snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Homogenous Humans! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Homogenous Humans!
Robofication, Lightly Roasted
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HSSenior:
Well, there's me..heh.. but I'm 18 so I do declare I'm out of your league.. And what's this about throwing a bookcase off a two story building? are you a riot-lovin anarchist?

Sorry HS. 3-4 year difference? That's ok. 10 years? Well, I can't do that. [Frown]

But maybe you could help chuck my headboard off the balcony. It'll smash good!

--------------------
"As convenient as it may be, it's time I started taking responsibility for the messes I've created instead of always blaming everything on the law of entropy"

Posts: 453 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
If you recognize that you are restricting yourself why not lift a few restrictions? Like the hair and glasses part? Especially if you are finding a lot of posers with the hair and glasses.
I will stop now, but I am a fixer. When people talk about their problems I assume they are looking for a solution. I will put a mental post-it next to your name that says "not interested in advice." I wonder if snopes and Barbara would be mad if we answered your rants with "uh huh" and "right, I hate that" and little nodding head smilies which is what you seem to want.

Oh, Rhia, I love the discussions. They help me see things in myself I'm usually blind to. It's when people start picking apart a rant and logically analyzing it and then divert it off into some realm that analyzes my personality that I don't like.

I've had several rants end up that way. I do like discussing these things though. They enlighten me.

I am attracted to short haired women, usually very dark hair, with glasses and a quirky personality. However, in a friend, I don't usually look for these qualities. The only thing I look for in a friend is the quirkiness. Someone who can...basically either stand or go along with my weirdness.

Who can shift subjects on a dime and still maintain a certain level of discourse. Doesn't have to be high, but not descending into the artistic merits of Justin Timberlake.

I find these qualities moreso in women than in men. Men (and I'm generalizing, I'm sorry) tend to be more...fake? Fake isn't the word. Performing? On stage? Acting like something they're not? I can't find the words to describe it, but it's what I've faced when hanging out with guy friends in a social situation.

I don't know. Maybe I'm being inherently sexist. I just don't like "hangin' with the guys."

--------------------
"As convenient as it may be, it's time I started taking responsibility for the messes I've created instead of always blaming everything on the law of entropy"

Posts: 453 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Robo, when I have found the most success in meeting people it is because I made myself more open to relationships with people who didn't seem to match "my type."

I met people who, on the surface, I would not be normally attracted to, but wound up forming very close friendships. It made me look long and hard at those arbitrary restrictions I was placing on who was worthy to become my friend.

Over time I realized that I didn't have a type, and I wound up meeting my now-husband, who is not the tall, blonde, man at one time I would have held out for. And I could not be happier.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jingle Bell Hock

Thanks AnglRdr.

It's just tough to meet people. I'm pretty self-concious and anti-social.

It's hard for me to do the approaching. I usually wait and hope to be approached.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me, too.

Act as if it isn't difficult, and soon, it won't be. "Fake it 'til you make it."

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Myshkin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myshkin     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
Act as if it isn't difficult, and soon, it won't be. "Fake it 'til you make it."

Good advice, but easier said than done. Sometimes doing the difficult thing is not in itself the most difficult part of the process. Overcoming the self-consciousness of one's apparent struggle is the difficult part. The hard part of following the advice is not in the "it", but in the "fake".

Even if there were a self-help group for the morbidly self-conscious, it would consist largely of foot-shuffling and quiet fregmentary proto-sentences with lots of unnecessary qualifiers. I'd go to that group.

Posts: 741 | From: Big Bend, Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eh, I'm a terrible person to give advice on getting more friends, but I want to re-emphasize how important it is to not see a girl you're attracted to and think "I'd like to be just friends with her!" because you wouldn't like to be just friends, you're attracted to her.

Other than that, I wish you luck in your search for a wider social group.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Myshkin:
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

Good advice, but easier said than done.

Isn't that true of pretty much any human endeavor?

If, however, a person wants to change his/her life, he/she has to start living it differently.

I suspect, however, that often those who talk about wanting to change their lives are not really interested in doing/too afraid to do the hard work it takes to do so.

--------------------

Aptenodytes_Forsteriis
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeowulfGirl:
A while back, I was feeling down-in-the-dumps about myself and tried to think of all the things I liked about myself. I could only come up with two: (1) Good sense of humor and (2) Extremely intelligent.

Depressed, I called a friend and moaned to him. His response was: "First of all, never underestimate the power of 'funny and smart'."

I explained to him that in order for a man to even find out that I'm funny and smart, he would have to actually approach me in conversation first, which means that he would have to be able to get past my looks. The face and body, unfortunately, are the first things people see (unless you're on an internet dating site, and even there we're told that the profiles which include pictures are the ones that are responded to the most).

I like to think that I'm "authentic", but to be honest, I'm getting a little tired of being called "unique." "Unique" is a little too close to "weird" (which I was constantly called as a child) for me.

Some days, I would give anything to be "normal" or "popular" just to see what it feels like.

--Beowulf "time to up the meds" Girl

As for nme I don't believe that normal and popular exists. We're all anonymous to 6 billion people and as for normal, that nice clean cut looking soccer mom or that well-groomed polite young man have just as many demons in their skulls as the rest of us. I was thirty-three before I learned that lesson, sitting up late one night while a friend who was near the top of our class in law-school, and a truly beautiful, always well dressed woman, told me about her long term depression, suicide attempts, wild, dangerous promiscuity duruing college, and other things too private to share even anonymously. I've always been outside the in-crowd and like you I envied their "happiness", up til that night when I realized that my quirky weirdness was less stressful to live than their crushing conformity.

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jingle Bell Hock

I have the quirky weirdness *and* the demons.

People become attracted to the weirdness but are driven away by the demons. I've done my best to fight off the pointy tailed freaks with pitchforks, but some just insist on hanging on.

No matter what I do. My one friend once told me, "It takes a special person to really like you. No offense intended, but there's just a lot to deal with."

And I try to hide it all. Try not to show it and make people deal with my private problems. But, as with any relationship with a human--friendship or otherwise--these problems will eventually be exposed.

--------------------

Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aptenodytes_Forsteriis:

As for nme I don't believe that normal and popular exists. We're all anonymous to 6 billion people and as for normal, that nice clean cut looking soccer mom or that well-groomed polite young man have just as many demons in their skulls as the rest of us. I was thirty-three before I learned that lesson, sitting up late one night while a friend who was near the top of our class in law-school, and a truly beautiful, always well dressed woman, told me about her long term depression, suicide attempts, wild, dangerous promiscuity duruing college, and other things too private to share even anonymously. I've always been outside the in-crowd and like you I envied their "happiness", up til that night when I realized that my quirky weirdness was less stressful to live than their crushing conformity.

Richard Cory

by Edwin Arlington Robinson

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich - yes, richer than a king -
And admirably schooled in every grace;
In fine we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, I'm nerdy! And I've worn plastic-framed glasses since before wearing them was "cool." I guess it's because I'm legally blind and wouldn't be able to see without them...And the plastic frames don't get bent and crooked as easily as wire-rimmed frames.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages