snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Stupid CRTC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stupid CRTC
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 602 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in Canada, but close to the American border. It is difficult for Christian radio or TV stations to exist because of CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications commission) rules about balanced programming. Therefore, the only Christian radio station in the area, Praise 106.5 is American, though it caters to Canadians by giving Canadian traffic reports among other things.
Well the CRTC has decided to introduce a new aboriginal station at 106.3 FM which is going to interfere with Praise. We have until tomorrow to protest. Now what I do not understand is why the CRTC would choose that frequency. Won't they get interferance from the American station as well?
And it isn't only Canadians who will be affected. Listeners in the U.S. will be too. It just seems too silly.

Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissBethie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissBethie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a problem practically everywhere when it comes to Christian radio stations. I listen to a station that is based out of Duluth, MN, has a translater station in Bloomington, MN where home is but I could never pick up the station from my dorm room that was in St. Paul, MN. And now the station changed buildings so I can't really get it clearly in the house but I can get it just fine in my car.

I guess people still don't understand that Christian music and radio stations are gaining more popularity than any other music genre today, but they still won't give us quality and reliable radio frequencies that can be picked up static free from anywhere.

--------------------
"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?" --the Scarecrow

"The Christian Right is neither."

Posts: 72 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PrincessLeia:
It is difficult for Christian radio or TV stations to exist.

It doesn't seem that they are in any danger of dying out anytime soon Christian Radio Stations in Canada. I've got two I can pick up on my radio here.

quote:

Well the CRTC has decided to introduce a new aboriginal station at 106.3 FM which is going to interfere with Praise. We have until tomorrow to protest. Now what I do not understand is why the CRTC would choose that frequency. Won't they get interferance from the American station as well?
And it isn't only Canadians who will be affected. Listeners in the U.S. will be too. It just seems too silly.

Radio frequencies are licensed based upon availability in a given area. Certain frequencies are alloted to certain areas. Thus, it is entirely possible that this was the last remaining, or even a newly alloted frequency to that area.

As for interference with the American signal, it depends. How strong is the broadcast signal? Where is the signal broadcasting from? What is the line of sight for the signal?

It is possible, depending on where you live, that the American signal is a rather high powered signal, and might only interefere with the signal on this side of the boarder, that is to say if it even does interfere.

If you travel through a city like Toronto, you would find that they are similarily close (i.e. 88.1 versus 88.5) In even larger markets like NYC you can find 88.1 and 88.3 and then 88.7.

However, the purpose of the CRTC is to regulate Canadian broadcasting, if a high powered radio station from the US is drown out in the process, that should be of no concern to the CRTC, so long as the frequency does not interfere south of the boarder. If there is a large enough market for the displaced radio station, the void will be filled, as there are no shortage of Christian radio stations in Canada.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
XM and Sirius have Christian channels. They seem to have a little bit of everything else, too. Can Canadians get them (XM and Sirius)? I know it sounds silly to pay for radio, but your money and listnership speak the loudest to the broadcasters.
Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleNaughtSaleen:
Can Canadians get them (XM and Sirius)?

Surprisingly, we can. http://www.xmradio.ca/ and http://siriuscanada.ca/Home-e.htm

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We (Peace River Broadcasting) operate on three FM frequencies in the hamlet of La Crete; 102.1, 106.1 and 92.1. SO,naturally when CIAM began operating its Christian station the CRTC gave them 92.3. We ended up with crossed signal for months until finally the CRTC changed their frequency to 92.7.

THere are only six frequencies used in Northern Alberta so there was no real reason for the screw ups other than the fact that it was the CRTC

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia

Icon 602 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Update: Praise is now asking Americans to contact the FCC with their concerns. The new Aboriginal station might violate the Canada/US FM Agreement, so American listeners will be affected as well.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't really been a fan of CCM for a while. I mean, I grew up allowed to listen to nothing but, and so when you're sheltered like that you end up thinking that certain things are "good," only later to find out that they were really only the best of a bad lot. Generally speaking I find most CCM to be derivative - a cardinal sin for someone like me who values innovation and originality above all in art. There is some CCM that is good, and I will listen to that, but not because it is "christian" but just because it is good. Then again, there is always the question of how you define "christian"? Does it have to mention "jesus" a certain number of times? What if it's just about values that, while Christian, are also universal, like love? What if it is about neither, but is made by Christians? Ofcourse, the CRTC runs into similar problems in defining "canadian," ending up with random-sounding standards that can have a canadian's music desginated "not-canadian" if all the back up musicians, recording artists, producers, etc., were american.

Bottom line, I don't personally have any desire for a Christian radio station, but that said, I have always felt that the CRTC's handling of such matters was really unfair.

I mean, the CRTC disallows Christian stations on the grounds that they would not be "balanced," since they would offer only a Christian perspective. The Christians would usually respond that the "balance" the law demands need not be found entirely within each individual station, but rather across the spectrum as a whole; thus, so long as there are other stations offering different perspectives, then balance is present. Further, the Christians usually point out that the CRTC does not demand such individual balance from other specialty stations, or from mainline stations. I tend to agree with both of those objections. I usually don't buy into the liberal-establishment-biased-against-persecuted-christians line of thinking, but reviewing the actions of the CRTC over the years, I do wonder if some raw religious prejudice isn't in effect.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here ya go. Two 24-hour Christian stations, no commercials, no interference.

Or, there's also this one if that's the sort of thing that trips your trigger.

[hijack]By the way, US Sirius subscribers get three Christian stations - hits, rock, and gospel. It's the CRTC's fault that Sirius only offers 1 in Canada - at least 10% of XM and Sirius' channel lineup in Canada must be made up of Canadian-only channels, so they had to choose a number of channels not to offer north of the border.[/hijack]

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia

Latest and probably last update:
According to PRAISE's website, the CRTC has decided to go ahead with the Aboriginal station after receiving over 7000 objections to the new station and only 7 in favour of it. Too bad they couldn't have at least held a public hearing. Oh well.
And for the record, I like many other stations besides Praise. I objected mainly because it would be interfering with American listeners as well as Canadian. And I was simply disappointed that I would possibly be losing access to a radio station that I like, Christian or not. I felt similarly when other stations I liked stopped airing.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages