snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Read the email addresses before you hit Send

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Read the email addresses before you hit Send
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I got a whole string of forwarded joke emails from someone I didn't know. Two of them could be considered racist. One was titled "Bush's new border patrol policy," and had a picture of a box trap with a taco in it. [Mad]

I got them because the idiot didn't read the email address after she typed the first few letters. She had sent me a work-related email (submission to a contest) last week, so my address was probably in her system and automatically popped up when she went to type someone else's name that began with "A."

Please, everyone read your "To" lines carefully before you send email! I really don't need the details about your daughter's wedding or updates about Grandma's gallbladder surgery.

On a related rant--perhaps email programs like Outlook should rethink how addresses are typed and eliminate the "automatic address" function altogether.

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously. I had the same thing happen to me, but the other way around. I was the one sending a joke to a co-worker, and it wound up going to my REGIONAL VICE PRESIDENT because I didn't pay attention to the name that MS Outlook selected from my contact list.

Ugh ...

The joke was not racist or offesnive. It was just a "kids do the strangest things" type cutesy story. Fortunately there hasn't been any repercussions so far other than my supervisior going over the email policy with me.

Hopefully this will blow over without me, say, losing my job.

Tall Geeky "Lesson learned the hard way" Girl

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TGG, that's why I use my Hotmail for such stuff. Business is business. But you know that now.

Fuschia, you should send said person the link to the snopes main page. Then explain all your crappy forwards have already been reviewed and derided by snopes and Barbara.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 09 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Important Point.
When sending a spreadsheet file.... remember to isolate the one tab you want to send.DO NOT send the whole workbook.

Yee-Oh Yep I did-Mum

I tried to fix it by sending another E-mail titled
"DO NOT OPEN PREVIOUS (NAME OF FILE HERE) PLEASE DELETE."

They did re-contact me with a request for another bid so I guess I CYA'd that one??

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A slight hijack here, but another potential problem is hidden metadata in Microsoft Word and other office applications. There have been some high profile case in which damaging information was revealed in distributed documents. More discussion about the dangers if metadata can be found here.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've done this before. Very embarrasing. I typed out the first three letters in the first and last name of the oncall person, and Outlook ended up sending it to my aunt and uncle.

No harm, no foul, and it taught me to be sure of the addy when I send.

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michael Cole
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Cole   E-mail Michael Cole   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a recent episode of this to. Aplied for a job recently, which I was offered, but then turned down for reasons of the travelling distance and the remuneration amount. When I made my decision, i emailed the person at the job agency, and CC'ed the people at the actual company with my rejection of the offer, and the reasons for it, which I felt was well-written and explanitory, and apologetic for the use of their time.

The HR person at the company obviously thought that the email was a forward from the agency, and simply replied to it with some derogatory comments about me not accepting the offer. Nice one - makes me glad I didn't take it up.

I was thinking of responding to it, but finally decided that it wasn't worth it.

--------------------
Q. What's the difference between a Computer saleman and a Used Car Salesman?
A. The Used Car Salesman knows when he is lying.

Posts: 421 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fuchsia:
Today I got a whole string of forwarded joke emails from someone I didn't know. Two of them could be considered racist. One was titled "Bush's new border patrol policy," and had a picture of a box trap with a taco in it. [Mad]

Although, depending on one's political viewpoint that could be seen as Bush-bushing rather than racist (ie "Bush is so dumb, he thinks this would work" or even "Bush skimps so much on border security, this is the most we could afford").

Having said that, if the follow-up e-mails also contained stuff that was more clearly racist then I guess it would be sadly apparent as to the reason for it being sent.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
to get a bit offtopic I didn't see that joke as racist. It highlights the ignorance of the people in charge of border patrol policy.

I view it as kind of akin to the cartoon of the scientist trying to capture a bald eagle using a butterfly net and bird seed.

But maybe it's one of those jokes that can play both ways.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
A slight hijack here, but another potential problem is hidden metadata in Microsoft Word and other office applications. There have been some high profile case in which damaging information was revealed in distributed documents. More discussion about the dangers if metadata can be found here.

Nick

Um, why are they blaming the software not the fact that the company are sneaky lying weasels ? Or am I missing something.

Victoria J.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KentuckyGhostHunter
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyGhostHunter   E-mail KentuckyGhostHunter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fuchsia:

On a related rant--perhaps email programs like Outlook should rethink how addresses are typed and eliminate the "automatic address" function altogether.

Don't blame the program for something that can be turned off with 1 click of a checkbox in the options panel.

Now whether or not it should ship with the option turned on vs. turned off is a different debate entirely.

--------------------
"People demand freedom of speech to make up for freedom of thought, which they avoid."
--Kierkegaard

Posts: 303 | From: Ashland, KY | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of us can do this without computer technology...

I was working at a temporary job where I knew the work would soon be coming to an end, and applied for a permanent job at another organisation. In the circumstances I was allowed to fax the application form from the office. I was standing at the fax machine, making sure the papers were in order when a confidential client referral form came in.

So I put all the papers in the fax - including the referral.

I had to telephone the organisation, and ask them to shred it without reading. Unbelievably embarrasing. I can only assume the receptionist was kind enough to do this without telling the manager, as I ended up getting the job. (And do now know how nice she is).

My supervisor at the old job actually offered to telephone for me, and say she had faxed it rather than me. But I felt that the only thing worse than the mistake would be not owning up.

I hate fax machines. They are the one piece of technology that confuses and confounds me everytime. If there is anyway to mess up faxing a document I will manage it (from faxing the blank side of the paper onwards).

I guess I am saying (1) I'm an idiot, and (2) there are worse mistakes than missending an email. Though offensive content in the email would make it worse.

I also once emailed an ex-colleague at his hotmail address, and got one letter wrong. I wouldn't have worried that much as it was just dull office gossip and an attempt to wind the man up. However I did end the email with a joke threat, asking how I could attach Anthrax to an email. (It seemed more appropriate at the time, and followed a number of previous threats regarding trained venomous snakes).

The email wasn't bounced back as a non-existent address, and I have no idea who I sent it to. I spent a good couple of months worried that I was about to be hauled off by anti-terrorist officers (who I understand have NO sense of humour, at least officially). [Wink]

Victoria J.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fax machines. I hate them and fear them. I heard about a fellow who got his necktie caught in one, and ended up in Boise, Idaho. Terrible thing.

Dog Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A co-worker friend of mine once received a voicemail from her mortgage broker in connection with their refi. Somehow, in an attempt to delete it, she managed to forward it to the entire sales staff of one of our Oregon offices.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Friendly:
Fax machines. I hate them and fear them. I heard about a fellow who got his necktie caught in one, and ended up in Boise, Idaho. Terrible thing.

Dog Friendly

[lol]

Some of these threads are so timely they frighten me! [Eek!] A position at a Georgia library was just announced this morning on a local library mailing list I subscribe to. Shortly after that some poor soul posted to the whole list the following:

"How long does the position have to be vacant before they'll take any old body??????? :-)

As always I can be there in two weeks with virtually no learning curve..."

The "oops, I didn't mean to send that to everybody" email followed very quickly, but once it's out there you can't take it back!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread reminded me about a co-worker who hit reply-all and sent the entire office a rather sassy e-mail joking about sleeping with another co-worker's girlfriend! [Eek!]

Also TGG's post reminded me of another co-worker who sent a 100% innocent e-mail to a guy who used to work in our office about a bunch of us going out for Cinco de Mayo. Apparently the person had the same last name and took some type of offense to it, stating that it was inappropriate. (I think he thought it was a joke because the person the e-mail was intended for was Hispanic or something.)
Anyway, the whole thing was blown out of proportion, but this is exactly why people do have to be careful!

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeowulfGirl
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeowulfGirl   E-mail BeowulfGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I worked for the FAA, my e-mail address was one character away from a guy, with the same last name as mine, who worked for the FBI. We got each other's e-mail all the time. I kept telling him that one day, I was going to receive top-secret Treasury Department documents and he was going to wind up with flight plans.

At that same office, the lady who was responsible for collecting our time sheets called herself "The Timesheet Nazi" when she would e-mail people who had forgotten to hand theirs in. One vice-president, who was Jewish, took great offense to that and sent the entire company an angry e-mail about how we shouldn't use "controversial" terminology, even in jest.

She called herself "The Timesheet Police" after that. [Roll Eyes]

--Beowulf "Freeze! FBI!" Girl

--------------------
Please visit my blog and leave a comment! It's all pretty and pink and quite funny. Go here: http://beowulfgirl.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1790 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages