snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Homogenous Humans! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Homogenous Humans!
Robofication, Lightly Roasted
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there any women out there with glasses, who aren't self-concious about their glasses, have short hair, are intelligent beyond belief, quirky, have a crooked smile, and don't mind throwing bookcases off of a two story building? Nerdy girls who don't mind being nerdy and who don't do so in order to follow a trend.

Or is it just me? I've looked at all these online sites looking for someone in the area to hang out with, gone to coffee shops, and the *choke* occasional bar (I hate bars). Almost every single man and woman looks the same in every case! Same clothing ensemble, same mannerisms, same vapid conversations.

There's no uniqueness! Or if there is uniqueness, it's faked. Like...emo photos.

Is there anyone authentic out there or is it just a dream?

--------------------
"As convenient as it may be, it's time I started taking responsibility for the messes I've created instead of always blaming everything on the law of entropy"

Posts: 453 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People of any sex who are intelligent beyond belief are not exactly standing around on every street corner.

Also, some people can be intelligent beyond belief and not need glasses...

And for someone who wants authenticity, you seem to be broadcasting a pretty specific type that you're looking for (Tina Fey?).

I'd also say authenticity is not one of those things that one can judge in the space of a single evening. And you're looking for a nerdy girl who looks nerdy somehow by coincidence, not because she's choosing the style that fits what she identifies with? You might want to readjust your conception of "authenticity."

All of that said: yes, they are out there. But not in Denver. They have to live in oxygen-rich lower elevations in order to fuel their massive brains. (This is also why they wear their hair short -- long hair is too much of an insulator, and can cause their grey matter to overheat. And the glasses? Heatsinks.)

--Logoboros

--------------------
"If Men were Wise, the Most arbitrary Princes could not hurt them. If they are not wise, the Freest Government is compelld to be a Tyranny."

--William Blake

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
finger stutters
Deck the Malls

Icon 206 posted      Profile for finger stutters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I try not to follow everyone else. But I do have to say that I like my glasses. I really didn't even think about being worried about my glasses at all.

Maybe you could let me know if I look the same as everyone else in my myspace

I think I try too hard to be diferent, so that probably makes me the same as everyone else. Man I can't win.

Good Luck with you search!

ETA: fix the link

--------------------
YHBT. YHL. HAND.
My youtube channel

Posts: 258 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logoboros:
People of any sex who are intelligent beyond belief are not exactly standing around on every street corner.

Also, some people can be intelligent beyond belief and not need glasses...

And for someone who wants authenticity, you seem to be broadcasting a pretty specific type that you're looking for (Tina Fey?).

I'd also say authenticity is not one of those things that one can judge in the space of a single evening. And you're looking for a nerdy girl who looks nerdy somehow by coincidence, not because she's choosing the style that fits what she identifies with? You might want to readjust your conception of "authenticity."

All of that said: yes, they are out there. But not in Denver. They have to live in oxygen-rich lower elevations in order to fuel their massive brains. (This is also why they wear their hair short -- long hair is too much of an insulator, and can cause their grey matter to overheat. And the glasses? Heatsinks.)

--Logoboros

Tina Fey is my fetish. [Big Grin]

No, I know what you mean. It's just everyone I meet who is my "type" is either part of a fad or superficial to a fault. I probably have too high standards.

Which means lonliness for life.

--------------------
"As convenient as it may be, it's time I started taking responsibility for the messes I've created instead of always blaming everything on the law of entropy"

Posts: 453 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logoboros:

All of that said: yes, they are out there. But not in Denver.
--Logoboros

Ah-HEM! I happen to be a highly intelligent, short-haired, cute female (although I do wear contacts most often) who lives in Denver (or at least will be on July 16th). I'm even a red-head.

Your statement, Logo, is pure prejudice.

Of course, there could be something to it. That would explain why, when I posted a personal ad on craigslist I got more than 200 responses in 5 hours.

Robo, aren't you in grad school? You're telling me you haven't been able to find one smart, sassy, single girl? Where have you been hanging out? What about First Fridays and the like? Have you tried an ad on craigslist, or looked at the personals on the Onion (people who use SpringStreet seem to have a bit more personality then the normal match.com crowd).

They are out there, Robo. I'll be cheerin' for you!

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
Ah-HEM! I happen to be a highly intelligent, short-haired, cute female (although I do wear contacts most often) who lives in Denver (or at least will be on July 16th). I'm even a red-head.

1) You're not in Denver right now. Logoboros didn't say they never would be in Denver.
B- IMS, you're not single/available.
III. You have never expressed a desire to throw bookcases off a two-story building.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robofication, Lightly Roasted:
Are there any women out there with glasses, who aren't self-concious about their glasses, have short hair, are intelligent beyond belief, quirky, have a crooked smile, and don't mind throwing bookcases off of a two story building? Nerdy girls who don't mind being nerdy and who don't do so in order to follow a trend.

You've pretty much just described me. Well, my hair is not too short anymore, and I don't know if I'm unbelievably intelligent or just of reasonable intelligence, but otherwise, yes. Unfortunately I am neither single nor do I live near you. But at least you know we do exist.

Edited to add that when your supposed "too-high" standards involve a physical type, it can be pretty easy to change those standards. Bear in mind that the girl's personality is far more important than her physical appearance. Look for girls whose personalities fit your type, and don't worry so much about how they dress and look. You needn't be doomed to loneliness, you just need to reevaluate your priorities. Someone who thrills you mentally will eventually thrill you physically, because when you adore someone's personality they become more and more physically attractive.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeowulfGirl
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeowulfGirl   E-mail BeowulfGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A while back, I was feeling down-in-the-dumps about myself and tried to think of all the things I liked about myself. I could only come up with two: (1) Good sense of humor and (2) Extremely intelligent.

Depressed, I called a friend and moaned to him. His response was: "First of all, never underestimate the power of 'funny and smart'."

I explained to him that in order for a man to even find out that I'm funny and smart, he would have to actually approach me in conversation first, which means that he would have to be able to get past my looks. The face and body, unfortunately, are the first things people see (unless you're on an internet dating site, and even there we're told that the profiles which include pictures are the ones that are responded to the most).

I like to think that I'm "authentic", but to be honest, I'm getting a little tired of being called "unique." "Unique" is a little too close to "weird" (which I was constantly called as a child) for me.

Some days, I would give anything to be "normal" or "popular" just to see what it feels like.

--Beowulf "time to up the meds" Girl

--------------------
Please visit my blog and leave a comment! It's all pretty and pink and quite funny. Go here: http://beowulfgirl.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1790 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
III. You have never expressed a desire to throw bookcases off a two-story building.

True. I have few enough bookcases as it is, and my books somehow breed overnight. As a result, bookcases are precious commodities in my world.

Couches or coffee tables, however, are fair game.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Robification, your OP is unclear as to what kind of companionship you're looking for. The term "hang out" suggests casual friends, but the fact that you were only looking for women suggests dating and possibly more. I'm going with the dating and possibly more scernario.

One day, I'm going to do a survey of married couples and ask where they met. I'm willing to wager that very few of them met in coffee shops or *choke* bars.

I'm a firm believer in the notion that the more one actively looks for companionship, the less likely one is to find it.

I'm also a firm believer in the idea that until you can find happiness with yourself as a single person, you'll never find happiness with a partner of the dating variety.

When I was single I lived by these two rules religiously, and they worked really well for me. Women ended up asking me out (and believe me, I'm no prize) just because I would get to know them in non-meat market settings (work, school, softball league, et al), and we would get to know each other first, then start dating.

Heck I knew DW for nearly 2 years before we went on our first date. I think it surprised both of us that we even started dating. Neither one of us actively pursued the other. It all just fell into place.

So I guess what I'm trying to say in all this babbling is for you to have patience. It will come.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EeyoreCorbie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EeyoreCorbie   E-mail EeyoreCorbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nerdy girls who don't mind being nerdy and who don't do so in order to follow a trend.

Snip...

Is there anyone authentic out there or is it just a dream?

Do you meet many fake nerdy girls? How do you fake nerdiness? I thought that was kind of an inrtinsic thing? You either are or you're not.

--------------------
It sure is bright in the dark future.
"He carries his anger around like a dead skunk."
Ignorance is sad. Willfull ignorance is bad. Willfully spreading ignorance is evil.

Posts: 95 | From: Washington | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EeyoreCorbie:
Do you meet many fake nerdy girls? How do you fake nerdiness? I thought that was kind of an inrtinsic thing? You either are or you're not.

Nah. I know exactly what he's talking about. It's become a bit of a trend (at least in this area) to embrace certain markers of "nerdiness" in an attempt to live the "emo" lifestyle. However, the embrace of such a thing as a young adult doesn't equal those of us who grew up like that, with the attendent weirdness and persecution. Even though I don't really look it anymore, mentally I'm still the girl with coke-bottle glasses, frizzy hair, and far too many books who had no social skills whatsoever. I still can't believe that people actually *like* me and are interesting in being around me. Shocks the hell out of me every time I make a true friend.

--------------------

Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Robo, you can't judge a bookcase throwing girl by her cover. Trust me...if you saw me sitting at the bar, in my normal Friday night garb, you would never guess that I was the girl with the stack of Asimov's and Analog by her bed, that I was the one who knew what a D20 is, that I wore glasses since I was 8 (OK, I wear contacts now), that I was the backstage theater techie.

AS for throwing things off of buildings, I find that big cheap glass vases make quite a satisfying crash. There is that pesky cleanup factor, though...

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
I have few enough bookcases as it is, and my books somehow breed overnight.

Why do book collections grow so quickly? Because books are always between the covers! [insert rimshot effect and rotten tomato here]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I probably have too high standards.

Which means lonliness for life.

Jeez, Robo, drama much? Didn't you just break up with your girlfriend last week?

I believe that we find relationships when we don't need them - when we are happy with ourselves and our lives, and aren't desparately trying to find someone to fill a void.

I don't know where you are in that process, but whereever you are, have some patience. She'll show up. She may not look exactly as expected, though, so keep your eyes open.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Piss off about the drama comment bthyb. [Wink]

As for everyone else, yeah just looking for a friend that fits my personality. Which happens to be the nerdy type girl.

I don't get along with guys. And I'm not looking for a relationship or anything, just someone to hang out with.

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Ahhh. Hence the problem. Makes quite a bit more sense.

I get along with males better, and it's difficult finding a friend-compatible male who a) isn't interested in dating or b) isn't involved in a realtionship that takes up what free time they have (not to mention, SO's sometimes react badly if you have friendships of the opposite sex.)

So, I know where you are coming from. Oddly enough, I did find a couple of buddies off my craigslist ad, buddies who I see to this day. Might be worth a try....

--------------------

ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are only looking for people to hang around with, why does it matter at all what they look like? I don't usually care how long my friends' hair is.

ETA: I just noticed that you also said that Tina Fey is your fetish, and that you want to find people who look like her. Robo, I don't know if you realize this, but it's a terrible mistake to insist you're looking for just friends or people to hang out with when you're really looking for people to be attracted to. It leads to all sorts of icky situations, especially the "nice guy/ just friends" problem so many of us have complained about in the past.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Piss off about the drama comment bthyb. [Wink]

Confused about the winky face, because either you mean the comment or you don't.

I'm merely pointing out that you're thinking here is a little extreme. I tend to have extreme thinking too - but sometimes it's worth it to have someone point out that things are not that bad.

I apologize if my first post sounded snarky - but at this point you've asked for a lot of advice in several posts, I didn't think I had to sugarcoat my message.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleS:
If you are only looking for people to hang around with, why does it matter at all what they look like? I don't usually care how long my friends' hair is.

Seconded. I have never known it to matter if my friends wear glasses or not, except I get asked to put them in my purse when we ride rollercoasters.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, from your first post I gather that you're looking for people who are unique...just like you?

I agree with everyone who has said that you need to get past looks here, especially if you're looking for non-romantic relationships.

I'm one of, if not the nerdiest people I know. I was a dork before being a dork was cool. I enjoy nerdy things, am (to toot my own horn)very intelligent and throwing large objects just happens to be right up my alley. If we ever met you probably wouldn't know any of this, because I have long hair and wear contacts (which isn't totally for aesthetic reasons, I can't stand the feeling of something constantly touching my face). I also wear makeup and a large portion of my wardrobe can be considered mainstream or even trendy.

Those things don't make me less of a nerd personality wise. I actually have quite a few female friends who are similar.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that my friends have all looked past my normie exterior and seen the nerd within. That's what you should do, Robo. Hang out in places nerds like, not just coffee shops. Don't write someone off because they have highlights or wear clothes from Old Navy, they could be the ones who quote the Simpsons in everyday conversation and get all excited about the Twilight Zone marathon on Sci-Fi this weekend (I know I am [Big Grin] ).

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lionswims
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lionswims   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll second CFS. My female friends and I enjoy hours of video gaming, and spend even more time playing table top RPGs. I don't think any of us wear glasses (I do for driving, but that's it), and we tend to dress on the trendy side of the fashion spectrum. I like to think I'm intelligent and unique. Cool girls are out there- the snopester women make perfect examples.
Posts: 134 | From: Farmington, CT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With the exception that my intelligence is within mission parameters you pretty much described me. However, I'm married and I already know you are a git.

However, I get the railing against artifice. There is some use to vapid conversation when just getting to know someone. What do you want to talk about. What are you wearing?

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As for everyone else, yeah just looking for a friend that fits my personality. Which happens to be the nerdy type girl.

I don't get along with guys. And I'm not looking for a relationship or anything, just someone to hang out with.

Then I too am wondering why you are looking for such a specific girl. Girls with long hair or who don't wear glasses or whose IQs don't measure up to your standards aren't good enough to be your friend?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've looked at all these online sites looking for someone in the area to hang out with, gone to coffee shops, and the *choke* occasional bar (I hate bars).

Wow...gee...you've really exhausted all the possibilities there, haven't you. I mean, you've looked online, at coffee shops, and even a bar and didn't find your soulmate. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

Pardon my sarcasm, but it pisses me off to hear people complain about not being able to find "a nice guy/girl" when all they do is go out to a bar or coffee shop and wait for something to magically happen.

You want to meet people that could become friends and more? Join a book club, volunteer at a hospital, become a dog-walker at the local humane society, spend time at the library, talk to the people you regularly see at the laundromat or grocery store...DO SOMETHING! Hanging out online or in bars is doing nothing. It's passive behavior. You need active behavior if you want to make friends. You need to be involved in something that requires interaction with other people. As a bonus, you will get to know someone over time, and won't be required to judge them against your stringent criteria the instant you first see them. You may realize that "Jane Doe" at the library is a fascinating, nerdy, intelligent woman who just so happens to be wearing her hair long this year, instead of short.

I met my SO when I joined an environmental group in my city. If you join a group, then you might meet someone that you can invite to join you at the coffee house some evening. It's a heck of a lot more effective than going to the coffee house and hoping that the world's most perfect woman will stop in, and will just happen to be looking to meet someone just like yourself that evening.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh silly, silly snopesters. I was just ranting about the lack of people I get along with here in the city. I know they're out there (Ryda being one) and ThistleS is damn cool.

So is Bettie Paige. But all of the "friends" I've been set up with (remember, I said I didn't want to date anyone after coming out of a long, long relationship) are annoying to me. They either have the faux-emo personality (as Ryda explained) or they have a personality that doesn't mesh with mine:

Cynical, pessimistic, chain-smoking, nerd who can talk computer geek language and then shift into Feminist discourse in the time it takes to puff a Lucky Strike.

I'm looking for a *friend*, not a lover. Not a relationship. Just a buddy who meshes with me. You know the type. Not an aquaintance, not someone you met at a party and hang out in special occasions, but someone to go to movies with, come over and launch my old bookcases over the side of the roof (I'm moving, that's why I said it...I find it easier tossing stuff I don't want rather than maneuvering them down the conveluted steps).

Eh, maybe I shouldn't have ranted. This is going in typical Snopes fashion--rationalize the irrational. Emotional rationalization, make desire logical. Bah.

--------------------

Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
Confused about the winky face, because either you mean the comment or you don't.

I'm merely pointing out that you're thinking here is a little extreme. I tend to have extreme thinking too - but sometimes it's worth it to have someone point out that things are not that bad.

I apologize if my first post sounded snarky - but at this point you've asked for a lot of advice in several posts, I didn't think I had to sugarcoat my message.

The winky was to make sure you took my little jibe as non-essential. That I didn't necessarily mean "piss off." Winkies are supposed to mean that (get your head out of the gutter Ryda).

And I do think in extremes. I see nothing wrong with that in this case. Especially emotionally.

Please don't turn this into an analysis of emotional extremism being detrimental and linking it to terrorists. I'm not trying to do that at all.

My brain seems to function on a different plane than most Snopesters and it gets me in trouble.

--------------------

bthyb
WiFi Christmas

terrorists? [Confused]

thanks for clearing that up for me (other than the terrorists thing, which has me baffled).

i'll shut up now, now that i know your rants are actually rants and not requests for information or advice, as others on here can be.

--------------------

Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do you need one perfect buddy? If you got out into the world and did things that you found interesting you would probably meet people that you have some things in common with. They can be your friends for that activity. If you aren't looking for a mate, I think it is unneccessarily restrictive to look for a perfect buddy. Heck I think it is unneccessarily restrictive to look for a perfect fit in a mate too.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jingle Bell Hock

"Get it off your chest, you'll feel better"

That's the postscript to this forum. Maybe I'm taking it too literally.

Sorry for the terrorists thing, but I could see someone hijacking this and saying "extremist emotions lead to terrorist actions. For example, take the recent random shooting at the Safeway distribution warehouse in Denver. Extremist emotions."

That's not what I'm not talking about.

I'm not looking for advice, really--there are other places on the web for that. I'm just frustrated and was venting.

(queue the usual response "you're on a board full of skeptics so you should expect any post you make to be picked apart")

--------------------

Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
Why do you need one perfect buddy? If you got out into the world and did things that you found interesting you would probably meet people that you have some things in common with. They can be your friends for that activity. If you aren't looking for a mate, I think it is unneccessarily restrictive to look for a perfect buddy. Heck I think it is unneccessarily restrictive to look for a perfect fit in a mate too.

I'm not looking for a perfect fit for a friend or mate. I have my best friend--who isn't perfect.

I'm looking for the "good enough."

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually I don't think most of us are really offering advice. We're just puzzled as to why you are limiting yourself to trying to find a friend who matches such specific criteria. It's seems very self-defeating.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
Actually I don't think most of us are really offering advice. We're just puzzled as to why you are limiting yourself to trying to find a friend who matches such specific criteria. It's seems very self-defeating.

It is. It's how my brain works. I can't necessarily explain it.

I am restricting myself and it most likely is my own fault I'm frustrated.

Or I'm just not looking in the right places for people "like" me.

--------------------

Rhiandmoi

If you recognize that you are restricting yourself why not lift a few restrictions? Like the hair and glasses part? Especially if you are finding a lot of posers with the hair and glasses.
I will stop now, but I am a fixer. When people talk about their problems I assume they are looking for a solution. I will put a mental post-it next to your name that says "not interested in advice." I wonder if snopes and Barbara would be mad if we answered your rants with "uh huh" and "right, I hate that" and little nodding head smilies which is what you seem to want.

--------------------

What is .02 worth?

Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there's me..heh.. but I'm 18 so I do declare I'm out of your league.. And what's this about throwing a bookcase off a two story building? are you a riot-lovin anarchist?

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages