snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Paranoid parents!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paranoid parents!
creative gal
Deck the Malls

Icon 27 posted      Profile for creative gal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I'm back from uni, my parents, my dad in particular, have been driving me insane by being paranoid about, guess what? This very site! Now, my dad uses this computer for work, so I can understand him being a bit concerned, but he's got anti virus software on it and I don't download anything. (though he thought I'd downloaded spider solitaire... [Roll Eyes] )He's been seriously limiting my time on my fave website, and won't listen to my reasoning... (He's out of the house now) I really can't wait till I get my laptop back and networked so everyone can be happy.

--------------------
Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down..

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What on earth frightens them about this site? I mean, what do they think might happen to you as result of your visiting here?

Dog (Inquiring minds wanna know) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I second that, Dog Friendly.

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Friendly:
What on earth frightens them about this site? I mean, what do they think might happen to you as result of your visiting here?

It sounds more like he's paranoid about what will happen to the computer, not creativegal... She might "download" something, and "downloading" is bad - if it's not a virus, then it will be something illegal and you'll get in trouble...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
creative gal, while I agree that this site is harmless, it is his computer, and, speaking as an old fuddy-duddy, it is his house and you are a mere child. [Razz]
Okay. Okay! I got it. You--> [fish] <--Me

Hope you get your laptop set up soon!

Signora Del "My house, My rules" Drago

PeeEss~Let your dad read this and tell him it's from your cyber-grandmother. I bet I'm old enough, 65˝ - note the ˝ [lol] , to be his mother, and I'm not afeared of this place. (I figured I should say "afeared" since I live in Oklahoma, USA.) [Big Grin]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 204 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Relax! Snopes doesn't bite and even if s/he did, s/he has had all necessary shots.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet Barbara would bite if needed.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Friendly:

Dog (Inquiring minds wanna know) Friendly

Well for one, everyone here is at risk for catching "teh gay". Also she might learn. Both of these things are to be feared and reserved for those above the age of 90.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
creative gal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creative gal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hee hee, most of you lot now OMANK! I think the reason my dad worries about this site is simply because he hasn't heard of it, and he's worried about viruses and stuff... Even though, as I've said before, we have anti virus software on the computer... [Roll Eyes] I guewss I'll either have to convince him it's ok when he gets back from holiday or wait till my laptop gets sorted..

Signora, I would like to let my dad read this, but don't particularly want him to know I've been moaning about him...

--------------------
Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down..

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If he's so worried about viruses maybe he should get a Mac.

[fish]

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Something
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Something   Author's Homepage   E-mail Something   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I second that motion, ThistleS!

--------------------
If I'm not here, it's because I'm out.

Posts: 198 | From: Northern California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fear of the unknown is not a bad thing. If you use MS Explorer, you do get a lot of pop-ups on this site (which could set off an alarm). Your dad is just being a dad (I know, since I am one). While you are at his home, follow along with his rules. It makes life easier for everyone.

Slightly OT, but when I first went back home after a semester at college, I decided to just go driving (I was bored and I did that in college all the time). Well, since I did not check in with anyone at the house (didn't need to at school), when I arrived back home late that evening, my parents went ballistic. “Where were you?!” We were worried sick!”, “Why did you just run off like that?!”. So I learned to TELL them when I would leave their house. I do that even now when I visit them (even though I have teenage kids of my own). It just keeps the peace around the house.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
During my first winter break from college, I had work to do to finish an incomplete. I told my mom I was going up to the library at the local uni (not the one I attended, 150 miles away) to do some research. She asked me if I could wait until one of my older brothers could go with me. Why?

"Because I'm not comfortable with you going up on campus by yourself."

Um, Mom, what do you think I've been doing for the past three months? [lol]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages