snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » It's my money, let me spend it the way I choose! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: It's my money, let me spend it the way I choose!
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 304 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I realized that I was starting to get irritated in the SLC thread about "Products that make you go..."

First let me say that I totally understand having an environmental beef against certain products. I appreciate that. That's cool. That is not what I have an issue with.

What I do have an issue with is when it seems like people want to criticize someone for spending money in a way that conflicts with how they would personally spend it. There were criticisms of GPS, SUVs, etc.

If we can avoid the environmental reasons in this thread I'd appreciate it. Not because they aren't valid. They absolutely are. I'd like to avoid them, though, because that isn't my rant. I can get that reason. What I cannot understand is, if your reason is not for environmental reasons, why do you (general you) care how someone spends their money? On a vehicle, on a piece of electronic equipment...why do you care?

You think a GPS is a stupid waste of time/money since you can do the same thing reading a map or using the sun as your guide? Fine. But don't begrudge someone else who might not be so great at reading maps. Or maybe someone else just finds the GPS easier. Hell, maybe they just think it's cool. Why is that a problem? Why does it matter? Does it make them less of a person because they chose to spend money that they earned on something that you wouldn't choose to purchase? It sure shouldn't. It's their money!

Same with the SUV. If you have a big family, or are starting a big family, or you spend a lot of time camping or hauling things, or whatever. If you're going to get use out of an SUV and you'd need a large vehicle anyway, then why does it matter what you buy? I don't see nearly as many people bitching about mini-vans. They're gigantic gas guzzlers too. So it can't just be environmental.

I don't give a shit what the SUV was originally invented for. Other people like them. Other people, the ones who aren't going off-road, are using them. It's their frigging money, let them spend it as they wish!

I'm tired of seeing people (and I'm talking in general here, I actually don't see much of it here..I'm talking real life) who complain about other people buying things for status reasons. How does you know that's what they're doing? Unless they say "I bought this cuz it looks like the best and I want to look like I have the best." then you just don't know. Don't assume someone bought an Evian for status rather than because they prefer the taste and the way the bottle is designed? (I won't buy Evian 9 times out of 10. But for a while my 7-Eleven carried a really neat Evian bottle with a sports lid that flipped open rather than twisted open. The way water flowed through the top was way better than most sports bottles, so I loved it. I bought it because I liked it, not because of status. If Deer Park or some generic started doing the same thing I'd buy their brand instead!)

I'm just saying...it's someone else's money that they earned. Most of us live in a capitalist country. Those who don't like it are free to lobby for change or give that as a reason for disliking the way someone spends and I can accept that. I won't agree with it, but I can accept it. (Rhiandmoi, for example..I don't mean to single you out, but I'm fairly certain you've said before that you prefer a more communist approach. Is that correct? Anyway, I could understand why you would have a problem with the way people spend. But that's only because you have said before that you'd prefer to live in a communist society.)

Ok, I feel better now. I'm hoping this won't turn nasty, as it isn't a personally motivated thread. But I understand people will disagree. I only ask that you try to be polite when you tell me I'm full of shit. [Wink]

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarissimus
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissimus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's my money, let me spend it the way I choose!
Ha ha, trying telling that to the IRS!
Posts: 13 | From: Jackson, MO | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, this is also a democracy, and damn right I and others will say how we think you *should* spend your money. In the end, of course, you still get to decide what to do with it, but you seem to want no consequences for your spending habits and that's just plain unrealistic. There are consequences to every action you take.

Also, people who just buy SUVs because they like them are jerks. My opinion.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James D
Deck the Malls

Icon 205 posted      Profile for James D   E-mail James D   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So basicly, if the law of supply and demand drives up the price of a limited resource (gasoline) because of increased demand by some individuals, people shouldn't complain about it. SUV drivers certainly shouldn't - as they volentarally choose low fuel effiency and increasing the net demand on gasoline.

I could also point out that the larger amount of net polution generated effects everyone, thus violating the whole 'right to swing your fist ends at my nose' concept, but I suppose that would be an enviormental concern.

--------------------
The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - )

Posts: 244 | From: Ventura, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Slick:

Where is the line between 'I like it' & 'It fits my needs'? I have a mini-van because it fits my needs (seats 6, removeable seats, etc.). We've considered getting a new car in 3-4 years & we've discussed some form of hybrid car, minivan or SUV.
We would of course, like any kind of car we bought. But if we liked the SUV more because it fits our needs, are we jerks?

To me, that's like saying 'People who buy Apple Jacks instead of generic Apple Os because they like them are jerks'. Its a form of transportation. My use of a minivan versus an SUV or vice-versa effects you in no way whatsoever.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Kangaroo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Kangaroo   E-mail Green Kangaroo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I personally can't stand SUVs (and to a much smaller degree those who own them) because I can't see around them on the road. My view is obstructed by a big, ugly SUV and it irritates me.

Well, that and a lot of people who own them can't drive them -- You know the type that has to pull in and out 42 times just to get into a parking space.

--------------------
I don't know if I'd survive without a friend like you in my life. Brett Dennen

Posts: 637 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say agree however...

SUVs effect everyone, there's their petrol drinking ways to the way they can and do completely demolish other cars in accidents (especially if they have bull bars which should never be fitted to vehicles that aren't being used offroad) and lastly the fact they can be and are driven by people who aren't good with large cars and make life hellish for other road users.

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Um, this is also a democracy, and damn right I and others will say how we think you *should* spend your money. In the end, of course, you still get to decide what to do with it, but you seem to want no consequences for your spending habits and that's just plain unrealistic. There are consequences to every action you take.

Wow, the being nice part lasted a whole two posts. [Roll Eyes]

ETA: And why aren't you people who are bitching about SUVs also complaining about mini-vans? Or regular vans? Tell me what the difference is.

--------------------

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Raq Star:
Where is the line between 'I like it' & 'It fits my needs'? I have a mini-van because it fits my needs (seats 6, removeable seats, etc.). We've considered getting a new car in 3-4 years & we've discussed some form of hybrid car, minivan or SUV.
We would of course, like any kind of car we bought. But if we liked the SUV more because it fits our needs, are we jerks?

To me, that's like saying 'People who buy Apple Jacks instead of generic Apple Os because they like them are jerks'. Its a form of transportation.

For me, it would be people who have no real use for an SUV, but get it just as a status symbol. If you need it for storing the kids' stuff on trips, I'd have no problem with this. Same if you go on a lot of trips to the wilderness or live in an area that gets metres of snow every winter.

Not to say that everyone who buys an SUV for other reasons is a jerk, of course. But for some people, there certainly is an ego factor involved. It does remain their right to buy an SUV, but I can question their motives.

quote:
My use of a minivan versus an SUV or vice-versa effects you in no way whatsoever.
See, this isn't exactly true in some cases. For people who really use an SUV, such as in your case, that's one thing. For people who don't, there's the pollution factor that does affect everyone. But I'd say the same thing about unnecessary car and energy use, of course.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
(especially if they have bull bars which should never be fitted to vehicles that aren't being used offroad)

Hate to break it to ya, but wildlife doesn't stay off pavement. On a recent trip through Wyoming, 4 out of 5 vehicles had what I call a "swingset" wrapped around the front end. We were wishing we had one, with all of the antelope, elk, and deer that jumped out on the road. They keep the radiator from getting munched in a collision, which I would have appreciated 2000 miles from home.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with you Canuck (can I call you canuck?) but there seems to be this theme running through SUV threads that unless I'm hiking off-road every weekend or taking month-long camping trips, I don't need an SUV.
I've done long trips with a sedan and let me tell you, trying to get all the Christmas presents, pack N play, stroller, suitcases, etc. in there & still have room for 2 kids & their carseats *and* still be able to see out the back window was not easy. It was that Christmas trip that convinced us we needed to upgrade. Christmas is now much less stressful & we can pack the van so that when its unpacked, we have room for 2-3 extra people. That might save someone else having to take their car.

I just get tired of people saying because I don't do 'X' or 'Y', I don't need an SUV.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JFB
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB   E-mail JFB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ali_marea:
You think a GPS is a stupid waste of time/money since you can do the same thing reading a map or using the sun as your guide? Fine. But don't begrudge someone else who might not be so great at reading maps. Or maybe someone else just finds the GPS easier. Hell, maybe they just think it's cool. Why is that a problem?

Right on!

Wait... Who the hell has a problem with GPS?

J "What's next, cup holders?" B

Posts: 472 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Wow, the being nice part lasted a whole two posts. [Roll Eyes]

ETA: And why aren't you people who are bitching about SUVs also complaining about mini-vans? Or regular vans? Tell me what the difference is.

Canuckistan explained my issue with SUVs pretty well. Also, in reality "being nice" includes, or should include, letting someone know when they're making a mistake. IMO it's sometimes a really jerkish move to see someone do something that's going to hurt them and not say anything about it. Sometimes they already know what they're doing and they do it anyway; that's fine. Sometimes, though, people really don't know.

But you're right on one thing! I should just totally be nice to everyone when they buy cars that actually make them drive worse so that they can feel safer and eat up more gasoline! Because they aren't affecting me any! Except when they crash into me and kill me! And then I can't talk anyway so what do I care!

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Kangaroo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Kangaroo   E-mail Green Kangaroo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh... I actually think I dislike mini-vans more than SUVs. I'm annoyed by a lot of things you see [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 637 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hear hear! I was having the same feeling as you in that thread Ali. And so what if someone buys something because it's a status symbol? If they want it, they can buy it. My father-in-law owns a Mercedes SUV for the status of it. So what? He paid cash for it, no skin off your nose. No, he doesn't need it, he lives in NYC for pete's sake but he wanted it and he bought it.

I fully admit that we bought our hand held GPS because it was cool. I liked it, I wanted it, I bought it. So what? The fact that it happened to come in handy (and I really was thankful we had it on vacation and yes I had a map) has no bearing on the fact that I got it because I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. I can afford it, I'm not hurting anyone by having it, why shouldn't I get it?

I have lots of gadgets I don't need. Right now I'm typing this on a computer I didn't need, viewing it on a flat panel monitor I didn't need and listening to satelitte radio. None of those things were necessities but I wanted them, could afford them, and bought them. So what.

Gibbie

eta: What's wrong with minvans? Let me tell you it's been the best thing we ever bought. I didn't think we needed one until we had it. I can haul seven people around (and have had multiple times I needed to do stuff). I can take out seats and haul just about anything I need to. We've taken two cross country driving vacations in it and it is far more comfortable than my car. I fought the idea of having one now I cna't imagine not.

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What are you talking about, Johnny? What does having an SUV have to do with the way someone drives? And how exactly does my driving an SUV hurt me?

You do realize, btw, that there's a difference between saying "I disagree with what you're doing and here's how you can be hurting yourself." and "You're a jerk because you buy an SUV."?

Oh, and I'm taking none of this personally, btw. I'm not offended, I don't have issues with what you said in a personal manner.

I have a tiny Jeep Liberty. We have a baby. We go camping. We take lots of trips because we have family all over the place. I get full use out of my SUV. I just don't get why it matters if someone who can afford it has one. It's their money. Let them spend it on what they want.

Eventually we'll probably get a Grand Cherokee, but not until we have another kid. No point in getting one now. What we have now is sufficient. (mostly...I miss the extra storage space in a Cherokee. As it is now, we frequently have to decide between taking a stroller and buying anything in a box. [Roll Eyes] )

Green Kangaroo, people who buy regular cars or minivans do the exact same stuff you're talking about. I've seen plenty of cars parked at bizarre angles because people around here can't drive. I wouldn't limit that to SUV drivers.

Edited: Because Green Kangaroo got back to me as I was posting. *grin* And also to say Gibbie, I heart you. [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gibbie -

Your gratuitous use of electricity that is most likely generated by means that contribute to global warming is my business. Knock it off, you electricity whore. Oh, wait... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Kangaroo
The First USA Noel

quote:
Green Kangaroo, people who buy regular cars or minivans do the exact same stuff you're talking about. I've seen plenty of cars parked at bizarre angles because people around here can't drive. I wouldn't limit that to SUV drivers.

I don't limit it to SUV drivers -- See above.

ETA: Beat ya [Wink]

--------------------

ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

There should be at least a one minute warning on posts. I was just editing my post to say that I'd posted before I saw your post further up, Green Kangaroo. And then you posted again.

Damn time limitations! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Canuckistan

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Raq Star:
I agree with you Canuck (can I call you canuck?)

Of course you can. You can call me anything you like. Except Shirley. Don't call me Shirley. [Wink]

quote:
but there seems to be this theme running through SUV threads that unless I'm hiking off-road every weekend or taking month-long camping trips, I don't need an SUV.
I've done long trips with a sedan and let me tell you, trying to get all the Christmas presents, pack N play, stroller, suitcases, etc. in there & still have room for 2 kids & their carseats *and* still be able to see out the back window was not easy. It was that Christmas trip that convinced us we needed to upgrade. Christmas is now much less stressful & we can pack the van so that when its unpacked, we have room for 2-3 extra people. That might save someone else having to take their car.

What swayed me on SUVs was when my sister got one after her son was born. She was also living in a snow-belt region. Between the weather and the kid's toys/stroller/diapers/clothes/other stuff, it's a wonder they don't need an 18-wheeler for their travels.

But she researched which one released the fewest emissions, and bought that one. So I have no issues with what she did. She didn't buy it as a way of saying, "I have more money than y'all!" And that, I do have a problem with. (Once again, anyone's right to buy anything for that purpose; of course, I don't have to like the motives, though.)

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
However the vast majority of time I assume you're in california. Bull bars are supposed to protect for people who use the car most of the time in areas at high risk to hitting large wildlife.

Bull bars are more a money saving device to lessen the need for repairs. They won't stop someone swerving to avoid an animal and if the impact causes you to lose control bad enough to have a major accident then you really shouldn't have been travelling so fast on that road. I'm not saying someone who's constantly on high risk roads shouldn't have them mind.

When other vehicles are involved, they're instruments that can cause large amounts of potentially fatal damage from what should be minor collisions.

Yes you can remove them if you go out of a high risk area and I respect people who do but the fact is that most people who own vehicles with them don't and hundreds of people have died because of them.

In 2004 they caused 3 extra deaths a year (http://www.euromove.org.uk/goodnews/bullbars) in the UK. Given the increased percentage of cars that are SUVs currently in the US and the larger population, The number of deaths is probably much much greater.

*edit*

this was in reply to roadies post, I'm a slow typer

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
I'm not saying someone who's constantly on high risk roads shouldn't have them mind.

Um... but that is exactly what you said, to which I was responding.
quote:
(especially if they have bull bars which should never be fitted to vehicles that aren't being used offroad)
(emphasis mine)

You didn't say "unless they are constantly on high-risk roads" - you said "never".

--------------------

snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't see nearly as many people bitching about mini-vans. They're gigantic gas guzzlers too. So it can't just be environmental.

No.

My minivan gets about 22 on the highway and 19 in town, - not fabulous - but twice as much as my friends' SUV's getting 11.

Smaller engine, lighter, suspension is a car, not a truck, type. SUV's and minivans are not the same vehicle at all. Minivans are basically just a taller station wagon, in particular the Caravan types.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh, I hate them all. I hate vans and mini-vans that pull out next to me, blocking my view of the road. I dislike the SUV in town, never being used for anything but driving to the nearest big city mall. I also hate the great big jacked up pick-up trucks driven by teenaged boys who drive up and down the street all night during the summer in a Dantesque soundtrack from Hell.

But I never said it wasn't the owners right to buy them.

Morning
who's car was once hit by a Ford F150 Extended Cab, in a city.

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

What's funny is that I never said anything about the owner's right to buy them either. In fact, this is rather silly because outside of Arianna Huffington - who I am pretty sure does not post here - nobody is talking seriously about abrogating anybody's rights to own an SUV. What I am saying is, if you buy one I will make fun of you. That's *my* right. Stop whining about it.

When you buy stupid things, people are going to make fun of you for buying stupid things. This is the way a democratic capitalist society works.

--------------------

Canuckistan

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When you buy stupid things, people are going to make fun of you for buying stupid things. This is the way a democratic capitalist society works.

[lol]

I have to admit, I like this description of Western society!

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What's funny is that I never said anything about the owner's right to buy them either. In fact, this is rather silly because outside of Arianna Huffington - who I am pretty sure does not post here - nobody is talking seriously about abrogating anybody's rights to own an SUV. What I am saying is, if you buy one I will make fun of you. That's *my* right. Stop whining about it.

Yeah, I'm going to entirely agree.

Look, if you want to tool around the suburbs and drive do and from your desk job five miles away in a Hummer, it's your right. But, just because it's your right to spend your money how you see fit, doesn't mean you aren't an idiot. And I'm going to tell you so.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You know what would be stupid? Trying miserably to squeeze kids, car seats, groceries, and strollers onto a sedan because some people don't like to see big cars on the street. And you know what would make me a jerk? Driving my family on icy roads without 4 wheel drive because someone thinks I'm hurting myself by buying an SUV.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
quote:
I don't see nearly as many people bitching about mini-vans. They're gigantic gas guzzlers too. So it can't just be environmental.

No.

My minivan gets about 22 on the highway and 19 in town, - not fabulous - but twice as much as my friends' SUV's getting 11.

Your friend must drive a Giant SUV. The mid-size and smaller SUV's actually get the exact same mileage as your van.

Honda CR-V gets 21 city/26 highway
Honda Element gets 21/24
Honda Pilot gets 17/22
Toyta 4Runner gets 17/21
Toyota Rav4 gets 21/28
Ford Escape gets 20/24
Ford Freestyle gets 19/24

So far, I have yet to see people complain about the gas mileage a van gets as a reason for others not to buy a van. SUVs that get the same gas mileage (or better in some cases) though, get slammed for "poor gas mileage" that IMHO that is the same as vans, station wagons, older vehicles, and many large cars on the roads.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting choice of SUV's you picked.

According to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Ford Expedition 4WD - average user mpg 12
Chevy Suburban 2WD - average user mpg 13

I could go on and cherry pick some more but I have to get lunch on the table.

Just want to point out to you that anyone can play the selective data game, and it doesn't really buy you a lot of credibility.

All my friendS (plural) who drive SUV's are the ones telling me they get 11 or 12, I don't have a single one happy with their mileage. *shrug* So, straight from the horse's mouth. There are no minivans I know of that get 12 MPG. And there's a LOT of those huge enormous SUV's out here where I live.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

quote:
Driving my family on icy roads without 4 wheel drive because someone thinks I'm hurting myself by buying an SUV. [/QB]
Traction control and ABS largely compensate for 4WD in bad conditions, however cars other than SUVs feature 4WD. Every Subaru has it for instance.

Also, you skid at high speeds in an SUV, there is a huge risk the car will roll. Couple that with generally bad NCAP tests and SUVs are much more dangerous

Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just want to point out to you that anyone can play the selective data game, and it doesn't really buy you a lot of credibility.

Vanilla did specify she was talking about mid sized SUV's, versus the giant ones.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Interesting choice of SUV's you picked.

According to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Ford Expedition 4WD - average user mpg 12
Chevy Suburban 2WD - average user mpg 13

I could go on and cherry pick some more but I have to get lunch on the table.

I would classify those as Giant SUVs. I did state that Giant SUVs do not get the same gas mileage as mid-size and smaller SUVs - you must have missed that in my post.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Magdalene
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magdalene   E-mail Magdalene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
::raises hand::

I have an SUV.

I am a single white woman.

At the time I bought my SUV--TEN years ago, gas price was cheap and nobody was bitching at me that my car was a gas guzzler.

Seems people are only bitching now because gas is expensive.

My car gets 19 in the city, 23 on the highway.

I love the 4-wheel drive when the weather's nasty.

I love the extra space when I need to haul a ton of crap around.

The five greyhounds I hauled around the state last week like the room.

I bought it, I paid for it, I like it.

I don't bitch when people buy $50,000 Mercedes instead of $20,000 Fords, which would do the same job--get people from place to place. It's their money, and unless I personally know them and know they can't afford it, I keep quiet.

Oh--and in the ten years I've had it, I've only been involved in one accident. The guy rear-ended me. He failed to notice I'd come to a stop at a yield sign because traffic on the main road was so heavy I couldn't get in.

Oh wait--silly me. I'm an SUV driver, I was supposed to push my way into the traffic and to hell with their right-of-way, wasn't I? Sorry--I'll aspire to be a much ruder and nastier driver in the future. I wouldn't want to disappoint everybody's stereotype of SUV drivers.

You don't like what I drive? Feel free to buy and pay for the car of YOUR choice and give it to me as a gift. I need something where several greyhounds can fit in comfortably, and has the ability to get through the nasty weather the foothills of Colorado can be subject to.

Magdalene

--------------------
"Don't mess with me. I dance with swords."

Posts: 1656 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like SUV's because I don't like driving large vehicles as much as smaller ones with tighter handling. However, I can easily see how they can be useful. One 8-seater SUV with moderate gas mileage uses less gas, takes up fewer parking spaces, and contributes less to traffic congestion than two sedans (or four sports cars).

There are people terrible at driving them, but there are people terrible at driving any car. I've seen some very good SUV (and minivan) drivers and some absolutely terrible drivers of smaller, more fuel-efficient cars. The cell-phone chatting, make-up applying SUV driver is an easy stereotype to pick up once you've seen it, but I've seen the same thing in almost any other type of car too.

Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages