snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » School buses stop at ALL railroad crossings?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: School buses stop at ALL railroad crossings?
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know buses are required to stop at railroad crossings and look to make sure no trains are coming. It's a pretty reasonable safety issue and I have no problem with it. The thing I don't get is do they have to stop at railroad crossings that clearly are no longer active? On my way to work in the morning I usually end up behind a bus that stops at a railroad crossing with bushes growing on the tracks on one side and a junk car lot with cars on the tracks on the other side. Even if I didn't know that these same tracks actually end just after the junk car lot from my days as a kid when I used to sneak back there, it's pretty obvious that no trains are coming through here in the near future. Except for maybe ghost trains and they would just pass through you anyway so there's no need to be scared about them hitting you.
Is this bus driver just being overly cautious or do the rules require them to stop at every track no matter what? Unlike most rants, it doesn't piss me off, it just confuses me.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably an effort to teach the children to be careful at railroad crossings.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The laws I found don't make any mention that stopping is not required if the railroad crossing is unused or inoperative. It simply says they must stop at least 15 feet, but no more than 50 feet from a railroad crossing.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't answer your question, but I can provde a little trivia about that law. If you ever watched School House Rock's "I'm just a Bill", the bill that was passed into law was the one which required school busses to stop at railroad crossings.

Beach...Just sitting on Capital hill...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The old tracks I cross every day on the way to work have a sign posted that says "Tracks out of service." This morning I just happened to get passed by a school bus on that streatch of road as I was peddling in to work. The bus did not stop at those tracks. So I'm just guessing but maybe if there is a sign posted labeling the tracks as out of service then they are exempt from stopping, but if there is no sign then they have to assume the tracks are still active? Of course laws probably differ between CA and MA, too.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems that prudence would be the wiser course, here. The lawmakers ought to assume that the bus driver would have no way of knowing whether a crossing was no longer in use or not, so having them stop at all of them removes the possibility that they'll be wrong that one time it matters.

I don't know what the actual laws state, though.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They (and trucks hauling certain hazardous materials) are required to stop at all railroad crossings unless there is an "EXEMPT" sign before the crossing.
Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in high school I was on a bus that always stopped at tracks that were obviously not in use - even when we went by and the tracks ended about 20 feet past the road (they were in the process of removing the tracks).

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The law in Texas says they don't have to stop if there is a sign stating the tracks are not operational.

The MA law does not appear to have such an exception.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dissonance
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dissonance   E-mail dissonance   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elbe, that's funny - my school bus when I was a kid used to stop at a crossing where the tracks had been taken up on either side years earlier.
Posts: 160 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That wasn't even the weirdest thing, because of the angle of the track the driver couldn't see down one direction when she stopped before the tracks. So she then stopped on the tracks in a position to look down the other way (usually for not nearly as long, though), I'm guessing there was some part of the law saying she had to look both ways before proceeding.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beechwill
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Beechwill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Bee:
They (and trucks hauling certain hazardous materials) are required to stop at all railroad crossings unless there is an "EXEMPT" sign before the crossing.

I just like the fact that this law appears to classify schoolchildren as hazardous materials.

Not that I'm arguing.

--------------------
"Death is not the end. There remains the litigation over the estate."
-Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 17 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
I can't answer your question, but I can provde a little trivia about that law. If you ever watched School House Rock's "I'm just a Bill", the bill that was passed into law was the one which required school busses to stop at railroad crossings.

Gah, Beach, I now have an earworm! Thanks a lot buddy! [Razz]

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time I ever felt old was when I mentioned that Schoolhouse Rock skit to a friend of mine who was a few years younger - and he knew the Simpsons parody about the flag burning amendment, but he'd never seen or heard the original.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Vanilla Gorilla
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Vanilla Gorilla   E-mail The Vanilla Gorilla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Great, with you guys mentioning Schoolhouse Rock and railroad tracks I now have the lyrics for "Conjunction Junction" in my head. [Smile]

Vanilla "Conjunction Junction, what's your function?" Gorilla

Posts: 46 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At least the bus driver was not stupid enough to stop ON the tracks and look for trains like mine in kindergarten was.

I don't think she was there for very long.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, you mean school buses aren't supposed to stop on the tracks?

Methinks your bus driver got relocated to Florida.

[fish]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:

Gah, Beach, I now have an earworm! Thanks a lot buddy! [Razz]
Sorry, my momma always told me to share.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages