snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » A Catholic WHAT?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Catholic WHAT?
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...a Catholic Directive. That's what our Humana HMO (yeah, don't get me started about THAT, either)has attached to it. Not the entire HMO, mind...just OUR 'group'.

{WARNING...rough language ahead...}

What the hell is a Catholic Directive, you ask? Well--and you may want to take a seat for this--it means that my doctor cannot prescribe or perform procedures that go against the Catholic church and charge them to our insurance.

I am not eloquent enough, I'm afraid, or have enough OMG!!111!!!11's to adequately express my INTENSE AND UTTER SHOCK/HORROR/DISGUST at this.

What does this mean? It means that Wifey cannot be prescribed birth control pills or have a sterilization procedure. It means I can't get a vasectomy and have the insurance pay for it.

I am now jumping through hoops, un-returned phone call after un-returned phone call, to get our HMO case manager to allow us coverage for such matters. My last phone call ended with me telling the person on the other end that "I don't give a F-NFBSK what the Pope has to say about it...I don't want any more kids!They're MY balls, not his!"

...needless to say, I don't expect that went as smoothly as it could have [Smile]

A Catholic Directive, to me, should be a HUGE disclaimer at the FRONT of the big-ass book that we got concerning our coverage. I have to wonder if this is TRULY a religious thing...some employers or people REALLY want this...or if it's simply a loophole for the insurance company to get out of paying for some things...bastards.

You know, if I wanted to put my health in the hands of G-d in the first place, then I wouldn't even BUY insurance... [Mad] Someone's going to pay for this and I have the sinking feeling that it's going to be me [Smile]

Dog--I'm getting that ol' litigious feelin' again--water

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You've got a tough row to hoe, there. I think your only option will be shifting to a new plan.
Still, could be worse--it could be a Jehovah's Witness directive, or from Church of Christ, Scientist.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jobediah
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jobediah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jobediah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My health insurer wouldn't even cover the one little trip to my doctor for a checkup that I took when, you know, I had to crawl to bed at night on all fours because of arthritis.

Here is a religious directive for them, EAT THE RICH.

Posts: 30 | From: Oakland, California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
You've got a tough row to hoe, there. I think your only option will be shifting to a new plan.
Still, could be worse--it could be a Jehovah's Witness directive, or from Church of Christ, Scientist.

Actually, one way or the other, we will be. The insurance is through my wife's company and even THEY didn't know what a mess the plan is. They plan on going with a new plan this summer.

Some other factors in our life now may mean that my wife will be leaving the 'corporate' world, and then we will be self-insured...either way, like I said, there is a new policy around the corner.

I think the thing that angers me the most is that this is a rather big caveat in the plan but seems to have been burried out of obvious sight in the 'rules'.

In the end, your right, we need a new policy. However, it's the principle of the thing (and ain't it always?).

--------------------

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trust me, you don't have to sell me on that concept... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jobediah:

The poor are both more numerous and generally more lean. They are therefore a better food source. [lol]

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What does this mean? It means that Wifey cannot be prescribed birth control pills or have a sterilization procedure.
My mom used to work for a Catholic Dioceses, and this come up in conversation. She looked up the insurance policy offered by the Dioceses and found this loophole: Birth control pills may be covered if they are prescribed for medical reasons other than birth control. Certain sterlization proceadures may also be covered, if they are for medical reasons other than birth control.

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dogwater, I am a little confused. Does your post mean that you (or your wife, whoever has the job that gets the insurance) work for the Catholic church?

The reason I ask is that I work for the Lutheran Church (LCMS) and my insurance has a similar policy.. i.e any procedures that are not in harmony with the Church's teachings wouldn't be covered. So, for example, my insurance most likely wouldn't pay for an abortion, since our church has an "offical stance" against it.

Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 24K_Kate:
quote:
What does this mean? It means that Wifey cannot be prescribed birth control pills or have a sterilization procedure.
My mom used to work for a Catholic Dioceses, and this come up in conversation. She looked up the insurance policy offered by the Dioceses and found this loophole: Birth control pills may be covered if they are prescribed for medical reasons other than birth control. Certain sterlization proceadures may also be covered, if they are for medical reasons other than birth control.
It's terrible to say you've got to be sneaky about it, but this may be a way out. Find a doctor that will work with you. The line, "My cramps were unbearable until I started the Pill" may be useful in this instance.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jobediah:

"The poor you will always have with you."

Matthew 26:11

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simply
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for simply     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sil works for a catholic hospital, and she was majorly peeved because she couldn't get hormonal birth control or sterilization for either her or my brother through her insurance.

She's religious, just not Catholic (they are Baptists). She's all for religion coming up, so long as its the right one.

--------------------
simply

Posts: 151 | From: Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piyokochan
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piyokochan   E-mail piyokochan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Be thankful it's not, like, a Scientology Directive.

I don't even want to think about what THAT would be like. [Eek!]

--------------------
"Shakespeare and Dante divide the world between them. There is no third." - T. S. Eliot

Posts: 77 | From: New Milford, CT | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:

Church of Christ, Scientist: Basic HMO Plan

Coverage:
We will pay benefits to the insured for treatment from recognized Mind-physicians.

Exclusions:
Benefits may be denied if the insured seeks treatment from other parties not covered under this plan.
[fish]

Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*shrugs* I've worked for a Catholic NPO for about a decade now. Birth control isn't covered under my employer's medical plans, either, but that's what I expected when I took the job.

Luckily, my husband's employer does cover it.

ETA: Why the heck did I say "a decade"? It's only been seven years. Duh. [fish]

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's crazy. I work for a Catholic school system, and our policy covers the same things that other policies cover. I never even realized that there were such differences in insurance coverage.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by violetbon:
Dogwater, I am a little confused. Does your post mean that you (or your wife, whoever has the job that gets the insurance) work for the Catholic church?

The reason I ask is that I work for the Lutheran Church (LCMS) and my insurance has a similar policy.. i.e any procedures that are not in harmony with the Church's teachings wouldn't be covered. So, for example, my insurance most likely wouldn't pay for an abortion, since our church has an "offical stance" against it.

Well, no she doesn't. I can only assume that the HR person (who is directly in charge of researching and setting up the employees on the "best"--read:cheapest--plan)got them all stuck with an inappropriate plan.

The good news is that there is a way around it -- I need to get approval from the policy's case manager -- again, if I can ever get a returned cll.

Guess I'm buying condoms for a while. Or, do we have to use the rhythm method? [Smile]

--------------------

Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked for a company that had chosen the Catholic Directive option. The branch manager and his wife (who had entirely too much power for a "secretary") didn't approve of birth control and decided that they would choose the Catholic option.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Dogwater, there's always Planned Parenthood for reasonably priced access to bc pills. Of course your plan should cover them, but shelling out a bit now beats the alternative.

--------------------

Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's crazy. I work for a Catholic school system, and our policy covers the same things that other policies cover. I never even realized that there were such differences in insurance coverage.
Ditto...unbelievable.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just find it hard to believe that something meant for your health, and paid for by you (benifits, remember the word? Not to mention co-payments, etc.?) can be played with by someone based on their religion. It just seems so wild. Isn't that along the lines of denying treatment/services based on religion?

What would the FSM do?

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwater:
I have to wonder if this is TRULY a religious thing...some employers or people REALLY want this...or if it's simply a loophole for the insurance company to get out of paying for some things...

It seems like any financial benefit would be lost to prenatal plans and delivery fees. [Roll Eyes]

I think you're right that your wife's company just chose the wrong plan. But the idea of asking for BC pills to relieve PMS is a good one until you can get onto another insurance plan.

You can't be insured through your work, instead?

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Biggles
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biggles   E-mail Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Really odd. My wife is Catholic so we did pre-marriage education (which was good, even for atheist like me) & my brother-in-law is a priest. Our family doctor is also Catholic.

I believe that short of abortion (and the pill can come into this), the Catholic church pretty much leaves it over to the individual choice for any other contraception.

Certainly no-one seemed to mind, when I got the snip a couple of years back.

Certainly makes me very glad to have a decent public health system here in NZ, (backed up by some private health insurance in my case [Wink] ). From what I recall getting the chop cost me less than visit to the dentist.. and you only have to go once .

Posts: 83 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages