snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Why even bother having AAA? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why even bother having AAA?
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 302 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so frustrated right now, I swear I could just scream.

I was getting ready for work this morning. I was already out the door, baby in his car seat, getting a blanket out of the front seat. That's when I noticed that my rear passenger side tire was flat. Great.

So I call pinqy because I don't have AAA but he does. He gets me put on his membership and I call AAA. First they say I'm not on there. Then after being on hold forever they drop the damn call. I call back. Same thing...they can't find me and put me on hold. Finally, after forever, she comes back on the line and starts getting all my information. I tell her that I don't have a spare. Two seconds later "You've got a good spare, right?" [dunce] Hello, McFly! I just said I don't. Dumas. So I say no, that I don't have a spare. She says they don't fix tires. They can only do it if you have a spare. So already I'm thinking, what's the point of that? I know how to change a tire for christ's sake. Then she says they can tow me. Ok. But they can only tow me 3 miles. WTF?! 3 miles? What if I live in the middle of nowhere? And what about my case where there are no places to get my tire fixed within 3 miles. So I'd have to pay anyway. Again...WTF? With all of this crap, I could have just called a bloody tow truck!

Then the more I think about it, the more irritated I become. The whole reason I wanted AAA to do this in the first place was that my son is with me. I can't very well have him towed anywhere, now can I? It's not like they'll have a carseat for him.

So now I'm stuck. I have no idea what to do. I need to get to work. I need to get my son to daycare, and most of all, I need to get my flat fixed.

At this point, I'm considering walking the baby to daycare in his stroller and then walking back home, then calling a tow-truck.

But really, what is the point of AAA? Aside from travelling stuff,they don't seem to be much help in the case of a car problem. Talk about frustration. [Mad]

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can get extended service (which costs more, of course) that will give you a tow up to 100 miles. Since I live about 40 miles from work, I've gotten the extended service for years.

I'm really sorry about your difficulty; I know how frustrating that is, especially with the baby in tow. But if you don't have a spare, it would be kinda hard for the tow truck driver to buy a tire and put it on. He'd have to know what kind of car you have, what type the other tires are, etc. And what if he gets it from somplace that you feel is too expensive? I know that would irritate me greatly.

I hope by the time you see this you've gotten the problem solved and I really hope your day improves!

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have AAA Plus which will tow you up to 100 miles IIRC. It might be less now. I've had to be towed 97 miles once so I got my money's worth that year. Another year my car was towed three times. (Two of the times I got he same driver and I was wearing the same suit.)

AAA isn't the only game in town anymore. You might have emergency service through whoever you bought your car from or with your cell phone.

As irritated as you are Ali remember that you were the one who assumed they fixed tires. Also, why don't you have a spare?

Hugs, and I hope it all works out.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ali, I'm sorry you had such a rough morning.

quote:
Originally posted by Aud:
AAA isn't the only game in town anymore. You might have emergency service through whoever you bought your car from or with your cell phone.

Or through your car insurance.

quote:
So already I'm thinking, what's the point of that? I know how to change a tire for christ's sake.
It's good to know how to change a tire, but doing it yourself isn't always the best option -- that's another reason to have roadside assistance. My tire once went flat on I-270 at rush hour, in a place where it wasn't possible to get very far off the road. It was much safer for the pro to change it than it would have been for me to do it. He does it all the time and can do it a lot quicker; he's used to working around traffic; and he's wearing a high-visibility fluorescent jumpsuit.

For the record, I don't think you're going to find a roadside assistance plan that can help you if you don't have a spare, for the reasons quiltsbypam listed above.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lexiemom
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexiemom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, it actually is helpful for the towing, even if it is only 3 miles, because the company that's towing doesn't charge the base fee, just the mileage over the covered 3. I got my car towed over the three miles using AAA and it still only cost me about $10, where the base fee alone was well over $60. Sorry you're having such a bad day. BTDT w/ a flat tire (I have the worst luck w/ flats) and it pretty much always sucks!

Edited for clarification.

Posts: 16 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I've had roadside service where they could fix the tire right there. I didn't have a blow out, the tire's just flat. If it's a small leak then they can fix it with a small kit in less than 15 minutes. That's what I thought they could do. I certainly don't expect them to buy me a new tire and replace it for me. Not sure where anyone got that impression.

I'm surprised that there's nothing in between 3 miles and 100 miles.

And for the record, I just got put onto pinqy's AAA this morning. When I lived in Pittsburgh it was never a problem to get my tires fixed, so this is pretty new to me. The service I had there was able to get me fixed up in no time.

The reason I don't have a spare is that I needed to replace a tire not that long ago. Pinqy changed the tire for me, using the spare. So we didn't need AAA to do it then.

So it's not that I just didn't want to shell out the money for the extra AAA service. It wasn't mine to begin with. Pinqy had what he had and added me this morning. Obviously from now on we'll have to figure out a better plan.

Now I'm off to walk my son to daycare since the only solution we've gotten so far is to get towed by someone else and I'm not comfortable having my son stuffed into a tow-truck where his carseat may or may not fit.

--------------------

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, what a sucky way to start the day! Sorry, Ali & babe!

I hear ya on the "what's the point?" of AAA. I was aware of the limitations, though. I only have AAA membership because I have AAA insurance and so therefore must have a membership. The only time I've ever had to call them was when my (then 2 y.o.) son wandered up to the front of my van and turned on the headlights when we got home one morning, so my battery was dead that afternoon. I could have jumpstarted it myself, but the way I was parked required extra long cables I didn't have. Neither did the towtruck driver, but he was brave enough to connect 2 sets together - well beyond my knowledge & fears of electrical stuff!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Para
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Para     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope you get a new spare or a new tire soon, Ali. That'll make it easier on everyone if you have problem. I've never had AAA, but I've got Roadside Assist from both my insurer and my cell phone company. The phone coverage is very cheap, and I like having an extra service to fall back on if there's a problem with the first one. I've only had that happen once, but it was worth the extra expense to have it.

--------------------
"But what of the golden spider-duck and the squat crimson pig?"

Posts: 425 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitten in the rain
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitten in the rain     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have AAA extended, and it has saved my life more than once. I've had my car die, I've been in cars that died, etc. It's really nice in that it doesn't matter whose car it is, so long as I'm there. A lot of my friends have unreliable cars, so I'm pretty popular with the 100 mile towing deal. (Plus, I don't get stuck out in the middle of nowhere.)

Ali, you're not still driving on your spare, are you? Spares (or at least the one I have in my car) aren't meant to be driven on for a long period of time. They're for getting you to the tire place.

Posts: 533 | From: Davis, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually only have to call AAA when I lock my keys in the car. This happens at least 2-3 times a year. I call the renewal fee my stupid tax because I feel that I get my money's worth.

That and I usually find lots of ways to take advantage of the discounts offered through the card.

Sorry you're having problems. I suggest calling back and asking for a supervisor. They're bound to get this resolved without further problems.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get my money's worth out of AAA Gold (is that the same as extended? I think so) from their travel services alone. Any time we travel I load up on maps and guide books. They also do passport photos for free so that right there earned back the fee.

Of course I have called them for car stuff. They gave me a jump once when my battery blew up and they changed a tire when I ran over a screw. In my driveway. The car was in my garage when they changed it. I felt like a fool for not trying to do it ourselves but my husband was like "why do you think we pay for AAA in the first place, just call them and make them do it." And they did. [Smile]

Of course I'm blessed with having great roadside service here. Not at all like in DC when it would take hours to arrive and they were all surly about it. Both times I needed them they turned up in 10 minutes and happily got me on my way.

Gibbie

eta: Ok, I'm dumb. I do have AAA Plus. The card is gold, it's not called that. [Smile]

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to second Kitten here. Unless your car is pretty old, the spare tire is not the same as a regular tire.

The spare is *not* supposed to be used like a regular tire, it's much smaller and lighter. This is to improve gas mileage, by reducing the weight you normally carry around. That's also why you aren't supposed to drive above about 40 mph (64 kph) on them, since they rotate faster than the tire on the other side, which will have a larger diameter. This does things to the suspension that it wasn't designed to cope with.

Dog (No automotive genius, but I did listen to the salesman) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And Otaku makes another good point. AAA discounts are everywhere! I'm sure I've made back the AAA-plus membership fee every year in discounts.

Dog (Do they have SouPlantation restaurants where you are?) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used AAA quite a bit for restarting dead batteries, towing and tire changing. I have a spare tire and do know how to change it, but don't really trust my strength to jack up the truck.

What I really like about AAA is the security when I'm traveling and wouldn't know who to call in a strange area.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Friendly:
And Otaku makes another good point. AAA discounts are everywhere! I'm sure I've made back the AAA-plus membership fee every year in discounts.

Dog (Do they have SouPlantation restaurants where you are?) Friendly

SouPlantation! I drooling on my desk now <*Heavy Sigh* [Frown] > Sometimes I miss Southern Cal...[/hijack]

Wicked [Cool] T.

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When my car died 12 miles out of Baker, CA on the way to Vegas, and AAA towed me 98 miles into Vegas so I could still enjoy my weekend, that made up for at least 5 years of fees. Imagine what that would have cost if I'd had to pay.

I use the AAA discount on hotels all the time as well. Don't use their maps so much anymore now that I've got GPS, but their travel guides give useful information on hotels and restaurants when I'm going someplace new.

ETA -- I forgot to mention that when my car died on the way to Vegas, I knew that the O2 sensor had gone out. The mechanic there proceeded to keep my car for 3 weeks and completely disassemble my car even though I specifically asked him to check the O2 sensor. He planned on billing me over $1200 just for diagnostics when I called AAA and sent the Auto Club Tony Soprano to pay him a visit (after all, it was AAA who had brought me to this guy). The next day, my car was ready, the bill was in the $600 range, and when I went back to Vegas to get it (Damn! I had to take an extra trip to Vegas!), the car ran like the day I bought it. In fact, that car ran like new for the next 3 years until poor DW got it run over by one of those monster SUVS making an illegal lane change while on the cell phone. And who rescued DW from that little fiasco? AAA.

Meh, what can I say? I'm a total AAA fan. Sorry to hear about your experience with them.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry ali! What a horrible start to your day.

When my brother and I were both Safety Presenters for the electric company, my parents got us AAA, since we were driving all over the metro Detroit area. It turned out to be a good investment.

One day, as I was driving home in my poor, beat-up 1987 Cavalier, I ran over a cinderblock on I-75. That was very bad for the car, but I manager to get it on the shoulder without anyone getting hurt or causing a huge accident. My dad comes to meet me and we have AAA come and tow the car the measly 5 miles to the nearest service station. Since the car was, well, undriveable (alright, unfixable. I put a hole in the engine and a couple of other things), we left the car at the service station until Charity Motors could pick it up in a day or two.

3 days later. Dad is in Canada for a conference. My brother, S, is driving home and hears something when his car just quits. He also pulls over to the side of the road without causing a major accident (in retrospect, being able to pull over is a highly underrated skill). He calls AAA and gets his car towed to a nearby service station. Unfortunately, this one was at 8-Mile and Gratiot - not the best area of town, to say the least. After being informed of an exorbitantly high price to replace the broken belt (and watching the shop owner polish his gun), he and my mom decide to tow the car home. The very nice AAA lady upgraded our account to AAA Plus that moment so we could have the car towed the 60 miles home. We got our money's worth out of AAA that year.

S has also used AAA more than anyone else in the family to get his keys out of his (usually running) car - he had a run of bad luck for a few years.

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I recall correctly (and maybe I don't), AAA covers the first 3 miles, then you have to pay anything over that. It's not that you'll get towed three miles and then no further; it's just that the first 3 miles are free to you. If it's a total of 18 miles towed, you'd just pay x amount per mile for 15 miles. Mine was something like a dollar a mile.

It sounds like you just got a really clueless rep.

--------------------
When my chin is on the ground I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Posts: 1765 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Goombah
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goombah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really do enough traveling for the AAA discounts and other services to have much value for me. Too bad that you had such a lousy experiance with them but I've heard way too many horror stories about them to be very surprised.

I have emergency road service through my insurance and it's been money well spent. They will tow my car to the "nearest point of repair" regardless of wether it's 1 or 150 miles away, provide discounts on longer tows, jumpstart a drained battery, perform snowbank extraction, deliver fuel and can even pay for hotel and rental car fees. $3 a month! It doesn't take too many tows to make that money back. I do have to pay for all these thing up front but I've never had any problem getting reimbursed for them.

--------------------
Ok guys, try to remember this time. It's pillage first, then burn.

Posts: 179 | From: Holdrege, NE | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Californians among us seem to like their AAA membership. I sure do! It might be a regional thing; remember that in California, driving is our official state religion. AAA has saved my sorry butt more times than I can count.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that I've calmed down a bit past the ranting stage... [Wink]

I'll try to answer some of the questions. I was driving on my spare. However my spare is also a real tire. [Smile] I have a Jeep. [Big Grin]

I do plan on replacing it. If I need a new tire today then I'll just get a new spare as well. If I just need a patch then we'll get a new spare over the weekend. No need to go through this crap again.

As for the Gold Membership (or whatever it's called)...apparently we have it. But since I was just added this morning we have to wait 7 days before it takes effect. I think that's kind of crappy since my husband and father-in-law have had this plan for years. But oh well. If this happens again I'll be covered for 100 miles.

I do like AAA for non-car related stuff. *grin* I just don't like what it offers for car service. Never have, really. I love their other services, though. *grin*

--------------------

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ali_marea:
As for the Gold Membership (or whatever it's called)...apparently we have it. But since I was just added this morning we have to wait 7 days before it takes effect. I think that's kind of crappy since my husband and father-in-law have had this plan for years.

I agree, that's crappy.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ali, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. It always seems worse when you don't just have to worry about yourself, but about someone else as well.
I'm going to join the ranks of the AAA loving people here. I have AAA Plus, and it has saved my skin on numerous occasions. I used to have a 1978 Volvo...a wonderful car, but the only person who knew who to fix it lived 75 miles away from me, so everytime it died, I had it towed there. I should go look on the website sometime, and see what discounts are offered. I could probably make back the cost of it twice over if I used the discounts!

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK here's my $0.02. The first $0.01 is how much I love AAA. The second $0.01 is how much they can suck.

The day I bought my first car I got my AAA extended coverage. In the last ten years I have been towed around 800 miles (once from Chicago to Milwaukee, WI and once from Eugene OR, to Portland, OR), had my car jumped three times, had my keys extracted from a locked car at least four times, not to mention the multiple times they have brought gas to DH who likes to see how far the gauge will go below the 'E'. I have planned 25,000 miles plus of road trips with their assistance, and love them as a service I happily pay $120.00 a year.

Here's my rub, that is similar to Ali's. I got a flat in the middle of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. Decision time: do I stop and snarl up traffic for hours and back it up for MILES AND MILES; or do I drive the remaining mile on the flat (effectively ruining the tire) but avoiding ruining the day of the hundreds of people behind me. I drove on the flat. When I exited the tunnel and could pull over I began to change the tire. I can change a tire quickly and safely (SO and I autocross and I can do all four in 16 minutes if it is really raining). I go into the trunk and find that the lug wrench missing. I call AAA and say please send a trunk that has TOOLS - I need to change my tire and get to class ASAP. They send a truck with a Bubba and no tools - he explains that his tools get stolen so he doesn't keep any in his truck. So, instead of gettin to my class, I get towed back (30 miles) to the firestone next to my house in Norfolk (correct pronounciation assumed).

FYI anyone they send out is a SUBCONTRACTOR!

A little, miffed I called AAA to find out WTF was going on - they told me that they send the closest person when they get a call. They would register a complaint against Bubba and his company will scrutinized when up for contract review.

If you do not receive the necessary service from them report them to AAA. All AAA is responsible for is sending someone out - while they try and maintain a pool of GOOD people (and my experiences are largely positive) obviously in Ali's case - and in mine - some slip through the cracks. If, you get someone who will not help you in the way you want, try calling AAA again. They may not have anyone else to help you, or the wait for different services may be long, but don't take advantage of the services Baba pays for.

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ali,

I've had similarly frustrating experiences with the auto club, and so I've made a point of being prepared myself. (I know, I know, you shoulda lines are annoying, but I'm just trying to give some practical advice.)

First, I tossed my donut spare and installed a full-size spare in the trunk. Mrs. callee's family lives a 24 hour drive away from civilization, and if we get a flat no donut tire will last long enough to get anywhere, and I think a full size spare is just smarter.

Second, I got a good booster pack that lives in the trunk. That way when the battery dies I do not have to wait outside in an abandoned parking lot in the middle of the cold night in suburban philadelphia for 3 friggin hours, I just boost it myself! The newer ones are very easy to use, and have failsafes so that they don't even work unless you've hooked it up correctly. Thus, even safer than boosting. Some models, in fact, don't even connect to the battery, but simply plug into your cigarette lighter and send power to your battery through it. You just sit comfortably in your car for a few minutes with this thing plugged into your lighter, then off you go!

Finally, get a tire kit. There are foam sprays you can get that will temporarily seal a small leak or hole so that you can re-inflate the tire and drive to the shope or tire store. Here is an example of a combo unit that comes with both the chemical spray and a battery powered air pump.

Bottom line, for a few bucks you can equip your trunk so that you can handle most common car problems yourself. I still have my autoclub membership for cases of towing and more serious problems, but generally speaking I'm much happier depending on myself than on their annoyingly unhelpful phone operators!

Good luck,

wait, one more thing - I also keep a small lunch box in the trunk that has a few things in it: a bottle of water, a little kettle that plugs into your lighter, some tea & instant coffee, instant oatmeal, etc. That way if we are every stranded somewhere - especially somewhere cold and isolated (quite possible on the drive to mrs. callee's family) - we can atleast have a hot drink or snack while we wait. With a young son, you might consider something like this as well, so that if you are stuck someplace for a while you atleast do not also have to bear the stress of him crying for food and whatnot.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think roadside assistance does tire patches anymore (at least CSAA doesn't - California's version of AAA) because they can't gurantee a good patch. And a bad patch can lead to a very dangerous blowout. Plus that stuff that they squirt into your tire to fix the leak is not a permanent solution anyway. A permanent patch IME you have to go to the tire store and have the tire taken off the wheel, patched and then remounted. If it is a slow leak (like you haven't driven your car for a month because you were on vacation and now the tire is flat) AAA can put air in it, but if it was fine yesterday and today it is flat they just change the tire. This has been their deal for at least 7 years.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep all sorts of emergency items in the car, too. Always.

I don't have AAA, but I have my insurances' roadside assistance coverage. Three bucks a month. Will give me 6 visits a year. If car is disabled, they will tow to nearest facility (they actually let me pick which place I want, not technically the closest place) and I don't think there's a mileage limit, or if there is, it's pretty generous.

They will fix a flat, bring me gas if I run out, jump my battery, or unlock the car.

I always keep jumper cables and I always keep a spare key in my purse, but once in a while old Bessie will lay down and it suuuuure is good to know I'm not going to be out a minimum of fifty dollars for a tow.

Three bucks a month...the best deal around.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

So here's what it was, for anyone who's interested. [Big Grin]

There was a nail in my tire. [Roll Eyes] How a nail got in my tire is beyond me. When I got a nail in my tire is beyond me. Not a clue.

Anyway, the AAA part of things still kinda sucked. The tow truck guy was nice enough, but the lady on the phone told me that she would have him take me to a AAA approved garage/gas station. When the guy got to my place he had no idea where he was taking me. (thankfully there are plenty of gas station/garage places near us) I was a little irked that the guy never even bothered to knock on my door. I got a call on my cell phone saying the guy was outside. He just kept honking his horn after that. (I wasn't expecting him to get there as quickly as he did, so I had to throw some stuff in my bag to leave.)

But like I said, the guy was nice enough and he got me to a garage. I gave him a giant tip cuz his job sucks. The garage guys (Shell station) took one look at my tire, noticed the nail and put a permanent patch on, filled it back up, and I was off and running in less than 15 minutes. Just like the one I got in another tire (same vehicle...different tire) about 10 days after I bought the Jeep. *grin* Those things are awesome. If I could learn how to do that I'd be set. It doesn't look that hard....but I don't know if I could do it. This may mean a trip to the auto store for me to ask if it's something I could do on my own.

Anyway, these aren't the scary patches that can cause a blowout. These are actually plugs that fill up holes. They're impossible to get out once they've been put in.

I realize, after writing the OP in the first place, I should have said "why bother having AAA for car related issues" rather than at all. I do love AAA for travel stuff and various other things. I just think their road-side service leaves something to be desired.

Lesson learned...we're going to replace my spare this weekend.

--------------------

Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always gotten decent service with AAA except for having to wait. I once had a similar plan through my insurance company (I don't remember which one now) and they SUCKED! I was driving on I-10 in eastern Arizona. I was running low on gas and planned to stop at the next exit. I was only about 9:30 p.m., but the station had already closed! [Mad] I knew the next gas was at least 20 miles away and I didn't want to chance it as I was traveling with a 6-month-old baby, 2 cats and no cell phone. (Was I an idiot for being so unprepared? Yes, but that's beside the point.) Anyway, the gas station had a pay phone, so I called the roadside assistance number.

Well, first off, the lady I talked to was in New Jersey and hadn't a clue of the realities of traveling through the Southwest. I knew what town I was in and the exit I had taken, but this woman kept insisting I give her the nearest major cross streets. I'm like "I'M IN NFBSK BOWIE, ARIZONA! THIS PLACE HAS NO MAJOR CROSS STREETS!!!" I very patiently tried to explain that if she just input the directions from the interstate, that the service provider would have no trouble finding me, but, apparently such abstract information couldn't be entered into their computer. After about 15 minutes, she was finally able to send someone out to me, but she said it would take about an hour because the guy had to come from Safford, about 40 miles away. Fine, I said.

When the guy showed up, I swear he had to be in his 80s! The poor man could barely walk and he had to lean on his truck to get around. He was very nice and after he put the gas in my car, he followed me to the next station, but on top of feeling like a moron for letting my fuel get so low, I felt like a cad for getting an old man out of bed in the middle of the night.

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mattie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had the basic AAA membership up until March of this year - for me, I received 7 miles free towing, and payed over and above that if needed. 3 miles is all some of you get?? Yikes! I guess AAA is different across regions?

I upgraded to the Plus membership when I needed my car towed from my office to home (about 16 miles). Unfortunately, yes, it took 7 days to kick in, so I had to pay the extra 9 miles. I was told by the nice man on the phone that the reason the 7-day lag was in place was because AAA was losing TONS of money because of people (like me!) who only upgraded when they needed. Oh well!

Other than that, I've had wonderful experiences with them, used all three of my tows this year, and now can get 100 miles free towing.

Sorry it didn't work out as well for you ali! I know how frustrating a tire problem can be. I ran over a nail back in October, and the January before, had some jerk swerve into my lane - to escape an accident, I swerved the other direction, and got too close to the curb (but saved my car) - both driver's side tires blew! Bad enough dealing with having to get places in a timely manner, let alone waiting for a tow truck to save you. [Smile]

--------------------
I don't want some pretty face to tell me pretty lies, all I want is someone to believe.

Posts: 1535 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

mattie, didn't you wonder, as I did, how you happened to run over a nail? It's happened to me 3 times in my life. I don't get it. Have you ever just seen a nail sticking straight up on the ground? I'm just amazed that it can even happen. Seems like it would sort of be a freak occurance.

But nope. 3 times so far. I don't get it.

--------------------

Lainie

The nail might not have to be sticking straight up, though. It could be lying on the ground, pointing in the direction your car is coming from.

I don't know where all the nails come from, though.

--------------------

mattie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Truth is, I actually didn't wonder all that much at the time, as I had been driving around all weekend in LA (one day to meet the PSU alumni for a game, another to go watch the Stillers!).

But afterwards (mainly after having to purchase a new tire and deal with the hassle and $$), I was like, WTF? Of all the driving I've done over the past 10 years, how was it that in this particular instance that it was my tire that hit the nail in exactly the right spot and speed for it to puncture and deflate it? And why my car - did the nail fall out of a car in front of me that caused me to get the puncture and no one else?

And yea, I've never seen a nail sticking straight up on a road, but my guess is because it got to someone else before I happened along! [Smile]

But I bow down to your "luck"! Three times?? UGH!

--------------------
I don't want some pretty face to tell me pretty lies, all I want is someone to believe.

Posts: 1535 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
The nail might not have to be sticking straight up, though. It could be lying on the ground, pointing in the direction your car is coming from.

I don't know where all the nails come from, though.

They fall, as the gentle rain from heaven on the fields below.

Just like anvils in the cartoons. Be glad you don't live in Acme Acres.

And, yep, a nail doesn't have to be sticking up. At highway speeds, when you run over a nail, the impact can cause it to bounce around all sorts of ways. It's very random. ("Chaotic" for all you math types.)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you don't want to have a spare in the car, get one of those spray cans that's an instant fix for a flat tire. I always have a couple of those, even though I have a spare, just in case I run inte something that takes out more than one tire.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages