snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Stupid Toilet! Possible TMI

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stupid Toilet! Possible TMI
gudrin
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 02 posted      Profile for gudrin   E-mail gudrin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do see the funny side to all of this too, but I'm getting rather frustrated. I'm home alone for the day. Not a big deal, this happens most every day. However, usually I can get in touch with my husband if anything goes wrong, but today I can't. He's at a business meeting in Canada and won't be home till really late tonight.

I got up this morning, an hour or so after my husband left, and proceeded to the bathroom. The water in the toilet was high. I knew it was plugged so I grabbed the plunger and tried to get the stupid thing to unplug. The water moved more freely, so I used the toilet. Okay, no problem. Things seemed to be working, though not at peak performance. I figured I would wait a couple of hours and see how things were working.

A couple of hours later, I had a bout with morning sickness. There was no way I was going to make it out of the house* without making a mess elsewhere, so I headed for the toilet. Once again, though slow moving, things seemed to still be working. I waited till some of the nausea passed, not wanting to be looking into a toilet with a plunger while feeling sick, and then tried plunging the stupid thing again. No go. Meanwhile, my husband calls just before his border crossing, and I asked him what he did to the toilet. "Oh yeah! I plugged it." Really? I had no idea.

Now things are getting desperate. It won't work. I don't have a plumbing snake to use on it, can't call the plumber because they won't get out here today anyway, and have only one bathroom. None of the neighbors are home (and they live a few miles away anyway) so I can't use their bathrooms. So, what does a pregnant lady that's feeling sick do in times of need? Luckily there's a mop bucket in the basement that works rather well. I also grabbed another bucket in case of illness. Of course this had to happen when I couldn't get in touch with my husband. Although, he already knows anyway. Gah!

* I figured I would go outside if I got sick, then I could hose down the area and no one would really know.

--------------------
Hey look! A shiny new post!

Posts: 125 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You wouldn't happen to have a garbage diposal in your kitchen sink? If so, that would be a good place to spew while the toilet's backed up.

But you're in the country and someone's probably convinced you you can't have a disposal with a septic (false). Then again, you're out in the country, so at least you can slop your bucket outside the immediate vicinity of the house.

Good luck! I have an old one-bath farmhouse, but we've used the motorhome toilet for a spare in times of need.

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not just use the sink? Unless you don't chew your food properly, nothing is going to be too big to go down the sink.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
elfbunny
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elfbunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually use the kitchen sink on a regular basis. The side with the disposal anyway. It's a lot more comfortable than the toilet. Plus you can run the water while you are getting ill, helps with the "smell". I started doing this when I was pregnant with my last daughter and we only had one bathroom.

--------------------
http://my.tupperware.com/ajd325

Posts: 78 | From: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MizzyLou
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MizzyLou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, my. Sounds terribly familiar. We've named our toilet The Diva, because sometimes she performs, and sometimes she doesn't. We've become very friendly with our neighbor across the street; he's our plumber. When I call the dispatch lady, I just say "Tell Dave to swing by on his way home tonight." We bought a drain snake, too, which has cut down on visits from Dave. I would recommend one, they're pretty cheap.

On another note, I hope the morning sickness passes quickly.

Posts: 264 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used the sink while I was pregnant. I've never felt comfortable putting my face that close to a toilet bowl.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahdra
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kahdra   E-mail Kahdra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would also recommend the sink.

We use zip-loc bags for carsickness. They work well, and seal the stink in nicely.

--------------------
"Science makes everything sound painful, Spongebob." - Sandy

Posts: 225 | From: Salt Lake County, UT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gudrin
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gudrin   E-mail gudrin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The toilet is working just fine now. My husband had it working within two minutes of getting home. Evidently there's a trick to the plunging that I didn't know about when I tried it. Either that, or I'm just not strong enough or something.

About using the kitchen sink...It's a good idea, but not feasible for me. Let's just say the visual wouldn't do me any good. That's why I use the toilet. I can close my eyes and not worry about it.

--------------------
Hey look! A shiny new post!

Posts: 125 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gudrin:
The toilet is working just fine now. My husband had it working within two minutes of getting home. Evidently there's a trick to the plunging that I didn't know about when I tried it. Either that, or I'm just not strong enough or something.

About using the kitchen sink...It's a good idea, but not feasible for me. Let's just say the visual wouldn't do me any good. That's why I use the toilet. I can close my eyes and not worry about it.

1. Glad to hear you got'er up and working.

2. My mother knows the plunger trick (i.e. actually getting one to work). I just bought one of those really long ones, that move a LOT of water, so that it'll either move the clog or break the damn toilet [lol]

3. What happened to the good ol' Spew Bucket? That's what my family used. Of course, just one look at the thing and you feel like throwing up anyways.

Talk about Pavlov's dog. Sheesh. [fish]

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gudrin:

Yeah -- plunging is both a science and a sport. I don't think I was ever up for the intellectual and physical challenge of it when I was pregnant.

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elsie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elsie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since brushing my teeth (of all things) is what triggered the vomiting when I was pregnant (both times!!!), I sort of got used to using the sink.

--------------------
I'm an excellent speller, but a lousy typist.
"Just so you know, the words 'just' and 'cramps' - they don't go together." - Ginger Snaps

Posts: 323 | From: Chandler, AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elsie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elsie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since brushing my teeth (of all things) is what triggered the vomiting when I was pregnant (both times!!!), I sort of got used to using the sink.

--------------------
I'm an excellent speller, but a lousy typist.
"Just so you know, the words 'just' and 'cramps' - they don't go together." - Ginger Snaps

Posts: 323 | From: Chandler, AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Remind me never to eat at any of your houses! Throwing up in the sink? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had to use the bathtub because I couldn't get off the toilet...

And the garbage bag was full.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SkyeWynters:
3. What happened to the good ol' Spew Bucket? That's what my family used. Of course, just one look at the thing and you feel like throwing up anyways.

You can't do nothing about the fresh bucket making you sick (apart from getting a nicely colored Velvet Spew Bucket Cover (tm) [Wink] ), but you can do something about the smell: Put some water (about three fingers high) in the fresh bucket. It keeps the smell at a tolerable level.

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
I've had to use the bathtub because I couldn't get off the toilet...

Me too, once. [Frown]

Zor "Damn kids gave me a stomach virus of epic proportions" ro

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 95 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
Remind me never to eat at any of your houses! Throwing up in the sink? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

What, you prepare your meals in the sink?!

I've used the bath, too. Good thing it's quite close to the toilet!

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well , naturally I'd clean the sink with bleach and disinfectant afterward!

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Bleach is your friend.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After the last time I had food poisoning, it's been a requirement of mine that every house I live in must have at least one toilet that is comfortably close to the sink, for those moments when everything is coming out of you as fast as it can.

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
quote:
Originally posted by SkyeWynters:

You can't do nothing about the fresh bucket making you sick (apart from getting a nicely colored Velvet Spew Bucket Cover (tm) [Wink] ), but you can do something about the smell: Put some water (about three fingers high) in the fresh bucket. It keeps the smell at a tolerable level.

Don Enrico

Oh, it's not the smell - it smells all lemony and piney thanks to cleaning it and using it to mop floors. It's just the bucket in and of itself. Of course, the screams of "Where's the bucket? Where's the bucket? *vomit on the floor*" doesn't help either [lol]

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages