snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Things which annoy you, even though they shouldn't (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Things which annoy you, even though they shouldn't
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Udonny Mouse:
quote:
Originally posted by smackmac:
Negative political ads.

How hard is it to just say "I'm Joe Blow. I want to be a US Senator. Here's all the good things I've done. Here's all the good things I plan to do. Please vote for me. Thank you." Why must they always say "My opponent voted for every tax increase and pay raise for his fat cat cronies and he picks his nose and wipes it on the underside of the desks of school children?"

Do the negative ads really sway that many people?

They sway me. They make me want to vote for whatever candidate isn't using them.

Nonny

You and me both, Nonny.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starla:
I get annoyed by people who talk about how natural remedies are so much better than pharmaceuticals because the drug companies conspire to make their studies reflect well for the drugs. As if the makers of natural remedies don't do the same thing!

My mother-in-law is the worst about this. She used to be a nurse, she should know better. She claims drug companies cannot be trusted, but then talks about how the $40 a bottle Mangosteen juice was proven by studies to be the cure for everything. Right, the makers of that stuff have no ulterior motives at all. [Roll Eyes]

All natural doesn't mean it is safe either. She wants to give my kids all kinds of junk but when I object she says it's harmless. I have told her more than once that if all this stuff is as powerful as claimed then it should be treated as any other drug and taken with caution only after knowing as much about possible side effects as possible. I have even shown her studies about herbal interactions, liver damage from vitamin over dose, etc but obviously I'm just being fooled by Big Pharma and the people hosting workshops at their stores about how their $80 bottles of wonder herbs will cure the world have nothing but altruism in mind.

Argh ARGH! I HATE that! I always remember one girl in one of classes at University (focussing on Critical Thinking, of all things)...we were talking before class one day, and she insited that medicine was teh ebil because companies like profit, and science couldn't be trusted because sometimes it's wrong. I argued that sellers of herbal remedies a) also make money and b) can sell you whatever crap they want with no evidence. I also said that because science is a method of testing to accumulate data, science could not be blamed when people draw faulty conclusions. I also mentioned that without scientific study of some sort, any information gathered would essentially be random guesses and unmitigated bullplop. She responded with the typical "nature good, capitalism bad" arguement so common at my pseudohippie-infested school. I couldn't even continue.
(Don't get me wrong, I liked the school but the crazed leftist-econut-sociolists really bugged me.)
And please don't think I hate the environment or am some sort of rabid conservative. I'm not against the ideas, I'm just against people being stupid about them.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay I fully admit this is a weird one...

When on a movie poster or DVD cover or whatever when the actor's names aren't in the same order as the way the actors are positioned on the image on the poster/cover. I've heard that sometimes if two big stars get into an argument over who gets top billing they will do this as a compromise but it just seems weird to me to see "The Great Submarine Robbery Staring John Doe and Bob Smith" but where Bob is on the right and John is on the left.

Example:

-

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh, I know what you mean, Joe. A friend of mine was very confused by the Bones opening credits, in which actors names were not shown with their respective images. He was firmly convinced that David Boreanez had changed his name.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People who order too much food in the drive-through. There's no reason that should bother me; of course you're entitled to use the drive through no matter what you're ordering. But when I'm stuck behind the dude who is in charge of ordering for his 12 person office ... well ... I'm wishing I could back out and go inside.

I went to visit my husband for lunch the other day and two cars in front of me was two guys doing just that. I was stuck in the drive-through line for 20 minutes! Finally, FINALLY, they figured out their order and drove away ... only they didn't. They pulled forward 15 feet and stopped - blocking the exit and the 7 cars behind them. The car in front of me got his food; I could not pull up far enough. The cashier leaned out the window and told us all to honk.

We honked, but the dude didn't move. Finally, I leaned out my window and yelled "Move your a**, Yuppie-boy!" He moved.

Miss Manners disapproves, but dang it was satisfying! [lol]

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
//total hijack//

I really think the UK style horizental movie posters look cooler then the US style vertical ones.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilrabbit:
Heh, I know what you mean, Joe. A friend of mine was very confused by the Bones opening credits, in which actors names were not shown with their respective images. He was firmly convinced that David Boreanez had changed his name.

I agree with you 100%. I shouldn't have had to go to IMDb to determine that Dr. Cameron from House
 -
is Jennifer Morrison [Razz] , not Lisa Edelstein.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
F minor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for F minor   E-mail F minor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Sabrina The Teenage Witch opening credits ( [Embarrassed] ), the names of the minor cast members are given as Sabrina transforms into a variety of outfits, and the changes seem to synchronise with the names. So I had some idea that Beth Broderick et al played some characters in bizarre outifts that never seemed to appear in the episodes I caught. [fish]
Posts: 124 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rolly eyes emoticons. It shouldn't bother me, but seriously, no one likes to have eyes rolled at them in real life, so why do we find it acceptable to use the emoticon in any and all situations on a message board?

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
F minor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for F minor   E-mail F minor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with that one actually. On another board I visit, the rolly eyes emoticon is considered one of the most unpleasant things you can post in response to something. There have been so many overreactions because of it.
Posts: 124 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I get police reports at work stating someone was found with "marihuana." What the hell is "marihuana?" I've never heard of such a substance. I don't even have a judicial charge for it. I suppose I could charge him with "Possession of marijuana," but if it was a bag of "marihuana" he was caught with, I guess I can't charge him with anything!
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleS:
quote:
Originally posted by F minor:
Inverted commas. Like when someone doesn't like a song and writes 'what an absolutely awful "song"'. Ooh, way to subtley suggest that it isn't a song at all, but something else somehow. Maybe a melodic juxtaposition of notes sung over a musical backing.

It's funny when it backfires though. Someone on a Teletext letters-'n'-emails page said "I hate that the charts are full of dance and hip-hop "rubbish"'. Yeah, that wasn't quite what you meant, was it?

My professors called those scarequotes. And yes, they are annoying when over/improperly used.
Depends on your definition of "improper." A good pCm is never without a fully-stocked supply of scarequotes for the homosexual population.

As I'm sure you're all aware, that drives me absolutely up the wall. Yes, you NFBSKer, gay. As in, a man who likes men. Putting "gay" in quotes doesn't make him any more heterosexual, your moron.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amigone201:
When I get police reports at work stating someone was found with "marihuana." What the hell is "marihuana?"

It's a valid spelling.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midgard_Dragon:
Rolly eyes emoticons. It shouldn't bother me, but seriously, no one likes to have eyes rolled at them in real life, so why do we find it acceptable to use the emoticon in any and all situations on a message board?

[Roll Eyes]

( [Big Grin] )

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the rolly eyes emoticon were to represent sarcasm.

So uynless your sarcasm was directed at someone, then rolling your eyes wouldn't be directed at someone.

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DaGuyWitBluGlasses:
I thought the rolly eyes emoticon were to represent sarcasm.

So uynless your sarcasm was directed at someone, then rolling your eyes wouldn't be directed at someone.

It's also used fairly frequently to denote "Whatever."

I admit, I use them quite frequently when quoting Bush. And it's not because Bush is being sarcastic.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by F minor:
I agree with that one actually. On another board I visit, the rolly eyes emoticon is considered one of the most unpleasant things you can post in response to something. There have been so many overreactions because of it.

I frequently visit another message board where 50% of the posters are from foreign countries, and 25% of the remaining Americans do not communicate well in English. The rolly eyes emoticon, and others, seem to get randomly used for decorative purposes only. I was quite offended when a foreign forum member wrote a "compliment" to me and then followed it with the eye-rolling smilie. Only in later postings did I understand that his compliment was sincere. To me, this: [Roll Eyes] represents sarcasm or an exasperated "Whatever".

People are really good on the ULMB about not overusing smilies. I get very frustrated on the other message board I visit because it is sometimes impossible to actually have a meaningful communication with 75% of the people there. I really only stick around because it's the only active message board for that subject, and the 25% who are literate are also very knowledgable.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It annoys me when people get cutesie with their children's names: rhyming names, alliteration, themes, using the parents' initials over and over, combining the parents' names (Jamie + Lynn + Jamielynn)*. None of my business, and it shouldn't bother me, but it does.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
combining the parents' names
Ha. My parents middle names were Lee and Ann. My sisters middle name is Leeann, my middle name is Allen. They were so creative. [Big Grin]

Just thought I'd...uh...annoy up your day. [Razz]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Professors that arrive to class 10 minutes late, and, because of Snopes, you know there is no rule on how long you have to wait until you get up and leave.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The way people dress. I don't mean everyone should dress the way I do, but it's obvious some people *REALLY* don't give a NFBSK how they look.

I really don't care what other people wear, but I think when you go out in public, you should at least look, well...decent.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People who wear clothes that don't fit them, specifically, clothes that are too small. I don't care how long you think you've worn the same size, or how much your self-esteem is tied up in that number, buy the size that fits. You'll be more comfortable, and so will the rest of us.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate it when you're trying to eavesdrop on a juicy conversation on the train, when another group of louder passengers start talking too and obliges you to eavesdrop on their much more humdrum conversation instead.

This shouldn't annoy me because I really shouldn't be eavesdropping at all, but it sure is annoying.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Oh God don't get me started on names. I could spend hours ranting about dumb shit people do with their names.

- People who have odd spellings of common names and act pretentious about it when you spell it the normal way. Oh I'm sorry I wasn't aware that you somehow managed to spell "Sally" with no S, a Q, a glottal stop, and three Xs. Well excuse the ever living f*ck out of me. If 99.99% of the population spells a name one way, people are going to assume its spelled that way. Don't cop an attitude about it.

- Hyphenated last names. Ladies keep your own name. Or take your husband's. I don't care. Just pick one. And I think I know where this stems from. On my first ship in the Navy there was a girl on the boat named Jackson. She married a man who's last name also happened to be Jackson. Anyone see where I'm going with this? She actually changed her last name to Jackson-Jackson. Had it printed on her uniform and on her name tags. Would get pissed if you just called her Jackson. So basically in any conversation with her, you involuntarly developed a stutter.

- Seconding the people who's children's names either rhyme or all start with the same letter.

--------------------

smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Clothing for pre-teens and very young teens with words across the butt. I find them icky to begin with, but to see a 12 year old walking around with "Babealicious" (or however it's spelled) on her behind is just gross and indecent.

--------------------

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*The hairs growing out of my BF's nostrils. I don't think he'd be offended if I mention that they look BAD but for some reason I haven't mentioned it yet. It's not like anyone can see them standing a normal distance, but my eyes are drawn to them because of our height difference and I just want to clip them.

*Seeing a woman in a lot-cut top displaying very visible stretch marks. In the morning. Working behind the counter at the drug store. Look, I won't show you mine if you don't show me yours. Wear a lab coat or something.

--------------------
When my chin is on the ground I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Posts: 1765 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
It annoys me when people get cutesie with their children's names: rhyming names, alliteration, themes, using the parents' initials over and over, combining the parents' names (Jamie + Lynn + Jamielynn)*. None of my business, and it shouldn't bother me, but it does.

This has been a pet peeve of mine since I was a child. And one day, while telling my husband I hated this, we realized we had done it to our pets accidentally. Hubby's name starts with C, mine with K. Our boy dog and cat both have C names and our girl dog has a K name. Without ever intending to do this! So all C and K names were instantly banned for our kids, which actually made life a bit difficult.
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trash-talking parents at kids' games. I shouldn't let it get to me because it's partly psychological warfare, I should be a better adult than they, and so on. Still, it bugs the hell out of me! Set a good example for your kids. Don't make snide comments as you pass the other team's seating section. Don't sit in the other team's section and boo them. Use that energy to cheer for your own team.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Sleep bothers me. Not the act of sleeping but the fact that I am biologically required to spend between 1/3 and 1/4 of my entire life doing nothing.

If I live to an average age I will have spent between 18 and 25 years in a daily mild coma.

I mean I've studied evolutionary biology and it makes perfect sense, just seems like such a waste.

--------------------

Joe Bentley

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Udonny Mouse:
quote:
Negative political ads.

How hard is it to just say "I'm Joe Blow. I want to be a US Senator. Here's all the good things I've done. Here's all the good things I plan to do. Please vote for me. Thank you." Why must they always say "My opponent voted for every tax increase and pay raise for his fat cat cronies and he picks his nose and wipes it on the underside of the desks of school children?"

Do the negative ads really sway that many people?

They sway me. They make me want to vote for whatever candidate isn't using them.

Nonny

You and me both, Nonny.
Am I also the only one that finds is terribly sad and ironic when a candidate runs an attack attacking the other candidate for running attack ads?

Shouldn't we be voted for people, not voting against other people?

--------------------

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Annoying things. Recumbant bicycles and their riders. I don't know why. It may have to do with the self-satisfied smirk of the latter. And the fact that they are usually of a phenotype that I find particularly unattractive.

Yes, it's irrational.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Am I also the only one that finds is terribly sad and ironic when a candidate runs an attack attacking the other candidate for running attack ads?

Shouldn't we be voted for people, not voting against other people?

I put up my OP because of one candidate who had nothing but attack ads. I thought the other candidate had better morals, but today, his radio ad attacked the first guys attack ads! So totally ridiculous. Neither one of them deserve my vote now.

--------------------

Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is an odd one.

I get annoyed at the fact that I get relatively pissed when I read people spouting out things that is not simply a case of having different opinions, but a case of being absolutely wrong.

It's not so them as it is with me. You'd think after everything I read I wouldn't get as riled up about things like but I still do, and will probably continue to do so. I know no matter what I or anyone else says, they'll still continue on with their ways, and I should be able to live with that but I still get pissed nonetheless.

Also, I do hate the rolling eyes emoticon.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
Annoying things. Recumbant bicycles and their riders. I don't know why. It may have to do with the self-satisfied smirk of the latter. And the fact that they are usually of a phenotype that I find particularly unattractive.

Yes, it's irrational.

I've seen some tandem recumbent bikes around here. The riders' contented togetherness probably gives them one more thing to smirk about. [Wink]

--------------------

Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Clothing for pre-teens and very young teens with words across the butt. I find them icky to begin with, but to see a 12 year old walking around with "Babealicious" (or however it's spelled) on her behind is just gross and indecent.

I disagree with you on one point:

This isn't something you "shouldn't" be annoyed about. We all SHOULD be. All the sexualizing of our young girls... thank goodness my 13yo is extremely modest or I would go insane clothes shopping for her. No way in HELL is my young daughter wearing something with a word spelled across the ass or something like "sexy diva" across her boobs ('cause damnit she has those now, sigh.) Satin bra and panty sets for pre-teens? THONGS?? Hell I saw satin camisole style nighties in the girls' section.

Ok, ok, I'm done now.

[/end rant]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander cyclone:
quote:

I disagree with you on one point:

This isn't something you "shouldn't" be annoyed about. We all SHOULD be. All the sexualizing of our young girls... thank goodness my 13yo is extremely modest or I would go insane clothes shopping for her. No way in HELL is my young daughter wearing something with a word spelled across the ass or something like "sexy diva" across her boobs ('cause damnit she has those now, sigh.) Satin bra and panty sets for pre-teens? THONGS?? Hell I saw satin camisole style nighties in the girls' section.

Ok, ok, I'm done now.

[/end rant]

Which is why I'm sooooooooo glad I have boys!! [Big Grin]

I probably should have stated that better. The clothes themselves for older teens and young adults are what irritates me and shouldn't. I find them icky. The whole idea of girl's clothes now just makes me cringe. When I see some of the things my 12 year old niece wears, I just want to slap her mother upside the head and say "What the NFBSK were you thinking?" I buy her clothes, it's jeans and t-shirts, and none with any suggestive words, either.

--------------------

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages