snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Why even bother having AAA? (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why even bother having AAA?
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can get extended service (which costs more, of course) that will give you a tow up to 100 miles. Since I live about 40 miles from work, I've gotten the extended service for years.

I'm really sorry about your difficulty; I know how frustrating that is, especially with the baby in tow. But if you don't have a spare, it would be kinda hard for the tow truck driver to buy a tire and put it on. He'd have to know what kind of car you have, what type the other tires are, etc. And what if he gets it from somplace that you feel is too expensive? I know that would irritate me greatly.

I hope by the time you see this you've gotten the problem solved and I really hope your day improves!

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have AAA Plus which will tow you up to 100 miles IIRC. It might be less now. I've had to be towed 97 miles once so I got my money's worth that year. Another year my car was towed three times. (Two of the times I got he same driver and I was wearing the same suit.)

AAA isn't the only game in town anymore. You might have emergency service through whoever you bought your car from or with your cell phone.

As irritated as you are Ali remember that you were the one who assumed they fixed tires. Also, why don't you have a spare?

Hugs, and I hope it all works out.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ali, I'm sorry you had such a rough morning.

quote:
Originally posted by Aud:
AAA isn't the only game in town anymore. You might have emergency service through whoever you bought your car from or with your cell phone.

Or through your car insurance.

quote:
So already I'm thinking, what's the point of that? I know how to change a tire for christ's sake.
It's good to know how to change a tire, but doing it yourself isn't always the best option -- that's another reason to have roadside assistance. My tire once went flat on I-270 at rush hour, in a place where it wasn't possible to get very far off the road. It was much safer for the pro to change it than it would have been for me to do it. He does it all the time and can do it a lot quicker; he's used to working around traffic; and he's wearing a high-visibility fluorescent jumpsuit.

For the record, I don't think you're going to find a roadside assistance plan that can help you if you don't have a spare, for the reasons quiltsbypam listed above.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lexiemom
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexiemom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, it actually is helpful for the towing, even if it is only 3 miles, because the company that's towing doesn't charge the base fee, just the mileage over the covered 3. I got my car towed over the three miles using AAA and it still only cost me about $10, where the base fee alone was well over $60. Sorry you're having such a bad day. BTDT w/ a flat tire (I have the worst luck w/ flats) and it pretty much always sucks!

Edited for clarification.

Posts: 16 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I've had roadside service where they could fix the tire right there. I didn't have a blow out, the tire's just flat. If it's a small leak then they can fix it with a small kit in less than 15 minutes. That's what I thought they could do. I certainly don't expect them to buy me a new tire and replace it for me. Not sure where anyone got that impression.

I'm surprised that there's nothing in between 3 miles and 100 miles.

And for the record, I just got put onto pinqy's AAA this morning. When I lived in Pittsburgh it was never a problem to get my tires fixed, so this is pretty new to me. The service I had there was able to get me fixed up in no time.

The reason I don't have a spare is that I needed to replace a tire not that long ago. Pinqy changed the tire for me, using the spare. So we didn't need AAA to do it then.

So it's not that I just didn't want to shell out the money for the extra AAA service. It wasn't mine to begin with. Pinqy had what he had and added me this morning. Obviously from now on we'll have to figure out a better plan.

Now I'm off to walk my son to daycare since the only solution we've gotten so far is to get towed by someone else and I'm not comfortable having my son stuffed into a tow-truck where his carseat may or may not fit.

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Po