snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Thank you snopes for Rule #6!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thank you snopes for Rule #6!
woohmom
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 01 posted      Profile for woohmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another board I frequent had a poster with their dramatic, "Well this board isn't what it used to be, I'm leaving!" post. And then of course the ensuing, "Oh please don't leave, we love you! You're so wonderful!" posts. And now of course, there's the, "Well, after much thought and many PMs from all of you, I've decided to stay, aren't you lucky to have me?" post.

I was so hoping the door had hit him on the way out. But alas, it was not the wonderful snopes community. We are all so very spoiled here.

--------------------
Give peas a chance.

Posts: 564 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In forums where this rule is not in place, I usually just tell the person posting that they're leaving how lame they are for posting that they're leaving, and that if they want to leave, they better get to getting, because we won't miss their drama. [Smile]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I agree that it's a stupid behaviour, I think it can be handled without a specific rule. On the forums I usually freqent, one of two things happens:

* Unpopular member claim that he is going to leave. There is much rejoicing. Member leaves and stay away.

* Popular member claim that he is going to leave. People try to make him reconsider. Sometimes it works, at which time the popular member is ridiculed for his childish behaviour (and often ridicules himself for it as well).

Either way, things work out nicely.

On the other hand, I think Snopes has a larger percentage of bipolar members and more personal issues are being discussed than the other forums, so this may not apply here.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with the behavior is one can never tell if someone is actually leaving and saying their goodbyes, or simply attempting to gain attention or reassurance by stating they are leaving. It's best to not allow the behavior at all, and if someone is truly leaving they can PM anyone who they know well enough to care.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a email listserve I'm on that was being dominated by one guy who admitted he'd post in the middle of the night, middle of the day and even from stop lights. He'd turn everything into a political argument and never liked anyone's sources. Several of the oldtimers said "This isn't what I signed up for I'm taking a break." That list is blistfully civil now if a little quiet. If they hadn't publically stated they were leaving and why I don't think the message would have made it to overpost guy's brain. He doesn't post nearly as much now either.

The two communities are different in many ways and I don't mean as a relative newcomer to change the rules here. I'm just saying that sometimes signing off and saying why is the only way to get a message across.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
On the other hand, I think Snopes has a larger percentage of bipolar members and more personal issues are being discussed than the other forums, so this may not apply here.

What do you think is the connection between Rule 6-related behavior and bipolar disorder?

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aud:
There's a email listserve I'm on that was being dominated by one guy who admitted he'd post in the middle of the night, middle of the day and even from stop lights. He'd turn everything into a political argument and never liked anyone's sources. Several of the oldtimers said "This isn't what I signed up for I'm taking a break." That list is blistfully civil now if a little quiet. If they hadn't publically stated they were leaving and why I don't think the message would have made it to overpost guy's brain. He doesn't post nearly as much now either.

The two communities are different in many ways and I don't mean as a relative newcomer to change the rules here. I'm just saying that sometimes signing off and saying why is the only way to get a message across.

But there is a huge difference between "taking a break" (Which I know posters here have stated and done then returned) and throwing a hissy-fit and stomping out claiming they are never coming back then returning anyways. I feel the people saying they are taking a break are doing it more as a courtesy. Just a note so people won't worry/wonder where they are.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Cite?

ETA: Troberg, that's a pretty rotten thing to say.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't want to get into specifics but there was a spectrum between the "taking a break" and "Pavel is such an ass I'm not taking his crap anymore." Some might be described as a hissy fit. A few of the first to leave didn't think to put a time limit on their absence.

It still seems odd to me that this is something that needed a rule made about it. I'm a veteren of may posting boards and email lists and ususally the embarassment of attempting to return after a flame out and the loss of respect is enough to keep the real trolls down. Again, not my playground. Not trying to change anything. I'm just curious if something specific happened here to cause this rule to be written.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rule number6 is one of those rules that is usually not necessary, because most of us know how to act. but there are one or two cases where you are glad it is there. Most of us wouldn't act like that even if the rule was not in place, but there are a small number that need the rule.
In my time here I know of one person who if the rule wasn't already in place would have cause snopes to make that rule.

Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notgillcup
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notgillcup     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love rule 6 (although in this thread -nfbsk warning! I jokingly suggested the rules be re-arranged so that the rule number is more entertaining)! I think it cuts down on the dramatic non-exiting exits and hissy fits that I see on other boards.

I don't see anything wrong with someone saying they are taking a break for a while, or cutting back on participation. But that doesn't really fall under rule 6.

Posts: 264 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
prof. yanaibara
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prof. yanaibara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How often has rule #6 been forcefully enforced?

--------------------
away...

Posts: 640 | From: elsewhere | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can think of a specific instance where rule #6 became very important, but that was before my time. All I know is hearsay, but I believe in that instance it was enforced.

I am glad we have it. I tend to think it might cut down on the drama, but then again, snopesters tend to police themselves pretty well from what I have seen.

Maybe it doesn't need to be written, but having it there helps people understand that they can't flame out, have people PM them begging to come back, and then be accepted again with open arms. It's just nice to have that understanding up front.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how I've missed this part of the site for so long...what is rule 6 and where can it be found?

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Baked Craziness
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baked Craziness   E-mail Baked Craziness   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave, ramblin' again:
I don't know how I've missed this part of the site for so long...what is rule 6 and where can it be found?

http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/faq.html#adminmod

Rule #6 (although they are not numbered) is essentially that you can not post saying you are leaving the message boards and then come back.

--------------------
If you find yourself in a hole, rule #1 would be to stop digging.

Posts: 109 | From: Delaware | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave, ramblin' again:

From the FAQ page:
quote:
If you decide to publicly proclaim that you are leaving this board forever, please be sure you really mean it, because you won't be welcomed back.
[Smile]

ETA: Gah! My first post in ages and I'm spanked!

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, that is a good rule! Thanks. [Wink]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*tongue firmly in cheek*

That's it! I can't stand this anymore! I'm leaving ---

----for the kitchen. I'm starving here! [lol]

Lady "can't be serious" Moon

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Troberg, that's a pretty rotten thing to say.
Not really, as I'm not making any judgements or saying it in a demeaning way.

Basically, snopes is a "time-waste site" (no offense, I just could not find a better word). Most people go here to spend some time and to discuss in general. The other forums I go to are highly specialized and focused on a specific subject. This provides a focus for the discussion and keeps personal stuff outside.

quote:
What do you think is the connection between Rule 6-related behavior and bipolar disorder?
It's not that far a stretch of imagination to believe that someone with a rollercoaster mood would be more likely to pull stunts like that.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No Troberg, most of us people with rollercoaster moods actually can control ourselves, even to the point of turning off the computer before we get totally nasty like that. Most of that kind of behavior comes from Attention Ho's not bi polar intividuals.
Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

No Troberg, most of us people with rollercoaster moods actually can control ourselves, even to the point of turning off the computer before we get totally nasty like that. Most of that kind of behavior comes from Attention Ho's not bi polar intividuals.
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
It's not that far a stretch of imagination to believe that someone with a rollercoaster mood would be more likely to pull stunts like that.
I think this just demonstrates what a poor understanding of bipolar disorder you have. Not all have rapid mood cycles, especially not people who are undergoing effective treatment. Having those cycles doesn't even necessarily mean a person's behavior changes, some people can keep their emotions internalized very well. Even for the worst cases, there's a huge difference between being manic and posting an "I hate you all, I'm taking my ball and going home, screw off... P.S. Don't forget me!" message.

I concur with RubyMoon, from the posters I recall seeing the #6 rule in action against, most were simply looking for attention in any form they could get it. The ones I can think of off the top of my head were rapidly wearing out their welcome before they even posted the offending message.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages