snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » What the NFBSK is wrong with people? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What the NFBSK is wrong with people?
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More hugs and vibes...

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, up here there are *constant* reminders for people to take care and lock their cars at the cemeteries (especially in November when *everyone* visits on All Saints Day). For years, people have had purses, coats, and other valuables stolen from the cemetery - including the cars themselves. It was never an isolated incident - and they continue to prey upon people at cemeteries.

My sympathies for the incident - but I'm with your grandfather about being afraid to go to the cemetery again. This is not likely to be an isolated incident, and taking his keys was intended to scare him. It worked, and I'm sure others may come forth telling the same story.

Go to the press - nothing like public interest to get action on these kinds of things.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Casey, I just looked thru my wallet. Other cards your grandfather might have had stolen:

-library card
-AAA auto club card
-Blockbuster card (video store)

Granted, these are mostly convenience cards, but your Grandfaher might still want them to be replaced if they were taken...

The cashiers at 'our' Blockbuster rarely look at ID's when you check out videos, so I'd ask about that one first.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Casey, I'm so sorry that happened to your Grandpa. He's lucky to have such a great support system and I'll sure he'll make it through just fine with all that help.

Menolly already said what I was going to. When my wallet got stolen, I called everyone - not just the credit card companies and my bank but the video rental places and libraries I dealt with. I didn't want someone racking up late fees etc in my name.

The cops told me that 90% of the time thieves are just looking for quick cash and aren't brave or smart enough to use credit cards or attempt more agressive identity theft. Problem is, you never know for sure if the person that took your stuff is in that 90% or the other 10%.

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm checking the cemetery today to see if his wallet got dumped. Hopefully.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really sorry to hear about that. Crime in general is bad enough, but to hear that someone robbed an old man in a cemetery is outrageous!

It's sad we live in a world where there's (essentially) nowhere you can go and be safe.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry, Casey. Pass on more vibes to your family. [Frown]

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to show how mad I was, I missubracted for his age. He's actually 86. [Embarrassed]

And no, I'm not going alone today.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear about this. This is horrible. Hugs to your grandfather. I hope this all gets worked out and they catch the scum. I have no sympathy for those that prey on the elderly.

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's any consolation, those who pray upon the elderly in cemetaries don't generally get the best of treatment at the hands of other criminals when they eventually go to jail. Here's hoping for swift justice, or that the next victim is one of those NRA gun toting grannies.

My hugs to you and your grandfather.

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Heck, if it had been my late grandfather, there wouldn't have been an issue. Grandpa would have let two friends settle it for him- Mister Sturm and Mister Ruger.

--------------------

Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Casey, I'm so sorry! That sucks that it happened. I'll be another echo to say make sure he remembers EVERYTHING that was in the wallet, to make sure to cancel anything that may need cancelling.

If he were my grandfather, I'd ask him if he'd want to go to the cemetary with me sometime to visit Grandma- then you could pay your respects and "protect" him at the same time.

I sincerely hope that the asshat gets the worst kind of treatment possible if the cops find him.

**hugs** to all the family.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one here really hoping they catch the guy. And Casey can suckerpunch him.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
horrorqueen99
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horrorqueen99   Author's Homepage   E-mail horrorqueen99   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear about that, hope they catch him.

Put a freeze on the credit reports also, don't just monitor them. Sometimes things don't post your your credit reports right away. After you get a copy of the police reports, you will need to mail copies to the CRA's. The freezes will be free with the police report, and he will get a special pin number to use if anyone legally needs to pull his report.

--------------------
Fear is a place. (Session 9)

Posts: 18 | From: Northridge, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We went all over the cemetery this afternoon, but didn't find Casey's grandpa's wallet. It's such a big cemetery, though, that there wasn't much chance. We did find a lot of fallen leaves that look like wallets from a distance.

Probably the only way the thief will be caught now is if he is stupid enough to try to apply for credit with grandpa's information. What an evil, miserable loser that thief must be.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jinxie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jinxie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so sorry you guys are going through this. THere is a special place in Hell for scumbags like this.

--------------------
Go Jimmie Go! This is your year!

Posts: 676 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What a sad thing to have happen! Poor guy. Did he lose any photos, too, and can they be replaced?

What about a Medicare card? Did he carry that with him, as well?

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
I loathe people who prey on the elderly [Mad] . If there is a hell I hope there is a special ring just for people like that.

A case I knew of involved an old lady who got mugged. What the mugger didn't know, and soon found out, that in her youth she had been a missionary in China where she had studied king fu.

By the time the police arrived, he asked the nice officers to take him and put him in a jail infirmery where he'd be safe.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages