snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Neighbor Kid Taking up Bagpipes!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neighbor Kid Taking up Bagpipes!
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This isn't as bad as it might be, since I actually do love the bagpipes. Still, the poor wee lad is only the rawest beginner. He's just getting the hang of breathing and keeping the bag at a steady pressure. Right now, I'm listening to the drones kick in, then falter, then sound again.

I hope he stays the course, and learns 'em well. But, till he does, it is gonna be a mite difficult to live with.

Silas ("When on music's mighty pinions...")

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ooooh, boy. Bagpipes. You either love 'em or you hate 'em. I personally love them, but then again I've never heard them played badly. Hope you've got a good supply of tylenol handy.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the bagpipes. The problem is, they are so easy to play poorly. My sympathies until your neighbor learns how to play his!!

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
underfire and overrated
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for underfire and overrated     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a buddy who played bagpipes. He always told me the bagpipes have only one dynamic level and it is about forte fortisi-isi-isi-isimo. Of course, he was acutally good at it...

Sorry Silas!

-underfire

--------------------
I'm not a beautiful and unique snowflake! I am the all-singing all-dancing crap of the world.

Posts: 111 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ach, poor you! Best conditions for listening to the pipes involve a distance from the listener of at least 200 yards!

Have you already had to deal with him practising the chanter on its own?

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
Ach, poor you! Best conditions for listening to the pipes involve a distance from the listener of at least 200 yards!

Have you already had to deal with him practising the chanter on its own?

Aye...but that's comparatively mild, as if he were taking up the clarinet...

The local high school has a full-on pipe and drum troupe, and, though they're a couple of miles away, sometimes I can hear them thundering away.

I guess you can't support the arts without also supporting their rehearsal!

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"For $50.00 I will play the bagpipes; for $100.00 I will NOT play the bagpipes."

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, wow. I would have been all about that if my high school had something similar. Nothing is quite is stirring to me than a bunch of bagpipers piping and drummers drumming. How cool!

Unfortunately, I would guess that a bit of bad playing goes along with that...

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eeek. Just adding a bit more sympathy- and glad that he has a neighbor as patient as you. Tylenol vibes sent and hopes he gets a bit of mastery soon. I adore the pipes but the thought of badly played is a wee bit frightening!

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Silas, My neighbors will be saying the same thing in a few months. You and they should form a support group!

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Got_Fuzzy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Got_Fuzzy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A joke I heard somewhere, can't recall where: The Irish introduced bagpipes to the Scots. Eight hundred years later, the Scots still haven't gotten the joke.

Got-why yes, my dad does have a kilt in our clan tartan-Fuzzy

--------------------
You're an interesting man, Sergeant. You make enemies like a craftsman.

Posts: 45 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is my understanding that one has to practice the chanter for quite some time before one gets to use the rest.

My second thought was lucky you! I love bagpipes.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeowulfGirl
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeowulfGirl   E-mail BeowulfGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(embarrassed) I actually own The Tartan Top Twenty, and played it at nosebleed levels when I was still married (to a Scotsman). To this day I get misty-eyed when I hear a good rendition of "Amazing Grace."

--------------------
Please visit my blog and leave a comment! It's all pretty and pink and quite funny. Go here: http://beowulfgirl.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1790 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noysey
The Swordfish in the Stone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noysey   E-mail noysey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a neighbor who studied the bagpipes and he played a tune I have never known the name of but can never forget. He played it over and over but I don't remember it bothering me. It was done without the hum so I guess he was playing the chanter as Turquoise Girl suggests. I assume from the sound that it is a reed instrument with fingering like a song flute. I heard that he joined the army (US) and was made head of a bagpipe band, which the US army had never had before.

Later I lived in Lafayette, CA and there was a bagpipe band that would practise far enough away to have it coming over the hills and it was a real pleasure to hear. I can imagine a lot worse sounds than bagpipes coming from neighbors these days. Like the music where all you hear is the bass bomping along and you have to wonder what you are missing. Grrr.. [Mad]

Posts: 161 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer

quote:
Originally posted by noysey:
Later I lived in Lafayette, CA and there was a bagpipe band that would practise far enough away to have it coming over the hills and it was a real pleasure to hear. I can imagine a lot worse sounds than bagpipes coming from neighbors these days. Like the music where all you hear is the bass bomping along and you have to wonder what you are missing. Grrr.. [Mad]

Grin! Agreement about bomp-bomp bass!

One of the most exquisite, eerie, poignant, and soulful memories I have is of someone playing a solitary bagpipe in the distance, somewhere in Yosemite Valley, just after dark. I get shivers to my spine each time I remember it.

Silas

DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
It is my understanding that one has to practice the chanter for quite some time before one gets to use the rest.

This is true. However, once one has learned the basics from the chanter, one still has to learn to play the full pipes. It sounds like silas is experiencing an advanced student learn to play the full set.

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Silas .... {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} [Big Grin]

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are few sounds more unbearable than bagpipes played badly.

But oh! When they're played well, after years of experience by a seasoned professional piper...well, then...then, my friends, they sound marginally less unbearable.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to have a young man who played the bagpipes in the percussion section of my community band. He also played the bodran and some other traditional celtic instruments, I believe. There's not usually much call for bagpipes in most typical community band music but the conductor found a special medley with a bagpipe solo for him to play. He was having problems during rehearsal getting in on cue but at the concert he had it absolutely perfect!

I got to hear the Black Watch at the Fox Theatre when I was a child - it was incredible and I've loved the pipes ever since.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AQB, Max's DHB
Santa eBayby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AQB, Max's DHB     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
"For $50.00 I will play the bagpipes; for $100.00 I will NOT play the bagpipes."

What's the difference between a terrorist and a bagpiper? A terrorist has sympathizers.

In other news, one of the highlights of our 2005-2006 season was Orpheus Chamber Orchestra's performance of Peter Maxwell-Davies' An Orkney Wedding, with Sunrise, which ends with a bagpiper walking through the house and up the steps to the stage (he signifies the sunrise). The bagpiper was a Manhattan DA (not Jack McCoy) who looked quite nice in his kilt.

--------------------
"The Potato Festival will never be the same without Evelena." (from an obituary in the Charleston, WV, Gazette)

Posts: 215 | From: living here in Allentown, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Silas, I sympathize. I live in a 960 sq ft house with a jazz drummer. He's very good, but...did I mention the 960 sq ft house part? [lol]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sasquatch
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sasquatch   E-mail Sasquatch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew a guy in KC who was an architect and bagpipe player, was part of a whole troupe or whatever the polite word is for a group of bagpipers. For some reason, the owners of a new building thought it would be good for the piper group to march through the building playing, sort of a final test of the construction I guess. I can only imagine the volume of half a dozen pipers marching around inside an office building playing.

He said someone did ask if they could play any quieter, and he gives them the straight look and deadpan, "No. You could stand farther away."

Posts: 30 | From: Kansas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To this day I get misty-eyed when I hear a good rendition of "Amazing Grace."
No shame there: Amazing Grace has the same effect on me.

A student bought Mr Embra some CD compilation of tartanry once, and he would "pipe" the class in and out of lessons with Amazing Grace. Until they begged him to stop [Big Grin]

I think more people should learn lowland pipes of some variety. Much easier on the ear at close quarters!

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cousin took up the bagpipes, God save us all, and played them at my sister's wedding. I actually had rather high hopes for the event, since bagpipes played well can grow on you.

Nope. Sucked. I felt bad for my cousin for all the wincing faces.

I don't really think bagpipes should be played indoors under any circumstances, actually. The acoustics aren't quite right for an instrument like that.

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 24 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
This isn't as bad as it might be, since I actually do love the bagpipes. Still, the poor wee lad is only the rawest beginner. He's just getting the hang of breathing and keeping the bag at a steady pressure. Right now, I'm listening to the drones kick in, then falter, then sound again.

I hope he stays the course, and learns 'em well. But, till he does, it is gonna be a mite difficult to live with.

Silas ("When on music's mighty pinions...")

Are you sure he's not just torturing cats? 'Cause that would be better.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
quote:
To this day I get misty-eyed when I hear a good rendition of "Amazing Grace."
No shame there: Amazing Grace has the same effect on me.

That's the point. As a piper, I love to see tears when I play Amazing Grace. If you're not moved, I'm not doing it right - especially at a funeral.

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, i've heard Amazing Grace so many times, i can no longer stand the song. I actually have to change the channel if it begins on TV. At my funeral, anyone who bgins to play or sing Amazing Grace will be immediately removed.

It has become, for me, the most overused multipurpose generic "emotion" song ever.

I love the bagpipes though. Once, before an early morning football game (we played at a park which had a swamp and a ski hill, plus some other low hills) there was a piper playing. The cool thing was, it was a foggy morning, so you could barely see him standing at the top of one of the hills, and the fog obscured the buildings across the road, really isolating the area.

It was neat.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yleemjseg:
Unfortunately, i've heard Amazing Grace so many times, i can no longer stand the song. I actually have to change the channel if it begins on TV. At my funeral, anyone who bgins to play or sing Amazing Grace will be immediately removed.

"New Britain" (the tune usually associated with the poem "Amazing Grace") is one of the few tunes that can be performed in almost any style and still sound good. Jazz, Rock, Folk, Gospel, Classical, Pop or Country--a singer in any of those styles can carry it off. There are some tunes that if performed in a style different than what they were written sound DREADFUL. Think of the Country and Pop singers who try to do the Schubert AVE MARIA or Adam's O HOLY NIGHT for their Christmas albums; or, conversely, have you ever heard an opera singer trying to render a folk song? The effect is often like Marie Antoinette pretending to be a milkmaid.

The only other tune I can think of that is so versitile is "Silent Night".

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
quote:
Originally posted by Yleemjseg:

"New Britain" (the tune usually associated with the poem "Amazing Grace") is one of the few tunes that can be performed in almost any style and still sound good. Jazz, Rock, Folk, Gospel, Classical, Pop or Country--a singer in any of those styles can carry it off.
I respectfully dissagree. It can be performed in almost any style, but what stirs the emotion is the wail. The rising and dropping of the tone (we'll ignore the drone of a bagpipe for now). Rendering it in such a way as to make the song seems "happy" seems wrong to me.

quote:

There are some tunes that if performed in a style different than what they were written sound DREADFUL. Think of the Country and Pop singers who try to do the Schubert AVE MARIA or Adam's O HOLY NIGHT for their Christmas albums; or, conversely, have you ever heard an opera singer trying to render a folk song? The effect is often like Marie Antoinette pretending to be a milkmaid.

The only other tune I can think of that is so versitile is "Silent Night".

One on my pet peeves is hearing The Star Spangled Banner sung differently. It just sounds wrong and usually bad to bed.

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages