snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Letters You Wish You Could Send - June 2006 (Page 13)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Letters You Wish You Could Send - June 2006
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Seaboe, actually, El Jefe, another professor and I were having beer on Monday. The other professor brought up the issue of second student (who has been working part time with her grad student). El Jefe said "Hey. All we have to do is give her an opportunity. If she fails it's on her. I think I need to talk to her again."

Evidently she has been in once to complain that I wasn't helping. His response was "What I think you mean is that she isn't doing your work for you. I have seen what you mean by "help". It means "find the answers for me". TGirl already knows how to find the answers you are looking for and has given you several clues [bless bcc on email]. The point here is not to find the right answer but where to start looking."

I have a feeling she may not last long.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dear TGirl,

May I suggest that when dealing with second student to start answering her questions and statements with questions?

Everytime she asks you what solution she should use, ask her what the directions say to use.

Everytime she asks if X should be used instead of Y (as stated in the directions) ask her what the directions say.

Everytime she tells you that Y (as stated in the directions) won't work, tell her to use what the directions say to use. On this one, if she persists to continue to tell you that it won't work, ask her why. Keep asking why when she says "it just won't." Then remind her to use what the directions say to use. That is what she is there for, right? [Confused]

Eventually, second student will get the idea that everytime she tries to ask you a question regarding her job, your answer will always be "what does the instructions say?" and hopefully will get her out of your office asking you inane questions she should be answering herself!

Of course, Tgirl is a very intelligent woman who I am sure has already done these things. Hence the fact that EL Jefe now loves her. [Razz]

Snopes' annoying unofficial useless advice giver.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starla:
Monkey,
I have a similar situation to yours. Before Mr S and I even married we talked about our desire to adopt kids some day. Now that we have two biological children and I'm POSITIVE my womb is closed for business, Mr S is unsure about adoption on the grounds that his mom wouldn't accept the kids the same way.

Sadly, I know he's right. Little comments she has made abut other adoptive families have given me doubts too. I hate to let one miserable person have so much power over our lives. But it is a very real concern- how fair is it to bring a child into a home knowing they will have to deal with a grandma like that? But how sad is it that a kid who really needs a home may not be in ours because my MIL is ignorant? Which is worse- a life in foster care or a crapy grandma?

It's all so very hypothetical. We aren't in a position to add to our family for at least another 3 years. So for now I just try not to think about it too much. No use borrowing trouble, right? Still, it's annoying.

-Starla

Dear Starla and Monkey,

YMMV and you know better than I do, but my sister's MIL was convinced when her youngest son met a woman who already had a child that she would not be able to treat him the same as her "own" grandchildren. She was wrong. If she feels any differently, you'd neer know. There is no difference in gifts, conversations, bragging, etc. You would NEVER know that he has no biological link to the rest of the family.

OTOH, her MIL (my BIL's paternal grandmother)has 2 adopted grandchildren and never lets anyone forget it, especially the kids themselves and their parents (who were unable to have biological children, which somehow makes THEM inferior as well). It is a sad, uncomfortable situation to be in, even peripherally (my grandmother tries not to bring up discussing grandchildren with the woman because she HATES the attitude).

It's a tough dilemna and IU've seen it from both sides. Good luck with the decisions.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a waffle queen:
Dear Grandma,
I know I shouldn't speak poorly of my elders, but you're a bitch. Mom told me that you told her that since you're the only grandmother Brother and I have left, that we should treat you better? You made a HUGE deal that YOUR birthday wasn't brought attention to (yes, I know, it's the same as Grandpa's), but it was his 80th, and your 76th. You were apparently such a bitch at dinner the other night, Mom walked out of the restaurant. You berated Mom while you two were shopping at Wegmans, then you berated my brother at the same dinner table where my mom walked out.
What I have previously chalked up to senility obviously isn't. It's just plain NASTY. You're alienating your daughter and your only granddaughter. I don't really want to talk to you anymore.

No love for you,
Your (wishing to be ex) granddaughter

Sweetie, is she taking medication? Some medications can cause such behavior. So can senility. Is there the possibility of a stroke/TIA? If this is different behavior than her norm, your mom should talk with her doctor and maybe get her checked out. And if it's justy plain nastiness that just getting worse because she thinks age lets her, ignore it. Take the high road and continue to be nice to her, give your mom the support she needs (sounds like she has to deal with it the most), and remind yourself that someday when your grandma's gone you'll be glad you didn't tell her off in person.

My grandpa had a stroke, which caused a marked (try 180 degree) change in his behavior and attitude. I had to endure a telephone call in which he denied having a granddaughter, berated my grandmother for making him talk to a stranger (me) and yelled at me on the phone. It was his birthday. He passed away about 2 weeks later. It still breaks my heart to remember that phone call and I'm still glad I made it -- it meant the world to my grandMOTHER. She called me later after she was home from the nursing home and we both cried, but she believed then and probably still believes that somewhere inside, he knew who I was and that I called to tell him I loved him.

And as I've told you before, my FIL had Alzheimer's which caused him to revert to his earlier abusive behavior. It was very difficult not to react negatively to such constant negativity, but I just reminded myself that he would regret it someday, even if I wasn't with him to see the regret (we all believe that he's doing his time in Purgatory having to wait hand and foot on my MIL, who put up with him -- she was a saint!).

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notsmiffy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notsmiffy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dear D.,

Tell her or don't, but stop boring me with this relationship stuff.

notsmiffy

---

Dear C.,

The Church of England is slowly coming to the natural end of its life, THAT'S why you can't get anyone to join the choir. Snapping at people will only worsen the situation.

notsmiffy

Posts: 29 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dear Lil' Bro,

I'm trying to READ for NFBSK's sake! I am glad you want to talk to me, and I enjoy talking to you, but not every NFBSKing second!! Thank you for letting me use your computer, but please let me concenrtrate on my reading/typing for more than one minute straight!!

BTW, I can tell you get annoyed when I interrupt you to allow Starlet to talk, but you never pause for a breath. If there was apolite place to break in, I'd wait for it. As it stands, it's awfully unafir to make a 4-year-old wiat for 15 minutes to ask for a drink of water.

Love Ya,
Big Sis

Dear Household,

Is it possible to have any quiet at all, ever?!!?? You all stay up past midnight with TVs blaring, and then my kids get up at 6:30. I just want 30 minutes of NFBSKing peace!! No Big Band music, no crime shows, no FoxNews, no pointless jabbering about inside jokes with your Ivy Leauge friends, just SILENCE!!!

Now that school's out and every coffee shop within 20 miles is innudated with the consntant OMG!!111!! refrains of high school kids there is no refuge for my poor, shattered nerves.

Just Hush,
Starla

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dear Starla,
I feel your pain. My roomie has his TV on from the moment he wakes up until he goes to bed. I stay up later than I should just so I can get some peace and quiet.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Glisp,
Sorry to hear you feel my pain. It sucks, doesn't it? I'm spoiled. At home I have at least one night out of every 3 completely to myself; my husband works and after the girls go to bed I can have hours of blessed silence. It fuels me. Having had no silence the last 3+ weeks is about to put me over the edge.
At least I get to go home soonish. Would earplugs help your situation?
-Starla

Jocko,
Your two anecdotes are just the possibilities we hope for/worry about. It's possible MIL would be great, it's also possible the adopted kids would always feel lesser than. There is a family business that has been passed down for 4 generations that could further complicate things. Assuiming it survives figuring out how Mr S and his brother may share it one day (whole other story).
But that's all down the road, so, like Monkey said, I try not to think about it for now. No use borrowing trouble. When the time comes we'll figure it out.
-Starla

Chloe,

I almost forgot- very funny! Crepy. hee.

One of my favorite things when I was little was the crepiness of my grandma's hands. They felt so soft. She got a kick out of how much I esteemed her "old lady hands."

-Starla

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dear BWG,

You, sir, are a holy asshole.

Minstrel

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeowulfGirl
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeowulfGirl   E-mail BeowulfGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dear Minstrel,

quote:
Dear BWG,

You, sir, are a holy asshole.

Minstrel

I'm glad that you specified the gender of the asshole, because for a second there I thought that "BWG" as an abbreviation for "BeowulfGirl," and I wondered what I had done!

--------------------
Please visit my blog and leave a comment! It's all pretty and pink and quite funny. Go here: http://beowulfgirl.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1790 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dear World,

I am leaving work at 1:30 and the SO and I are going to the beach with my brother and his SO for the weekend.

I am super excited!

Only 2 more hours of work, then it's fun in the sun all weekend long!

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dear keyboard at work: Wtf? Exactly what combination of keys do I keep pressing that causes to read the simple keystroke of "e" as "Explore," "r" as "run," and some others I can't recall right now? And what combination of keys am I pressing that causes it to stop?

Jay T(explore)(minimize)pl(explore)

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
JayT--it sounds as if someone has tinkered with your auto-complete file.

Generally, typing the initial letter causes the completed word to appear, but if you type the next few letters quickly enough, the completed word has no time to appear.

What word processing program do you use?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
Dear Boss,

What is up. In the last week you have
1. Within my hearing said that "the Center would not have been a success without TGirl".
2. Given me a larger than expected raise.
3. Thanked me for all my hard work.
4. Told me that I am wonderful.

Who are you and what have you done with the real El Jefe? Can you stay and we not have him back.

Gobsmacked,
TG

Dear T-Girl,

Congratulations on the large raise and on the high esteem in which you are held by your boss. From both, I infer that I am not alone in my admiration of you.

Signora

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
JayT--it sounds as if someone has tinkered with your auto-complete file.

Generally, typing the initial letter causes the completed word to appear, but if you type the next few letters quickly enough, the completed word has no time to appear.

What word processing program do you use?

Seaboe

Word, but I don't remember it ever happening when I'm in Word. Mainly it happens while I'm in Paradox or on a message board.

--------------------

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Legends of the Hidden Jay Temple:
Dear keyboard at work: Wtf? Exactly what combination of keys do I keep pressing that causes to read the simple keystroke of "e" as "Explore," "r" as "run," and some others I can't recall right now? And what combination of keys am I pressing that causes it to stop?

Jay T(explore)(minimize)pl(explore)

Is your control key stuck down? Happened to me once. Bang the keyboard on the desk -- that will either pop the key back up, or make you feel better if it's not the problem.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
Dear T-Girl,

Congratulations on the large raise and on the high esteem in which you are held by your boss. From both, I infer that I am not alone in my admiration of you.

Signora

Dear Signora,

That is so sweet of you!

Thanks. [Embarrassed]

TGirl

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dear left eye,

Stop. Twitching. Now.

Sue- not Doctor Strangelove- Bee

Kill eye, tumbling come out of the sky...

Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

I'll try that. Thank goodness I'm usually the only one here in the mornings.

--------------------

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages