignore all the level access seats (with signs saying to give up seats to those in greater need, and no one sitting in them having any obvious need for them) just to stand by me and look exaggeratedly pathetic, and then when I didn't move to glare at me. As her extremely heavily applied perfume induced a migrane, which was considerably exacerbated by the music she was playing out loud and without headphones from her mobile phone, I don't think I could have stood anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
quote:
Originally posted by ChelleGame:
Right, like I wanted to step into THAT minefield, and discount someone who is just a little worse for the wear.

I once got a senior discount at a local theater. I was so senile, I didn't notice until I realized our tickets didn't add up right. I kept the ticket and I still have have it in my wallet...
My mother (who is still only 56 masqueraded as a pensioner for a couple of years, following a mistake at a cinema. She was given a senior discount rather than a disability discount, and it was about 20 pence more...and she took to pretending to be "senior" whenever she went to the cinema. What she didn't know is that the cinema she goes to most often has a different scheme, and with 2 people buying tickets the disabled person (with the "carer" going completely free) saves about £5 compared to the senior ticket. So she managed to rip herself off for 2 years.

I wouldn't find it quite so funny except for the same 2 years she was ripping me off everytime we went to the cinema together. She is always early for everything, and therefore always bought the tickets. And everytime she told me the price for my ticket was 10p more than it really is (I do believe this is due to poor maths, but I still haven't forgiven her).

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by ChelleGame:

Basically, think of it as how many times the cashier will have to run something across the scanner.

What if you have six cartons of milk and the checker can code in 6X and scan once? Are six cartons of milk one thing or six? What if all you are buying two a case of beans, 24 cans, but the checker only has to scan one can?

I like the stores whose express lanes have signs that say "about" so many items.

--------------------

Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose in that case it would depend on the store- most places have smaller belts in the express lanes here so things like cases wouldn't scan. If the item was marked with a case price, it is one item, if it is 24 cans it is 24 items. The reason I say this is because when I worked at Fred Meyer we were required to scan -each and every- scannable item and could in fact be reprimanded or teminated if we didn't. The reason seemed to be the fact they used an extremely specific inventory system in the computer and wanted every item to be listed.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Victoria J:
I have another supermarket ettiquette question - would anyone here pick an item off the conveyor belt from the person in front's shopping to look at it ? Someone did this to me a couple of months ago, and calmly read the packaging in something I was buying...

I was actually left speechless. I could only manage a deadly glare, that did appear to be having some effect.
Victoria J

YMMV, of course but I treat it as once an item is in the possession of someone, it is theirs. If they put it in their cart if I pick it up it would be no different than taking something out of their pocket or purse. Same with on the belt.

Edited because I hit the wrong button

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tinakins
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tinakins     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately some of you have gotten the wrong impression of me. No, I don't really think all old people are gross. I've had good and bad experiences with old people just as I've had with all different types of people. However because this thread was concerning elders specifically, I chose to give my own stories out just as everyone else had.

And no, I didn't say that I was touching the bagels. I said that I was being picked on and this lady was lecturing me about touching them. And yes, I do have a problem with strangers touching my laundry.

Posts: 10 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages