snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » referring to yourself in the third person (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: referring to yourself in the third person
KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
KatrinaDuck thanks Signora for the linky, and agrees that the winning quarter design is much nicer than the other ones, but still is confused as to why they'd bother putting "the evergreen state" at all if there are no trees in the picture.

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Arriah would like to let GenYus know that his wish came true last night when Arriah had gollem words in her head at an innappropriate intimate moment. Arriah managed not to injure herself but the part of the brain that stores gollem should not be activated during those moments.

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll refer to myself in the third person as "Daddy" when speaking to or about the younger kids. "Daddy will get you chocolate milk in a second," "Daddy needs to go outside for a minute" or "Daddy loves his Faithy Jubilee," Her Daddy loves that outfit, it's so cute on his daughter." I thought most/all parents did this. I'll do the same talking to Mooommmeee sometimes out of habit, e.g. "Daddy thinks Mama looks beautiful today," spoken directly to her even if childern aren't around.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babyshoes:
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky Cactus:
[QUOTE]Maybe he meant the original singular/familiar version of you (which is technically the plural/respectful form); 'thee'. You could understand that, 'cause on the few places where we still use it, it's not very polite unless you know someone really well.

No, he was very clear about being taught to use "one" instead of "me" or "I". At the time, I thought it was a Canadian thing :D but now that I'm (much) older, I figure he just had very odd parents.

It would have made perfect sense to me if it was second person singular vs. plural. I've never really understood why we don't use those in English anymore.

baby "of course, I'm half Quaker" shoes

I believe that upper-class English people used to be (and maybe still are) taught to speak that way.

I remember one of the subjects in one of the later "Seven Up" documentaries using "one" instead of "I". And in one of Nancy Mitford's books, she quotes her sister exclaiming "How lovely to be one!"

Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Top Kat:
I believe that upper-class English people used to be (and maybe still are) taught to speak that way.

I remember one of the subjects in one of the later "Seven Up" documentaries using "one" instead of "I". And in one of Nancy Mitford's books, she quotes her sister exclaiming "How lovely to be one!"

Thanks, Top Kat. That actually makes sense, given what I knew of that particular instructor.

baby "will now resume referring to self in 3rd person" shoes

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quiltsbypam wants to thank one and all for the very entertaining thread. Even though quiltsbypam almost broke a rib stifling laughter when quiltsbypam's boss walked by...

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arriah:
Arriah would like to let GenYus know that his wish came true last night when Arriah had gollem words in her head at an innappropriate intimate moment. Arriah managed not to injure herself but the part of the brain that stores gollem should not be activated during those moments.

GenYus is very pleased with GenYuself. GenYus did not know that GenYus' particular brand of insanity could be passed to others.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Die Capacitrix is annoyed with herself for not knowing that the Washington quarter has been chosen. She is also annoyed with the U.S. Mint who has not yet set a date for the release. March 2007 is not specific enough.

Die Capacitrix will be informing her parents that an official First Day Cover is an acceptable birthday gift, even if the gift must be delayed due to the U.S. Mint's schedule.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Signora Del Drago says, "KatrinaDuck, look closely. There are teeny weeny widdle evergreens at the base of Mt. Rainier."

Signora Del Drago thinks Minstrel is sooooooo funny! Either that, or Minstrel is still incorrigible.

Signora Del Drago wonders if GenYus and Arriah meant "Gollum."

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
Signora Del Drago wonders if GenYus and Arriah meant "Gollum."

GenYus never actually used the name.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quiltsbypam wonders if GenYus meant Smeagol instead. Yes, she does.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What is even worse than referring to oneself by one's name in the third person, imho, is saying 'this man'. A stupid affectation.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cottyn
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cottyn   E-mail Cottyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cottyn wonders if Bugz (Saran Wrap) realizes she does the third person thing when she is angry?

--------------------
Don't take life too seriously, you won't live through it. -- Bugs Bunny

Posts: 3 | From: Huntsville, TX | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottyn:
Cottyn wonders if Bugz (Saran Wrap) realizes she does the third person thing when she is angry?

babyshoes suddenly develops a Suthen drawwwl when babyshoes is angry. [lol]

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel Raindrop:
Minstrel likes salmon as dinner, but Minstrel would be really scared of a fish that could eat Mt. Rainier!

Bthyb drools with longing, thinking of the large bagel that will go under the smoked salmon from that big fish...

And please do have some of bthyb's bagels. [lol]

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hastings
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hastings   E-mail Hastings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hastings would like to point out that she came out of long-term stalking and joined the forum so that Hastings could mention her appreciation of all of you, and this thread.

Hastings has also been known to use 'one'.
[Wink]

Posts: 45 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by Hastings:
Hastings would like to point out that she came out of long-term stalking and joined the forum so that Hastings could mention her appreciation of all of you, and this thread.

Hastings has also been known to use 'one'.
[Wink]

quiltsbypam thinks this is entirely appropriate for post number one. And she welcomes Hastings to the board.

--------------------

Hastings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hastings   E-mail Hastings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hastings thanks quiltsbypam. Hastings also feels a little awkward about her level of stalking (reading the more personal type forums such as Rantidote almost daily). Hastings likes what she has read of quiltsbypam. [Wink]

Hastings wonders if she should find the appropriate place to be initiated...

Posts: 45 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hastings

Hastings is way too amused by speaking in the third person.
[Wink]

quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

quiltsbypam doesn't feel stalked, and is also having much fun. She suggests Hastings check out SLC:A Natural Disaster for the October initiation thread. Also much fun. quiltsbypam's initiation was the most fun she had all of last December.

--------------------

Hastings

Hastings has posted there, with slight trepidation.
[Wink]

SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SatansHobbit thinks Hastings is using the [Wink] smilie as a full stop.

SatansHobbit apologises if Hastings has only one eye.

SatansHobbit wonders now how SatansHobbit will manage to stop talking like this all day.

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hastings

SatansHobbit should note that Hastings also uses full stops.

Hastings is understandably nervous what with just posting for the first time today.

Hastings worries that she will talk like this forever more.

[Wink] [Razz]

Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Signora Del Drago apologizes a thousand times to GenYus, yes she does!

Signora Del Drago didn't even know what or who gollem was and had to look it up, anyway. Signora Del Drago would kill her husband if he imitated that creature, intimate moment or not. Perhaps Gollum is a perfectly nice little thing, but Signora Del Drago says, "Yecch!"

Signora Del Drago thinks it may take severe measures to make her stop talking this way. Gaaahhh!

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel Raindrop:
Minstrel likes salmon as dinner, but Minstrel would be really scared of a fish that could eat Mt. Rainier!

Bthyb drools with longing, thinking of the large bagel that will go under the smoked salmon from that big fish...

And please do have some of bthyb's bagels. [lol]

Mmm, Minstrel would love to have some of bthyb's bagels with the gigantic salmon. After all, one should eat a gigantic salmon before it eats Mt. Rainier. Now Minstrel and bthyb must find a gigantic tub of cream cheese to go along with this saving-Washington-State meal.

quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
What is even worse than referring to oneself by one's name in the third person, imho, is saying 'this man'. A stupid affectation.

Ooh, my last boss did this in all of her business letters. "If you have any questions, please contact this writer..." It irked me every time I had to proofread one of her letters.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saran Wrap   E-mail Saran Wrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what's even more annoying is being told by a boss: "Write a letter to ______ saying something along the lines of _________ and I'll sign it," and then having to write a letter pretending to be someone I'm not. It always irks me to write "Please contact me, James, and this number if you have any questions."

I know, it's part of being a secretary, but it can be annoying.

ETA: Is referring to someone else in the first person the oposite of referring to yourself in the third?

--------------------
"I find in myself desires which nothing in this earth can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 57 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rabbit only refers to herself in the third person under very specific circumstances.

Such as when narrating her life.

Or for humor or cuteness.

Rabbit is widely acknowledged to be excessively cute.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
Turquoise Girl would like to add, though that the Rock is forgiven any odd speach patterns because the Rock makes TGirl giddy like a schoolgirl. TGirl has watched numerous bad movies just to see the Rock with no shirt on. If it were a choice between the Rock and the Pirate, she is unsure what she would do.

glisp42 has a friend that could be The Rock's twin.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to share a flat with someone who did this although I think she toned it down after we had a very confused conversation one evening when I thought she had invited a friend round who had the same name as her.

Think she felt a bit silly when she said "no, I was talking about myself as Sarah".

"So you meant to just say "me"?"

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spooky Cactus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spooky Cactus   E-mail Spooky Cactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Top Kat:
quote:
Originally posted by babyshoes:
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky Cactus:
[QUOTE]Maybe he meant the original singular/familiar version of you (which is technically the plural/respectful form); 'thee'. You could understand that, 'cause on the few places where we still use it, it's not very polite unless you know someone really well.

No, he was very clear about being taught to use "one" instead of "me" or "I". At the time, I thought it was a Canadian thing [Big Grin] but now that I'm (much) older, I figure he just had very odd parents.

It would have made perfect sense to me if it was second person singular vs. plural. I've never really understood why we don't use those in English anymore.

baby "of course, I'm half Quaker" shoes

Nowadays it's pretty much just the Queen and her homies.

How about referring to yourself as a plural? That's Her Majesty's kick.

Spooky 'We are not amused' Cactus

--------------------
'When the world is dead and gone, we will still be Rocking On!' (J.P.McCartney)

Posts: 154 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You look at the screen and read all of these posts, and wonder how odd it would be if you refer to yourself in the 2nd person ...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 214 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TallGeekyGirl:
You look at the screen and read all of these posts, and wonder how odd it would be if you refer to yourself in the 2nd person ...

[Big Grin]

You do wonder, don't you...you've been thinking about it for a while...

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes

quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
quote:

[Big Grin]

You do wonder, don't you...you've been thinking about it for a while...
babyshoes finds that much too confusing to attempt. Of course, after reading all these posts, babyshoes has referred to herself in the third person IRL. Ooops.

--------------------

DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 18 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Big Grin]

I actually have reffered to myself as "he." once (wich is not quite second person).

A guy was flirting with my wife (GF, then) and said "what he doesn't know won't hurt him."

I was standing right behind him and said, "What he finds out could hurt you."

The look on his face was priceless! [lol]

(ETA: I usually don't threaten men who hit on my wife/GF and let her handle it, but in this case she had already turned him down several times in the past and I felt that he was approaching harrassment.)

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cottyn
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cottyn   E-mail Cottyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After much reading and too little sleep Cottyn is now confused about who Cottyn is today. Perhaps a good nap will sort cottyn out.

--------------------
Don't take life too seriously, you won't live through it. -- Bugs Bunny

Posts: 3 | From: Huntsville, TX | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages