snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » My health insurance is too expensive!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My health insurance is too expensive!
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My health insurance through Blue Cross and Blue Sheild of OK has gone up. When I first signed up, it was about $40 a month for me (now 28 yr old non-smoker, non-drinker, no children or spouse) to have major medical *only* coverage. Now somehow the "rising cost of healthcare" has caused my payments to increase to $200! Now to some of you that may be chickenfeed, but it's 1/4 of my monthly income!

*sigh* Anyone have any recommendations for cheap emergency-only insurance?

--------------------
"But what of the golden spider-duck and the squat crimson pig?"

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
justusfour
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justusfour     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe they are making you are pay that much more all of the sudden - I wonder how they can increase you that much! I have a private policy though BCBS also (of TX) that is pretty much only major medical and I pay $188 for me, my husband, and my two small children! I would have definitely recommended BCBS if you hadn't indicated you are already using them. Unreal. Aetna was my second choice, maybe try Unicare also? Good luck...

--------------------
"Is there anything fluffier than a cloud? If there is, I don't want to know about it."

Posts: 66 | From: Cowtown TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EeyoreCorbie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EeyoreCorbie   E-mail EeyoreCorbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's awful! We went on state medical when I got pregnant and realized how little our $300 a month covered. It's been great, especially since the kids are free and they have dental and vision. We pay on a sliding scale and are actually near the bottom so we could make more and still quallify. You should check out if your state has something like that.

--------------------
It sure is bright in the dark future.
"He carries his anger around like a dead skunk."
Ignorance is sad. Willfull ignorance is bad. Willfully spreading ignorance is evil.

Posts: 95 | From: Washington | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richl
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richl   E-mail Richl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is your monthly payment 200!, for just you???? I have never payed that much for health insurance. I feel sorry for you. The only way I payed that much for insurance was when I was layed off and had to get cobra.
Posts: 106 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Para:
My health insurance through Blue Cross and Blue Sheild of OK has gone up. When I first signed up, it was about $40 a month for me (now 28 yr old non-smoker, non-drinker, no children or spouse) to have major medical *only* coverage. Now somehow the "rising cost of healthcare" has caused my payments to increase to $200! Now to some of you that may be chickenfeed, but it's 1/4 of my monthly income!

*sigh* Anyone have any recommendations for cheap emergency-only insurance?

Is this insurance sponsored through your employer or is this insurance you have obtained on your own?

One option that you should seriously consider is HSA coverage. It really is ideal for single people. It's high-deductible medical insurance with a retirement-account-style savings account feature. Basically, you pay a standard insurance premium which grants you traditional medical coverage. The premium is lower than PPO or HMO insurance (such as Blue Cross/Blue Shield). You then deposit money into your Health Savings Account. The money you put into the account is given tax-preference (meaning that it is deducted from your income for tax purposes). The money in the account gains interest and/or dividends. That money is used to pay your deductible and other medical costs. It carries over (there is no 'use it or lose it' rule) and continues to grow. If there is still money in the account upon retirement, you can continue to use it for medical costs, or withdraw it as retirement income.

These types of setups work well for younger single people, but not so well for families (in my opinion).

Good summary of plan from Kiplinger's Personal Finance.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just called to make sure.. apparently I'm mistaken in saying that it's major medical only. The rep. informed me that it's "comprehensive" coverage (mental but no dental), with a rate of $189 per month.

Guys, thank you SO much for not making fun of me for this. I admit that I should pay a LOT closer attention to my finances, and this is a pretty rude wake up call. Yeah Methuselah, this is something I've got on my own. My employer doesn't offer any kind of health insurance. The type of plan you mention sounds terrific. I'm definitely going to have to look into that. EeyoreCorbie, I long for the days when I was still on state insurance. State insurance is so awesome!

ETA: A co-worker tells me she has fantastic coverage through Snoopy (MetLife?). I thought they were just life insurance?

--------------------

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
MetLife is good and they're not just life insurance. They're home, auto and medical too. They offer discounts for having multiple policies, as well has having your payment direct debited from your account.

SO loves them, and we just got our soon to be house insurance through them.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is some more info on HSA's from the US Treasury.
Health Savings Accounts

An HSA is a VERY GOOD option for someone who does not have insurance through their employer, since the premium that you have to pay is very low, and the money stays in the account and grows tax free, and can potentially be pretax (if your employer has a 125 plan).

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
finger stutters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finger stutters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it makes you feel any better, at the most expensive, my mom's insurance was $2,800 a month.

She is really sick though, and it was a little less than the cost of the actual medical services.

--------------------
YHBT. YHL. HAND.
My youtube channel

Posts: 258 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, I don't have any advice. My own health insurance doubled this year (with plan renewal). I think this is part of the health insurance "crisis" in the US.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm paying $580 a month for family coverage, with a $1000 deductible, no dental, no vision - and this is on my COMPANY group plan, of which they are paying - $0.

I have to get rid of a car payment this year if this keeps up. I feel your lightly-medicated pain...

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
coleus
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coleus   E-mail coleus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Because of my husband's diabetes, we would be paying $700 a month for the both of us. We've been putting money into savings each month and hoping for the best. Luckily, today I got a promotion. Benefits included. It should only be about $350 a month. We can handle that better than $700.
Posts: 52 | From: Utah | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yoiks! I'll pay $17 a month next fiscal year for full medical ($500 deductible on hospital expenses, $20 copay for the doctor visits, huge discount on prescriptions), dental, and vision.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of us are feeling the pinch.

$225 every two weeks for family coverge, $1000 deductible and 10% copay on visits, $25/$50/$75 prescriptions, no vision or dental.

That is 55% of the premium. Employer pays the other 45%.

We're getting fed up.

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha. I just called my provider to see if they could change me to a different policy. After I sit through a long song and dance about alterations he can do to my policy, and me still insisting that this current policy does me no good no matter how much stuff he wants to add to it, the guy comes up with this intellectual gem: "Maybe what you need is a different policy...?" I thanked him, and called back. Turns out that for what I want (major medical only), Blue Cross Blue Shield apparently can't do. At least the second person I talked to actually listened to what I was wanting and tried to help me.

I guess it's off to the yellowpages...

--------------------

Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I pay $580 each for me and my wifes heath insurance. They upped it almost $80 for each of us this year. I am now looking for cheaper insurance. The coverage I have now it 100% with $5 copay and $5 deductable on prescriptions. It will have to change to something more affordable realy soon.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have medical insurance. Here's hoping i continue to not need it. The cats however, do have medical insurance.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Venus, I understand not wanting to pay for the insurance because you may be the healthiest person you know, but ... accidents happen every day. I'm clumsy by nature, so I do know that firsthand. And foot. [Smile]

Ours is through Anthem (BCBS). We have dental through MetLife. Snoopy insurance, I like that!

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not a matter of not wanting medical insurance, it's a matter of not being able to afford it. The cats have medical cause it's cheap. 50 bucks covers them both whereas insurance for me would be substantially more.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As my dad says, "You pay a lot of money now just in case you have to pay a lot of money later."

I'm BC/BS too, so I really don't have anything else to add but lots of sympathy.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Understood, Venus. And this is the first thread I've seen you post on, so a belated welcome to the Board!

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After having had private pay insurance for two years, my husband's employer finally got group insurance for everyone. He's whinging and moaning about how much it is costing him (and I don't blame him either, because ouch) but the thing is, the company is growing and needs good employees and most of the competition offers health care so they really had no choice. (the day that all these business owners bring up the subject at the golf course and all decide to quit providing health care - kind of like how they all decide to keep wages half of what they oughta be - is the day we are totally screwed. I think my husband just might have finally found the only man in town in this business with any sort of personal ethics to work for, but on the whole, they are an exploitive bunch of sob's.)

It's really good healthcare - finally - the private pay we had (which, in Texas anyway, is a completely different product, and it sucks big time) basically didn't cover jack diddly. But it cost almost 600 a month. I keep hearing, "oh, just get cheap catastrophic insurance and save the money." I'd like to know where this mythological "cheap" insurance of ANY kind is. When I was shopping for our private insurance (because my husband's previous employer dropped healthcare, one reason he left) all I could find was really crappy catastrophic coverage that cost an arm and a leg, or only slightly better "full" coverage that cost an arm, a leg and your firstborn child. (but it didn't cover them.)

Insurance varies a lot by state. In Texas, the insurance companies say "take a crap!" and the legislators say "yes SIR what color?"

There is a law that insurance companies have to pay for mammograms. Our private pay found a way around that one. Our new insurance kicked in today, I'm scheduling my pap and mammo next week, haven't had one in two years. - I wouldn't have waited much longer, if we still had private pay, I'd have put it on a credit card or something, but it wasn't so much paying for the checkup that worried me, it was how little the plan would cover if they actually FOUND something. Been waiting 6 months for the new insurance. It's good coverage - I will be very surprised if it doesn't go way up after a year and we'll be back on the same old merry go round of finding newer, worse, and more expensive new coverage every damn year.

Health care is broken in this country. Period.

eta for clarity.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to know WTF happened to my insurance cost over the last 15 years. What did congress pass to change things and drive the cost up. I remember my same insurance that now cost $580 a month was $180 back in 91. I do not think I need a calulator to see it has increased more than inflation and definatly more than my wages.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More sympathies from another BC/BS person. The rates were decent at the begining but about a year into the plan they went way up (and no one got sick).

I appreciate everyone who suggested other options. The reason I never really went shopping around is because I don't have a real job and my finances are hard to explain (most of it is savings from a credit union account, the rest is just pocket money from odd jobs... I don't think 'x' amount plus ??? would go over too well). I usually stick with were I'm at (checking accounts, credit card, insurance, ect.) because I'm afraid that I'll be laughed at and kicked out if I go somewhere else and ask them to trust me finacially. However, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, besides its insurance... if I don't pay they don't pay (I don't think they risk losing anything in the deal). It sure hurts paying BC/BS rates. I have the feeling I'm paying so much. I also feel like I was really suckered into the plan (maybe I missed the fine print where it said it was just an introductory rate).

ETA: Radical Dory, you are with BC/BS as well? Are you absolutely sure you aren't me? Same college, same job (same exact mueseum), same city, same insurance, are just a few reasons I keep wondering about this.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

That's the boat I'm in, Singing in the Drizzle. Arg, I wish I could get a raise or something. That would help pay for this stuff a little. I think I'm just going to drop down to the BCBS basic ($100/month) while I shop around. Of course, the only way to change it is to get and return the paperwork; and they're amazingly vague about how long it will take to make the change. "Uh... maybe by next month..?" You jerks! You've squeezed all the blood you're going to get outta this turnip! There is NO more!

--------------------

mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. My insurance premiums actually went down by $50/month this year to $321 for a family plan (covers all five of us). It is one of the cheaper BCBS plans. In fact it's called AffordaBlue. The coverage isn't 100%, but it's a good mix of copay/fullpay/deductible for us. I don't feel totally suckered, but I don't feel totally secure, either.

Losing group health status was one of the biggest pinches in giving up the corporate world. And in the private insurance market, the groupings are so risk-specific that it ceases to be insurance, and just becomes cost-pooling.

I think a simpler health insurance system would do a lot of good, but I can't begin to comprehend the economics involved in a switch. And I shuddet to think of this government making my healthcare decisions for me.

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages