snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Respect

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Respect
Dark Canuck
What's My Lime?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Canuck   E-mail Dark Canuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was out walking my dog today, when I saw a shiny, brand new looking scooter (similar to a moped or vespa). I was about 10 metres from it, not heading towards it or anything, and in no way altering my path to investigate the lone scooter, when a 15 or 16 year old girl shouts "Don't touch the scooter, you cocksucker!". I was naturally puzzled as to why she might say this, as I was nowhere near her scooter. I was also quite annoyed at her disrespect and name-calling, when I had done no wrong. I felt my keys in my pocket, and wondered whether or not to key the scooter, to teach her a lesson. Being the kind and well rounded person I am, however, I respected her wishes and didn't touch the scooter in any way. However, she made no indication of whether or not my dog should touch it. Naturally, I allowed him to urinate all over said scooter.

-Dark Canuck

--------------------
MSN- darkcanuck@gmail.com
AIM- dark-canuck@mac.com

Posts: 132 | From: Alberta | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lemon Demon
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon Demon   E-mail Lemon Demon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good for you!! you are right, she had no reason to call you that. The lack of respect in todays teenagers is appualing.

--------------------
"Realizing that one could Time Travel within his own liftime, Dr. Sam Becket stepped into the Quantum leap accelerator...and Vanished."-Quantum Leap

Posts: 44 | From: Cameron Park, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Demon:
Good for you!! you are right, she had no reason to call you that. The lack of respect in todays teenagers is appualing.

How right !... especially if you consider that said teenagers want to be respected like the little kings and queens they think they are, and consider the slightest remark as a deadly insult... just to treat you like shit on the first occasion [flame]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HappyHarry holiday
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HappyHarry holiday   E-mail HappyHarry holiday   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could she have just been making a mental note to herself? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I wish i was eccentric so i could afford to be weird

Posts: 67 | From: philippines | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Demon:
The lack of respect in todays teenagers is appualing.

There are bad teenagers and there are good ones. I really don't think there are any more "bad" ones "these days" than there were at any other time in history.

There are a lot of respectful teens out there (I have met many of them) and a few bad ones. You cannot judge them all because you had a bad experience.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here here Bach Girl. My son is 15 and wouldn't say anything like that in a million years. And neither would his friends. I have found them all to be polite and courteous towards adults. (And trust me I watch him when he doesn't know I'm around)
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Canuck:
I was out walking my dog today, when I saw a shiny, brand new looking scooter (similar to a moped or vespa). I was about 10 metres from it, not heading towards it or anything, and in no way altering my path to investigate the lone scooter, when a 15 or 16 year old girl shouts "Don't touch the scooter...". ~snippie~
Being the kind and well rounded person I am, however, I respected her wishes and didn't touch the scooter in any way. However, she made no indication of whether or not my dog should touch it. Naturally, I allowed him to urinate all over said scooter.

-Dark Canuck

Compromise, that's the key! [Smile]

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Traveller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Dark Canuck, what was her response to your dog's rear leg salute?
Posts: 374 | From: Georgia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, you didn't key the scooter (which you admitted to considering), but you allowed your dog to urinate on it? Oh, bravo. [Roll Eyes]

As a 20 y/o, you should know better. You let a 15 y/o goad you into behaving like an obnoxious child yourself. Instead of acting like an adult, you responded with as much (or more) immaturity as the girl who shouted at you by escalating the situation with urine.

I don't think any back-pats or congratulations are in order here.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me among those who think you behaved at least as badly as did the teenager. There are some rude teenagers, but most of them I know are polite. Teenagers who work at the local grocery store after school and on weekends are always polite, as are the neighborhood teens. By the way, there are also some rude adults. You appear to be one of them. I assume that twenty years old is considered to be an adult, anyway. Fine example you set for the rude youngster you happened upon.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dark Canuck, that you would violate someone's personal property (or allow your dog to) speaks volumes about your own maturity.

Sounds like you two are a match made in heaven, quite frankly.

People like that deserve nothing more that a "tut-tut" and a sad shake of the head. You stooped way beyond her level.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What was that thing I taught my kids?

Oh yes. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone else wondering if the urinating dog was just a little exaggerated? I certainly can't command my dog to pee on specific things. I am beginning to think that this was more of a "Gosh it would have been cool if my dog peed on the scooter," rather that an actual case of scooter urination.

Whether or not it actually happened, the behavior was/would have been beyond inappropriate. I believe that bad behavior is learned. When a child exhibits truly atrocious behavior, it's probably because he/she has witnessed something similar. Stooping below this child's level was an illustration to her that it is perfectly acceptable for adults to continue to escalate a situation. This is irresponsible and immature.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I assumed the urinating dog was hyperbole.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:

That's the way I read it as well, but I've been wrong in the past. I can't recall when mind you, but I'm sure its happened [Razz]

And yes two wrongs don't make a right. It takes at least 7 or 8 wrongs to make a right. And at least two Wrights to make an airplane. And 4 rights make a circle.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shifty rob
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shifty rob     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:

That's the way I read it as well, but I've been wrong in the past. I can't recall when mind you, but I'm sure its happened [Razz]

And yes two wrongs don't make a right. It takes at least 7 or 8 wrongs to make a right. And at least two Wrights to make an airplane. And 4 rights make a circle.

3 rights makes a left.

--------------------
"They got a name for the winners in the world; I want a name when I lose" -Steely Dan

Posts: 480 | From: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 22 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly he did want the dog to urinate on the scooter, but the dog really didn't. Makes for a more interesting story, so he tossed it in. The Irish in me appreciates the inclusion.

At any rate, I agree there are a ton of good teens out there, but the rotten ones are quite rotten and sometimes you just have to wonder how they got that way. I warrant it wasn't all on their own.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good for you, I think it's funny as hell. This is not a rant about a good teen, but a snotty one.I agree , there are some great teens out there, and they wouldn't be calling a perfect stranger a cocksucker.

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lainie:

[/QUOTE

In NASCAR it takes four lefts. [Smile]

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages