snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Why I hate church (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why I hate church
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
About the UU church - at the age of 63, my dyed in the wool, hardcore athiest aunt, has found a UU church and she just LOVES it. She's now officially a "church lady", she's there every time they unlock the door.

And still doesn't believe in God in any way at all. [Big Grin]

She says, "UU are where athiests take their children to sunday school."

Heh. There's a lid for every pot, you just have to find it.

eta spelling

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lynnejanet:
I was impressed this Father's Day when our intentions as Mass included prayers for all step-fathers and father-figures, and prayers for all those who had been hurt by their fathers or father figures. There were also prayers for those struggling to become better fathers.

Excellent!

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:

I actually kind of like the Orthodox Churches but much of their services aren't in English. Also they are way overly superstitious. The moment they bring out a "relic" or explain why communion bread won't mold the kid will be lost. Ok, he did skeptic fuctions before church ones. I actually started him on Sunday school to get him used to classroom structure more than anything.

Well, I live in the bible belt too and I certainly can see your point about "clones" out here - the church I found, that I like so much, is Anglican. (Or Episcopal) I don't know what you like about the Orthodox service but if it's the liturgy itself, you'd probably like the Anglican church too.

Of course they are going to be different from one another also, like any other denomination, but it's not a fundamentalist church and tends to be open, in fact encouraging, to critical thinking.

I don't know where you are, but there are a lot of Orthodox churches whose services are mostly in English; I sang in the choir of one once.

I would second trying an Episcopal/Anglican one, too. After all, we just elected a woman as our new Presiding Bishop.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
lynnejanet, my son has been exposed to Arrogant Worms (can't believe anyone on this board has heard of them).

I performed Johnny Came Home Headless and Drink With Me virtually every weekend for the past five weeks. Jesus Brother Bob got me in a lot of trouble with management because they were afraid it would offend a lot of the rural Virginia patrons (though nobody could explain to me what about the song would offend them). I eventually got permission to try out Jesus Brother Bob, under the condition that the song would be pulled if people walked out or complained. Obviously, neither happened, and performed it for most of the run as well.

buf 'will add the Gaelic Song as soon as I learn to play and talk at the same time' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
NG has a point. What the church is doing may be thoughtless in the literal sense, in other words, it simply hasn't occurred to them that there might be a problem with their attitude. They'll never learn if Chimera doesn't talk to them about it.

If she does, and if they are unwilling/unable to understand, she will have done all she can.

I don't always go into details but everyone my son encounters knows there are problems. I pass copies of parental termination (and before that DSS adjudication papers) out like candy at Halloween... and the guy is still in prision.

When bio ex-dad gets out more people will know. Heck even Montell (sp?) wants me on his show (well, actually I think its Angie something that calls) and I'm thinking about doing it. It ain't something I'm proud of but if I think my speaking out will keep my boy safer then I'll scream from the roof tops.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
NG has a point. What the church is doing may be thoughtless in the literal sense, in other words, it simply hasn't occurred to them that there might be a problem with their attitude. They'll never learn if Chimera doesn't talk to them about it.

If she does, and if they are unwilling/unable to understand, she will have done all she can.

I don't always go into details but everyone my son encounters knows there are problems. I pass copies of parental termination (and before that DSS adjudication papers) out like candy at Halloween... and the guy is still in prision.

When bio ex-dad gets out more people will know. Heck even Montell (sp?) wants me on his show (well, actually I think its Angie something that calls) and I'm thinking about doing it. It ain't something I'm proud of but if I think my speaking out will keep my boy safer then I'll scream from the roof tops.

Not just your boy, but others as well. Awareness (well, not when is causes irrational panic) is a good thing.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: In the Honey:
[...] It's what some people do to prevent kids from feeling unloved or alienated. It's not them trying to BS that the world is a perfect place. He's a child. She seems to have a problem with this, but there are a lot of people who would raise hell if their child were told, true or not, that their father didn't care about them, so father's day is pointless to them.

I have to agree with her, though. I mean, I accept that they have certain beliefs but I don't see how they would reconcile those belifs with lying just to make a child feel better. But I guess I get what you're saying now: to some people, not telling a child that everyone has a loving father would be the same as telling those who don't have a father around that he hates them... (I'm sure to you it's not lying. I just disagree.)
No, to me, it is lying. I'm just saying that I don't think they're bad people because of it, shortsighted, yes, overly willing to try to shield children from reality, yes, but not decietful with any malicious intent. They just don't know any better.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bringing back a photo from the 'archives': Proof that I know Episcopalians http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v136/River/?action=view¤t=guest.jpg . That's a female priest a male priest and a female deacon at one of my kid's parties wearing balloon hats. Not only do I know balloon artist, I also know clergy

They are great, wonderful people but they are just a little too liberal for my "religious" taste. Although it is fun to see them in balloon hats and its comforting to turn to them in times of need. As I said, they are wonderful people, I just don't care for the faith.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by infoseeker822:
you go there to listen to some guy tell you about how much you're going to hell.

Sorry, that just made me giggle. I have this image in my head of the pastor yelling "Jimmy, you're going to hell! Susie, you're going to hell, too! And Carl, you're going a LOT to hell!"

--------------------
"But what of the golden spider-duck and the squat crimson pig?"

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

quote:
Bringing back a photo from the 'archives': Proof that I know Episcopalians http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v136/River/?action=view¤t=guest.jpg . That's a female priest a male priest and a female deacon at one of my kid's parties wearing balloon hats. Not only do I know balloon artist, I also know clergy

They are great, wonderful people but they are just a little too liberal for my "religious" taste.

Again, it depends. Compared to most churches out here, ours is somewhat more liberal, but being as how this IS the south, there are plenty of W stickers on the cars. (in fact, my only complaint about my church is that it's too conservative for me. However, it is the least conservative option in this town.)

I'm curious as to exactly how you define "liberal" and "conservative" in this context, however? What sort of thinking, exactly, ARE you looking for, specifically?

--------------------

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chimera, I am so sorry that your son went through this. I really, really am. Good luck with the upcoming events.

ETA because I experienced premature posting: UU churches are not solely agnostic/aethiest. And if Chimera was uncomfortable with the religious liberality of Episcopals, I think she will be similarly dismayed at most UU churches.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages