snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Worst Abuse of Kindness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worst Abuse of Kindness
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 501 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A little background information before I rant. Back in September my brother moved out of town to attend school, so my parents took this as an opportunity to move back up to Northern Canada. This has been something that they had been thinkig about for years, so it didn't really come as a surprise.

Since I was still going to school here in town, I lived at home and my brother and I each took a car for our own use.

However, when my brother was home in November there was an incident involving a city snow plow. A large chunk of blade came off the plow and bounced around under the car. At the time we didn't feel it was safe for my brother to take the car back to school until we had the car checked out by a mechanic. Luckily the car was okay, however if the blade piece bounced to the left 6 inches it would have taken out the gas tank or to the right 6 inches it would have taken out the transmission, but I digress.

That's the background.

My neighbours are a fairly young couple, maybe a few years older than myself and my parents were quite helpful in that we gave them a key to our shed so they could our lawn mower etc.

Fast forward to January. My parents are home for a few days, and the one car that my brother used is sitting here. It's an older car and needed to be started up now and again to make sure it would keep a battery charge, especially in winter. So, my parents decide to give the neighbours a key to the car, saying they could use it once or twice a week for groceries or emergencies with the proviso that it was WHILE my brother was away for school.

Since this time they have taken to using the car as their own personal vehicle. There have been times when my brother has gone to use the car only to find it missing. For a while I took his car to work so that he could have access to a car at night. This promted a question from the neighbour to my brother along the lines of "is Jon taking the car to work because he doesn't want us to use it?"

Fast forward a few more weeks. My brother is working at an Easter Seals camp about 20 km away. He's a sous chef so it doesn't make much sense for him to drive back and forth every day so he stays over night and keeps the car there. Just after he left, I had a message waiting for me on my answering machine one moring when I came home from work asking to borrow MY car, which was never EVER part of the agreement. It was 8AM and I was very tired so I just ignored it. The next morning I came home from work and there was a note rudely worded "Jon, lets try this again..." asking for the same thing!

The following week (this Monday just past) my brother came home to do some laundry and pick up his bike. He gets bored between meals and wanted something to do. So he went to the shed only to find a.) no lock on the shed, and b.) his bike missing. [Eek!]

So he knocks next door, rather politely I thought asking where is bike was. "Oh" says the neighbour "D" (her boyfriend) "has it at work, and the shed lock is in our house"

Now, my brother had given D permission ONCE to borrow the bike and they took it to mean they could use it whenever he wanted.

After my brother asked for the bike back, the neighbour "E" (girlfriend)wrote a note to my brother. Something I used to do when I was... oh, seven. In it she rants about how we were bad neighbours (my brother and I) and how they'll never use my brother's bike again.

Except that today, I saw them riding around on the bike. I changed the lock on the shed as per my parents instructions. This sends the neighbours into a rage, because they couldn't get at their stuff in our shed (who said they could keep anything in there?!) and they started calling my brother a "NFBSK bundle of sticks" a "spoiled brat" and he was "messing with the wrong NFBSKing guy"

I had to go to work about that time, but I was so angry I was shaking. I couldn't stay and had to come home. I'll eventually go back tonight, but I'm in no condition to deal with guests at the hotel.

But I ask, what reasonable human being acts as my neighbours had?!

ETA: I believe I forgot to mention that D has no driver's license, but regularly drives the vehicle. [Mad]

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Selfish oafs act as your neighbors have.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 208 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally do believe they have more than necessarily took advantage of a good situation. I am very close to my neighbors and I don't believe that even if they offered me to use a vehicle or their bike due to liability issues I would not do it no matter what the circumstances. Your family I feel has tolerated entirely too much. I commend your coolness in the whole situation because I believe I would be doing a little more than shaking. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
Selfish oafs act as your neighbors have.

But never forget: people are most definitely stupid.

I'm constantly amazed at the sense of entitlement some people have. It's sickening, really.

TwoGuys, I'd start helping myself to the stuff in their fridge. They might get the hint of how they've been acting then.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Their stuff is in your shed? Ebay time!

Seriously, though, that sucks. Some people aren't worth being nice to.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kajico
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kajico     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I say get their stuff and toss it on their yard, done deal. Lock up the shed and take away the car keys. If they made copies of the car keys, and next you see that it's gone and you know no one in your family is useing it, report it stolen.

I am very generous with people too, but I keep a certain boundry of generosity. I won't lend away spare keys to anybody, for shed, car, or other. I'd make sure they asked me fore permission before using anything by actually coming to me asking for the key.

When I see situations like this it always reminds me of the children's book: "If you give a mouse a cookie"

because the smallest thing can snowball into something that you aren't ready to deal with.

Yes that is abuse, and those people have no shame.

Posts: 6 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You could always leave the car out overnight... and then report it stolen the next time they decide to "borrow" it. I'd get their stuff out of the shed and take it back to them/leave it at their house, though. That way they can't call the police and claim you've stolen the things they were storing there. Come to think of it, maybe you should complain to the police first about the increasingly abusive calls. Y'know... before they try and burn your shed down or something. (Paper trail!)

You do need to get that key back. As long as they have it, they're going to think they have your parents permission to use the car.

ETA: Wait, these two don't have licenses but you guys loan them a car to drive?

--------------------
"But what of the golden spider-duck and the squat crimson pig?"

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First of all start a paper trail on this yesterday! If they are acting like this now, it's a safe bet that the matter will end up in court.

My advice would be to change the ignition cylinder and the door and trunk locks on the car or otherwise cut off access to the car. If they don't have access to it, they can't take it, and you won't need to call the police. Be warned, taking away permission for these things will likely result in reprisals. Do you have a garage you can put the cars in?

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Year Without A SeaPea
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Year Without A SeaPea   E-mail The Year Without A SeaPea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A wise old proverb:
"Let your neighbors into your shed, be prepared to deal with tools."

--------------------
you can't fight biology...

Posts: 301 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What nerve of these neighbors!

I personally would tell them where the hell they could go and what they could do with their crap, but not before snatching my stuff back.

But that's just me with my anger management issues.

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could you have your parents call them up and tell them they can't use the stuff anymore? They'll still think you are both A-holes, but at least their permission to used the car and shed will have been revoked by the people that gave them permission in the first place. I also agree that a paper trail would be in your best interests.
Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All of this sounds like good advice: returning their things, and changing locks on the shed and car. Write them a note (make sure you have a copy), place it in an envelope and hand it to them in person. State that circumstances have changed and they are no longer welcome to your (or your parents' or brother's) personal belongings. That way, they have it, in writing, that they are not allowed on the property anymore. If they claim otherwise when and if the police come, bring out your copy and explain it was personally given to them.

I might also rent or borrow a video camera for documentation purposes if you are afraid of repercussions. Any kind of documentation, even if it's just writing down when something went missing or words or threats said to you by your neighbors, is a wise idea, as you will have access to a consistant set of details.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sea PeaMote Control:
A wise old proverb:
"Let your neighbors into your shed, be prepared to deal with tools."

[lol]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Radical Dory:
Write them a note (make sure you have a copy), place it in an envelope and hand it to them in person.

I would go a step further and send it by registered mail. That way, there's evidence they received it, since they have to sign for it.

So they can't say, "Ooh, he never gave us that letter."

--------------------

Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone is giving him tips for what he should do with what he has...but has anyone thought of what he DOESN'T have (like the bike)? How will they get that back?

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do NOT keep their stuff locked in the shed take it back to them NOW! If they can claim that they had permission to store things in the shed, and it sounds like they probably can at least raise that issue, you can be charged with theft for locking their stuff away.

I am NOT saying you are in any way in the wrong, just pointing out a quirk of law that burned a business partner of mine once. Long story, but it ended with him in jail for hours over a crooked contractors toolbox, and all he did was refuse to meet the guy on a sunday so he could get his tools.

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a waffle queen:
Everyone is giving him tips for what he should do with what he has...but has anyone thought of what he DOESN'T have (like the bike)? How will they get that back?

TwoGuys and foglifter have volunteered to be on a shin-kicking brigade for me.

The least I could do is put these NFBSKwits through a table for TwoGuys.

--------------------

Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two Guys, all the above advice is good. First, return their items. Figure out what, if anything, they still have of yours (and your parents and your brother). Ask for the return or any such items in the registered letter your parents send them. The letter needs to be from your parents because: (1) they gave the original permission and (2) they own the property and shed in question. Your parents should simply state in their letter that circumstances have changed since they gave their permission (without going into particulars, finger pointing or name calling) and they are now revoking that permission and want the rewturn of the shed lock, any and all keys in neighbors possession and any and all other property (list what you know they have and add something along the lines of "and any other of our property/Two Guys' property/Two Guys' Brother's property in your possession." Also mention that if this property is not returned and/or they continue to try to use the property/shed/automobiles/etc., legal and/or criminal action will be taken. Keep a log of any and all times they used anything, when you found keys missing, when you found the shed lock missing, conversations, etc. Keep this log going forward, you might need it. Hopefully, if they get something formal and in writing from your folks, they wil take it seriously. If you know any lawyers, ask them for advice in writing the letter. I would be willing to advise you to the best of my ability, but I'm not sure of Canadian law.

Good luck. Hopefully, hearing from your parents will nip the little NFBSKers in the bud!

Jocko's "not a lawyer, didn't play one on TV, didn't stay at a Holiday Express, but was a legal secretary back in the day" Wild

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks everyone for the support and advice.

Things are in the process of being dealt with, I just need to talk to my parents tomorrow and find out what's been going on, on their end.

quote:
Originally posted by Jocko's Wild:
Jocko's "not a lawyer, didn't play one on TV, didn't stay at a Holiday Express, but was a legal secretary back in the day" Wild

Apparently working at a Holiday Inn doesn't help much either [Wink]

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Get your keys back.

Change the locks.

Do not trust them again.

Call the police if it gets out of hand.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Get the keys to the car or make the car inaccessible to them YESTERDAY. They don't have a driver's license? Gotta wonder if that also means they have no car insurance. If they don't, and do something stupid behind the wheel, that means your parents' insurance will be tagged for any stupidity. This could get ugly.

I'm also wondering if they are going the extra selfish mile because your parents are gone. You know, like expanding on your parents' generosity now that your parents can't see exactly how far the neighbors have taken things? Good call on having your parents chat with them. That may help immensely.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Menolly:
Get the keys to the car or make the car inaccessible to them YESTERDAY. They don't have a driver's license? Gotta wonder if that also means they have no car insurance. If they don't, and do something stupid behind the wheel, that means your parents' insurance will be tagged for any stupidity. This could get ugly.

I'm also wondering if they are going the extra selfish mile because your parents are gone. You know, like expanding on your parents' generosity now that your parents can't see exactly how far the neighbors have taken things? Good call on having your parents chat with them. That may help immensely.

Even if they have insurance, the insurance goes with the vehicle, not the driver. I was in an accident in my parents' car (they lent it to us while our truck is being worked on) and their insurance is the one that got involved, not mine (the cop didn't even ask me for my insurance information). I was not at fault in the accident, but I think it's the same even if the driver is at fault.

I meant to point this out in my earlier post, but I forgot -- sorry. There are all kinds of liability issues that the parents should be concerned about, including the fact that perhaps they could be charged criminally if they knowingly let a non-licensed driver use their vehicle.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think anyone deliberately lent a car to an unlicensed driver. I had understood that TwoGuyswithaHat's parents had lent the car to the next door neighbour, and the neighbour had then also allowed her boyfriend to use it. And that it is only the boyfriend that is unlicensed.

Once they were aware that an unlicenced driver was using the car I guess they have some responsibility to ensure that this does not continue, and that in itself seems like a very good reason for removing the agreement that the neighbour can take the car. But I don't think that is the same as knowingly lending the car to an uninsured driver.

Could be wrong about this (has been known [Wink] ) but that is how I read the OP.

Victoria J.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah. Yes, Victoria, it is different than knowingly allowing access... I just had a flashback when I was reading. Landlord friends of ours got the oddest call about a 'car in the lawn.' Turns out a teenager had stolen a car, taken the police on a merry chase and ended up ramping the car onto our friends' lawn, tearing up the undercarriage of the car on the now-destroyed wrought iron handrail and landscape stones. The police told our friends they could sue the owner of the car to recoup repair costs since the teenager didn't have any insurance or assets. They didn't sue, but still it boggles my mind that even during a felony theft joyride, the car owner is responsible for damage. Unreal!

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

quote:
Originally posted by Menolly:
Ah. Yes, Victoria, it is different than knowingly allowing access... I just had a flashback when I was reading. Landlord friends of ours got the oddest call about a 'car in the lawn.' Turns out a teenager had stolen a car, taken the police on a merry chase and ended up ramping the car onto our friends' lawn, tearing up the undercarriage of the car on the now-destroyed wrought iron handrail and landscape stones. The police told our friends they could sue the owner of the car to recoup repair costs since the teenager didn't have any insurance or assets.

No, the police were mistaken. If the kid stole the car, the owners cannot be held liable. If the police suspected that the car wasn't really stolen, I suppose your friends could try to sue the car owners and prove it in civil court, but they probably wouldn't win. If the kid was a minor, they could sue his parents, but that's it.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages