snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » very bad dreams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: very bad dreams
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 218 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The past few days I've been having really bad dreams. The first one I was involved in perpetrating some crime that involved heroin and lots of blood - somebody may have died. Then my (new) husband, davID, had gotten his own apartment, and didn't want to move in with me, even after I reminded him that we were married.

That one bummed me out for most of the day - mostly felt insecure that I would push away davID.

Last night I was part of a group that was fleeing this woman who was trying to kill one of the guys in the group. davID's sister somehow became linked to the woman who was trying to kill the guy, so I strangled her to keep the guy from getting killed. I didn't kill her, but she was unconscious and needed medical attention. We wiped away (!) the strangle marks and changed the security tape in the area to hide the evidence, and davID said his sister was going to go along with the story that she'd had a stroke so she could come back and kill me later. I felt awful - I had hurt someone badly, and was probably going to have to go to jail - the guilt was very heavy. Then I woke up.

I don't know why I'm having these heavily emotional dreams, whether it's just mental flotsam and jetsam or whether it means something...like maybe I'm waiting for bad stuff to happen, since everything is going well right now.

I just want these dreams to stop.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try writing them down. I do this with lots of dreams, but it especially helps with very bad ones. You can leave them on the paper and go about your day, and if you're lucky you may have a "eureka!" moment while you're writing them and bringing them into waking consciousness. You might remember snippets that help them make sense.

I had a dream about 10 years ago that I deliberately and seriously injured a kitten and it still upsets me to think of it now! Shoulda written it down at the time..!

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, you haven't been married long enough to want to kill David or for his sister to be plotting against you with him. [lol]

Seriously, welcome back, kiddo.

Still seriously, have you changed any meds lately? If not, maybe the stress of moving twice in a year, changing jobs, planning a wedding, getting married, and just everyday life is getting to you. Hang on. Let us know how you're doing. *hug*

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
I don't know why I'm having these heavily emotional dreams, whether it's just mental flotsam and jetsam or whether it means something...like maybe I'm waiting for bad stuff to happen, since everything is going well right now.

I just want these dreams to stop.

I vote for that. I have been having similar dreams and emotions coming up lately in response to something good.

But do write them down and figure out if there is a theme. It may be stuff that has nothing to do with what the subject of the dream seems to be. Sometimes nightmares are your subconcious' way of trying to get you to pay attention to something totally unrelated to the content of the dream.

For me, dreams about houses usually have to do with health, body, or feelings of security.

And welcome back!

ETA: Dreams of someone chasing me are usually rooted in me running away from something in myself that I don't want to face. Either that or total paranoia that the patterns of the past are going to catch up with me! [Smile]

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
have you changed any meds lately?

That was my first guess. Sometimes, my heart medication (that I take once in a while) will create these extremely violent dreams. Downright scary (and it is not just violence being done to me, I am also a participant...). I found out that weird dreams like that are actually listed as a side effect.

I know they can really bum you out, but try to repeat, "They are just dreams..." (again, what I do).

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks everyone! I will try writing, Neffti and TGirl - thanks for the suggestion.

Signora & Doug - no change in meds, but some changes in routine what with the honeymoon, and now coming back and having jetlag and all...so maybe that's part of it.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, just as an odd data point, I had a dream last night where I was Jon Stewart's (of Daily Show fame) roommate. We lived in a run-down place (similar to a typical college apartment I used to live in...). The fridge was small and did not freeze ice cubes well, so my tea was not nice and cold [Frown] [Confused] . Evidently, I kept asking Jon to explain his jokes and by doing so, ruined them so he could not use them on the show. [fish]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol]

--------------------

Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Often (tho not always) dreams are a surreal way of reliving a kind of stress you are feeling. For example, I have a recurring dream about driving a car, being in a situation where I have to slam on my brakes or else I'll hit the car in front of me, and my brakes just aren't working... or aren't working well enough. Either way, I'm going to hit the car in front of me.

Now, I'm not worried about a literal interpretation. I don't think it's a premonition that my brakes are going to fail. But the way I feel in these dreams, terrified and out of control, could mirror something going on in real life. Of course, I have yet to bother to try to connect the one to the other... mostly I just wake up with that "grr, had that no brakes dream again"... but I'm just trying to make the suggestion. If you go have a big fight with your hubby and go to bed without resolving it, you might have a dream about him leaving you. If you've recently had a death in the family, you might dream about something equally morbid that makes you feel that same sense of loss.

(ETA: One night when my baby was sleeping particularly horribly... up every hour on the hour, I had a dream that some family who were planning on visiting, showed up early JUST after I had gotten him to sleep, and were all clamoring to see the baby, not listening when I shooed them away.)

As far as what these particular dreams mean, I couldn't say. I agree that you should keep a journal of them if they are troubling you, so that you can reflect upon them later.

You can always tell yourself "it's just a dream," but that's not always the most comforting thing in the world. Either way, I sure hope that it either passes or comes to a resolution.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages