snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » referring to yourself in the third person (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: referring to yourself in the third person
Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Saran Wrap   E-mail Saran Wrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It has always annoyed me that certain people tend to refer to themselves in the third person. For example: "Freddy doesn't feel well today; Freddy hasn't had his coffee yet," instead of "I don't feel well; I haven't had my coffee yet."

However, there is a woman in my church who makes it even more annoying. Everyone in the church refers to her by her first name. Neither her children nor her grandchildren attend our church (or even live in the same state), but she insists on referring to herself as "Granny." It really bugs me when she's talking to a bunch of her peers and makes some comment like "Granny forgot her keys in the car. Granny better go get them!"

I know it's petty to be so easily annoyed, but it sounds really juvenile and not at all endearing. Ah well. I'll get over it.

--------------------
"I find in myself desires which nothing in this earth can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 57 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It always pisses people off, but when I get really vodka drunk, I used "one". As in "One shouldn't do that, or bad things will happen, like falling down the staris or eating mud."

I agree though. Unless done with appropriate insanity, it's just annoying.....

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
GenYus agrees with you.

Gen "Someone was going to do it, it might as well have been GenYus" Yus

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes the most trivial things can be the most annoying. I know whenever I see my SIL phones and ends up getting connected to voice mail she will tell me her full name *twice*, "This is Mary, Mary Smith, Mary Smith calling" and she will leave her full phone number with area code *twice* and then she will always, god help me, always say "signing off for now". This irritates me irrationally. I keep trying to see humour in her idiocy. Maybe some day.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
GenYus beat Roadie to it, and Roadie hates when that happens. Why does GenYus hate Roadie?

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to refer to myself in the third person when I get drunk. "Jenny requires another drink," is a common thing for me to say. Then there is also, "Jenny needs to pee," "Jenny needs to pee again because she broke the seal," and of course, "Jenny needs to get laid now."

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This trend is, sadly, nothing new. All the way back to the whole John Smith/Pocahontas story (JEEZ that annoys me) and up through Elmo.
Elmo's worse. "Elmo doesn't need to learn a lesson! Elmo will go play with fire and get burned and then do it the next day! AGAIN!"
The only time that it's not annoying are when it's somebody making fun of Bob Dole.

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kit_n_caboodle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kit_n_caboodle   E-mail kit_n_caboodle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At my company, we have to fill out our own performance reviews, in the third person. So (coincidentally to this thread) I just spent the day writing things like "kit_n_caboodle completes her work in a timely manner."

"kit_n_caboodle is nostalgic for the days when her manager filled out her performance review"

--------------------
Peter: Brian, there's a message in my Alpha Bits. It says "OOOOOO".
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Posts: 53 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ComicBookGeek
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ComicBookGeek     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Geek doesn't talk like that.

Anyone remember when Bob Dole was on Leno, and when Leno asked him if he talked like that, he replied "No, Bob Dole doesn't talk like that."

I laughed

--------------------
My Blog

Posts: 177 | From: Mobile, AL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Roadie just realized that when she talks like this she sounds like Dobby from Harry Potter. Roadie is annoyed.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Signora Del Drago is laffin' her (_!_) off.

Thanks, boys and girls. Signora Del Drago needed a chuckle today. [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nurple:
I tend to refer to myself in the third person when I get drunk. "Jenny requires another drink," is a common thing for me to say. Then there is also, "Jenny needs to pee," "Jenny needs to pee again because she broke the seal," and of course, "Jenny needs to get laid now."

ILS just needs to figure out how to be standing next to Jenny the next time Jenny is drinking and talking in the third person.

Yes ILS does.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tam

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Tam   E-mail Tam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ILS:
ILS just needs to figure out how to be standing next to Jenny the next time Jenny is drinking and talking in the third person.

Tam is pretty sure that Jenny's husband wouldn't like that! [Eek!]

--------------------
"I just grabbed a teddy bear, a little princess crown, and stuck my thumb in my mouth. Now I feel kinda silly." - ChildofMusic

Posts: 129 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Zod doesn't take orders, he gives them. Kneel before Zod.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tam:
quote:

Jenny is thinking that he would not like that at all. [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Who's this Jenny person? I thought your name was nurple. So you not only refer to yourself in the third person, you're actually referring to someone else in the third person.

Been a long time since I've been that drunk. [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Wow, nurple guesses that Jenny has a drinking problem.

ETA: Or does Jenny guess that nurple has a drinking problem? They don't know. They are so confused.

Hmm. I (we? they?)could really use a martini right now.

--------------------

ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tam:
quote:

Jenny is thinking that he would not like that at all. [Wink]
Hey ILS is just standing here. What happens after that has yet to be determined. [Wink]

Now I guess if ILS is standing in the middle of a bedroom uninvited that might be an issue, but ILS is picturing a bar setting.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't talk about myself in the third person, because then, I'd have to answer myself. Then, I'd be talking to myself in the third person, which would probably annoy the other voices in my head- or at the very least, become the 4th person.

FrogFeathers is confused now.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We are not amused. [Razz]

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We hates snopesterses. Nasty, YOMANKing snopesterses, doesn't we, my precious.

Northern *I had to get that out of my head* Lite

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
F minor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for F minor   E-mail F minor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You agree. But you think it's a tiny thing to get annoyed over.

F "Think we've done all the 'people' now" minor.

Posts: 124 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Saran Wrap   E-mail Saran Wrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, for all of you who are purposefully imitating Elmo: [fish]

As for the rest of this conversation: I really don't think that doing the first-in-third person thing is nearly as stupid if you're drunk. I sincerely hope the "Granny" I was refering to is NOT drunk, since we're at church [Eek!] but you never know...

And, I must admit, when I am feeling really brain dead I will occassionally mention something along the lines of "Saran Wrap needs to go to bed. Good night." [dunce] But these embarassing times are few and far between, in the privacy of my own home, and using my given name, not in public using a name that only 4 or 5 people call me.

And yes, there are small things about some people's phone habits that drive me nuts, too. But, that's another rant.

--------------------
"I find in myself desires which nothing in this earth can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 57 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Northern Lite Afternoon Showers:

For some reason, my SO *hates* it when I do that voice. It might be because I do it at "intimate" times.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AmISalmon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmISalmon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK GenYus. I have a similar problem with Chubby Bunny!

--------------------
That Psammead, That Psammead, I do not like that Psammead.

Posts: 234 | From: Calgary, AB, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saran Wrap   E-mail Saran Wrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK, GenYus; I can see how that could really spoil intimacy. That's not exactly the image you want in your head at that time!

--------------------

snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
Originally posted by Northern Lite Afternoon Showers:

For some reason, my SO *hates* it when I do that voice. It might be because I do it at "intimate" times.
...snapdragonfly is squicked out.

But really, it can be funny if done well. Miss Information always refers to herself in the third and she can crack one up.

(oh come on...you CAN'T expect first person from one when it's this funny...)

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HenryChicane
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HenryChicane   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have friends and family who's children speak in the third person. Depending on my mood (and the kid in question) I either think it is really cute or really annoying. I always find it annoying when the parents do it though.

I guess the kids do it because their parents say things like, "will Emma please eat her carrots," instead of, "Please eat your carrots, Emma." Which leads to, "Look mommy, Emma ate her carrots!"

My wife and I try to not talk to our kids like they are little morons, so thankfully out 3 year old doesn't do this, and hopefully the 1 year old won't either.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ironhillpark

Posts: 75 | From: NewCastle, Delaware | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saran Wrap   E-mail Saran Wrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It really doesn't bother me when it's done by children who are still learning the construction of sentences and what the heck pronouns are, but it doesn't help the kids learn the correct way to speak if the parents are doing it wrong. I think some parenting books contribute to that. For instance, it's supposed to be less threatening to the child's self esteem if you say "Mommy is not happy with the way Bobby is acting. Bobby will not be able to go to the playground if Bobby is not more polite to Mommy." Less threatening, maybe. Gramatically educational? Definitely not.

--------------------

BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a tendancy to add "conversational asides" to my speech. For example, I might say "Hey, Mom, do you still have those tickets, she asked her hopefully?" or "Yeah, sweetie, you're just a big dork, she said lovingly." or "If Rube hasn't been digging in the flower bed, she added optimistically."

It's infectious. My parents, brother, and husband all do it now, too. Mom was embarassed last week because she did it while she was talking to her new doctor, and the doc gave her a very strange look.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saran Wrap:
Now, for all of you who are purposefully imitating Elmo: [fish]

Signora Del Drago does not understand. [Confused]

Signora Del Drago was not imitating Elmo. [Razz]
Signora Del Drago is highly insulted that you [fish] ed the posters to this thread. [Roll Eyes] so take this [fish] , you Saran Wrap, you!

Signora Del Drago is laffin'. [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Saran Wrap's dignity has been injured, and she will not stoop to answering such a [fish] -ing response.

Hmph.

[lol]

--------------------

Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You guys owe Dutchie a new keyboard!

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
STF does it all the time, but it's tongue-in-cheek of course. When STF does it is usually with his alter-ego which is McAwesome.

I've really gotten a kick out of the third person think since Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson started doing it when he was still wrestling. It's funny to me.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saran Wrap:
Saran Wrap's dignity has been injured, and she will not stoop to answering such a [fish] -ing response.

Hmph.

[lol]

Is "Hmph" anything like "Pfft?"  -

Signora Del Drago loves a person with a sense of humor!  -

Signora Del Drago must go cook supper,  - now, and will be back later.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages