snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Comptia ARGH! NSFW warning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comptia ARGH! NSFW warning
ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 03 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fair Warning Space: This is my first rant here so pardon if I miss some minor etiquette. And again there will be language here so NSFW, NFBSK, and NSFAEO (not safe for anyone easily offended)

Okay here is the deal. If you want to work in computer repair/support you need an industry certification. Sounds fair. Prove you know this stuff. Granted most people do that by getting a degree but I digress. Anyways I want to do this for a living. So I decide to take the A+ course at my local technical college. Again you would think that spending eight months taking courses that teach you how to build a computer system from a pile of parts and software discs or to diagnose a broken system with only a few symptoms from end users to go on would be enough to warrant employment. But NO!

So I take the Comptia certification exam. And fail barely. Yes this PO'ed me but that is not this rant. Comptia made me sign this legal document before I took the exam that I wouldn't give specific questions and answers to others who are going to take the exam. Fair enough. But these assholes are so ****ing paranoid that after I take the exam. They give me my score. The score I needed to pass. THen a note saying that my score wasn't quite high enough. AND THAT'S IT> No list of the questions with those marked right and wrong. Not even how many I got right. So as far as studying for my second attempt goes they are giving me no help. I have to assume I don't know anything and study everything even though I know I got a decent chunk right. But I don't know what chunk I got right

BITCHES!

--------------------
Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which half did you take? The OS part or the hardware?

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took both parts. failed both by the skin of my teeth. OS by closer. but both was the same format for "feedback" which is just You Failed by this much.

--------------------

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The wonderful thing about CompTIA tests is that they prove that someone can pass a test. They mean absolutely nothing in the real world. And since many of the concepts tested are extremely out of date many employers are no longer even considering them when hiring. (At least no employers that I would be interested in working for. Sure Best Buy and CompUSSR wants it, but so what??) I have been doing this stuff *hardware, software and networking) for almost 10 years, and I donot have any certs, and do not paln on getting any.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
true but it's the matter of principle. If they are going to give a test. They need to actually oh I don't know. GIVE FEEDBACK!

--------------------

lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ringotaku:
true but it's the matter of principle. If they are going to give a test. They need to actually oh I don't know. GIVE FEEDBACK!

I'm not sure I agree with you. I understand your frustration, though.

It sounds like the sole purpose of the course is to provide training and certification. This is not an education course, in the same sense that a college or university course is. At university, the goal is to learn how to learn, and how to research, write and form an opinion. The goal is also to explore a speciallized field of study.

Your course, on the other hand, is designed to pump out people who have a proven skill set. Presumably, the administrators of the course are really not concerned with how you learn. They give you the information that they think you need to develop a skill set. You take the test. You pass and get the certification, or you don't. Their obligation is over.

If you want to get certified, you have to take the course over, or take the exam over, and prove you know it. The onus is on you.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I paid like 40$ extra with my SAT for the "questions" thing (forgot the actual name) and it turned out to be dots in catergories or what question # instead of the questiona & anwser that I actually missed. It made it seem like it would be the question & anwser. Rip off.

ETA: to clarify.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin 2020:
The wonderful thing about CompTIA tests is that they prove that someone can pass a test. They mean absolutely nothing in the real world. And since many of the concepts tested are extremely out of date many employers are no longer even considering them when hiring.

Depends. If you're going for a desktop job, then you would be better served pursuing different certifications. If you plan on doing anything hardware based, you need the A+. I know that it's a prerequisite for becoming IBM and Toshiba hardware certified (which if you work for a company that gets reimbursed for warranty labor, you better have it). That's the only reason I have mine. I finally took it last year after dealing fine without it for 8+ years.

My only suggestion before you retake is to pull down the .PDF study guides (they may be on cramsession.com?) and read through them.
Even though they didn't give you a printout of exactly what you missed, I'm sure that you remember a few of the ones that you had to completely guess an answer for.

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richl
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richl   E-mail Richl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
CompTia is a lame test. Why would they give you a question on what to clean you monitor with? I took it as well failed. Been working in the field for ten years from programming which I hated. To being a self taught desktop support tech. I would like to get my certs but their not critical. Out in Az most companies specifically look for that. Even though I have the experience they want you to be certified.
Posts: 106 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages