snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » I've lost my mind (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I've lost my mind
Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Saran Wrap   E-mail Saran Wrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had a very boring morning sitting at my desk working on "busy work" that doesn't even have to be started until two weeks from now. I often write little notes on post-it pads that remind me about something. Currently I have a post-it that says "8th-Phyllis-11" which reminds me that I need to take Phyllis to the doctor on the 8th, at 11:00 am. I also have a note that says "Dude" which reminded me to tell my mother that her friend's mother (Dude) died.

And underneath that note, in my handwriting, is a note that says "Richard Wyatt." I have absolutely no recollection of writing that name. I have no clue who Richard Wyatt is. I have no idea what this note might possibly mean, only that it magically appeared after I wrote the note about Dude. I have only spoken to three people on the phone today, and none of them have any recollection of a Richard Wyatt. There are no Wyatts in my computer system, no Wyatts mentioned in emails, no reason at all for there to be a note about Richard Wyatt (in MY handwriting) on my desk. I'm only 26! I'm too young to start feeling senile! [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
"I find in myself desires which nothing in this earth can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 57 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, I'm Richard Wyatt, are there any messages for me? [fish]

I do this a lot. I write myself notes and I can't even read them, let alone figure out what the hell they meant. Right now, there's a text file on this computer with nothing but a big long alphanumeric string. I assume this is either
  • a password to something
  • a confirmation number for something
  • a 16-bit encoded recipe for pumpkin cheesecake, or
  • something else.
I have no idea which.
Welcome to the senility club. It's so much fun waking up to a whole new world every day! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, BTDT. The worst part? It'll come to you, probably in the middle of the night, about a day and a half too late. Happens to me all the time. I think my brain hates me. Or else I'm asking way, way too much of it.

I love that tshirt that says, "In my next life I'm having more memory installed"

That sums it up for me.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this help?:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22richard+wyatt%22

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Throw Texas at the end of that google and see if that helps narrow it down some.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saran Wrap   E-mail Saran Wrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried the Google thing, but the only thing that looked relevant was the essay on schizophrenia. [fish]

ETA: stupid computer, I wasn't done typing!

--------------------
"I find in myself desires which nothing in this earth can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 57 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh do I know this feeling.

Because I fancy myself a writer I carry notebooks with me and jot down clever things I think of. Because I fancy myself a drinker these things are often either illegible or incoherent when I go back to read them. I've said "what the hell is that supposed to mean?" whilst staring at my own sloppy writing more times than I can count.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saran Wrap:
I have no clue who Richard Wyatt is.

Um, he's my dad.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Saran Wrap, how could you forget Trollface's dad?

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Right. Honestly, Saran Wrap. What were you thinking?

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
pob14, when I have long alphanumeric strings written down they're usually a) an order number, or b) a tracking number. Just as an attempt to help.

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saran Wrap   E-mail Saran Wrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Trollface, what is your dad's name doing on my neon green notepad? Is he planning an invasion of Texas, and I'm supposed to remember to vote for him or incur the wrath of Snopesters worldwide?

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I could ask him, but if that's the case, then he's not likely to tell, is he?

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Well, gee, Trollface, he might tell YOU and then you could tell US...

--------------------

Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

I've already blown his cover, so I guess he'll have to come up with another evil plot. I'm sure you'll inform us about the change of plans, won't you, Trollface?

--------------------

Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
wow posted in the complete wrong thread. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and I meant to add, I do the same thing, so don't worry. On second thought, I already *know* I've lost my mind long ago so... go ahead and worry if you want. [lol]

Case in point, a shopping list I started writing a while back. I tend to include both market and non-market items on the same list, separated by space, so that if I end up at someplace like the Wal-Mart supercenter which has both I can pick them up.

Well, anyhow, on that list amongst other stuff I wanted to pick up, I have "CD player" listed. And I can't figure out why!! I don't think I'd intended to buy one as a gift for anyone, and I have a working one here at home that I'm still happy with... The only thing I can think of is maybe I'd wanted to write down the name of a CD I wanted to pick up, and wasn't really paying attention while I was writing and happened to have my eyes drift over to the CD player and wrote the wrong thing absentmindedly, or something.

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another person who does this sort of thing all the time. At the moment I am trying to write a case record for advice given to a client when the only notes I have say "39 - Mortgage" and I have no memory of talking to this person, what their problem was or what I said.

My best ever though was when I spent a very long time on the phone to someone, while taking notes. I thought it was going pretty well and I was writing the notes down automatically. I was actually quite smug until I put the phone down and discovered that I had written perfect notes for my side of the conversation.

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
wow posted in the complete wrong thread. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

This is strangely appropriate. [Big Grin]

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by Saran Wrap:
I've already blown his cover, so I guess he'll have to come up with another evil plot. I'm sure you'll inform us about the change of plans, won't you, Trollface?

Actually, Trollface's father is going to invade Texas so poor Trollface will finally be able to warm up.

--------------------

Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're like me, you'll remember and blurt it out at the most inappropriate time. For example, a board meeting, a public restroom, or during sex.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
If you're like me, you'll remember and blurt it out at the most inappropriate time. For example, a board meeting, a public restroom, or during sex.

Or you could go for the hat trick and blurt it out while having sex at a board meeting in a public restroom.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

That might be a board meeting interesting enough to attend.

--------------------

Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once fell asleep in a history class while taking notes. The weird part was I started to dream and kept taking notes while I slept. The dream was quite weird. Too bad I could not read my notes after I woke up...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izunya
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izunya   E-mail Izunya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is why I finally stopped keeping a dream journal. I need my sleep too much to wake up in the middle of the night and write in long coherent sentences, so I tried to keep it short and try to expand on it in the morning.

Needless to say, although scrawled phrases like, "aliens---the wrong kind, though" or, "too many bunnies," were an interesting exercise in confusion, they ultimately didn't give me that much insight into my thought processes.

Izunya

Posts: 138 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adelaide
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pob14:
Right now, there's a text file on this computer with nothing but a big long alphanumeric string.

Did you recently take the O.W.L.s at the Harry Potter site, and could that be the code you enter to find out your results?

I just came across a scrap of paper the other day with mine on it and remembered that's what it was. Just another suggestion.

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have numerous phone numbers on Post It notes scattered about my desk at the moment. I rather fancy phoning one and saying "Who are you?" when they answer.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Saran Wrap   E-mail Saran Wrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remembered!

I had actually spoken to FOUR people on the phone, not three, I had just blocked out the call from the insurance telemarketer. I guess I scribbled his name down because I was bored.

So, Trollface, is your father selling insurance?

ETA: sorry, my revelation didn't occur anywhere interesting, like during sex in the bathroom during a board meeting. I'm sorry I'm so boring.

--------------------

Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a notepad right here beside my saying

I guess I was calculating something, or at least started to - but what? and why?

Don "255" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saint Gryphon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint Gryphon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stormfeather:
Well, anyhow, on that list amongst other stuff I wanted to pick up, I have "CD player" listed. And I can't figure out why!! I don't think I'd intended to buy one as a gift for anyone, and I have a working one here at home that I'm still happy with... The only thing I can think of is maybe I'd wanted to write down the name of a CD I wanted to pick up, and wasn't really paying attention while I was writing and happened to have my eyes drift over to the CD player and wrote the wrong thing absentmindedly, or something.

Do you live with someone? I do this to my better half all the time. I keep adding a Wii to the list but I never see her bring one back [Big Grin]

Other things I am well known for adding to the shopping list, dehydrated water, limpet mines, space ships and small countries. I still don't own any of them [Frown]

--------------------
Defender of dragons and slayer of fair maidens

Posts: 83 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't use a notebook in school, but take all class notes on my laptop. Anytime I need to write something down quickly, I put it on an index card. Thus, my bag is filled with index cards listing library call numbers and all sorts of random things.

One of my latest creations: "Barnes, Cavadini, Hill, Muller, Lancaster, See Sermon 52.2, Thomist 60 123-139, Aug. Studies 26 51-79 BR65.A9A9, Kaepelli - SJS, Rupert of Deutz"

I know who and what all of those words stand for, but I have no idea what my thought process was at the time.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
I once fell asleep in a history class while taking notes. The weird part was I started to dream and kept taking notes while I slept. The dream was quite weird. Too bad I could not read my notes after I woke up...

I tend to need a lot of sleep, and I can fall asleep pretty easily in weird places. I couldn't have made it through college, with the little amount of time I had for sleep after doing my studying, if I didn't perfect what I called "sleep notes". I would stay awake during the first few minutes of class, and the last few minutes of class, when most new or important information was covered. The time in between, my concious mind would be asleep, but my subconcious would be awake enough to wake me whenever the professor would write something on the board. I would open my eyes, copy down the formula, then go back to sleep. I know I drove the professors nuts, because I'd always sit pretty much front and center, too. One professor mentioned to my mother at graduation that I was the only student who could sleep through all of his classes and still get an A.

Anyway, this sleep note taking worked pretty well, as long as I wasn't more tired than usual. If I had a particularly late night, or was sick or whatever, I wouldn't fall mostly asleep, I'd fall all the way asleep (drooling into my palm, etc). One time I apparently started dreaming in the middle of trying to take a note, and my formula came out looking something like "x=y^2 except when the ice cream's done".

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

So when will the ice cream be done? I don't like math, but if there was ice cream I might change my mind.

--------------------

pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adelaide:
quote:
Originally posted by pob14:
Right now, there's a text file on this computer with nothing but a big long alphanumeric string.

Did you recently take the O.W.L.s at the Harry Potter site, and could that be the code you enter to find out your results?
I have never taken any owls, and I wouldn't know what to do with them if I did take any. I didn't even know they were missing! [Big Grin]
I gave up on Harry Potter about ten pages into the first book, so that's not it.
quote:
pob14, when I have long alphanumeric strings written down they're usually a) an order number, or b) a tracking number. Just as an attempt to help.

Ah, a tracking number . . . yes, that may very well be it! I feel better now.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Gryphon:
quote:

Do you live with someone? I do this to my better half all the time. I keep adding a Wii to the list but I never see her bring one back [Big Grin]

Other things I am well known for adding to the shopping list, dehydrated water, limpet mines, space ships and small countries. I still don't own any of them [Frown]

That's neat! If I where living with you, I would be tempted to get a Wii (or a small country) just for the fun of putting it it the shopping bag with all the other stuff and then ask you to "put the groceries away".

To continue the hijack: I like your screen name and sigline, too - mostly for the part that whenever I'm explaining what RPG's are about, it will involve the line "... and the group gets some kind of quest, like freeing the fair dragon from the claws of the fire-breathing maiden or something like that ..."

Don "Dungeon Master" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages