snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Oh yeah we're CLOSE friends alright

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh yeah we're CLOSE friends alright
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh, just got off the phone with a "friend" of mine who had the nerve to call to tell me off for not letting them know my husband was back in town week before last. Um, yeah, ok. I haven't heard from this woman in months and suddenly I'm supposed to make sure I call and schedule some time with them during the short short week when my husband is back? I really don't think so. But, gee, thanks for calling me up and trying to ruin my Sunday evening by guilting me out.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One word... TROUBLEMAKER. Don't let her get to you.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Christie, I'd make sure to give her a call to have her over...the next time you are packing. Then she can visit you and pack. Win-win. [Cool]

Seriously, what a toad!

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My response to such things is to send mind-numbingly boring e-mails, detailing absolutely everything I do in a given day, including not only what I had for lunch but what the friends I ate with had as well, and maybe the color of the clothes they were wearing. It doesn't usually get the point across (honestly, does anything do that with people like that?), but it always makes me feel quite a bit better.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh I like the way your minds work [Big Grin] .

What has me really ticked off is that it's pretty clear she doesn't want to socialize with *me*. I'm only worthy of her time when I'm part of a couple. Sheesh. Doesn't that just make you feel all warm and wanted? Not.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, great! More people, more boxes to be filled. Wild thought: send all the emails, then ask her over. Commence with asking 'did you get my email about?' and recap every boring detail.

Make sure the first visit includes the most difficult things to pack. I have a feeling she won't be so involved after the first packing session.

--------------------

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
Ooh I like the way your minds work [Big Grin] .

What has me really ticked off is that it's pretty clear she doesn't want to socialize with *me*. I'm only worthy of her time when I'm part of a couple. Sheesh. Doesn't that just make you feel all warm and wanted? Not.

Oooooh, that annoys me EVEN MORE.

Seriously, it does.

That's just so flaming rude, I mean, if I had a friend-couple, and the Mr. part of the couple was away on business? I'd be calling the Mrs. part of the couple to see if she wanted to go for coffee, or to lunch, or just hang and talk.

To only call you and be interested in hanging with you when you're part of a couple? Oh hell no, that's so bloody rude.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
Ugh, just got off the phone with a "friend" of mine who had the nerve to call to tell me off for not letting them know my husband was back in town week before last.

Christie, you're just too nice. I'm sitting here trying to figure out why you didn't respond "and what business is that of yours?"

I mean, husband back after weeks away? Why would you want to socialize with anyone other than your family? All NFBSK aside, even. [Wink]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Gee, I would have called you, but he was only here a week, and every minute he wasn't with the kids, we were NFBSKing."

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bingo! I mean, come on, my dad was in the Navy and we kids learned at a very early age that when he came home, we'd get the requisite hugs and give him updates and get prezzies and then he and Mom mysteriously disappeared into their bedroom for a while (we also learned at an early age that closed doors meant knock and wait for permision to enter) and we kids were encouraged to play with our new toys or watch TV or something....they were "unpacking his suitcase." [Wink]

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeowulfGirl
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeowulfGirl   E-mail BeowulfGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm only worthy of her time when I'm part of a couple.
Oh, Christie, I understand. When I got divorced, I lost about 75% of my "friends" who either couldn't handle me without my ex-husband as a buffer (I'm "too intense"), or couldn't bring themselves to be social with me on my own (I threaten the "couple continuity.") Either way, I found out who my real friends were really fast. [Frown]

--------------------
Please visit my blog and leave a comment! It's all pretty and pink and quite funny. Go here: http://beowulfgirl.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1790 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Hmm, you know, I guess if he would have wanted you to know he was in town, he would have told you HIMSELF."

Sheesh, what does she think you are, his social secretary? Because she's treating you a lot more like office help than a real friend. I'd drop that one pretty quick.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vicious
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vicious     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And you need this person in your life why exactly ???

--------------------
lOoK aT yOuR SoCiAl ProBlEm.

Posts: 23 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boss gave me a great idea for dealing with such people.

When they do something like this, show them a red card and send them off. Less egregious infractions can be dealt with using a yellow card. But two of those is enough for a sendoff.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
"Gee, I would have called you, but he was only here a week, and every minute he wasn't with the kids, we were NFBSKing."

[lol] As the parents of older teens we've finally figured out why parents start pushing their kids out the door (which, when the kids were younger I just could not understand). Now I understand. Older teens/young adults Do Not Sleep. They are awake long after we go to bed. Did I mention our bedroom is right over the family room?

Let's just say if we want to, ahem, have a full and happy marriage [Wink] , the sooner I move over to England OR our kids move out, the better.

quote:
Originally posted by BeowulfGirl:
quote:
I'm only worthy of her time when I'm part of a couple.
Oh, Christie, I understand. When I got divorced, I lost about 75% of my "friends" who either couldn't handle me without my ex-husband as a buffer (I'm "too intense"), or couldn't bring themselves to be social with me on my own (I threaten the "couple continuity.") Either way, I found out who my real friends were really fast. [Frown]
I've definitely found that as well, and not just with this particular woman. This experience is giving me a little taste of what life can be like for divorced or widowed women. I wonder if the same thing happens to men?

--------------------

Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure it does, for the ones who are hanging onto the couples' friendship because they really only like the female.

Two things: first, I'm thinking of that James Taylor song with lyrics of "she gets the house with the garden, he gets the boys in the band." Anybody know the name of that song? I can't get anything from looking through lyrics for 10 minutes... Another thought, I hope we never get divorced. DH's best friend is married to my best friend. That would be dicey, at best.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages