snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Alabama Politics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alabama Politics
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was listening to a radio spot for a canidate for public office today. It bragged about his record as a 'Pro-Life Republican' in the state house. Problem for me is that this might be a legitimate bragging point if he was running for an office for which it would mean something to be 'Pro-Life/Choice.' But in this case, he's running for Public Service Commission. Now, I may be a bit naïve here, but how does his stance on abortion affect how he will oversee my utility bills.

Then again, this same ad has him talking how he's gonna do something to 'control gas prices,' without making it clear that the only gas he would have any control over is natural gas, and he would have no say over the prices at the pump. Of course, how many voters really know what the jurisistdiction of the Public Service Commission?

Then again, this is the state in which I see billboards for the govenorship canidancy of 'Judge Roy Moore.' Shouldn't it say, 'Former Judge removed from his seat by his peers'?

I love my state. Aside from the occasional hurricane, it is a place of beautiful weather, wonderful people, and a good pace to life. But the politics truly suck.

Donovan Ravenhull

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the TV/radio ads very entertaining myself.

You should have been here back in '86. The radio ads for the various governor candidates were hilarious. They were only slightly less wild than that old SNL skit.

So far, every mailing I’ve seen has the words “conservative family values”. The various candidates are attempting to out conserve each other.

My Alabama nightmare: in the fall, we will have “Judge” Moore vs. “Inmate” Seigleman as our choices. Mr. 10 Commandments vs. Mr. Corruption. Sleep well...... [Smile]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LongTallBlonde
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LongTallBlonde     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is amazing how things can change in just a short while. It wasn't that long ago that the Democrats held a firm hand on the political machine that is Alabama. Heck Fire, a republican had not been elected to anything since the Second War of American Independance (called the Civil War above HWY-72).

These days it seems that the three worst things you can say about a person is that he/she is:
Liberal
Democrat
a Trial Lawyer

I agree that this election is tamer than most, but I will be glad to see Wed dawn. But think of this: Iffn Baxley and Wallace both win all we would need is a Beasley and it would be deja vu all over again.

Lastly, I just love these judges saying that they will not rewrite the law, just intrepret it. As long as it coincides with my beliefs otherwise watch out.

--------------------
A woman needs a man like fish needs a bicycle....People don't care how much you know, but they know how much you care.

Posts: 50 | From: Huntsville, AL | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
My Alabama nightmare: in the fall, we will have “Judge” Moore vs. “Inmate” Seigleman as our choices. Mr. 10 Commandments vs. Mr. Corruption. Sleep well...... [Smile]

Ugh, don't remind me. I keep thinking of Dave Berry's 1991 in Review in which he addressed the LA Gov race between David Duke and the Crook in which he joked about the voters moving to Arkansas.

--------------------

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually got a card from a state senate candidate who said he will decrease taxes AND increase funding for schools and prisons. He was also going to increase funding to stop illegals from getting into Alabama ("Illegal immigration is overwhelming our state systems. I will put a stop to it."). He never mentioned ONE area where he was going to decrease funding (to cover the tax breaks). I marked his name OFF my sample ballot.

--------------------

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cuervorose
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cuervorose   E-mail Cuervorose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone else hear heard about the (Potential) Democratic candidate for (I believe) State Attorney General (???). It was on the radio the other day about how he came out dimissing the Holocaust as propaganda and how the fact that he was a proponent of several racially motivated groups (KKK, Aryan, etc) would HELP him win the election in Alabama.

--------------------
You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I'll miss you.

Posts: 54 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cuervorose:
Has anyone else hear heard about the (Potential) Democratic candidate for (I believe) State Attorney General (???). It was on the radio the other day about how he came out dimissing the Holocaust as propaganda and how the fact that he was a proponent of several racially motivated groups (KKK, Aryan, etc) would HELP him win the election in Alabama.

If you can get a name, I will do some research and if true, will mark HIM off my ballot.

--------------------

WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 602 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I actually got a card from a state senate candidate who said he will decrease taxes AND increase funding for schools and prisons. He was also going to increase funding to stop illegals from getting into Alabama ("Illegal immigration is overwhelming our state systems. I will put a stop to it."). He never mentioned ONE area where he was going to decrease funding (to cover the tax breaks). I marked his name OFF my sample ballot.

Obviously, the money's going to come from not having to pay for wellfare for all those illegal imigrants he's going to prevent from entering Alabama. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cuervorose
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cuervorose   E-mail Cuervorose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cuervorose:

If you can get a name, I will do some research and if true, will mark HIM off my ballot.
I will do my best to find it, I heard it as one of those short news "headline" blurbs on the radio.

--------------------

Posts: 54 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cuervorose
I Saw Three Shipments

Larry Darby

There he is.

--------------------

Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I said, Alabama politics is not something I enjoy. Ugh.

--------------------

Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And so election day dawns... on 06-06-06

--------------------

Nobody Important
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Nobody Important   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Doesn't look like that will happen though.

http://www.al.com/

[Cool]

ETA:

Oh.. and here's a previous thread on Darby:

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/53/t/003615.html

Posts: 482 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like Darby is probably going to lose his primary. Thank heavens! Good to see Lucy Baxley winning big too, every poll I've seen has shown that one about even.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's sad how many votes Darby did get.

Now, the question is, is there any chance we may get our first female govenor by her own right? (For those of you unfamiliar with Alabama politics, we had one female govenor already. Back in the 60's, when George Wallace was restricted by the state constition from running for re-election, he put his wife up for the office while making it abundantly clear who would be running the state.)

Donovan

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages