snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Those who know my mind better than I do (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Those who know my mind better than I do
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:

Example: my sister is a rollercoaster freak. She knows I hate them, but they make her feel "giddy-happy-thrilled". Would it be right for her to make me go on a rollercoaster just because she likes them so much?

No, not saying it would be right at all, but it just so happens you have stumbled on a good example.

I used to never, ever, ride rollercoasters, and I had people hassling me about how much I would enjoy them if I'd just get on one *all the time*. If your sister doesn't do that to you, I'm thinking she's more of the exception that the rule.

Funnily enough, I did get harassed enough about it that I finally did get on a rollercoaster. And it turns out I do like them. [Big Grin] And I, in turn, often find myself saying to my younger brother, "Oh, but I wouldn't ride them when I was your age either, then I got on one and I loved it!" See? I don't even *mean* to be "that kind of person" but it sure is an easy mode to slip into.

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Dave, for the Mitchell quote. And I agree with you about Carey, there are clearly two syllables in "silver" in every version I've ever heard Joni sing.

For that matter, even if the word was "silk", it still wouldn't suggest bondage to me. People, particularly female ones, do wear silk on occasions when they're not getting tied up. I have.

But never mind, I shouldn't have started the digression in the first place. And congratulations to Embra.

Another point I keep in reserve for use when someone tries the "good for me = good for you" line is to tell them that I had about ten or a dozen wonderful experiences with LSD - but that I don't recommend it for just anyone else. I enjoyed it, while taking several precautions, but I don't necessarily assume that everyone else will obtain the same result.

And taking acid is a whole lot less permanent and life-changing than getting married or having a child.

Kilgore Trout

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monster Joe
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monster Joe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Monster Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always known I never wanted children. I wouldn't be much of a dad I'm afraid...
I was lucky enough to meet a girl who feels the same way as me. No kids for us, thank you.

My FIL won't settle for this. Nevermind that he doesn't really think highly of me, I'm obviously good enough to provide offspring [Roll Eyes]
He has two other daughters but as those aren't likely to get hitched anytime soon he brings up the topic of grandchildren quite regularly.
Apparently, we are selfish for wanting to live our own life instead of taking care of a child we don't want...

Edited to correct bad English

--------------------
You're saying "Long Live Rock n Roll!" not "Let's go home and drink a beer"

Posts: 43 | From: Belgium | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pondicherry Pi:
And I, in turn, often find myself saying to my younger brother, "Oh, but I wouldn't ride them when I was your age either, then I got on one and I loved it!" See? I don't even *mean* to be "that kind of person" but it sure is an easy mode to slip into.

That doesn't seem quite as bad, though. You're not telling your brother the same thing would happen to him, you're just telling him what happened to you. It doesn't have the same superiority complex as the other.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti Neon:
They are a little puzzled about why I'm not currently trying to replace that baby...

Mild hijak, but that is one of my HUGE pet peeves. If your dad died, no one would expect you to go out and get adopted by a new one.

But that's me. I'd rather grieve the gap I have than rush to try to fill it with something else. It's not fair to who has passed, and not fair to who is new, because neither may get the attention deserved.

But I digress severely.

I've also had people try to do my thinking for me. I walked out on a Christmas dinner at my aunt's because I spent too much time being told all of the things I did wrong during my divorce. Before the divorce, I spent too much time being told what I did and didn't see, did and didn't know, did and didn't believe.

Life's too short to let others do the thinking for you. Someone would miss a helluva lot along the way with that strategy.

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another poor, deluded person who doesn't want kids and will apparently change my mind one day. I have never wanted kids. When I was given a beautiful little doll crib that was made by my grandfather and a baby doll for it, I stuck the doll in the corner of the crib and gave the crib to my cat. I feel very strongly about child welfare and education and all kinds of good things like that, and I've even worked with related advocacy organization. I want children to have good lives and promising futures, I just don't want to be around them at all.

Added to this are health problems that make pregnancy dangerous for me and the baby. The possible death or at least shortened life span kind of dangerous. I usually keep this fact in reserve for when people get too pushy and annoying, and most of them back off with an "Oh, I'm sorry" and drop the subject entirely.

Most comments I get garner little more than an eye-roll from me these days, but one time I was stunned into speechlessness by an acquaintance who can't fathom that anyone could possibly not want children. She's very much the "But if you don't have kids what are you going to do with your life?" type. When I pulled out the "I could die" card, she countered with "But wouldn't it be worth it to leave a beautiful piece of yourself behind? And hopefully you'd be leaving your child behind with a wonderful father who would have that child as a beautiful reminder of you." WTF? No, it wouldn't be worth it! What kind of person sees dying due to childbirth and leaving one's spouse a widow and single parent to a newborn as a beautiful and meaningful experience worth going through?

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And hopefully you'd be leaving your child behind with a wonderful father who would have that child as a beautiful reminder of you.
Yeah, call me crazy, but I think the father would rather have a living wife than a dead one. But that's just me and my crazy notions on living.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I went to visit people at work three weeks after giving birth to my son, one of the teachers asked me when I was going to give the boy a sibling. All I could think was, "Can I at least heal from the c-section first???"

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to school for a career change. I'm 33 and everyone thinks I'm going through a phase and that there's no way I'll be happy earning a lot less. They seem to forget (or refuse to acknowledge) that I wasn't exactly happy with various aspects of the current career. I feel like screaming: "shut the NFBSK up!"

I also have a friend who I've grown farther and farther apart from in the last few years. If you don't do things in her life just like she does (like getting married, how she deals with her DH, when to have kids, etc. etc.), you're either doing something wrong or you'll see the light eventually and do things her way. It's very annoying.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm 30, and this is the first year I've noticed any sort of hormonal biological clock thing kicking in.

What form does it take? I now like the color pink (never really did before), and I think babies aren't quite as ugly as I used to. I still don't want to hold one, or really be around one, or least of all to have one of my very own.

My personal feeling on why people are so adamant about how everyone else should have children is that those with children think those without are somehow "getting away" with something. I know they love their children, but they also remember what it was like not to have them. I think it's related to the "things were better in my day" old man lament. It's not so much that things were better, but you feel better (and haven't usually been exposed to as much badness) when you're younger.

I don't often get too much backlash about my decision not to have children, although I do usually get the knowing smile that says "yeah, right, you'll change your mind". The most dramatic reaction I've had was my sister's live-in boyfriend, when he first saw the nice big house my SO and I bought. He said something about when we were going to have kids, and I said we aren't having any, and he responded "that's bull****!!!" Not that we were lying, but that he couldn't believe someone would have a house like this and not fill it with children. Granted he has something like 12 brothers and sisters, but even he would admit his mother probably shouldn't have had any.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChickyBee
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChickyBee   E-mail ChickyBee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lydia Oh Lydia
quote:
I also have a friend who I've grown farther and farther apart from in the last few years. If you don't do things in her life just like she does (like getting married, how she deals with her DH, when to have kids, etc. etc.), you're either doing something wrong or you'll see the light eventually and do things her way. It's very annoying.
Is your friend my SIL? Every time I see her, she and her hubby have more suggestions on how the Rooster and I should live our lives. We need to buy a house. We need to buy one in their area. We should buy a new car. We shouldn't let FIL get away with half the stuff he does. We shouldn't be paying so much per month for broadband internet and cable tv. We should be married by now. When we get married, we should do something she wants us to do, not what we want to do. We should have the Hatchling baptized into the same church as her kids were, regardless of our beliefs. We must not let the term 'Auntie' or 'Uncle' apply to anyone who isn't actually an Auntie or Uncle.

And then she had a small tantrum when I told her that last one was her decision, not ours and as far as I was concerned, we'd use the Auntie prefix with whoever the hell I wanted. She then went behind my back and got in the Rooster's ear. Cow.

Sorry, I didn't realize how much that was bugging me until Lydia's post.

--------------------
So many people are hung up on achievements. What did you do today? What are you planning? Sometimes, just getting through the day is an achievement in itself.

Posts: 256 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saint Gryphon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint Gryphon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me and my better half talked about children before and after we got married, decided to wait until we thought we were ready. My parent's already had 6 grandchildren so no pressure there, hers had none. They would constantly harp on both of us about giving them grand babies (note the plural).

About a year into our marriage we decided we wanted a child. So we did. We didn't tell anyone until she was about a month and half along. Then about 23 weeks we find out we are having twins. Gee thanks In laws now you got grand babies. Then 25 weeks along they are born premature. While they are still in the hospital fighting for their life we get people asking when we are having more! [Eek!] What the hell, can't we deal with this problem first before we get new ones?

--------------------
Defender of dragons and slayer of fair maidens

Posts: 83 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avu
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Blinkered, possibly, but, that's just kinda how people are, don't you think? I mean, it goes from anything from "Gee, this restaurant is really great, you should eat there' to "Gee, this life decision made me happy, you should try it!"

I might suggest a favorite restaurant to someone, yes. But if they respond with, "No thanks, I'd rather go to restaurant B..." or even, "No, I'm staying home and having warmed over gruel," I won't take it as a personal insult and spend 10 years trying to make them go to my favorite restauant.

But that's just me, I guess.

I'm another misguided soul who is missing out on the meaning of life. I've known this since I was a young child myself and was never shy about expressing it. Imagine the reaction to a 10 year old girl answering, "I don't like babies and I'm not going to have any!" Now, at 30, people are finally starting to believe me. If anything my aversion to parenthood has actually increased right when the old "biological clock" was supposed to start ticking.

I think being the oldest of 6 children might have something to do with it. I'm 16 years older than my youngest sibling. I used to get a lot of flack for it before my siblings started reproducing. Now, it's not so bad.

Posts: 64 | From: Fairbanks, AK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel Nereid:
quote:
And I, in turn, often find myself saying to my younger brother, "Oh, but I wouldn't ride them when I was your age either, then I got on one and I loved it!" See? I don't even *mean* to be "that kind of person" but it sure is an easy mode to slip into.

That doesn't seem quite as bad, though. You're not telling your brother the same thing would happen to him, you're just telling him what happened to you. It doesn't have the same superiority complex as the other.
You're also not telling him his life would have no meaning if he didn't get on the rollercoaster, or that he was unnatural or weird. *hmph*

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the problem is that so many people DO change their minds!

I am NOT saying that Mosherette will change. I personally do not make any such assumptions about anyone.

But it is a fact that lots and lots of people say they don't want marriage/children in their 20s and 30s. Then the nesting instincts kick in and suddenly they've done a 180.

I think when older people hear young people say they don't want marriage/children, they think it's equivalent to 7-year-olds saying the opposite sex is so icky. You think it's cute, but you know they will change their minds (and 99% of the time you're right).

Once again, I do NOT believe that all people who don't want marriage/children will change their minds, and I would never say it to anyone even if I did believe it. But it does happen an awful lot.

Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Top Kat:
I think when older people hear young people say they don't want marriage/children, they think it's equivalent to 7-year-olds saying the opposite sex is so icky. You think it's cute, but you know they will change their minds (and 99% of the time you're right).

Well, that's what people find offensive, isn't it? Most adults don't like being thought of, let alone talked to, as if they were cute 7-year-olds who don't know what they're saying.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:

Well, that's what people find offensive, isn't it? Most adults don't like being thought of, let alone talked to, as if they were cute 7-year-olds who don't know what they're saying.
True! It's rude, patronizing, and annoying. People should not tell you you will change your mind, even if they believe it.

But it is hard to convince them that you're serious because, statistically, it is likely that you really will change your mind.

Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Ooh, I just found an article in The Washington Post about childless women:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/24/AR2006112400986.html

Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But it is hard to convince them that you're serious because, statistically, it is likely that you really will change your mind.

I ask, in the great snopes tradition: do you have a cite for that?

I daresay if I hadn't had either a faulty condom or a birth control failure (I used both), I still wouldn't be a parent. Don't get me wrong, I love my daughter, and my SO's daughter and son, but I don't really care for children in general. I don't have any patience with any that I don't know very well because I find a good many children boring. I have known almost since I hit puberty that I was not a parental type, and it offended me when I was told I would change my mind. I have never changed my mind, really--circumstance conspired against me.

Another thing that bothers me as well is being told that I should have more children because I'm young and my daughter "needs a sibling." I have also heard that I'm not a capable or 'real' parent because I only have had one child. I didn't know that one was required to have multiple children to be considered a 'real' parent.

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what else is slightly annoying? When your SIL (except neither of us are married so she's my boyf's brother's fiance) has a baby, and then your MIL make 'hilarious' jokes about when you're going to have one. Even to the point of announcing over a family dinner that 'jessica's going to have a baby next year'. Oh my aching sides!

Along the same lines as the OP is "you and Mr Boo have been together ages- aren't you moving in yet?" or "bet you can't wait til he asks you to move in", or "5 years and not engaged?!" They don't believe me when I say that I don't want to move in. I like my own space. I like to be able to go to bed occasionally and not have to be quiet, or have the light off because he's already asleep.
And the 'engaged' thing- do they never think that it might be a bit of an issue, and it's quite hurtful to keep shoving it in my face that I 'don't have a ring yet'??

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ooh, I just found an article in The Washington Post about childless women:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/24/AR2006112400986.html

Hmm, I find that I just don't really relate to anything in that article at all. None of the author's reasons or feeling are things that I share, anyway.

I'm not apologetic about not wanting children, I don't feel the urge to defend myself to other people about it, and I certainly don't feel like "an outlaw." My income definitely isn't in the author's "annual incomes over $100,000" category, but if it were, I don't see how that would effect a decision that was made before I left grade school. I didn't help raise children as a teenager (I'm an only child), nor was I surrounded by them in other ways. I do have many younger cousins, but they are all in other states, so being around (and taking care of) them was pretty much left to holidays. I also don't have that "visceral urge" one way or the other - I've always said I wouldn't plan for it, but if "something happened," that would be OK, too.

I'm not really sure what the author's goal was for that article, but it felt to me that she didn't really even listen to herself. She said in one paragraph that her generalizations were wrong, and then proceeded to generalize away. It seems that she's still trying to work her way through her own loss, and that she doesn't really understand women who are childless by choice.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avu:
Now, at 30, people are finally starting to believe me. If anything my aversion to parenthood has actually increased right when the old "biological clock" was supposed to start ticking.

I'm the same. I think either a spring broke or one of the cogs fell out of my biological clock. Maybe I just forgot to wind it. In any case, I'm no more interested in the idea of having kids at 30 than I was at 15. The only difference is that I might be able to convince a doctor to tie my tubes for me now.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Bored and Dangerous:
quote:

I ask, in the great snopes tradition: do you have a cite for that?

Sorry, no cite, just anecdotal evidence. But of course anecdotal evidence is what people are going on when they tell you (generic you) you'll change your mind. I guess I shouldn't have used the word "statistically" for anecdotal evidence, though.
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
I think either a spring broke or one of the cogs fell out of my biological clock. Maybe I just forgot to wind it.

Em, may I have these for sig lines?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
You know what else is slightly annoying? When your SIL (except neither of us are married so she's my boyf's brother's fiance) has a baby, and then your MIL make 'hilarious' jokes about when you're going to have one. Even to the point of announcing over a family dinner that 'jessica's going to have a baby next year'. Oh my aching sides!

I know that one. I love a snuggle with someone else's baby, but around some people I'm reluctant to do it because I know I'm going to get "Aw, look at Neffti! Isn't she good with babies? Are you feeling clucky, Neffti? I bet you're going to run home now and make a start aren't you!"

The answers are in this order:-

Yes. No. No.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Being single and unattached, I catch less flack for being childless than it seems some of the rest of you do.

However, I decided when I was 18 that only marriage to a man who really, really wanted children would get me any of my own.

I'm very good with kids. I babysat longer as a teen than anyone else I know. I still babysit on very rare occasions. At the same time, I have always (for myself) believed in children on the rental principal. I borrow them and I can give them back when I'm through.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
quote:
Originally posted by Avu:
Now, at 30, people are finally starting to believe me. If anything my aversion to parenthood has actually increased right when the old "biological clock" was supposed to start ticking.

I'm the same. I think either a spring broke or one of the cogs fell out of my biological clock. Maybe I just forgot to wind it. In any case, I'm no more interested in the idea of having kids at 30 than I was at 15. The only difference is that I might be able to convince a doctor to tie my tubes for me now.
Don't count on it. I'd been told for years by various doctors that 30 was the magic number ("You'll change your mind. Come back when you're 30.")

I'm 30 now. Last time I went to the doctor I made my usual enquiry, only to be told that because I'm now single I'll have to come back when I'm 35 because I might meet the right man and change my mind. [Mad]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeaboeMuffinchucker:
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
I think either a spring broke or one of the cogs fell out of my biological clock. Maybe I just forgot to wind it.

Em, may I have these for sig lines?
[Big Grin] They're all yours.

quote:
... only to be told that because I'm now single I'll have to come back when I'm 35 because I might meet the right man and change my mind. [Mad]

I really didn't need to hear that. I haven't had to visit a doctor since my birthday, so I haven't gotten around to asking again after passing the magic number. I've been waiting until I had more reason to see a doctor than just a single question but I should just make an appointment.

Agreed on the [Mad]

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Yeah. I just gave them the Evil Look of Doom and bared my arse (for my contraception injection [Wink] )

One of the worst culprits of Meet The Right Man Syndrome has been one of my closest friends recently. She and I used to be two of a kind and then she went and met the right man and changed her mind about children and now whenever I see her I get the lecture.

I wonder if men ever get a Meet The Right Woman speech?

--------------------

Monster Joe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monster Joe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Monster Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes we do. When I started listening to metal, growing my hair and wearing torn jeans, band t-shirts and the like, I got the "oh, you'll soon change once you meet a nice girl" talk. Well, it was mostly addressed in a soothing tone to my mom, who didn't really mind my appearance half as much as the others.

I've ALWAYS known I don't want children. Apparently, that too would change as soon as I met this mistery perfect girl.
Well, guess what? I've met my perfect woman and she doesn't want children either...

--------------------

Posts: 43 | From: Belgium | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Monster Joe:
Well, guess what? I've met my perfect woman and she doesn't want children either...

Quite. I'll know he's the right man for me when I know he doesn't want children as much as I don't. Any expression of a smidge of interest in the issue and I'm off! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes we do. When I started listening to metal, growing my hair and wearing torn jeans, band t-shirts and the like, I got the "oh, you'll soon change once you meet a nice girl" talk. Well, it was mostly addressed in a soothing tone to my mom, who didn't really mind my appearance half as much as the others.
I take it your mother's friends didn't think that the nice girl could also listen to metal and wear torn jeans and band t-shirts then? I don't know whether your SO does or not, but I would love to know the reaction from your Mum's friends if she does.

One guy I was with (hem hem) a couple of months ago told me I hadn't seemed to be the type to have tattoos. I do sometimes wonder what kind of person people think I am, and whether that view alters on the basis of whether or not they know I have ink.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monster Joe

My SO does indeed listen to metal, wear band t-shirts and we both have ink.
So I guess they would be pretty apalled [lol]

They were mostly my mother's co-workers, none of whom she has seen in 10-15 years, so they're not around to see how I've proven them wrong.

--------------------

Monster Joe

BTW, I do believe a person's perception of someone changes with the knowledge they have tattoos. In many circles it's still not done, apparently.

--------------------

Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes we do.
Seconded! I've been saying since high school that I didn't see myself ever getting married, mainly because of the amount of s**t my dad had to take lying down over the years to make his and Mom's marriage work. The response, mostly from my parents' friends, has always been something along the lines of, "I'm going to be sitting there when you walk down the aisle, and I'll whisper, 'Remember?'!" Fifteen years later, they're still waiting for the chance to say that, and I intend to let them keep right on waiting. [Big Grin]

I used to try to be polite about the whole thing, and explain that I was simply more comfortable on my own. Nowadays I tend to be quite a bit less so!

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages