snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » a stop sign means STOP not kinda stop (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: a stop sign means STOP not kinda stop
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie Jay:
I always wonder about four-way stop intersections. Do you reckon a roundabout would make things flow a bit better?

American's don't know how to handle roundabouts. Believe me, I've lived in a couple places in the northeast that have them, and they're a complete disaster. One intersection in rural Massachusetts has an off-center roundabout, so that traffic coming from one of the directions just blasts through at full speed without slowing down. It had been a perfectly effective 4-way stop, but they changed it. I'm surprised no one has been killed!
They're very uncommon down here, but I ran into one recently. I say a four way stop is just easier. My dad hates roundabouts with a passion.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's to hate about roundabouts? You drive up, you look right to see if anyone's coming, you drive around and off.

It beats driving to the intersection, stopping, looking left, looking right, starting to go, emergency stopping for the git who's just appeared from the left without bothering to even slow down...

Though admittedly the famous Magic Roundabout in Swindon isn't something I ever want to come across again [Smile]

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got quite used to roundabouts when living in MA. Everyone up there is used to them (they're all over the place) and the traffic usually flows quite well in and out of them. Around here, though, they are still few and far between. So, every time they put one in, the idiots who can't quite get the hang of it seem to be drawn to it. [Roll Eyes]

Or maybe they're the same people just stuck in the roundabout all the time, doomed to continually loop, like the folk song about the "T" -- "Did he ever return, no he never returned..." [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie Jay:
I always wonder about four-way stop intersections. Do you reckon a roundabout would make things flow a bit better?

American's don't know how to handle roundabouts. Believe me, I've lived in a couple places in the northeast that have them, and they're a complete disaster. One intersection in rural Massachusetts has an off-center roundabout, so that traffic coming from one of the directions just blasts through at full speed without slowing down. It had been a perfectly effective 4-way stop, but they changed it. I'm surprised no one has been killed!
They're very uncommon down here, but I ran into one recently. I say a four way stop is just easier. My dad hates roundabouts with a passion.
I have to agree with DevilBunny. We had a three-way stop converted to a roundabout a few years ago. This spot had always been a traffic bottleneck, and I just knew this roundabout was going to cause a lot of accidents. But when they put in the roundabout, suddenly traffic flowed smoothly, and there have been very few accidents at that location. I'm now a traffic-circle convert.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone was all up in arms about the roundabout they put in here too, but, surprise, it works beautifully.

I thought I would never be able to use the thing, and wouldn't you know? I drive on it almost every day.

With the exception of that godawful horror in Swindon, they really are quite simple.

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I loathe roundabouts. No one in NJ seems to realize that you actually have to pay attention to yield signs feeding into them (although they don't pay attention to yield signs anywhere else, so this isn't entirely shocking), so they go flying out into them without looking. I have one ten minutes from my house (Somerville, for anyone who knows the area), and I hold my breath each time I have to use it.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
. I've seen cars engage in a "daisy chaining" practice where one or two cars rides a lead car's bumper through a four-way stop, [/QB]
We've seen this practice at the four way stop near our house. I cannot count the times we've almost been in crashes, accidents would be the wrong word, because some person tried to follow the person ahead of them through the stop sign. And then the offending person has the nerve to look at you like you did something wrong. The next time someone tells me, "I almost stopped." I want to take a club and start hitting them ijn the head and ask them if they would like me to almost stop or to completely stop.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I realise this may be particular to the driver's ed. class I took, but I was taught that if you arrive at a 4 way stop at the same time as someone directly opposite, you should make eye contact with the other driver and wave them on ahead of you. If you both attempt to wave on, indicate either acceptance or deferral before proceeding into the intersection. I still see this a lot when I'm driving, so maybe it's just a rural Oklahoma thing.

It takes a mere moment out of your life to do this bit of non-verbal communication, and it seems so nice and friendly. Of course, like anything else involving people behind the wheel of a vehicle, I would never suggest that all drivers will do this and that you could rely on them to do so.

--------------------
"But what of the golden spider-duck and the squat crimson pig?"

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Para:
I realise this may be particular to the driver's ed. class I took, but I was taught that if you arrive at a 4 way stop at the same time as someone directly opposite, you should make eye contact with the other driver and wave them on ahead of you. If you both attempt to wave on, indicate either acceptance or deferral before proceeding into the intersection. I still see this a lot when I'm driving, so maybe it's just a rural Oklahoma thing.

It takes a mere moment out of your life to do this bit of non-verbal communication, and it seems so nice and friendly.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Sorry, but the idea of people being "nice and friendly" behind the wheel, and the idea of eye contact being safe and non-threatening to another driver is just amusing. It does indeed depend on where you live and drive.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:
Originally posted by Para:

It takes a mere moment out of your life to do this bit of non-verbal communication, and it seems so nice and friendly.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Sorry, but the idea of people being "nice and friendly" behind the wheel, and the idea of eye contact being safe and non-threatening to another driver is just amusing. It does indeed depend on where you live and drive.

I don't mean to give you the idea that everyone out here is a fluffy-headed kids' show representation of happy friendliness behind the wheel. I've literally been run off the road back home by brazen asshats who thought that doing so would be funny. Admittedly "nice and friendly" may have been the wrong way to summarize how I feel about the policy that I was taught, which was to establish communication with the other driver instead of challenging them to a head-on drag race.

If that's really how things go in your region, I can honestly say that I feel very sorry for you and the others on your roads. It happens here sometimes, but I haven't experienced it being the norm yet. You're not making James Dean-like challenging grimaces when you make eye contact, are you? [lol]

--------------------
"But what of the golden spider-duck and the squat crimson pig?"

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages