snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » almost but not quite entirely unlike.... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: almost but not quite entirely unlike....
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not quite sure why, but sometimes sun tea ( even when I make it) taste like it has lemon in it. I hate and I do mean I hate lemon in my tea, it belongs nowhere near my tea damnit.

E* damn those lemons again*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSmelt:
THIS IS NOT THE UK.

We do not have the same consumer protections here, period.

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I have already clarified that I know nothing of US law and added the caveat that the UK is indeed different to the US - there's no need to shout at me. The point I was admittedly labouring to make was that it might be worth looking into. Your guesswork that it isn't illegal hardly pushed the debate along did it?

I used a UK 'example' to suggest policy might be similar and you lose your rag - classy [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They're just angry because we hate their freedom, Jay Tea. The proud right to rip off and mislead consumers has been part of the American dream for generations.

If only we in the UK could cast off our chains and be free, I have a good recipe for coffee somewhere that could undercut Starbucks by miles. With plum pudding and custard for dessert! Now where did that cat go?

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
THIS IS NOT THE UK.

Similar enough, though, isn't it? To warrant comparisons?

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
quote:
THIS IS NOT THE UK.

Yes, sorry about the yelling. I guess I was just frustrated because he kept saying "But in the UK that wouldn't be allowed!" Well, this isn't the UK, is it?

Again, sorry.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was younger I used to love powdered tea mix.

Now I make my own iced tea. I boil water, add tea bags and sugar, then wait till it cools. Takes a lot longer, but it's so much tastier! [Smile]

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
‘Fresh’ is a term that is used heavily to distinguish foodstuffs that have ‘not’ been processed and in this case the food item clearly has been – in the UK certainly this would raise questions.

Then again, "in the UK" a lot of things about this thread raise questions. An automatic assumption that tea means "iced"? Pre-brewed tea syrup?! Making tea by leaving a teabag in some water in the sun?!?!

I knew people often complain that it's hard to get a decent cup of tea in the USA but I didn't know things were this bad!

I'm with you, Richard. In fact, this may belong in the thread about things that annoy you when they shouldn't, but it always gets me when I'm in the southern US and I order a cup of tea and they always ask, "Hot tea?"

The first time this happened, I wanted to say, "Well, DUH!!! If I wanted iced tea (which happens round about never) I'd have asked for iced tea." But, my Canadian politeness won out, I guess, and I concluded it's a local cultural thing.

I'd never heard of sun tea until I read the article here on Snopes a few months ago.

It is hard to get a decent cup of tea in the US, but it isn't all that much easier to get a good cup in Canadian restaurants, I have to admit. Most of them use metal teapots (physics lesson, restaurants: metal conducts heat, which mean it's conducting the heat away from my tea which is supposed to be steeping) and they rarely let the water boil first. Even if they do, they bring the teapot out with the teabag beside it. The theory is this way you decide how long to leave the bag in, but what it really means is that by the time my teabag gets in my water, the water has already cooled down.

Okay, it isn't always that bad, once in a while you can get a really good cup of tea, usually in a middle-priced restaurant in a small town, in my experience, where they do it right, with a porcelain or china teapot and all. But these are rare. Even a lot of the finer hotels and restaurants don't seem to know how to make a decent cup of tea.

And, while I don't drink iced tea anyway, I do agree that the best way to make it is to brew the tea properly (you know, boiling water, in a pot, etc) but make it twice as strong as usual, then pour it over ice.

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evil_eyes:
I am not quite sure why, but sometimes sun tea ( even when I make it) taste like it has lemon in it. I hate and I do mean I hate lemon in my tea, it belongs nowhere near my tea damnit.

My husband would tell you it was on your upper lip.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by redsnapperdragonfly:
quote:
Originally posted by Evil_eyes:

My husband would tell you it was on your upper lip.
No it couldn't have been there. I had an upper lip transplant, cause you know my upper lip did actually turn sour. So now I have a plastic upper lip, I have to take it off nightly to clean it so its always clean. So by default it couldn't have been my upper lip. My bottom lip is a different story all togather, but that is a story for another time. [Smile]

E*no upper lip*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squeaky
Little Discounter Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squeaky     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I for one have no fundamental issue with iced tea that you get from restaurants around...well, pretty much anywere in Canada (ie. Nestea etc. from a pop machine which is 95% of the time dispensed cold). It could be that it's what I grew up with it that I don't find it dispicable. Now to be fair, I tend to squeeze 2-3 wedges of lemon into a single glass, because I prefer it a bit tart as opposed to sweet. I also really like unsweetended iced tea, but once again I like it with (fresh [Wink] ) lemon squeezed into it. I have to admit that I was quite amused by the looks on my classmates faces when they ordered iced tea in New Orleans and got the unsweetened variety. [lol]

--------------------
"I think I just had an evilgasm."-Xykon, OOTS

"Sacrificing minions: Is there any problem it can't solve?" -Xykon, OOTS

"Whooooooo! I'm invisible!"-Elan, OOTS

Posts: 139 | From: G-dot (aka Guelph), Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Photo Spread
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Photo Spread   Author's Homepage   E-mail Photo Spread   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, my Mom's recipe for making tea included adding two HEAPING 3/4-cup measures of sugar to one gallon of brewed tea. For the mathematically impaired, that's over 1.5 cups of sugar per gallon. [Eek!] And you all were frightened by a cup of sugar per pitcher!!!

Yes, I grew up in the South... where leftover tea from the church picnic could be used for pancake syrup the next morning. I think now my Mom has cut back to only 3/4 cup of sugar per gallon. I don't drink tea much anymore because of the caffeine, but when I do I splurge and get the traditional super-sweet Southern variety. (Because sugar just will not dissolve in cold tea!)

--------------------
Photo Spread

Posts: 31 | From: Durham, NC | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
THIS IS NOT THE UK.

I have already clarified that I know nothing of US law and added the caveat that the UK is indeed different to the US - there's no need to shout at me. The point I was admittedly labouring to make was that it might be worth looking into. Your guesswork that it isn't illegal hardly pushed the debate along did it?

I used a UK 'example' to suggest policy might be similar and you lose your rag - classy [Wink]

As much as I hate to interrupt you and Richard when you're stirring up the mud on this side of the pond (don't lie to me; I'm wise to your reindeer games [Wink] ), how about I do a slick and quick google search just to find out what the US standards are? fda, fresh, label = ta-da! second item:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fdnewlab.html

"The regulation defines the term "fresh" when it is used to suggest that a food is raw or unprocessed. In this context, "fresh" can be used only on a food that is raw, has never been frozen or heated, and contains no preservatives. (Irradiation at low levels is allowed.) "Fresh frozen," "frozen fresh," and "freshly frozen" can be used for foods that are quickly frozen while still fresh. Blanching (brief scalding before freezing to prevent nutrient breakdown) is allowed.

Other uses of the term "fresh," such as in "fresh milk" or "freshly baked bread," are not affected."

So that answers what fresh means on food labels in the US.

That said, the FDA controls food labels, not junior grade waiters in chain restaurants. If you want to know if the tea's freshly brewed ask them when it was made and how. Or just order a glass and if it's undrinkable, they'll probably take it off the bill. If they don't, I would either find a different place to eat or chalk one up to "that's the way the cookie crumbles". You can probably find enough change in the couch cushions to make up the cost of the tea. It's cheap, you know.

Having had two or three raging cases of food poisoning in my life, I don't care for sun tea. I like good ol' boiling water.

Spider House
Starbucks is a bad word 'round me. We aging reformed punks don't do the corporate lockstep. If I get storebought coffee, I go to Spider House. But I usually get beer instead. So, Richard, just remember the more I hear Starbucks, the more likely I am to hunt around and find threads to mention drunken elderly chinese women. I have the power to be extremely annoying and the idle curiousity of a kid poking a jelly fish with a stick. (don't do it, by the by; they tend to explode)

ETA stuff

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheers Gale.

quote:
In this context, "fresh" can be used only on a food that is raw, has never been frozen or heated, and contains no preservatives
So it would appear the use of 'fresh' to describe processed tea, likely to contain all mannar of preservatives (as tea spoils rapidly) as well as other additives 'is' indeed illegal in the US?

Who'd have thought it [lol]

Also, I plead innocent on all charges of stirring [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now if Samuel Adams hadn't pissed off the East India Company in 1773 you might still be able to get a decent cup of tea in the USA. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gale said:
I have the power to be extremely annoying and the idle curiousity of a kid poking a jelly fish with a stick. (don't do it, by the by; they tend to explode)

Oddly enough, my first memory is of being told off for poking a jellyfish with a plastic spade...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
quote:
THIS IS NOT THE UK.

Yes, sorry about the yelling. I guess I was just frustrated because he kept saying "But in the UK that wouldn't be allowed!" Well, this isn't the UK, is it?

Again, sorry.

Eh, don't worry about it. Discussions of UK matters regularly get taken over and turned round to a "what if this had happened in the USA" discussion instead, which I suppose is entirely natural when most of the board members are USAn. You get used to it after a while.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Fresh or pasteurised?

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cheers Gale.

quote:
In this context, "fresh" can be used only on a food that is raw, has never been frozen or heated, and contains no preservatives
So it would appear the use of 'fresh' to describe processed tea, likely to contain all mannar of preservatives (as tea spoils rapidly) as well as other additives 'is' indeed illegal in the US?

Who'd have thought it [lol]

Also, I plead innocent on all charges of stirring [lol]

Well, since tea is a dried leaf it could never be fresh, could it? "Freshly brewed" is not covered because once the tea is made, it ceases to be a matter for FDA labeling. Tricky, ain't it.

Considering the temperatures required for pasteurization and the normal body temperature, isn't fresh piss already pasteurized?

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages