snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » OK, it's June 1... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OK, it's June 1...
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 218 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...we know!! [Mad] Am I going have to contend with constant reminders today? Yes, I know last season was very active--hell we even got into the Greek alphabet and the last named storm was in December. Yes, I'm sure the people in New Orleans are antsy, but I know how you media types like to scare the NFBSK out of everybody! [Mad] Lay off, OK??

Dawn--if it bleeds it leads [Roll Eyes] --Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
HAHAHA!!
I understand where you're coming from Dawn, but people down here are woefully unprepared for the Hurricane Season. This area hasn't had a direct hit in decades and all those "in the know" swear it is due.
I live about a half-mile off the barrier islands in Evacuation Zone A (first out). We have our evac plans set (head inland to relatives' house) and we'll be packing our waterproof bin with our paperwork and irreplaceables tonight. Same as last year and the year before.
I agree that the media hypes it up worse than they need to, but too many people insist they can "ride it out."

Heard about the new procedures for the police/fire dept. personnel re: clearing mandatory evac areas? If your zone is under a mandatory evac, they won't force you out anymore. If they can't talk sense into you, they collect next-of-kin info and take a picture of you outside your home as "Last known location." If you get blown away or washed out to sea, tough nuggies...They tried.

I love it.

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is what I saw when I retrieved this morning's paper:

-

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!

[Roll Eyes]
Ok, in this geographical location, our biggest hurricane threat starts in August. Sure, I am making preparations. I have 8 animals to worry about. (Leaving them is NOT an option, by the way. ) I am going to prepare a hurricane kit. As soon as Bob gets home for good, we are going to hit our favorite warehouse store for water, non perishable food, batteries and maybe even one of those cool ∞ candle power flashlights. We even have 2 generators. (Bought for camping, not hurricanes. Sure came in handy during Isabel though.) Yes, a plan is necessary. The media sensationalism, however, is not.

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 214 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even though MD usually gets sloppy seconds, I will put together a prep kit. I really don't need the media hype though. Geeze, if it's not this, it's one of those deadly 2 inch blizzards that throw the whole area into a panic. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, a new look for snopes--

Oh, sorry, I jumped the gun.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 301 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm inland but the remnants of hurricanes often come this way and spawn tornadoes and flooding. My house was hit by one of the tornadoes that came through Georgia last year just 3 days after I had purchased it - I hadn't even moved anything into it yet. My emergency plan is to head to my brother's house down the road, as the tornado passed directly over his home and didn't do a thing to it. He lives on a hillside and has a basement - my house doesn't and is basically sitting on a flat-topped hill.

Now at work, I'm probably in the safest place on the entire campus. My department is in an old tv studio on the bottom floor in the very center of the University Center/Library building. When tornadoes were spotted in the area last summer we were letting the students stranded on campus pile in for safety and borrow the phones to call home.

These tornadoes do really strange things. Mine ripped up a wooden swing right out of the ground without touching the shrubbery and small trees surrounding it. It also left a German Sheperd dog on the roof of a house - not hurt at all but rather confused, I imagine. I never did hear if they found who she belonged to.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My general thought is: Eh, so what? I've lived here my whole life; it's just a part of life. I don't even think about it until a storm's predicted to hit. Of all the natural disasters, give me a hurricane, since I consider them a normal part of life and you've always got at least several days' notice.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Of all the natural disasters, give me a hurricane, since I consider them a normal part of life and you've always got at least several days' notice.

I can see that. Tornadoes and earthquakes seem far scarier to me, because they can happen with little or no warning.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My general thought is: Eh, so what? I've lived here my whole life; it's just a part of life. I don't even think about it until a storm's predicted to hit. Of all the natural disasters, give me a hurricane, since I consider them a normal part of life and you've always got at least several days' notice.

Er, you do prepare for them and evacuate when you need to? I'm assuming you just mean you don't panic. It always amazes me how people wait to the last minute to do anything when they know they live in a hurricane prone area.

--------------------

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Of all the natural disasters, give me a hurricane, since I consider them a normal part of life and you've always got at least several days' notice.

I can see that. Tornadoes and earthquakes seem far scarier to me, because they can happen with little or no warning.
Agreed!

--------------------

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lainie wrote
quote:

Yes, and earthquakes scare me the most because there is no place to hide from them!

--------------------

UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed and agreed. I live in earthquake territory, and I much prefer a hurricane I can see coming a week in advance. Even tornadoes at least have a "weather advisory".

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanRenewal:
Agreed and agreed. I live in earthquake territory, and I much prefer a hurricane I can see coming a week in advance. Even tornadoes at least have a "weather advisory".

Most of the time, but not always. Plus, during a Midwest summer, "tornado weather" is very common, and it's not necessarily practical to stay in shelter whenever it occurs.

Tornado sirens are supposed to sound only when a funnel cloud has been sighted in the area, but some communities seem to be a little quick to push the button. By the third consecutive stormy night you're awakened by sirens at 2 am, it's tempting to ignore them.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Maybe it's a product of growing up in earthquake country where it's talked about all the time, but I am not nearly as terrified of earthquakes as I am of tornados and hurricanes. When I moved to Iowa, I had no idea what to do for a tornado, I had been raised to survive an earthquake. My ex decided to calm my fears during my first season by renting Twister...

Lil "there is no earthquake 'season'" Molly

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm one of those crazy people that when the siren sounds I head out my basement door to try and see it and maybe get a few pictures.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 202 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
About a week ago, a friend e-mailed me a cartoon about the new hurricane protection for Florida: a condom covering the entire state! [lol] I sent a copy to my MIL who lives in Altamonte Springs (Orlando area)

--------------------

Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by DawnStorm:
About a week ago, a friend e-mailed me a cartoon about the new hurricane protection for Florida: a condom covering the entire state! [lol] I sent a copy to my MIL who lives in Altamonte Springs (Orlando area)

[lol]

Two years ago, the cartoon circulating around was "Florida: the Plywood State" with an outline of the state with patches of plywood nailed over it.
That hung at my desk until the end of LAST year's hurrican season! I'd love to see yours!

--------------------

DawnStorm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's on my home PC; I'll have to send it to you.

--------------------

Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Molly:
quote:
quote:

Maybe it's a product of growing up in earthquake country where it's talked about all the time, but I am not nearly as terrified of earthquakes as I am of tornados and hurricanes. When I moved to Iowa, I had no idea what to do for a tornado, I had been raised to survive an earthquake. My ex decided to calm my fears during my first season by renting Twister...

Lil "there is no earthquake 'season'" Molly

I grew up with tornados, but I was always afraid of their habit of dropping down on your head with very little notice.
I find hurricanes much less stressful since we have DAYS of notice and our company gives us time off to prepare.

--------------------

quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just out of curiosity, all you Snopesters in hurricane country: how should the media handle hurricane season? Hype it up so the unprepared might possibly be goaded into preparation? Ignore it because the prepared are already prepared? I don't want to sound snarky; I'm honestly curious. I live in blizzard country, so I don't know one way or the other what kind of coverage you folks get.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fun with a 9mm:
quote:
quote:

Agreed!
I've always felt that way too. If you heed the warnings, you can at least escape with your life and your photo album, from a hurricane.

But for some reason (living in the desert might have done it to me) a drought scares me more than anything. It's not exactly a sudden thing, but it's just so... apocalyptic. And relentless. Day after day, no rain, no rain. Hot and dry. Things dying. And if there's no water, where do you GO? what do you do? (*wringing hands* help! help! - oh, wait - just a nightmare - I'm still in East Texas and we've had rain lately. Whew!)

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up in Florida, so hurricane preparation was just part of life. Midwestern tornadoes, now, those scare the crap out of me. The sky goes all sickly greenish yellow, and it feels like all the air is being sucked away, and then there's the funnel cloud off in the distance... at which point I wonder where I should hide, since I live in an apartment where the basement is kept locked! Guess I'd have to hole up in a closet or something. I was never scared of storms when I was a kid, but since learning that tornadoes might come with them, they make me a bit nervous.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Minstrel, an interior bathroom with no windows would be your safest bet. Failing that, a closet is good, as long as it's not on an exterior wall.

--------------------

frogpond
Jingle Sales

quiltsbypam, to answer your question, I really prefer the media err on the overhyping side. I know people get mad when they prepare and evacuate and the hurricane veers back out to sea. However, if the hurricane does hit and they didn't pay attention they have no one to blame but themselves (Pat Robertson's protestations aside!)

--------------------

Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*sigh*

While last year's storms were unusually early, the bulk of hurricanes (let alone major ones) don't even begin until late-July - August.

Being as far inland as we are, hurricane prep is minimal, but done if it looks like a serious threat. We have had storms hit W-S, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc. at hurricane strength before, and it's still something you don't want to mess with. Usually the worst that happens is a shortage of bread at the market though.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the isolated thunderstorms we start getting. We've had some nasty ones already, and it's only June 1st. I know we need the rain, but we could do without the hail and high winds...

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Minstrel, an interior bathroom with no windows would be your safest bet. Failing that, a closet is good, as long as it's not on an exterior wall.

The bathroom has a window, but the closet is interior. Of course, if I have enough time (we're still in Watch, not Warning), the best thing would be to flee to my aunt's house a couple of miles from here and hide in her basement!

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
NJ gets hit by a hurricane about once every five years or so. By the time they get to us, thought, they're usually downgraded significantly. The only time I was ever scared during one was Floyd, in 199-something; a bolt of lightning hit a transformer reeeeally close to my house. The whole damn thign exploded in a shower of sparks that I would have been impressed by if I wasn't already terrified, as I am scared of thunder and lightning.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I, like Pam, live in New York, where we don't really HAVE any natural disasters. You should all move here [Smile]

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We just finished up our cyclone season which was great fun this year, a cat 5 hitting the surrounding areas of me, we were missed the full force by a distance of less than 100kms. Hopefully if everything goes to plan, but the time the next season rolls around i'll be out west where there are no natural disaters, except for maybe a small dust storm now and again.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quiltsbypam, the local media usually does a good job of preparing people for hurricanes without all the hysterical hype. Near the beginning of the season local tv news stations will run half hour or hourlong specials with specific things that people need to be prepared for the storms. If there are any big storms threatening the area they will repeat them. The weather forecasters do a good job of keeping us informed about all storms as they form. If a hurricane threat is imminent the weather forcasting and hurricane preparedness information may become a 24 hour thing.

Occasionally you get tired of hearing the same thing over and over again but there are many tourists who visit the coasts who need to learn what to expect and what to do. I think the local news and weather people do a good job without all the hype because they actualy live here with their families and friends and go through it every year.

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, you guys think your local coverage is bad...

/points to location

The New Orleans TV station had a banner running across the bottom of regular programming just to remind us that we're all gonna die... again [fish]

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Around here, we begin wildfire season. Ain't no hurricane ever gonna make it here, so we just worry about everything going up in smoke. It is like a hurricane in that you usually get some advanced warning, but the damage is usually more localized.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I, like Pam, live in New York, where we don't really HAVE any natural disasters. You should all move here
You've obviously never seen The Day After Tomorrow

[Wink] [lol]

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
New York City is a natural disaster. (But I  - New York!)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages