snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Some advice please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some advice please
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 15 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure where to put this, but I guess it sort of falls under a rant.

My eldest brother (lets call him M) is getting married in October to a girl that he's been dating for at least 2 years (they've known each other longer, since they worked together when they first met). Everyone in the family is excited about it. she is a really nice girl and everyone loves her son. We've been planning this wedding for about a year by the time the wedding is all done and over with.

Anyway, here's the problem. My 3rd oldest brother(he'll be called S), will probably cause a big problem. See he got married last August to a girl he only knew for 3 months and met at the mental ward when he was having one of his episodes (he's bipolar and has phsycosis). After dating for 3 months, they decided to get married (this was about early July), and told everyone that it was going to be the first week of August. So we didn't have alot of time to do a really nice wedding for him. Plus her side of the family didn't even help with the wedding (I guess her family was really messed up).

What I'm worried about is S is going to start throwing fits about M's wedding being better than his, even though we did try our best with his, S's, wedding with such sort notice. Plus with M's wedding, the bride's parents are helping out alot. With S's mental disorters, its hard for him to understand that we tried our best for him. (He does this alot, he always go on about how this sibling gets more things or money than he does, etc). [flame] I just dont want M's wedding to be ruined because of S being jealous.

any advice?

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
graceless
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for graceless   E-mail graceless   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
no advice but i am sending good vibes. good luck.

--------------------
If you do not stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 7 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I wouldn't say anything at first, and just hope all goes well. But if S does get jealous and makes a fuss before the wedding, someone should sit him down (metaphorically) and explain the whole situation to him. How old is he, by the way? Hopefully he'll understand. If not, then at the very least he might agree to have the decency not to say anything while the wedding is going on.

*vibes* from me, too.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
S is 23. We can try to talk to him about it. He'll probably be able to keep his mouth shut during the wedding, but I'm not sure about the reception, especailly if no one is paying attention to how much he's drinking (he has a drinking problem and I believe they plan to have an open bar).

--------------------

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps if he starts making noise about unfairness, someone should watch his drinking.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Luckly brother number 4's girlfriend will be doing the bar for this wedding, so it may not be a problem, hopefully.

--------------------

Miles Invictus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Invictus   E-mail Miles Invictus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If he has a drinking problem, it might not be a bad idea to keep him from the bar in the first place. Nothing overt, mind you, but you might be able to keep him busy enough that he can't get away for more than a drink at a time. With luck, that'll let him keep control of himself long enough to prevent any antisocial behavior from dominating the event.
Posts: 236 | From: Iowa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages