snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » I don't understand my cat (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I don't understand my cat
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 602 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a weird thing my longhaired cat Bert does. A neighbor a few houses down the street is remodeling and my anal retentive cat goes there sometime when everyone's asleep, brings back paper towels, or other debris and lines them up in one section of the yard. Once, he brought someone's t-shirt over. On Tuesday morning, he lined up a nearly empty roll of paper towels, a cloth handkerchif, a paper towel, and a latex glove. This is in addition to normal cat "gifts" of dead mice or birds which both cats bring. He's a neutered male, about 4 years old so he's not nesting or anything, he's just weird.
Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
Thanks everyone!

One more thing. The vet recently told us to brush his teeth daily. I've never heard this before. Do any of you brush your cat's teeth on a regular basis?

Brush...the cat's...teeth?

Noooo, no thank you, I like my skin, thanks. And they like anti-tartar treats. It works out.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaidenAthene
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaidenAthene   E-mail MaidenAthene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat often says "mrommy?" and "mamow!" and "miowma" when he is looking for me. It scared an in law of mine thinking he was hearing a little kid/baby in the house calling for his mom. Funny. [Smile] He also plays football and tries to tackle me. The other cats just run around and talk to me with regular meows.

--------------------
“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.” - Marilyn Manson
"Well, end more, your not ending enough!" - MST3K

Posts: 259 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My vet just told me to start brushing my cats teeth. I bought the little brushing kit but i havn't used it yet. Brushing Anica should be easy enough, she's super mellow and will put up with just about anything, Diego will likely be a challenge. I know he won't bite me he'll just wiggle around until he can dart away.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pixie can't bear it if she thinks something is going on in a room other than the one she's in at the time, and makes a right old racket until she's part of the fun. Unfortunately, she has yet to figure out that voices coming from the radio alarm at 6.30am are not me having a shindig in my bedroom without her, but are rather helping me struggle slowly towards consciousness, which takes 45 minutes and needs to be done gently and calmly. A bellowing kitten at the door is not conducive to these conditions. I half expect her to say, "me-NFBSKing-OW!!!" any day now...

Still, she makes up for it by doing incredibly dense things, like jumping in the bath when it's full of water and got me inside it. *sigh* You'd've thought that the fear, panic and general distress after the first time she did it would have been etched into her tiny little brain forever, but I discovered last night that this is not the case.

Of course, if I try to have my bath with the bathroom door shut, and make *any noise at all*, she gets the party idea in her head again...

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms. K:
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
Thanks everyone!

One more thing. The vet recently told us to brush his teeth daily. I've never heard this before. Do any of you brush your cat's teeth on a regular basis?

Brush...the cat's...teeth?

Noooo, no thank you, I like my skin, thanks. And they like anti-tartar treats. It works out.

Anti-tarter treats are good. I also give my cat fluoridated water. (Yes, I buy bottled water for my cat.) Because, like Ms. K, I like my skin where it is, thankyewverymuch.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mom's cats are fairly vocal but in different ways.

KC is half siamese so her early, often and varied vocalizations were expected. She likes to have conversations but since her little brother came along she mostly just meows if she wants to be brushed (which is like 5 times a day), if you're at the kitchen sink or if you call for her. Oh, she also does the "it's time for bed" routine. If we're watching TV, she'll come out from the bedroom, look at us, meow and then head back to the bedroom. It's usually only if we're staying up later than usual (which happens a lot when I visit because we get to talking).

Cody, her brother (not litter mates, we just call them brother and sister because they're both Mom's cats), is becoming more vocal all the time. He really surprised me when I was visitng a couple weeks ago. He's just turned a year old and for the whole first year, his vocalizations were limited to that brrrrrrtht noise. Now he's doing full blow meows and actually had a conversation with me!

Speaking of Cody, slightly OT, that cat just doesn't like me. We think it might be because I look different from everyone else in the family because they all have dark, short hair and I have long blonde hair. He's getting used to me now but has very low tolerance to my behavior and will growl/hiss/bat at me for no particular reason. It's very odd.

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frog_Feathers:
When our cats (any one of the three of them) did that, we replied to them as though they were carrying on a conversation with us. They seemed to like it and would continue to meow while rubbing against the human's leg, the wall, the bookcase, the sofa... all the while, meowing and awaiting a reply.

Even now, Arwen (she's three years old) will meow at us as we walk up the stairs (she stays on the landing to watch the birds out the window). So, we tell her "hi" and ask her how her day has been. She replies and awaits our reply and so on.

That was what I was going to suggest!
Man, I thought I was the only one who carried out conversations with my cat...heh. I meow back usually though, instead of replying in English. My current cat doesn't reply as often. I think our previous cat was part Siamese, and when I'd meow back she'd keep meowing, and I'd imitate each meow. Sneakers, my current kitty, only will meow back once or twice before giving up. Once in a while I will reply as if she's talking such as, "Tell me all about it." and "Really?" and etc...

Oh yeah also your cat would fit right in with the cats I am currently petsitting. My friend's cats are Strider, Frodo, Legolas, Glorfindel and Eowyn. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages