snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » It's my money, let me spend it the way I choose! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: It's my money, let me spend it the way I choose!
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ali_marea:
Oh, and to Johnny and BeachLife. While everyone has a right to pick on other people for what they buy, I have just as much of a right to think people who do so are rude.

quote:
Originally posted by Winston Churchill:
Ma'am you may be stupid and I may be rude, but tomorrow I can pretend to be polite.

I kid, I kid!

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
My most common mode of transportation has 140,000 horsepower, and can circle the globe 50 times on a single tank of fuel.

Now why can't I get that kind of gas mileage? [Wink]

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Paulie Jay, your attitude in that other thread gave me reason to extrapolate. I thought you were kinda over the top about GPS use. It was nothing against you. I just think your reaction to GPS use is a bit....odd.

Fair enough I suppose, although I don't really see what's so over the top about saying "unless I'm lost in the Amazon".  -

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder sometimes if it is jealousy talking. A good friend of ours has a gorgeous brand new car with heated and cooled seats, GPS, and all sorts of nifty things that nobody needs. These are things that at my current income level are just ridiculous expenses. But he's not at my income level. He can well afford a car that talks to him and tells him how to get to Costco, and lets him know how much farther he can go before he runs out of gas. I guess the "responsible" thing to do when you have extra money is to put into a savings account for a rainy day, but I happen to know that this guy is set for a Biblical flood. How much more savings does a person need? If you have the extra money why not spend it on a car that talks to you?

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie Jay:
Seeing as though I brought up GPS in the other thread I think I should respond.

The name of the thread was Products That Make You Say "What The...?" (or whatever) and I simply listed GSP as something that I see little point in, outside of being "lost in the Amazon". I made no judgements on the people who buy them. I never said that I had a problem with them. I never said that GPS should be taken to the nearest bottomless pit and be cast into the void. I never said someone was less of a person for buying GPS. I merely said that I think it's pointless.

GPS is a wonderful, glorious, godsend of an invention.

Hi, I'm BlushingBride, and I have no sense of direction. I'm also an insecure driver. Take these two ingredients, stir in a healthy dose of absolute terror of being lost, bake in a city with no public transportation, and you have the recipe for a beginning agoraphobe.

You can set me down at the end of a straight road, point in one direction, and say "Straight ahead, you can't miss it," and I will get lost. I do not know how. I am an intelligent person. I'm also fully capable of reading a map. I am, however, useless when it comes to translating that map into 3D space. I have no mental map. I can't get to a place I have been as a passenger 30 times. I was 24 years old before I was able to drive on a highway alone. I can't easily adjust when the road throws confusions like detours at me.

GPS has made me able to drive wherever I need to go, not only with peace of mind, but with confidence. Knowing that I will be instantly able to see where I am and how to get where I need to be, no matter what happens, has opened up new worlds to me. And that, I think, is the point.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ALi, I'm with you--it's none of my freaking business what someone else drives, owns, etc.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
GPS in cars are wonderful. Sure maps work, but when you're driving alone to someplace you've never been before, its a huge hassle to pull over all the time and get your bearings. Maybe you can look at a map and drive, but I have trouble with it. Even when you've got someone doing your navigating for you, its not an easy task. I usually get directions like "ok... turn left... on that street we just passed... oops". I'd much rather have the computer tell me that in time to actually get in the correct lane and do it. Sometimes sidestreets aren't labelled very well and it can be hard to read them, especially at night, and its frustrating to have to go slow looking for the signs with annoyed locals tailgating you. I'm not even bad with maps, I'm great with them, I'm just not good with memorizing the directions and multitasking while trying to pay attention to traffic. A couple thousand dollars to avoid all that is not an unreasonable purchase at all. I can see someone not wanting to pay it, but I can't understand criticizing someone who does. As the technology keeps getting cheaper, soon they'll be a standard feature and using maps to drive will be like using a slide rule or abacus instead of a calculator.

As for handheld units, I haven't had much use for them in my own life, but my dad had all kinds of GPS units for sailing. GPS is a must out on the open water. Sure you could navigate the old fashioned way, but its a far more complex task than simply reading a street map. GPS makes life a lot easier for sailors. And if you happen to have one, they can make visits in an unfamiliar city much more pleasant, just like the car version. Carrying maps around is even more obnoxious when you're walking than in a car. The new ones even show satellite images like google maps, so you can visualize the map better.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wintermute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wintermute     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magdalene:
At the time I bought my SUV--TEN years ago, gas price was cheap and nobody was bitching at me that my car was a gas guzzler.

10 years ago I was still bitching about fuel efficient cars. Environmental groups have been bitching for years about fuel efficiency.

quote:
You don't like what I drive? Feel free to buy and pay for the car of YOUR choice and give it to me as a gift.
Or the more obvious answer. Push for increased fuel prices, tax penalties for fuel efficient cars, and other economic deterrents for vehicles that are not conducive to the environmental goals of the united states.
Posts: 4580 | From: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlushingBride:
GPS is a wonderful, glorious, godsend of an invention.

Hi, I'm BlushingBride, and I have no sense of direction. I'm also an insecure driver. Take these two ingredients, stir in a healthy dose of absolute terror of being lost, bake in a city with no public transportation, and you have the recipe for a beginning agoraphobe.

You can set me down at the end of a straight road, point in one direction, and say "Straight ahead, you can't miss it," and I will get lost. I do not know how. I am an intelligent person. I'm also fully capable of reading a map. I am, however, useless when it comes to translating that map into 3D space. I have no mental map. I can't get to a place I have been as a passenger 30 times. I was 24 years old before I was able to drive on a highway alone. I can't easily adjust when the road throws confusions like detours at me.

GPS has made me able to drive wherever I need to go, not only with peace of mind, but with confidence. Knowing that I will be instantly able to see where I am and how to get where I need to be, no matter what happens, has opened up new worlds to me. And that, I think, is the point.

And that's all fine - if you have a use for it all power to you! [Smile] I simply mentioned that for me it is pointless. I don't really care that much about it either way to be honest. It was a flippant thread to begin with and every time I have to defend my off-the-cuff remark it makes it look like I've got some big agenda on the subject. I don't - really.

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not saying anything bad about that thread, mind you. I just don't get why products would make anyone surprised.

See, I don't get why you wouldn't get that. [Big Grin]

Humans take things for granted. For example, I have a very good sense of direction and rarely get lost. I'm very good at reading maps and interpreting them into 3D space. My entire immediate family is the same way. So I take that ability for granted, and the idea that somebody else needs an electronic device to get from Point A to Point B might make me go "huh?" Not because I'm judgmental or a jerk, but just because it's outside my experience.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me & Paulie Jay - the prime offenders [Big Grin]

My OP was that I think luxury SUVs are a waste because from what I've seen (thanks Roadie [Smile] ) they are used just for driving in the city. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that we take off-road camping, and when I say off-road camping, I mean off-road camping. We don't go to campsites. We find spots in the woods that we like and get permission to camp. Typically, there are no roads to these places. Sometimes we can't even get the vehicles in. But that's where my Grand Cherokee goes.

When I purchased my Grand Cherokee, it was with insurance money that we received when our original used Grand Cherokee was totaled in a head-on collision with a Mercedes. We received $75K in an insurance settlement. We purchased the brand new Grand Cherokee rather than another make/model because my husband works at a Dodge/Chrylser/Jeep dealer and we got the employee discount before they were offered to the general public and because we needed something large enough to cart around 4 people & a German Shepherd. The extra money was put away for my kids' college & my retirement. We had purchased our original used Grand Cherokee because it was a cheap trade in and we needed because another vehicle that would go off road and we couldn't get 2 of us and a car seat in the pick-up.

The Grand Cherokee has crappy gas mileage and I know that. I try not to complain about gas prices, but I also am sure to shop at the local stores that give you 10 cents off a gallon of gas for each $50 you spend.

I understand that it is your money and it is your right to do what you want with it. It is also my right to be offended by someone driving an Escalade just because it's the thing to buy.

I have no objection to GPS. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

By Wintermute:

Or the more obvious answer. Push for increased fuel prices, tax penalties for fuel efficient cars, and other economic deterrents for vehicles that are not conducive to the environmental goals of the united states.

Did you mean tax penalties for non-fuel efficent cars?

IIRC something like 80% of the cost of a unit of fuel here is tax. Plus the annual road tax for owning a vehicle considered inefficent is somewhat higher than for a smaller vehicle.

Has this reduced the use/ownership of such vehicles? Not one jot.

I'm all for reducing fuel usage, but there has to be a balance. As I have posted before, the best way to get people out of their cars would be an affordable, reliable and convenient public transport alternative. Not pricing people out of their cars.

Also, it might be worth considering that when you walk/cycle to the shop for a loaf of bread, or a lettuce or whatever, that item had to get to the shop somehow. For the most part this is done by truck.

The truck operators have to pay the same taxes as the casual motorist, or someone who relies on their car to get to and from work.

When fuel taxes go up, the transport companies do not absorb this extra cost. They pass it on to the supplier, who passes it on to the retailer. Who passes it on to you.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
I'm not saying anything bad about that thread, mind you. I just don't get why products would make anyone surprised.

Humans take things for granted. For example, I have a very good sense of direction and rarely get lost. I'm very good at reading maps and interpreting them into 3D space. My entire immediate family is the same way. So I take that ability for granted, and the idea that somebody else needs an electronic device to get from Point A to Point B might make me go "huh?" Not because I'm judgmental or a jerk, but just because it's outside my experience.

[Roll Eyes] And you've never driven anywhere new alone? You like reading a map with one hand on the steering wheel? You can spot unilluminated street signs at night? Its absurd for you to imply that people who benefit from a system that is in every way superior must be inferior at spatial reasoning. Most of the people with GPS systems in their car are still old enough to have used maps before and are perfectly capable of falling back on them if the more convenient method weren't available.

If you're good at mental arithmetic, does it boggle the mind that anyone would want a calculator? Maybe you're capable of dividing by the cube root of an 8 digit number in your head very quickly, but even so, you could probably do it faster with a calculator. Back when calculators were expensive luxuries, people did scoff at ever needing them when they got by so many years without them. But now that they cost a couple of dollars, its become apparent that while some mental arithmetic is a useful skill, doing major calculations on paper out of scorn for the calculator is just stubborn and petty (unless of course you're a student, since everyone should know how to do it). I don't know many people who actually need to perform complex calculations (more than a few digits per number) that will avoid a calculator just to show off. Its immature. You can do it yourself, but its not faster or more convenient. Nor is it more accurate, since you can still use your skills to estimate the solution for the purposes of sanity checking.

You have to distinguish between a necessity and a convenience. A GPS while driving is a necessity for very few people. It is a convenience for nearly everyone. Your income level may influence how much you value your convenience. But sooner or later you'll have a GPS in your car, because the price will keep coming down to where it doesn't make sense not to have it, and you won't fumble around with street maps.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When fuel taxes go up, the transport companies do not absorb this extra cost. They pass it on to the supplier, who passes it on to the retailer. Who passes it on to you.
No, not really. They can try to pass it along all they want, but if the people on the next level of the chain think the price is too high and can accomplish what they need elsewhere, they'll go elsewhere. Sure, you can try to justify the price increase but your supplier and then the consumer won't necessarily accept your justification. Sorry, but that's how capitalism works. It amazes me how many proponents of the so-called free market don't understand the basic concept of supply and demand.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Johnny, if the cost of operations goes up for everyone in the business, then the supply of services at a lower price goes down. Supply and demand is a two way street. The transport company only gets screwed if they have competitors who aren't gouged by the increased cost of doing business, which in the case of rising fuel prices wouldn't be the case. It could mean trains become slightly more popular, but thats not going to be a huge threat to trucking companies. Most basic transportation services already have only a modest profit margin due to competition, and are not going to operate at a loss. Increasing fuel prices are a major source of inflation due to their effects on operational costs of all kinds of businesses. However, in the US we have cheap gas anyway, so increasing it isn't necessarily a bad thing, even if it does mean inflation.

Basic economics creates a curve where as you increase the price of a service, you decrease the demand for it. However, your profits are your profit margin multiplied by the demand, not simply demand or simply the profit margin. The goal is to maximize that function, but the optimal solution changes when your cost of doing business changes. When costs are low, it makes sense to have more customers at a slightly lower margin, but when costs go up the best way to maximize that function is to have fewer customers at a larger margin, so it makes sense to raise prices to compensate even at the expense of losing some customers. It doesn't make for a successful business to have millions of customers at a profit margin of 0. A sense of what is fair doesn't enter into the equation, but overall I'd say the end result is quite fair.

Wintermute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wintermute     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
Did you mean tax penalties for non-fuel efficent cars?

No,I meant fuel efficent cars. [fish] You are correct. I meant non-fuel efficent cars.
Posts: 4580 | From: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why has nobody mentioned this?

I'd like to see an econo-box, a hybrid, or even a front-wheel drive minivan tow a 5000 pound boat. My father happens to own such a boat - it's almost 40 years old and in perfectly good condition. It's far more economical for him to keep this boat, than to get another one. And he likes it.

But what to do for towing this boat when going fishing? Most places up here frown upon towing with rental vehicles (as if life wasn't already harsh on a rental), and the cost of storage, insurance and initial outlay is prohibitive. One large-sized SUV does just fine for a semi-retired fishing enthusiast. And it's great in the snow as well. It would take more years to return the investment of a new (lighter) boat and smaller SUV (not to mention a second vehicle so the SUV is not a daily driver), than he has life expectancy.

People choose their hobbies in various fashion. A trip to Europe, by plane is not chided as being particularly environmentally damaging. So consider this - a 747 gets approximately 100 miles per gallon, per person. So your "share" of fuel for a 4350mile/7000km flight to Europe, for two people, return, is about 174 gallons or 660 litres. That's about 3 times the amount of fuel consumed in a whole season of fishing, by my parents. And yet, people will whine and complain about the horrible fuel consumption of an outboard motor.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Happy Llama
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happy Llama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlushingBride:

BlushingBride I believe you have just solved many an argument between myself and my SO. I never really thoght it was possible until I saw that she is not the only one with that special kind of sense of direction.

As for people who drive big trucks and SUVs my brother drives a Chevy Avalanche 14city/18hwy. He lives alone and rarely has anyone else in the truck with him. He is the epitome of the attitude 'Yes this is my truck, no I won't help you move'. I don't think I have ever seen him haul anything in it. but I will never fault him his reasoning. He is 6'4" tall and weighs almost 400 pounds, he is not physically capable of driving an economy car. I drive a '90 Ford P/U that on a good day gets 15 miles to a gallon on the highway. I have available to me a Mazda MX-6 that gets almost 25mpg and I drive the truck. Not because I enjoy spending $75 to fill up my truck every week, but because folding my 6'6" 300lb frame into a tiny sports car to save a few dollars on gas is painful. My brother and I are large people, I would appreciate not getting diet tips from anyone, outside the norm but we are definately indicative of the reason why many americans drive large trucks and cars.

~~~~~~~~
"Fat and" Happy Llama

Posts: 30 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:

[Roll Eyes] And you've never driven anywhere new alone? You like reading a map with one hand on the steering wheel? You can spot unilluminated street signs at night? Its absurd for you to imply that people who benefit from a system that is in every way superior must be inferior at spatial reasoning.
Wow, talk about missing the point of my post. What part of "not because I'm judgmental" and "it's outside my experience" don't you understand?

I never said I consider myself superior to people who use or need GPS systems, and I never thought it. Hell, I don't have a particularly strong opinion about GPS systems in general. It was an example.

Why do you care what I think about them anyhow?

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild Card
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Card     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lainie- I think Errata was giving an example of why being good at interpreting maps doesn't have much to do with the GPS.

--------------------
"It's a perfect system...unless it screws up." -Biology Professor

Posts: 495 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Lainie, what you said had nothing to do with anything. The fact that you thought it had anything to do with it implied your true feelings. You think the tool is a crutch for people without your skills, when in fact its just flat out more convenient even for people who are good with maps.
Johnny Slick

If you're 6'4" and weigh 400 pounds, perhaps you should not own a car.

--------------------

Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lainie, what you said had nothing to do with anything. The fact that you thought it had anything to do with it implied your true feelings. You think the tool is a crutch for people without your skills, when in fact its just flat out more convenient even for people who are good with maps.

*Raises hand* I'll take that crutch, thank you very much, and it doesn't offend me in the least that I might need it more than someone else. The truth is, my sense of direction stinks, and I'm Ok with that. And I'd be even more Ok with that if I had a GPS. [Wink]

Now, if my sense of direction was very good, I can see why I might still want one, for the reason you mentioned. But the truth is, I'd probably get a lot more use out of it than you or Laine. *shrugs* Is that so horrible?

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think GPS is neat and we have a handheld one for the gadgetedness, and for me it is a toy. A really nifty electronic compass that tells me my coordinates.

But I have driven in cars with talking GPS, and IMO the thing is not more convienent than a map. You have to program it and then listen to it. When I use a map I look at the map ahead of time, commit to memory any significant information (what exit, where to turn etc) and then just drive.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:

Apparently my communication skills completely failed me, because I had no intention of implying any such thing. My apologies for my poor expression of my intent, and let me try again:

Ali said:
quote:
My point was simply that if Person A's own unique skills, experiences, worldview, etc. gave her no reason to imagine, wish for, or need Product X, it's natural for her to be surprised by Product X -- regardless of how genuinely useful and helpful Product X might, in fact, be to Person B. None of this implies any judgment on the basis of either Person A or Person B. It's simply reflective of individual differences and human nature: we are often surprised by what is new and unexpected. So why be surprised at the surprise?

--------------------

Syllavus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in as another like Blushing Bride who digs the GPS. Fortunately for me, I have an easy-going attitude about my uncanny ability to get myself lost on the simplest routes. If I have a map in front of me, I can easily navigate, but who can drive with a map in front of them? GPS is wonderfully useful and good for us less fortunate sorts who could get lost in our own homes. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:

I'd like to see an econo-box, a hybrid, or even a front-wheel drive minivan tow a 5000 pound boat.

I believe I pointed this out in the last thread on this subject -- there is no reason why a large truck or SUV could not also be a hybrid. GM makes a hybrid city bus. So yes, a hybrid could potentially tow a 5000 boat.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
quote:

I'd like to see an econo-box, a hybrid, or even a front-wheel drive minivan tow a 5000 pound boat.

I believe I pointed this out in the last thread on this subject -- there is no reason why a large truck or SUV could not also be a hybrid. GM makes a hybrid city bus. So yes, a hybrid could potentially tow a 5000 boat.
That may be true, but it does not address the fact that many people already own non-hybrid vehicles. To buy a new vehicle, with the added premium of it being a hybrid, does not make good sense if you already have a perfectly working car or truck or SUV, or whatever fulfills your needs *and* wants.

Let's be clear about that - it is, after all, what people want. Henry Ford made cars in any colour you want, as long as you wanted black. Some people, obviously, preferred other colours. The demand for choice - even of illogical choices like colour - will determine what happens in the marketplace. Humans are not logical creatures. They never will be. I can explain this at length for those who will listen, but what we want is never guaranteed to be the "right" or "best" thing.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
what we want is never guaranteed to be the "right" or "best" thing.

Depends on who you're talking to. I've had people tell me it's "best" to own a hybrid or sedan, that it's not "right" to own an SUV.
What's "right" or "best" for one is invariably not "right" or "best" for others.

Which kinda was the basis for the first topic of "Products that make you go WTF?" [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

I think that is what Mike is saying. What you want is what you want. Maybe what you already have. Maybe a Ferrari. What would be "right" and "best" would be for you to get the most fuel efficient car that meets your needs.

--------------------

What is .02 worth?

Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd like to see an econo-box, a hybrid, or even a front-wheel drive minivan tow a 5000 pound boat.[/QB]

The Jeep Liberty CRD (Common Rail Diesel) has a 5,000 lbs towing capacity and has better fuel efficiency then a Ford Escape Hybrid, according to Popular Mechanics.

The GMC Sierra Hybrid tows 5,500 lbs, and the Sierra is also available in a Flex-Fuel configuration that can burn Ethanol or Gasoline.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
I'm all for reducing fuel usage, but there has to be a balance. As I have posted before, the best way to get people out of their cars would be an affordable, reliable and convenient public transport alternative. Not pricing people out of their cars.

I defer to the movie Singles for this statement.

Our hero believes in the great idea that is public transportation. He works at a firm that has him designing the perfect mode of transporation for the city he lives in in order to cut down on traffic. He builds a model of his design and presents it to the city planners in charge of approving his idea and making his gorgeous model train a reality.

He is swiftly flattened as his idea is denied. Why? To quote the city planner: "People like their cars."

No matter how good public transportation may become, people will always drive their own vehicles because they *love* their cars. They name them. They will stop eating to make sure their car runs. They will cut back on other expenditures so they can feed their cars and use them. People spend horrendous hours in traffic in their cars and if you give them a cheaper, safer, quicker way to get from point A to point B, many will still drive their cars because they *like* their cars.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The talking GPS things bug me, but only because I've had horrible luck with them. We rented a car in Boston with the NeverLost system. We dubbed it the EverLost, and it clearly wanted us dead. It kept politely informing us we needed to turn left off a bridge or turn right while inside the Big Dig. Not wanting to drown or smash into the tunnel wall, we disobeyed. Then it would recalculate our route and we'd start again from the other side of the water/Dig. We went in circles all weekend with that thing's directions.
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Paper maps dont show you where recent construction is occuring either. Mapping programs are getting better all the time, as more people use them, they get kept up to date faster. If skipping one turn throws the whole system for a loop thats just bad programming, but its not something I've experienced, nor is it in any way intrinsic to the tool.
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
What would be "right" and "best" would be for you to get the most fuel efficient car that meets your needs.

Right. A mid-sized SUV, kept tuned up and with the proper amount of air in the tires. In other words, the Jeep Grand Cherokee that I already own.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages