snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Why I'm not totally looking forward to the Christmas season

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why I'm not totally looking forward to the Christmas season
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 603 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pretend the gnome is an elf.

No, it's not hectic shopping or dealing with my relatives (yeah, that's another issue.) I'm dreading the "war on Christmas" crap starting up again. I hear it from not only my more religious relatives on my mom's side of the family, but my dad (who isn't particularly religious) does it too. (He uses it as an excuse for liberal-bashing.)

I don't want politics to ruins my mood this year. I wish I could get Grandma to turn off The O'Riley Factor (proof that people actually pay attention to what he has to say). I'm a little worried what they might think if they knew I was advocating including Hanukkah in our Christmas party this year since one of the roommates is Jewish.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
Pretend the gnome is an elf.

No, it's not hectic shopping or dealing with my relatives (yeah, that's another issue.) I'm dreading the "war on Christmas" crap starting up again. I hear it from not only my more religious relatives on my mom's side of the family, but my dad (who isn't particularly religious) does it too. (He uses it as an excuse for liberal-bashing.)

I don't want politics to ruins my mood this year. I wish I could get Grandma to turn off The O'Riley Factor (proof that people actually pay attention to what he has to say). I'm a little worried what they might think if they knew I was advocating including Hanukkah in our Christmas party this year since one of the roommates is Jewish.

How dare you include Hanukkah??? Christmas is the Reason for the season! Why do you hate America? Why do you want to help the terrorists?

Seriously. The "War on Christmas" whining got real old, real fast last year. I'm sure it'll be on its way again this year. Let's brace.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just wondering if I spelled it right. Is "Hanukkah" one of the correct spellings?
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that was a perfectly good way to spell Hanukkah, moonfall. And it sucks that you're dreading what is normally considered to be a fairly happy time of year.

I would seriously think about pointedly saying "Happy Holidays" to those people who complain about the war on Christmas, and "Merry Christmas" to everyone else, but I'm prone to making statements that way.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think while you have every reason to feel unhappy about the way your family is behaving that it doesn't make much sense to add to the general discomfort by trying to force changes upon them that you must know they will resist. This is their Christmas and you need to accept that in their home it will be celebrated a certain way. Why should they include Hanukah if they don't want to? Or did you mean the Christmas party will be in your own flat? In which case why would your family even need to know about it?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Uhm... would those pesky Christians please stop stealing our festival of Yule?

Oh, and have a fun Samhain, Kids

Blues "Oh and Happy Sunreturn and Beltane too" Scale

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is why we need a greater inclusion of Festivus.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
I'm a little worried what they might think if they knew I was advocating including Hanukkah in our Christmas party this year since one of the roommates is Jewish.

My senior year in college (a loooooooong time ago) I shared a house with four other people. We were one Catholic, one Episcopalian, one Jew, one agnostic whose mother was Mormon and whose father was some sort of Korean animist, and one World Religions major who celebrated everything -- she had a really hard time when one religion's feast days fell in the middle of another religion's fast -- but who was mostly Buddhist.

We set up a Non-Denominational Winter Holiday Shrub in our kitchen and decorated it with pretty much everything: snowflakes, blown eggshells, paper chains, popcorn strings, berries that were from a bush outside that were poisonous but looked nice, little stars made out of tinfoil, etc. It looked great, and everyone got to enjoy it.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
I think while you have every reason to feel unhappy about the way your family is behaving that it doesn't make much sense to add to the general discomfort by trying to force changes upon them that you must know they will resist. This is their Christmas and you need to accept that in their home it will be celebrated a certain way. Why should they include Hanukah if they don't want to? Or did you mean the Christmas party will be in your own flat? In which case why would your family even need to know about it?

It's a party here at my place. I'm not living with my mother any more. It's been hard for me to break free from worrying about what my parents would think even now, over a year since I left home.
ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am looking forward to Christmas. I simply don't take part in the commercialized part of it. I get a few people a few things, not out of obligation to "the season" (or the marketplace), but because I like to. I ask for NOTHING, okay, I will take what I get (and NEVER return it)

My gifts might be a small candle to those who I know like them, a rain check for a Chinese food night out after the crowds have dies down, a bottle of wine, flowers, a small toy...But I will never go out and get whatever overpriced THING that "everyone wants" that is destined for yardsale after 5 years in the back of the basement after it has been used all of 2 times.

My favorite part of Christmas, sitting by a fire with the family sharing hot chocolate and old Christmas music going in the background and YES that is very easily done, not some over-romanticized fantasy.

The only way I do the "war on Christmas" is to participate in it without apology and hope that the city will put up a tree or manger, and watch all the religious people haters go berzerk about how fascist it is or some other nonsense. kinda cute in its own way...

Other than that, I am a peaceful man.

Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Chanukah" (with the phlegm-y "ch")and "Hanukkah" are the two most popular ones. But it's a transliteration, so I suppose you can spelling "Hanooca" if that makes you happy.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spooky Cactus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spooky Cactus   E-mail Spooky Cactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ottercreek:The only way I do the "war on Christmas" is to participate in it without apology and hope that the city will put up a tree or manger, and watch all the religious people haters go berzerk about how fascist it is or some other nonsense. kinda cute in its own way...

Other than that, I am a peaceful man. [/QB]

It's not 'facist', it's state-sponsoring of religion, which if you're in the US, is unconstitutional. Nor is everyone who opposes state-sponsored religion a 'religious people hater', in fact many are religious themselves.

From my personal standpoint trees are okay because they're only retrospectively connected with Christianiy; they're a general Germanic pagan thing and cultural rather than religious. Mangers or anything else directly related to the Christmas story are another matter.

--------------------
'When the world is dead and gone, we will still be Rocking On!' (J.P.McCartney)

Posts: 154 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I volunteered for duty this X-Mas to specifically to have an excuse to avoid having to go to Cali to see my extended family... I love my parents a lot, but the rest of my extended family drives me (and my wife) freaking crazy. I'm sick and damned tired of having to defend my career and my participation in the Iraq war to my goddamn grapenut-eating hippie relatives, who seem to want to hold me personally responsible for the invasion. And my wife takes serious offense at how my patronizing, condescending aunts ("successful" career women) treat my Mom, who isn't nearly as educated as them, but is ten times the human being any of them ever will be.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a rant... just suddenly needed to get that off my chest.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BluesScale:
Uhm... would those pesky Christians please stop stealing our festival of Yule?

Oh, and have a fun Samhain, Kids

Blues "Oh and Happy Sunreturn and Beltane too" Scale

My thoughts exactly, BluesScale. [lol]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 15 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amigone201:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by moonfall86:
[qb] Seriously. The "War on Christmas" whining got real old, real fast last year. I'm sure it'll be on its way again this year. Let's brace.

Sure did.

Dawn--SSDY--Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure which is worse any more:

- The war on Christmas

- The war on the war on Christmas

- The war on the war on the war on Chistmas

I pretty much ignore all of the above. I'm can't see letting the grivances of others affect my holidays.

Beach...we celebrate just Christmas at my house though...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:
I love my dparents a lot, but the rest of my extended family drives me (and my wife) freaking crazy. I'm sick and damned tired of having to defend my career and my participation in the Iraq war to my goddamn grapenut-eating hippie relatives, who seem to want to hold me personally responsible for the invasion.

I'm getting the same thing. Apparently a meeting was held and I was designated the person who's responsibility it is to explain and/or defend America's foreign policy to anyone I'm less then 8 cousins removed from.

I'm a mid-rank enlisted. When they have the super secret squirrel meetings in some deep super secret bunker somewhere I don't get invited. They don't send a CC on the emails. Why are they asking me?

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages