snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Getting a job (sort of a rant)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting a job (sort of a rant)
ComicBookGeek
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ComicBookGeek     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is more of a rant than anything I but would welcome honest comments.

In about a year, I should be done with my Master's Degree in Creative Writing. Problem is, I am totally sick of being in school. I'm tired of studying, I'm tired of working part-time jobs for minimum wage, I'm tired of thinking "some day....some day..."

I've been searching for some jobs in my field and I have found a few that looks like I may be qualified for and would stand a decent chance of getting hired. I hate not to apply for them.

If I get a job and quit school now, I feel I would have wasted 2 years and 20 grand, for I could have gotten these jobs with just a bachelor's degree and if I finished, I would at least have a MA for my trouble.

Yet, way I see it, if I don't apply for these jobs (and take them if they are offered) I may regret it in a year if they aren't avalible.

And isn't the point of college to help you get a good paying job?

Oy vey.

--------------------
My Blog

Posts: 177 | From: Mobile, AL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GoMeZu
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GoMeZu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a tough spot to be in. I guess the question I would ask is, if it is a good paying job with a bachelors, will it pay more with a masters. If so, then maybe take the job and earn the masters by finishing school part-time.

--------------------
That Damn Cow

Posts: 118 | From: Akron, OH | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Miles Invictus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Invictus   E-mail Miles Invictus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How bad is the job market for creative writing?

If you think you'll have trouble landing a job later, or if you really like the jobs that are currently available, you should apply now, and get your Masters part-time. When you get your Masters, renegotiate your salary.

Otherwise, continue with school full-time.

Posts: 236 | From: Iowa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ComicBookGeek

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ComicBookGeek     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
well, I am looking for a job in journalism. I've been training to be a journalist while in school. Creative Writing is more of a hobby, until I start making real money doing it.

The master's WOULD allow me to teach parttime, which is why I want to finish. But, rather I do it next year or in two years by going parttime, it makes no difference to me.

--------------------
My Blog

Posts: 177 | From: Mobile, AL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'd say definitely don't just quit school at this point, but as others have said if you can take a good job and work on the degree part-time, that sounds like a feasible plan. Might be a bit hectic for a while, but it'd really suck to waste all that time and money. Not that education in any form is ever really a "waste," but... you know what I mean. [Wink]

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LolaRennt
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LolaRennt   E-mail LolaRennt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the others - don't quit school. Arrange to work and attend school. You're too close to finishing up to drop out now.

LR

Posts: 780 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ComicBookGeek:

My answer: Hell, no.

The point of trade school is to help you get a good paying job. The point of college is to expose you to people, points of view, modes of thinking, types of literature, and other things you never otherwise would be exposed to. And, incidentally, to give you the depth of education you need to enter certain fields. (What possible job would a master's in Creative Writing prepare you for, anyway? I didn't even know you could get a master's in that!)

The undeniable fact that many colleges have positioned themselves as trade schools is not my problem. [Big Grin]

As to your actual question, I would take the job and do the degree part-time.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't quit now. One more year in school is really not very long to wait. Even if a specific job is gone there will be others opening up.

When I was going through a similar thing I saw a job advertised that I wanted. I called and explained that I was still in school and asked if they had any part time openings. I got an interview and they decided to hire me instead of looking for someone full time. When I finished school six months later I stayed there full time.

I realize it was a different field but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I applied on a whim. I didn't expect anything to come of it but I was pleastantly surprised by the results.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pob14:
quote:
Originally posted by ComicBookGeek:

My answer: Hell, no.

The point of trade school is to help you get a good paying job.

I wish someone would tell my university that. And 95% of the students who attend it. [Frown]

ComicBookGeek, if you really want a Master's, go ahead and finish. I've discovered that many of the jobs I've had to pass up (due to full-time school work) seem to be available again in some form or another a year or two later. If you're really interested in job offers you see, contact them and explain that you're currently a student who'd be interested in any future openings once you graduate. The company may offer you some part-time or volunteer work which will help you get a foot in the door when you're ready to look for a full-time gig.

I'm so sick of being in school, too. I'll graduate with my Bachelor's in May. Despite what my advisor and fellow students say, I know that I'll be better off in the long run taking a break from school before I decide to go back for a Master's. Today one of my professors told me "Don't listen to what anyone else says. It's so vital to get a Master's when you want to, when you're ready to do it." Which is what I knew to be true about starting college in the first place - that's why I didn't satrt college until I was 20.

However, if quitting school will make you feel like you've wasted all this time and money, don't do it. Continue your Master's program even if you decide to go part-time. Can you take a semester off?

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ComicBookGeek

I would do my best to transfer but some of the classes wouldn't change over.

I do not plan on getting a job in the city where I'm going to school.

--------------------
My Blog

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages