snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Another Post Office (and Myself) Rant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Post Office (and Myself) Rant
ThornyWreath
Happy Holly Days

Icon 208 posted      Profile for ThornyWreath   E-mail ThornyWreath   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in Tennessee. My bank is in Alaska. Sometimes, I have to mail checks there. Last month I used Priority Mail service plus Delivery Confirmation. I mailed it on a Thursday afternoon. Saturday of the NEXT WEEK they attempted delivery and, of course, the bank was closed. It got delivered Monday. If we count the fact that they at least attempted delivery on Saturday, it took NINE DAYS to get there. If we take out Sunday, that's still EIGHT DAYS. Of course, the Post Office doesn't guarantee Priority Mail, but they strongly suggest that it takes three days to get to Alaska from Tennessee. Regular mail would have been faster.

So, today, I had another check to mail. I decided to use Delivery Confirmation without Priority Mail. I checked the USPS website to see if I could use regular mail, but I failed to comprehend the plethora of possibilities. I mis-read the options. I could send a parcel less than 16 ounces, but not an envelope, unless it's at least 3/4" thick. Grah!

I ended up paying for Priority Mail anyway and being grouchy with the clerk. I apologized, but he was nice to me, and said he could understand my situation. That made me grouchy and mad at myself. Oh well--at least I feel better after typing this out.

GrouchyRose

--------------------
A little glitter can turn your whole day around.--Junie B. Jones

Engine 3:16

Posts: 1456 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you suggested getting a bank in the same state where you live? Can you make deposits via ATM? I step into my credit union about once a year on average and never mail them anything.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I too would suggest to get at an account at a local bank.

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThornyWreath
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThornyWreath   E-mail ThornyWreath   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, a local bank is what I need. I've been putting it off, but it's getting really aggravating. I can't do ATM deposits with my current bank, because there aren't any that service my bank within driving distance. Now, I just need to drag my husband down to a bank with me--that's the real challenge.

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does the bank you're at offer online transfers? Perhaps if you opened an account in your name only where you're at, you could keep the old bank by electronically transferring funds from one to the other.

I'm not sure if it would work, but it might be worth looking into. Any service fees would probably have to be cheaper than mailing checks.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know what you're saying about the P.O. I sent a job application via Priority Mail with delivery confirmation to a city about 2 hours from here and it was a week before I got the confirmation slip back. It looked like it took about 4 days to get there. That seems an excessive amount of time to deliver something 3 counties away.

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a similar issue. We did our banking with CalFed, which was recently bought out by Citibank. After moving to PA, the closest Citibank branch was in Suffern, NY--nearly 2 hour drive away! I have been begging hubby to get an account with a local bank, but he has all kinds of rationalizations about the hassle involved and different banks have policies about minimum balances and whatnot... also CalFed had all kinds of perks that were kind of grandfathered when Citibank bought them out, and those are perks not to be found at other banks, etc. Oy. There's just no getting through to him. I mean, he does see the benefit of driving 2 minutes versus 2 HOURS to the bank, but that convenience doesn't seem to outweigh the hassle that he believes it will be. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThornyWreath
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThornyWreath   E-mail ThornyWreath   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After reading Auntie Witch's reply, I realized something--this is all my husband's fault [Mad] The check in question is from an allotment that he failed to stop, even after I gathered all the paperwork for him. The check is in his name, which means I can't cash it, unless he gives me power of attorney, which he says "I don't really need." He opened a local bank account--in his name--which he doesn't even use. Quite frankly, I handle the money, because the man is a soup sandwich when it comes to finances. So, Purple Iguana, I feel your pain.

--------------------

bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents sent me something by priority mail from Maryland on June 5. It arrived in my mailbox in California on June 20.

My fiance and I are both waiting for checks from New Jersey that should have been sent on June 9.

So I know where you're coming from. I'm extremely frustrated and losing sleep over this.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You should look in to joining a credit union:

http://www.creditunion.coop/cu_locator/index.html

Most credit unions have service agreements with each other, which means you can conduct business with your credit union from an entirely different credit union. And you can use any ATM with the COOP symbol, without a fee (to my knowledge)anywhere in the country.

FWIW: "A credit union is a cooperative financial institution, owned and controlled by the people who use its services. These people are members. Credit unions serve groups that share something in common, such as where they work, live, or go to church. Credit unions are not-for-profit, and exist to provide a safe, convenient place for members to save money and to get loans at reasonable rates."

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages