snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » My MIL's now ex-bosses are officially up NFBSK creek (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My MIL's now ex-bosses are officially up NFBSK creek
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dave:
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
...I can check a book tonight.

Hey! The Jewish girl said "checkbook"! [lol] [dunce]
[fish] [fish] [fish]

-Dr. "It takes one to know one" Dave

Okay, I'll give you credit for that one. [lol]

Get it? Credit? [fish]

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Dylan:
quote:
quote:
That stereotype comes from the historical position of Jews as money handlers due to many factors, including their inability to own land and the prohibition of working as money lenders by the Protestant church.

Can I just say that, although I agree with what everyone here is saying, this sentence was badly written? Just that it kind of makes Jews look as though they were the ones prohibited from working as money lenders by 'Teh Church'.

Jack 'Why am I nitpicking like this? Or have I got it wrong?' Dylan

I suspect teh Catholic Church had more to do with it, what with starting the whole thing, and all that. Although Luther was distinctly antisemitic.
I thought it was Teh Protestant Church, actually, and the prohibition was on making money through interest...I can check a book tonight.
Nah, the usury thing is as old as the Christian Church itself. You know the scene where Christ kicks out the moneylenders? Anyway, by the early medieval times people believed pretty strongly in the anti-usury bits but it's a fact of societal life that once you get big enough, some people are going to need to borrow capital in order to allow you to continue to grow. A loophole was "discovered" that Jews, since they aren't technically Christians, could lend money to Christians with interest. Jews at the time had already constructed a rather extensive trading system due to their status as the people who could move in and out of the Christian and Muslim worlds most easily and thus had money to lend. Eventually, all those stereotypes we associate with Jews cropped up, the Christians discovered the Talmud (which flew in the face of their belief that Judaism was an older religion that only existed to bear witness to the glory of Christianity), and eventually Christians learned to ignore the usury part and allowed their own to lend money.

Interestingly enough, Islam imported the prohibition against usury from the Judeo-Christian ethos and many Muslims still follow it. This creates special issues for realtors, etc. when it comes to buying houses and so on.

http://www.findaproperty.com/DisplayStory.aspx?storyid=4973&edid=00&salerent=0

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, so I won't go look it up. Thanks for the info, Johnny.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages