snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » I don't want to have to buy it on eBay (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I don't want to have to buy it on eBay
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Red Cervette:
quote:
Nor should I be made to go to ebay to overpay on something. Children force you to do things and the scalpers take advantage of this by forcing you to get these things forced on you by your children.
Children are forcing you to buy overpriced goods that are only found on eBay?

I'm thinking of a movie where all the children were blonde and could force their parents and the other people in town to do what they wanted. "Village of the Damned" maybe?

Anyway, without the hyperbolic use of "force" I can agree that sometimes parents very much want to make their children happy and may go to, what may seem to others, like ridiculous extremes to do so - but at the end of the day, they are still exercising free will.

Unless they live in that Village I guess...

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Sal and I went shopping for a bunk frame for Sal Jr on the weekend -- one of the ones that has the bed at the top and a study area underneath.

We found the ideal one and barring a lack of approval from Sal Jr (who hasn't seen it yet), it'll be the one we buy. We asked about availability and were told that the store had sold out.

Naturally, Mrs Sal and I headed straight for e-Bay as it was obviously the only alternative and found the bed we wanted but it was 4 times the price!

Oh wait, no... that didn't happen. Now I remember, we asked the store what the lead time was on them ordering more in and we were told it would be 2 weeks. As for the "forced by children" thing... wow... what kind of household is it where the parents are controlled by the children? I think in those cases there are bigger issues than overpriced toys on e-Bay.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
strange_little_girl
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strange_little_girl   E-mail strange_little_girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I shouldn't have to go to fifty different stores to find something that by all rights should be stocked in each store because it is a common item. Nor should I be made to go to ebay to overpay on something. Children force you to do things and the scalpers take advantage of this by forcing you to get these things forced on you by your children.
Last Christmas, there was a shortage of Nintendo DS consoles and Nintendogs games. My kid had her heart set on a pink console and nintendogs. I eventually found a silver console in the shops but refused to spend over the retail price for the game on Ebay. She got over the disappointment in about five seconds and bought herself the game in January.

I never understand the people who spend way over the odds for the latest must have toy. It's nice to give your kids what they want but the world isn't going to stop spinning if they dont get it till later or not at all. My nieces grandad drove 4 hours each way to get his grandkids tellytubbies at 6am from Toys-R-us when they were the latest craze. It makes him an idiot in my book, just like the people who bought Nintendogs for £100 from Ebay.

I would blame the manufacturer who underestimates the demand for their products before I blame the person who resells on Ebay.

I've got tickets to see Mcfly in October. On Ebay right now they are selling around face value but if someone else wants them enough to spend a fortune on them I'd sell them with no problems.

--------------------
I tried to get in touch with my inner child, but she isn't allowed to talk
to strangers.

Posts: 674 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about antiques? Is it "immoral" to sell them for more than their original price? Say I had an authentic georgian table*, which I could sell for £2000, and good quality replicas of that table sell for £300. Surely there is nothing immoral about selling that table, on ebay or otherwise, and getting £2000 for it? I got a price I am happy with for a table I dont want, and the buyer got a table he wanted for a price he was willing to pay (its an auction, dont bid more than you are willing to pay).

And if thats fine, then what about an antique collectable? Say for the sake of arguement Action Comics #1 (first appearance of superman). I dont think anyone here would seriously suggest that it would be "immoral" to sell action comics #1 for anything over its cover price of 10c (US), As it currently goes for somewhere in the region of $180,000... Now, no-one is FORCED to pay that for it, its the price the market has pushed it to, and I dont see a problem with that.

Now, if ANTIQUE collectables are fine, where is the line for MODERN collectables, for example Cars toys? How long should one wait before selling on something still available in the shops to avoid being thought of as immoral? Considering that they will continue producing them (supplying) as long as people want them (demand), do I have to wait until no-one wants them before trying to sell mine? Once I have bought something, it is legally (and, presumably, morally) mine. If I want to sell my property on ebay, sell it to a friend, give it as a gift, or soak it in thousand island dressing and eat it, surely that is up to me, and really none of your business? If you dont like it, then dont bid on it.

I am an occasional ebayer, buying things I want when I have money, selling stuff I dont want when I have no money, and I am curious to the "moral" angle on reselling trading cards. After all, I only paid £2.50 for a pack of 12, if I happen to get a chase card in there, and sell it on ebay for £20 am I a morally bankrupt person, or am I merely taking advantage of the fact that people want things I have?

Hell, for a while there I was regularly selling £5 notes for £15 or more (long story, Americans were going nuts for the limited editon scottish jack niklaus fiver). If there is an example of blatent ebay profiteering there it is, I was putting aside fivers I was given in my retail job, "buying" them out the till at cost price and selling them on ebay. I didnt dictate the 200% markup, the buyers did, all I did was provide a product that they were obviously desperate for. Whats the moral stance on that?

I remember when the PS2 was released, and they were going for CRAZY money on ebay as they had been ridiculously underproduced. Did I complain about it and pay a 300% mark-up? Nope, I just waited until after christmas and bought it from a shop. No-one "forced" or "made" me buy it.

*picked at random. I know nothing about antiques...

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Toys have a sort of weird ground between 'plaything' and 'collectable' for a lot of people these days, I think. But only finite amounts will be produced, and they won't stay in stores forever even without anyone hypothetically buying up the stock to sell elsewhere.

Even with toys that by and large have stayed the same since creation like the Slinky, the packaging will assuredly change. I don't doubt that there are Slinky collectors out there somewhere and that they would be willing to pay more than the store price for a modern Slinky for an older Slinky in its' original box. The Slinky is pretty much the same, but the box is different, and in good condition it could be construed as rarer and therefore more valuable- but only to someone else who likes Slinky toys in old packaging and is willing to pay for it. As several have already said, the buyer market tends to make the price.

I think the line between paying store price and paying more is crossed not when the store stock is depleted, but when the buyer becomes willing to pay more. If the store has a gadget in stock, but (general) you prefer to order it online so that you don't have to drive to the mall and put up with all the people during the shopping season, you will probably pay more to order it online through a catalog. Even if the item price is the same, you will pay for shipping on top of it and thus pay more.

If you feel that you HAVE to have the Playstation 3 and are willing to pay $600 for it, then it has that value to you. It doesn't have that value to me simply because it has no games yet that I've heard of or am interested in. I wouldn't pay you $300, let alone $600, because it's of no use to me. If I want an electronic doorstop, I have a Sega Dreamcast to use.

The guy down the street from me might pay you $1000, however. He might be willing to pay so much because there's one game it has that he's just gotta play, or because he's well-off and likes to brag about having the latest stuff, or because he's convinced the system will tank and the consoles will eventually become valuable beyond his initial investment. In that last case, would he be immoral for buying from you for beyond what you paid, but less than what he thinks it will one day be worth?

I think a lot of buyer demand is the perceived need to have something immediately, regardless of whether there will be more later at a lower price. It seems a bit selfish to me. After all, you're (general you) buying the presumably rare item to prevent someone else from having it. If you're willing to pay a whole lot more, doesn't that make you a bit greedy or materialistic? I think the worst you could honestly accuse ebay "scalpers" of is enabling someone else's materialism or greed. They're not making anyone pay a certain price, they're just offering to sell it for a certain price or more. They're not coming to your home and putting a gun to your head demanding your money, after all.

--------------------
"But what of the golden spider-duck and the squat crimson pig?"

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wish you would stop dragging pirates into all this..... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tootiredtocare
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootiredtocare     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the thing in Japan a lot of stores will not sell more then one of a particular in demand item per customer. If someone wants to buy another they have to go to another store.

This cuts scalping down drastically and at auctions etc such items only go for twice what they do retail.

If this was America such items would be selling five or even more times the retail price.

More people get the item they want and don't pay over retail while those who must have it don't get have to sell a kidney to buy the item at an inflated price.

Also a lot of online stores don't charge shipping for the item or it's so minor you basically wind up paying more at a retail store due to sales tax.

Like I said prior if scalpers had any ethics they would be doing what the stores do six months to a year before the toy hits the market which is order the stuff from the manufactorer so the manufactorer produces more of the item. This gets the ebayer seller far more profit then just going to the store buying the entire shelf of the product then reselling online for inflated prices. It's called wholesaling.

Trading cards and antiques are items no longer being produced and have a limited market that researchs the prices. Toy items for Christmass on the other hand should not be subjected to the same market pressures nor should most customer goods.

Posts: 320 | From: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Quantities are often limited by retailers. Check your local grocery store.

You still seem to be clinging to this notion that you have the right to buy something.

Disabuse yourself of that notion.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AnglRdr and Para very well put.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tootiredtocare:
Here is the thing in Japan a lot of stores will not sell more then one of a particular in demand item per customer. If someone wants to buy another they have to go to another store.

This cuts scalping down drastically and at auctions etc such items only go for twice what they do retail.

If this was America such items would be selling five or even more times the retail price.

Actually, here in America, many stores also have that policy - one item per customer. And yet, many people are able to buy more than one of the item because their entire family and their friends are in line with them. Those people who bring back-up buyers are able to buy more than one and still re-sell them at higher prices. Why do you think that it is any different in another
capitalist society?

quote:
More people get the item they want and don't pay over retail while those who must have it don't get have to sell a kidney to buy the item at an inflated price.

No they don't. See above.

quote:
Also a lot of online stores don't charge shipping for the item or it's so minor you basically wind up paying more at a retail store due to sales tax.

Like I said prior if scalpers had any ethics they would be doing what the stores do six months to a year before the toy hits the market which is order the stuff from the manufactorer so the manufactorer produces more of the item. This gets the ebayer seller far more profit then just going to the store buying the entire shelf of the product then reselling online for inflated prices. It's called wholesaling.

If it is soooo easy, why don't you do this then and stop complaining about people that are trying to make a living that don't?

quote:
Trading cards and antiques are items no longer being produced and have a limited market that researchs the prices. Toy items for Christmass on the other hand should not be subjected to the same market pressures nor should most customer goods.
Why not? Why should the basic principles of supply and demand stop for certain items? And who gets to choose which items the laws of economics no longer apply to?
Perhaps you missed the great social experiment that was Russia - the laws of supply and demand were not followed and many people ended up stading in hours long lines for a chance to buy food - food that only lasted/fed a family for that day.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My problem with the whole re-sell the Cars merchandise on ebay is that it is an item that is geared toward children. Of course, it's not a necessity and the kids don't need to have it as soon as it is released. But they should have the option to purchase it at a price close to the suggested retail price at their local bricks & mortar store. If i-pods weren't available in the stores and only at inflated prices on ebay, there would be a lot more people upset about it. Everyone should have the option to pay a close to suggested price, and everyone should want to have that option, unless they have money to burn.

Regarding the collectible angle, I don't object to selling something as a collectible, or making your money that way, if you are not selling multiples of that item. It is still scalping if you are selling 10 of the same item for triple the suggested price, whether the item is being marketed as a toy or a collectible.

And yes, I know, you don't have to buy, you don't have to bid. But the option to purchase elsewhere should be available.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hang in there, smackmac! Like all other collectables and sought-after toys, the demand will go down. And like all Disney movie toys, they'll be re-released for the dvd before Christmas, and in greater quantities.

--------------------
"But what of the golden spider-duck and the squat crimson pig?"

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Para:
Hang in there, smackmac! Like all other collectables and sought-after toys, the demand will go down. And like all Disney movie toys, they'll be re-released for the dvd before Christmas, and in greater quantities.

That's what I'm hoping for! Thanks for all your help!

--------------------

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the major difference between right and wrong here is intent.
If you bought a whole shipment of Cars toys from a store for your own personal use and with no intent of making a profit then for some reason changed your mind and decided to sell them on Ebay rather than return them then that would be fine. A little odd, but fine. However, if you bought them looking to make a profit then that would be wrong. Even if you bought them for your own use then heard that they were selling for a lot on Ebay and decided to sell them, that would be ok because the plan to sell only came after you bought them.
Basically, it comes down to what you planned on doing with them when you bought them that determines whether or not you're doing something wrong. And since only you know what you're thinking, it really isn't possible to know why anyone is selling something (but you know who you are). And if you can live with doing something sleazy, then more power to you. Maybe you should go to all the hardware stores this winter and buy all the snow shovels in your area to resell at a profit. It is a free market after all.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smackmac:
If i-pods weren't available in the stores and only at inflated prices on ebay, there would be a lot more people upset about it. Everyone should have the option to pay a close to suggested price, and everyone should want to have that option, unless they have money to burn.

But then, I consider the amount that i-pods retail for to be way too much, and that's going on the prices they are in the shops. In actual fact it is sometimes possible to buy them for less than retail on ebay. Swings and roundabouts. The option I went for was a 1GB MP4 player I found on an online store for under £50 including delivery. If people are willing to fork out double what I paid for my lovely little machine to buy an i-pod nano for the sake of the label that's equally up to them.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those of you who support reselling toys, etc. at greatly inflated prices would feel a lot differently if we were talking about milk or bread.

Some of you say, "Your child doesn't need that toy; you can wait until the price goes down to buy it," etc. Well, you don't need store-bought milk; you can buy a cow or goat if you don't like the reseller's price. You don't need store-bought bread; you can buy the ingredients and make your own if you don't like the reseller's price.

And before you tell me what an extreme comparison this is, tell me how this differs from your other supportive posts about the laws of supply and demand.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in a city that disallows the keeping of farm animals.

Yes, I do need to buy store-bought milk.

But you could make your child's toys, couldn't you?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NancyFancyPants:
Those of you who support reselling toys, etc. at greatly inflated prices would feel a lot differently if we were talking about milk or bread.

Some of you say, "Your child doesn't need that toy; you can wait until the price goes down to buy it," etc. Well, you don't need store-bought milk; you can buy a cow or goat if you don't like the reseller's price. You don't need store-bought bread; you can buy the ingredients and make your own if you don't like the reseller's price.

And before you tell me what an extreme comparison this is, tell me how this differs from your other supportive posts about the laws of supply and demand.

In your comparison, you still get the milk and bread. So it isn't really a comparison at all.

I think the problem is that do children really need store bought toys to survive? Will they actually die if they don't get the toy of the week? Last I checked, they do not. If they do not eat however, they will eventually die of starvation. The comparison doesn't work.

Again I ask: In your perfect world, who gets to choose which items the laws of economics no longer apply to? Why should toys get preferential treatment over say underwater basket-weaving instructional audio tapes? Which toys - Barbie, Matchbox, generic cootie games that are missing the red cootie? Why toys for that matter?

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Roffle. And I am sure people would feel differently if instead of chopping up cows to make sirloin steak we chopped up young Methodist children. You know what, though? We don't make steak out of Christians, and people don't go into supermarkets and buy up all quantities of milk and force you to buy it online. And believe me, I have tried. One problem with keeping milk all for yourself is that it spoils so you really have to drink it. After 3 weeks of forcing myself to drink 4 gallons of whole milk a day, I decided I didn't want to make money on the E-Bay that badly. Admittedly, it often took that much to wash the taste of Jesus-boy steak out of my mouth. Not half as tasty as you'd think it would be.

Seriously though, it's an absurd comparison. Toys are not milk. Your child won't grow up shorter than average and possibly deformed through lack of movie-tie-ins. I know you're trying to make people see your side of things, but making comparisons like this strips away any credibility you might have had. Consider this: perhaps we do see your side of things but disagree.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You are asking us to consider a comparison between luxury vs necessity items. The two are a distinctly different type of product and I have absolutely no issue with applying one set of rules to one and another set of rules to the other.

Even then, I don't know that I'd class milk or bread as "must have" either. I've happily survived years without either item (although I'm currently indulging in both).

Have you heard about the price of bananas in Australia? Due to a cyclone, one of the primary banana producing areas in Australia was flattened and will take years to recover. As a result, the price of bananas has gone from around $3~$4/kg to around $15/kg. Now, I can't grow my own bananas... I live in the wrong sort of climate. Guess what? $15/kg is more than I am willing to pay... so I don't buy them.

I'm not stomping around demanding anyone cater to my desire to buy bananas at an affordable price. I make do without them. If I wanted to get angry at someone, I'd be getting angry at the suckers who are willing to pay the excessively inflated price for a bunch of bananas. They are the people encouraging the growers & suppliers to keep the prices so high.

--------------------

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
quote:

You are asking us to consider a comparison between luxury vs necessity items. The two are a distinctly different type of product and I have absolutely no issue with applying one set of rules to one and another set of rules to the other.

Even then, I don't know that I'd class milk or bread as "must have" either. I've happily survived years without either item (although I'm currently indulging in both).

Have you heard about the price of bananas in Australia? Due to a cyclone, one of the primary banana producing areas in Australia was flattened and will take years to recover. As a result, the price of bananas has gone from around $3~$4/kg to around $15/kg. Now, I can't grow my own bananas... I live in the wrong sort of climate. Guess what? $15/kg is more than I am willing to pay... so I don't buy them.

I'm not stomping around demanding anyone cater to my desire to buy bananas at an affordable price. I make do without them. If I wanted to get angry at someone, I'd be getting angry at the suckers who are willing to pay the excessively inflated price for a bunch of bananas. They are the people encouraging the growers & suppliers to keep the prices so high.

That sucks but are there people who don't eat bananas but wait at all the stores where bananas are sold to buy them all before anyone else can then turn around and sell them for $20-$40/kg? That's what the Ebay scalpers do and that's what I have a problem with.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Hubert Cumberdale:
That sucks but are there people who don't eat bananas but wait at all the stores where bananas are sold to buy them all before anyone else can then turn around and sell them for $20-$40/kg? That's what the Ebay scalpers do and that's what I have a problem with.

I am not much of an Ebayer (I don't do delayed gratification), but the few times I've looked at it, I have never seen an item for sale there that was available at a brick and mortar store for any appreciable difference in price.

--------------------

Salamander

quote:

And...

I still wouldn't buy them.

I don't see your point. What is forcing you to buy them for these inflated rates? The quickest way to fix them is to simply not buy... then these supremely evil e-Bay scalpers are stuck with a bunch of bananas that are slowly going rotten.

Even with toys that don't have a "best by" date, their popularity comes and goes... don't want to pay $15 for a $3 toy? Then don't. The evil e-Bayer will be stuck with a lot of cash tied up in stock they can't sell.

--------------------

Noemi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
quote:

I am not much of an Ebayer (I don't do delayed gratification), but the few times I've looked at it, I have never seen an item for sale there that was available at a brick and mortar store for any appreciable difference in price.
I can say that I have seen some things that were overpriced but you can run into similarly overpriced items at stores as well. The key is doing your research, knowing what you are looking for and comparison shopping. It's really no different than shopping elsewhere on the internet or in the real world.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Truthfully, up until this whole Cars debacle, I never saw an item on ebay that I hadn't seen in a store or on a website for a comparable price. But in the case of these items, I could find them nowhere.

quote:
Even with toys that don't have a "best by" date, their popularity comes and goes... don't want to pay $15 for a $3 toy? Then don't. The evil e-Bayer will be stuck with a lot of cash tied up in stock they can't sell.

But only if everyone else decides not to pay the price. If you and I decide, too much, won't buy it so the price will go down, great. But if Suzie Q decides she has to have it now and pays that inflated price, and her neighbor Suzie Jones has to have it since Suzie Q does, and so on, then the "evil e-Bayer" will be that much richer. So the "evil e-Bayer" will continue to buy up stock and sell it at inflated prices and people like me will continue to whine about having to buy a stupid child's toy on ebay if we want to do a good thing for our children.

Edited for clarification

--------------------

Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ya know, I have a problem with labelling successful businesspeople who use eBay as teh ebil. [Roll Eyes]

As far as wanting to do a good thing for a child, I know it's hard, but letting a child go without a toy until it's available locally is not going to cause that child's demise. Indulgence has a price on this one toy. Either teach the kid(s) patience or use eBay. It's a choice we're all 100% comfortable with at my house.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smackmac:
Truthfully, up until this whole Cars debacle, I never saw an item on ebay that I hadn't seen in a store or on a website for a comparable price. But in the case of these items, I could find them nowhere.

quote:

But only if everyone else decides not to pay the price. If you and I decide, too much, won't buy it so the price will go down, great. But if Suzie Q decides she has to have it now and pays that inflated price, and her neighbor Suzie Jones has to have it since Suzie Q does, and so on, then the "evil e-Bayer" will be that much richer. So the "evil e-Bayer" will continue to buy up stock and sell it at inflated prices and people like me will continue to whine about having to buy a stupid child's toy on ebay if we want to do a good thing for our children.

Edited for clarification

But the part you seem to forget is that you have no idea where those ebayers are sourcing their products. Is there an ebayer in your town selling the equivelent to every store's stock?

It's impossible to tell, but I would wager that the greater part of the merchandise in your area goes to consumers just like you with a smaller part going to speculators.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When my kid went to Disney this summer I was miffed that he could buy the trailer and not the cars (and that was at Walt Disney World FL). It seemed rather odd to me. A Disney Store employee (locally) did suggest e-bay. However when we asked at Wal-Mart we were told when the shipments would arrive.

Ok, we had to pay retail (no sales on the stinking things) but we didn't pay e-bay prices either. The red car was the hardest to get but we got the complete collection within two weeks of his return without going through e-bay.

The way I see it is e-bay is the best thing for the company. Its "gaurnteed" ("scalper") sales, plus actual sells. And, I guess its good for the consumer... if you must have it now, some offer "buy it now" and you can have next day delivery (if you're willing to spend the extra coin). If you are willing to wait a few days you buy from the shops and the scalpers are out the funds, the company has your funds and the e-bayers funds, you have the product, and the e-bay "genius" has a lot of toy cars.

Sure it can be annoying but it is completely market driven. E-Bayers are counting on the "want it now" philosophy. The companies are just looking to move as much product as possible. Consumers are the ones that decides who wins in the end.

I personally want my kid to know how the world works. Just today I dragged the kid out of a gas station store. He said he wanted a treat (normally a candy bar) but some cheap ($7) toy caught his eye. It was the kind of thing one would find at a dollar store. We left without treat nor toy. Later he was taken to Wal-Mart (because, while he mildly complained, he didn't fight me over the gas station thingy) and got two nicer toys (on clearance) for $5. He's only seven but he understands that waiting a little can sometimes get him more. He seems to like the concept... although he still wants the exta $2 (he ain't getting them).... never teach a kid math.

I almost think we are lucky to live in a poor neighbourhood. He realizes that not everyone gets everything they want. He's actually very fortunate to have as much as he does. But even if he didn't I'd still hope that he'd understand that stuff isn't what life is about. I think experiences are more important than things. If he can't go somewhere without wanting every trinket, then he can't go places. I know I get him a lot of trinkets but I don't think it should be manditory. The boy is often really good about not wanting much but gas stations do him in. I don't know why but I will put a stop to it. Sometimes you need to "Just Say No" to your child.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Good grief... I agree with Chimera.

--------------------

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
tootiredtocare said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=27963 Guess you didn't recall this fiasco in which Best Buy fired a lot of workers.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=28056

I may be missing something but your links don't say what you say they do. I can't see any mention in either story of Best Buy firing workers, but more importantly they have bugger-all to do with eBay scalping. The complaint is that Best Buy extensively advertised XBox360s at $399, when they had hardly (or no) any straight units at that price and most of their stock was tied into package deals with peripherals at up to $800. It's not even about a shortage of the units themselves.

quote:
Here's the kicker though. KOIN in Portland says they have a real live Best Buy deep throat, pseudonymed "Chris," who said his higher-ups told him not to sell ANY Xbox 360s that weren't bundled with at least a couple hundred dollars of peripherals. Chris also said his local management admitted that what they were doing was wrong. Wrong, but gainful, I'd say. One leads to the other.
Other links I looked at were about ticket scalping, and one of them was even about a guy who drugged and raped a woman using things he bought on eBay:

quote:
On Halloween, he allegedly impersonated a firefighter to gain entry to a former co-worker's apartment. Inside, he's alleged to have used chloroform to render the woman unconscious. What followed was a series of sexual attacks that lasted more than 12 hours.

Braunstein, now a fugitive, got everything he needed to act out this sicko scenario on eBay because, after all, "Whatever it is, you can get it here."

Outrageous!

I didn't look at the rest of the links, so perhaps those do actually make your point about eBay scalpers buying up retail stock from shops.

quote:
Chloe said:
Perhaps someone poorer than me with exactly the same size rear ...

And you have to admit that's unlikely.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
tootiredtocare said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=27963 Guess you didn't recall this fiasco in which Best Buy fired a lot of workers.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=28056

I may be missing something but your links don't say what you say they do. I can't see any mention in either story of Best Buy firing workers, but more importantly they have bugger-all to do with eBay scalping. The complaint is that Best Buy extensively advertised XBox360s at $399, when they had hardly (or no) any straight units at that price and most of their stock was tied into package deals with peripherals at up to $800. It's not even about a shortage of the units themselves.
Googling a handful of terms -- ebay best buy inquirer -- turns up the top article listed... the link description I got was:
quote:
Best Buy's Sunday ad offered the Xbox 360 for $299 dollars, but a sign was ... but that doesn't stop retailers and Ebay skulks from turning a profit
I can only guess that the article was linked due to an incomplete understanding based on the Google short? It's a longshot theory so I'm likely to be wrong though.

Definitely nothing about people being fired or store staff stealing the product to sell on e-Bay though.

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
Chloe said:
Perhaps someone poorer than me with exactly the same size rear ...

And you have to admit that's unlikely.
[Eek!] Boy are you gonna get it now!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

I don't want you all to get the idea that I buy my kids whatever they want whenever they want regardless of price. My boys very rarely ask for things and they know that they may or may not get what they ask for. They don't walk into a store expecting to walk out with a toy. They know how the world works, not like my nieces, who never walk out of a store without at least a $10 toy/CD/whatever purchased by their mother.

They asked for these cars, so I knew they were important to them. I was also expecting good report cards from both of them, so that was an added bonus. I could not find the cars at any of my local stores and this was before the movie even came out. And I mean no stores. Not Target, not Wal-mart, not K-mart, not Toys R Us, not the local grocery stores that sell toys. No store in my general vicinity had them. Ebay did, at prices well above the suggested price.

It's easy to say, well don't buy them. They don't really need them. Well neither did Chimera's kid need the toys from Wal-mart. We're parents and we buy things they don't need because we love our children and we like to see them smile. That's all I wanted to do, was see my 6 year old smile when he got the Chief car. And I couldn't do that unless I bought it on ebay. Or hoped that a shipment came in and I was lucky enough to be in the store at that time so that I could get one before someone bought them all again.

--------------------

Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't there other ways to make a child smile, though, other than buying them a toy?

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love my kids, and I love to see them smile, too. However, I have never felt the need to buy them toys on eBay to prove my love to them. I know it's a cliche, but the best way to experience your child's smile is to spend time with them.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages