snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » People Who Put The Toothpaste Back In The Tube (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: People Who Put The Toothpaste Back In The Tube
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by a snopester who shall remain nameless to protect his evil:
quote:
It's like trying to get toothpaste back in the tube. Once it's out, it's out.
Ugh, that's nasty? Who are these people, trying to put toothpaste back into the tube? Don't they realize that we use that for our TEETH? Body wash I could maybe see, so long as it hasn't been around any naughty bits. But toothpaste? Pretty much once it goes into your mouth, it's lost any ability to aid anyone else's hygiene.

Honestly, before this post I thought this kind of behavior was beyond the pale. Now, the Poster Who Will Remain Unnamed has rocked my world and shocked my mouth. Nooooooooo!

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nobody Important
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nobody Important   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard this saying used, other than figuratively.

I've heard it mostly applied to feeding an infant with a spoon for the first time... "It's like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube."

YMMV and all that.

Posts: 482 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever. You're probably one of those people who try it.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Miles Invictus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Invictus   E-mail Miles Invictus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Couldn't they use mouthwash instead of toothpaste, and save themselves a ton of effort?
Posts: 236 | From: Iowa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Forgotten Fay
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forgotten Fay   Author's Homepage   E-mail Forgotten Fay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why be so rude Johnny? Nobody was just saying that they have only heard of this in a figurative sense. It wasn't a snarky reply, but just saying they have never heard of anybody actually DOING it. As far as I have heard it, it's just an expression for saying a task is very difficult.

--------------------
"Smile for me when I cannot Smile anymore..." ~ Myself

Posts: 174 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, as far as I have heard, you're a toothpaste putter back inner TOO. And from what I can imagine BECAUSE I WOULD NEVER TRY IT MYSELF it's not so much hard as grooooooss.

--------------------

effo5231
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for effo5231   Author's Homepage   E-mail effo5231   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The snopester who shall remain nameless was paraphrasing the slightly more understandable phrase; "Money in the bank is like toothpaste in the tube. Easy to take out, hard to put back."

I'm pretty sure Earl Wilson said it, but don't quote me on that.

--------------------
"What!? Those are my graham crackers! Don't move I'm going to go find something to strike you with!"

Posts: 66 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As the nameless evil one, I confess that I was speaking literally. And it is gross. I agree with Johnny! The worst part is when they try to reuse it.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

quote:
Originally posted by Miles Invictus:
Couldn't they use mouthwash instead of toothpaste, and save themselves a ton of effort?

An excellent point! Not only are these people disgusting, they're kind of stupid as well! Although I wonder if Listerine loses some of its "lister" the 2nd or 3rd time around.

--------------------

Johnny Slick

quote:
Originally posted by Forgotten Fay:
Why be so rude Johnny? Nobody was just saying that they have only heard of this in a figurative sense. It wasn't a snarky reply, but just saying they have never heard of anybody actually DOING it. As far as I have heard it, it's just an expression for saying a task is very difficult.

quote:
Originally posted by EvilGAnzevilfeld
As the nameless evil one, I confess that I was speaking literally. And it is gross. I agree with Johnny! The worst part is when they try to reuse it.

Yeah! Put that in your pipe and smoke it! I bet you feel PRETTY embarrassed now, Forgotten Fay! Well, let me tell you something. We will never forget! Not 9/11, not Pearl Harbor, and certainly not when you put the toothpaste back in the tube!

--------------------

WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never done it with toothpaste, but I will admit I have put shampoo back in the bottle.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

Before or after you used it in your hair?

--------------------

NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 98 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 - There is sweet tea all over my moniter... should I put it back in the pitcher?

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThespiSis
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThespiSis   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've done it with lotions, hair creams, soaps, and shampoos. I've never done it with toothpaste that had touched anything else (though I've sucked what was sitting around the opening back in). Put the tube up next to the substance and squeeze it from the sides, and it'll go back in again (well, some of it).

--------------------
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out.~~Alfred Hitchcock

The Big Beautiful Women Homepage

Posts: 1315 | From: BFE Tennessee (aka The 'boro) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Forgotten Fay
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forgotten Fay   Author's Homepage   E-mail Forgotten Fay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never heard it done literally! That IS gross... I thought it was just about the figure of speach. I just thought you didn't have to be rude to Nobody. They took it the same way I did.

Forgotten "I don't smoke" Fay

--------------------
"Smile for me when I cannot Smile anymore..." ~ Myself

Posts: 174 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! Such a level of emotion over a metaphor.

I always discard any additional toothpaste that squeezes out of the tube, over and above what I need for my oral hygiene. But I do admit to having squeezed a tube of tomato puree, to return an unwanted portion to the tube. Am I a bad person?

Also I confess to having sometimes having 'let the cat out of the bag.' To reassure all cat lovers, or indeed bag lovers out there, there was no actual cat, and no actual bag involved.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Publius
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Publius     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
I've never done it with toothpaste, but I will admit I have put shampoo back in the bottle.

Hell, I've seen frat boys put the grain alcohol back in the punchbowl. Among other places.
Posts: 1640 | From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roy012
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy012     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To reassure all cat lovers, or indeed bag lovers out there, there was no actual cat, and no actual bag involved.

You are mistaken. October 18, 1953- actual cat, actual bag, no survivors.

--------------------
"Excuse me, homes, but could you tell me how to get back to the interstate?"

Posts: 1245 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

The real mistake was putting the cat in the bag in the first place. I know cats like enclosed spaces, but after a while they're just going to get stuffy and mean.

--------------------

Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And this leads me to wonder - who let Johnny out of the bag?

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

I'll have you know that I'm still half in the bag!

--------------------

Eddylizard

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, okay I break down under snopester interrrogation. Erwin Schrödinger was my long lost uncle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger's_cat

ETA Irony. [fish]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I've occasionally squeezed out a little too much toothpaste - not ONTO anything, it was just still hanging on the nozzle. And I tried to unsqueeze the tube so it would get sucked back in. But it really didn't work.

So call me evil [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
geeze, Johnny, this has really rocked your world, have you finally had about 1/3 of what you can take?

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Norton II   E-mail Norton II       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't put toothpaste back in the tube, that's messy. Instead, I spit the toothpaste into a cup. Every couple of days, rather than put fresh toothpaste on my brush, I swish the brush in the toothpaste residue cup and use that on my teeth.

Waste not, want not! [fish]

--------------------
Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico

Posts: 287 | From: Mystic, CT | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OMG!!!!!111eleventyone11!!! So many wasteful people!!!11!!!

You all should be more like Norton II. Don't you people realize that toothpaste trees all over the world are being decimated by deforestation?

If you don't reuse and recycle your toothpaste, toothpaste trees will eventually become extinct. What will you do then?

I'll tell you what you'll do - you'll have to use baking soda to brush your teeth. Yuck! That'll teach you to be wasteful!

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norton II   E-mail Norton II       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wanderwoman:
OMG!!!!!111eleventyone11!!! So many wasteful people!!!11!!!

If you don't reuse and recycle your toothpaste, toothpaste trees will eventually become extinct. What will you do then?

Exactly. Do you people think that toothpaste trees grow on trees?

--------------------
Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico

Posts: 287 | From: Mystic, CT | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 98 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This icon is me spitting out de-listered Listerine.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Slick:
Although I wonder if Listerine loses some of its "lister" the 2nd or 3rd time around.

Please may I use this for my sigline, Johnny?

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forgotten Fay:
I just thought you didn't have to be rude to Nobody.

Now, I'm no expert, but I believe Johnny's response might just have possibly been what I hear is commonly referred to as a "joke."

But I'm no expert.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is probably one time when it's appropriate to point out someone's newbie-ness. Fay has only been here 2 months - and Johnny has been sporadic in his Johnny-ness. So, she probably didn't quite understand that Johnny fluctuates wildly between lucidity and insanity.

Love ya, Johnny!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roadie:
So, she probably didn't quite understand that Johnny fluctuates wildly between lucidity and insanity.

And often in the same sentence!

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

posted by wanderwoman:

You all should be more like Norton II. Don't you people realize that toothpaste trees all over the world are being decimated by deforestation?

Toothpaste trees, as we all know, like paper pulp trees come from managed forests, and reach maturity at around ten years.

Since decimate means to remove or kill one in every ten, replanting will ensure a steady supply of toothpaste for the foreseeable future.

And yeah, that baking soda toothpaste is awful stuff!

--------------------

Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Slick:
I'll have you know that I'm still half in the bag!

That might go a way toward explaining the OP...

In Don Rosa's "Life and Times of Uncle Scrooge," there's a scene where one of the characters accidentally breaks a "new fangled" electric light bulb. (The story is set in the 1880's.) The owner complains that now he'll have electricity leaking out all over the floor.

Later, a bus-boy is seen sweeping up the glass-shards...and, when he dumps the dust-pan, there is an electrical bzzz/zap...

On a far more NFBSK theme, anyone ever try to put the ejaculate back into the tube whence it emits?

Silas (And I've got no excuse at all, being cold sober.)

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

quote:

By silas Sparkhammer:

The owner complains that now he'll have electricity leaking out all over the floor.

Anecdotal, per my parents (who frankly are full of c##p) my grandmother used to believe the same thing. During the first half of the 20th century, it was possible to buy an adaptor thingie, that plugged into a light fitting (having removed the lamp) and could be used to power another electrical appliance. No longer available, probably because it's downright bloody dangerous.

Anyway, according to parents, my grandmother was concerned that the lamp be replaced immediately after removing the adaptor, lest the light fitting 'leak' electricity.

--------------------

Eddylizard

quote:
On a far more NFBSK theme, anyone ever try to put the ejaculate back into the tube whence it emits?

I've never heard of it, but if you google enough, there may be some specialist sites.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages