snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Plaintive Plea (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Plaintive Plea
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 06 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My heart aches. It's raining. Won't someone come take me away from work and hold me and hug me and lie snug in bed with me and listen with me to my compilation of Nick Cave's most beautiful love songs?

[Frown]

--------------------
If you don't cry it isn't love
If you don't cry then you just don't feel it deep enough

Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You had me till Nick Cave [Wink]

Why so blue if you don't mind me asking? Just one of those days? A wee bit of rain shouldn't get ya down...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh about 2 months ago, my SO and I broke up. I whined about it here a lot at the time. I've slowed down a bit in my public self pity, but I feel just as desolated. I'm still dreaming of him every night and waking up crying every day and all that nonsense.

Right now, with the rain and all, it's just perfect cuddling up in bed time, and I know I'm going home to an empty house & bed again tonight.

SO I'm throwing a pity party.

--------------------

Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, sorry to hear about your break-up remigo, and I hope the clouds break for you sooner rather than later.

It won't make you feel any better but I got binned years ago and to this day every time I think I see her, or every time a song comes on the radio 'bang' it all seems so real again.

Still, I look on this as the result of having loved someone, unconditionally, and although it's long over there's nothing to stop me looking back fondly and there's nothing to stop me feeling this kind of love again. Absolutely nothing [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gopher
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopher   E-mail gopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

SO I'm throwing a pity party.

Appreciate the invite mate. Its been a rough year for a lot of us. My So left Me April 2nd this year. You are right, the cold grey days just beg for snuggling up and ignoring the world. My cat trys to comfort me, but headbutts aren't the same.

Hope you can find some comfort in knowing you are not alone. Take care.

Posts: 130 | From: Kingdom of Northumbria | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Misery loves company.

--------------------

Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Remigo, lemme know if it persists- I'll ring ya and say some words in Irish. [lol]

We'll know it's *really* serious if you bring out the Jeff Buckley. (My personal love grief soundtrack was Catatonia's International Velvet- now I'm dating myself!)

The wintergreen, the juniper
The cornflower and the chicory
All the words you said to me
Still vibrating in the air
The elm, the ash and the linden tree
The dark and deep, enchanted sea
The trembling moon and the stars unfurled
There she goes, my beautiful world...

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

I know the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah was a special song between N and his long ago ex, so I haven't been able to listen to him at all in about 5 years without getting very unpleasantly twitchy.

quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
Remigo, lemme know if it persists- I'll ring ya and say some words in Irish. [lol]

Oh wow!! You're from Brooklyn - do you sound like the guys in the Departed? My name as Gaeilge is Clár Ní Anluain, so can you say
"Dia dhuit, Clár Ní Anluain, conas atá tú?"

I feel better already imagining it! Thanks for the distraction Ana Ng!

--------------------

Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Seeing as you're dating yourself Ana', I might as well show willing. My first 'Love Grief soundtrack' was Disintegration by the Cure [lol]

hopelessly drift
in the eyes of the ghost again
down on my knees
and my hands in the air again
pushing my face in the memory of you again
but i never know if it's real
never know how i wanted to feel
never quite said what i wanted to say to you
never quite managed the words to explain to you
never quite knew how to make them believable
and now the time has gone
another time undone
hopelessly fighting the devil
futility
feeling the monster
climb deeper inside of me
feeling him gnawing my heart away
hungrily
i'll never lose this pain
never dream of you again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disintegration

--------------------

Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This one works for me--a poem, not a song, but I'm not much for music:

What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why,
I have forgotten, and what arms have lain
Under my head till morning; but the rain
Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh
Upon the glass and listen for reply,
And in my heart there stirs a quiet pain
For unremembered lads that not again
Will turn to me at midnight with a cry.

Thus in winter stands the lonely tree,
Nor knows what birds have vanished one by one,
Yet knows its boughs more silent than before:
I cannot say what loves have come and gone,
I only know that summer sang in me
A little while, that in me sings no more.

-- Edna St. Vincent Millay

Hope you feel better soon.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Remigo, I'll join the pity party. I broke up with my SO of 11 months a little over a week ago.

Now I'm back at my parent's house until I can get back on my feet. I still don't sleep alone, though, as shelties are good to cuddle with. (Especially as though two of them will NOT leave the bed.)

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by remigo:
I know the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah was a special song between N and his long ago ex, so I haven't been able to listen to him at all in about 5 years without getting very unpleasantly twitchy.

The Leonard Cohen version might cheer you up... Oh, wait. Sorry.

I'm not sure what to suggest, since I've been single for so long that I've got used to it. I sympathise about the work, though - but only an hour and a half or so to go, unless you have stuff that you really should finish tonight, like I do.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Morrigan:
Remigo, I'll join the pity party. I broke up with my SO of 11 months a little over a week ago.

Now I'm back at my parent's house until I can get back on my feet. I still don't sleep alone, though, as shelties are good to cuddle with. (Especially as though two of them will NOT leave the bed.)

Morrigan

Sorry to hear that, at least you're surrounded by the unconditional love of family and pets!

--------------------

jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, theres been so much NFBSKing rain here today, I want in!
My roofs sprung a leak, and I've got soaked three times already running from the car to the office. To boot, I've a ticket for the uncovered part of Landsdowne road for tonight's game against mighty San Marino.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unconditional love of pets...yeah-family....maybe? *laughs*

Yeah. Well, we rented a house together, and he's got it until it's rented out again....

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My first 'Love Grief soundtrack' was Disintegration by the Cure [lol]
...and you survived?

quote:
Seeing as you're dating yourself...
Yeah, but you're on the wrong side of thirty... you're not getting away with anything! [lol] :ducks:

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by j whale:
Actually, theres been so much NFBSKing rain here today, I want in!
My roofs sprung a leak, and I've got soaked three times already running from the car to the office. To boot, I've a ticket for the uncovered part of Landsdowne road for tonight's game against mighty San Marino.

I lived in Dublin for over a year, and I can tell you that it NEVER rains as much there as it does here in Cork. You're not seeing half of the rain we're getting today!

--------------------

Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SONNET 27 - William Shakespeare
Weary with toil, I haste me to my bed,
The dear repose for limbs with travel tired;
But then begins a journey in my head,
To work my mind, when body's work's expired:
For then my thoughts, from far where I abide,
Intend a zealous pilgrimage to thee,
And keep my drooping eyelids open wide,
Looking on darkness which the blind do see
Save that my soul's imaginary sight
Presents thy shadow to my sightless view,
Which, like a jewel hung in ghastly night,
Makes black night beauteous and her old face new.
Lo! thus, by day my limbs, by night my mind,
For thee and for myself no quiet find.

Just wanted to share my "lost love" meditation...

Morning

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to join the pity party too - again! [Wink]
I've been single now for a bit over a year, and it's only started to get to me lately. I've met someone new and I think there's potential - but she has only just broken up with her boyfriend and is definitely not interested in a new one just yet. The good news is that we've become pretty close friends while she's working through her grief about the whole thing, which makes me feel really good about being of help.

Patience is my middle name, and I'm more than happy to wait as long as it takes. But it's pretty excruciating to think of us both wanting to hold somebody and knowing it can't happen for now!

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to join in on the pity party!

I've apparently had inactive TB for the past 8 years, and now I have to go on this medicine for 9 months.

SO, for the next 9 months, I CAN"T DRINK ALCOHOL! Since my medicine metabolizes in the liver, I can't have any alcohol or I may develop jaundice or hepatitis and my skin can turn yellow!

Does anyone know how devastating this is for me? I go out drinking every weekend. I like to drink. I am not going to be able to drink at my work's Christmas party, MY birthday, my best friend's 21st birthday, my brother's 21st birthday, not to mention my other friend's birthdays, and the biggest drinking nights; Thanksgiving eve and St. Patty's Day!

This seriously sucks.

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, to be honest, if drinking is that big of a deal to you, it might be good that you take a break. And maybe analyze why you need to drink to have a good time?

Avril

--------------------

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gopher
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopher   E-mail gopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avril:
Well, to be honest, if drinking is that big of a deal to you, it might be good that you take a break. And maybe analyze why you need to drink to have a good time?

Avril

I suspect its because he is 22. Me and most of the people I know spent much of their early to mid twenties in clubs, bars and parties drinking and enjoying ourselves. Now we all drink in moderation.
Posts: 130 | From: Kingdom of Northumbria | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Avril

I'm not quite sure where it says anywhere, in any of my posts that I need to drink to have a good time.

I didn't say that need alcohol to have fun, because I can assure you that I do not. I am listing events that are normally big drinking events for people. ie: Friend's 21st birthdays and hoidays and the like.

And yes gopher, I am 22, and have only been able to drink for a year and a half, so going out drinking is still new and exciting to me.

Maybe, Avril, you should analyze the posts before you make false accusations.

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Hey, don't worry about it 2ys4u, at my pity party, we'll be having hot chocolate with optional marshmallows.

--------------------

Randa Roo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randa Roo   E-mail Randa Roo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 2ys4u:

False accusations? Avril's conclusion was perfectly valid. The seriousness and emphasis in your post
quote:
SO, for the next 9 months, I CAN"T DRINK ALCOHOL
and this one
quote:
Does anyone know how devastating this is for me? I go out drinking every weekend.
makes it sound like you need to drink to have a good time. Is it really devastating? Or is it just a minor incovenience that will be over in 9 months? I understand that drinking is new and exciting, but you have your whole life to get shitfaced and drink every weekend if that's what you want to do. 9 months isn't going to kill you. And then you can get schnockered all you want without the risk of jaundice or hepatitis!

Defensiveness is a sign of an alcohol problem, BTW. *ducks* [fish]

--------------------
'I'm the decider... I decide what's best.'

Posts: 403 | From: Branson, Missouri | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril

quote:
Originally posted by Randa Roo:
quote:

False accusations? Avril's conclusion was perfectly valid. The seriousness and emphasis in your post
quote:
SO, for the next 9 months, I CAN"T DRINK ALCOHOL
and this one
quote:
Does anyone know how devastating this is for me? I go out drinking every weekend.
makes it sound like you need to drink to have a good time. Is it really devastating? Or is it just a minor incovenience that will be over in 9 months?

Thank you. In addition, I will point this out:

quote:
I like to drink. I am not going to be able to drink at my work's Christmas party, MY birthday, my best friend's 21st birthday, my brother's 21st birthday, not to mention my other friend's birthdays, and the biggest drinking nights; Thanksgiving eve and St. Patty's Day!

This seriously sucks.

You list a number of events at which I believe the majority of people are not thinking: Yippee! An excuse to drink! You did not say this outright, but strongly implied, that what would make these events enjoyable was the alcohol. You mention "the biggest drinking nights" as if being able to drink a lot is a cause for celebration in and of itself.

If you want some perspective, shortly before I turned 21 my doctor told me I would never be allowed to drink. Period. End of sentence. Until the end of my natural life--unless I wanted to live a very short and unpleasant life. But I did not mope. I wasn't even bummed. So I don't quite understand where you are coming from, perhaps that is understandable. But I did analyze your post. Take that for what it is worth.

Avril

--------------------

2ys4u

quote:
Originally posted by Randa Roo: Defensiveness is a sign of an alcohol problem, BTW. *ducks*
[Roll Eyes] I am actually disappointed that a member on a seemingly intelligent MB would post something this disrespectful and immature.

Like I am not going to defend myself when someone who does not know me makes false accusations about me.

And, I have 16 friends who I go out to the bar with every weekend. And they feel the same way as I do. Does that make them alcoholics in your eyes, too?

Besides, I don't have the time to be an alcoholic.

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Avril

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Randa Roo: Defensiveness is a sign of an alcohol problem, BTW. *ducks*
[Roll Eyes] I am actually disappointed that a member on a seemingly intelligent MB would post something this disrespectful and immature.
Did you not understand that Randa's fish was indication of teasing?

quote:
Like I am not going to defend myself when someone who does not know me makes false accusations about me.
For the record, I did not make an accusation. I asked a question. I said it "might be a good thing." What you read into that is you. Since you're so irritated with me for reading between the lines in your posts, Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

quote:
And, I have 16 friends who I go out to the bar with every weekend. And they feel the same way as I do. Does that make them alcoholics in your eyes, too?

Has anyone used the word alcoholic here? Point it out if we did.

I will lay it out to you: Your attitude toward alcohol, itself, appears troublesome and, frankly, immature. You probably do not have an outright addiction--I never said you did--but if the way you think about alcohol does not change, you could easily develop a drinking problem. I am basing this solely on what you said. Your irritation is understandable, but does not change my opinion. Rather, it reinforces it.

Avril

--------------------

Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to ring in on Avril's side here. The alarm bells are ringing loud and clear and your alarming defensiveness is very telling. You do know that you can go to bars and drink soda right? Tell the bartender you're designated driver if you're embarrassed.

Look there will be plenty of time and events and parties in your life where you can go out and get blotted. Take these next nine months of forced sobriety and look around and your situation and your friends and your habits and at the end of the time see if you feel the same about it all. I'd be curious to see what you think at the end of it.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with 2ys4u on this one. I didn't perceive any warning signs, whatsoever; I read "devastation" simply as a turn of phrase. For some, the act of drinking with friends is hilarious fun, in and of itself (especially when we're young). Plus, she didn’t say that she was out gettin’ hammered every weekend, just that she was out drinking. Furthermore, I didn’t read any typos in her posts, so we can be sure that the shakes haven’t set in yet. God-d-d-damned shakes!

I would be disappointed, too, if for medical reasons I was missing out on the weekend rituals and the holiday atmospheres for a number of months. Booze, of course, doesn't make the memory; it's just a wonderful favor of the scene.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still trying to figure out how and when and why Thanksgiving eve became a drinking night. For me, it was usually "night to drive to my sibling's or parents' house." Or if I was hosting, "night to finish food shopping, clean up the house, and start cooking."

But seriously, I think Gibbie and Avril have made some good points you should think about.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u

quote:
Has anyone used the word alcoholic here? Point it out if we did.

I did not say alcoholic until this comment was made.
quote:
Originally posted by Randa Roo: Defensiveness is a sign of an alcohol problem, BTW.
And I said
quote:
Originally posted by ME: Besides, I don't have the time to be an alcoholic
in jest. "You do understand that was indicative of teasing?"

quote:
Originally posted by Avril: I will lay it out to you: Your attitude toward alcohol, itself, appears troublesome and, frankly, immature. You probably do not have an outright addiction--I never said you did--but if the way you think about alcohol does not change, you could easily develop a drinking problem. I am basing this solely on what you said. Your irritation is understandable, but does not change my opinion. Rather, it reinforces it.

Avril

Jeeze! I am a frickin 22 year old female! I like to drink socially. I like drinking in the same way people like to play bingo. It's a fun thing to do on the weekends and holidays!

And I don't have the time nor patience to keep quoting and attempting to defend myself. And it seems the harder I try, the more people keep chiming in to tell me I'm immature and have an alcohol problem.

Actually, looking over my post now, I have come to realize something; Defending myself? For a bunch of people on the internet?  -

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

2ys4u

Oh, and sorry to hijack your thread, Remigo, ((((hugs)))))

Jesus, I need a drink now. [Razz]

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Randa Roo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randa Roo   E-mail Randa Roo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And, I have 16 friends who I go out to the bar with every weekend. And they feel the same way as I do. Does that make them alcoholics in your eyes, too?.

Hey, in case you didn't notice, as Avril pointed out, that was a joke. If you do not want people to make false accusations or assumptions about your lifestyle, perhaps you are the one who should more carefully analyze what you are posting on a public forum.

And just out of curiosity, what does
quote:
mean? Do you think that being an alcoholic means sitting around your house in dirty underwear drinking whiskey and watching TV all day or what? No one (including me) was accusing you of being an alcoholic. Just as Gibbie said, you can go out to the bar all you want. Drink pop. Or water. Or coffee. You won't be missing out on the atmosphere, and you'll probably save a ton of money.

--------------------
'I'm the decider... I decide what's best.'

Posts: 403 | From: Branson, Missouri | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u

Hey,
Look a post above you.

quote:
Originally posted by 2ys4u: And I said
"Besides, I don't have the time to be an alcoholic

in jest."

"You do understand that was indicative of teasing?"

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages