snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Dory's no-good, horrible, very bad day...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dory's no-good, horrible, very bad day...
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, after having a great weekend at Animazement, I should have known the other shoe would drop. Last night, we got a call from my grandmother around 10 pm. She was crying and complaining that she had been throwing up all day, and had not been to the bathroom since the day before. Yet, she did not want to go to the hospital.

My mom and dad went over to her house and persuaded her to head to the emergency room. Mom (may God bless the soul of that woman for eternity) spent the entire night at the emergency room with her mother-in-law since my dad had to go work and was too late to call in. It turns out part of her intestines had quit functioning and she had severe blockage. She now has a drainage tube in; they're hoping if it drains enough the blockage will loosen on its own and she will be able to go home in four or five days. If not, it will mean surgery, and she will be there for two weeks. Although she's survived something like this before, she's not in the best of health as is; prayers and good thoughts for her would be appreciated, as the next few weeks (clearance or no) are going to be tough for her.

In addition, this means her little bratty Boston Terror...er, Terrier Maggie has to stay with us until she's well enough to care for her. Poor Oscar is absolutely flummoxed and frustrated; if he does not want to play with Maggie or tries to touch his own stuff, she starts biting him. She eats his food, plays with his toys, and drives him crazy. He is now throwing very depressed looks at us on the kitchen floor as she tears around the house. She also chews things up like crazy. I hope I can live with this little rat dog for the next few weeks without punting her across the backyard. (Note: I would not actually punt her. She is too heavy and would break my toes [Smile] ).

Oh, and our air conditioning went out yesterday. It was a lovely and humid 86 degrees Fahrenheit today. I don't feel so great right now since heat gets to me pretty easily because of all my medications, and my allergic-to-everything mom and sister should just glue the tissue box directly to their noses from the dust and pollen getting in through the open windows. I never thought I'd say this, but...stupid Memorial Day holiday! If it weren't for you, our repairman could come and not charge us extra fees for emergency repair work!

Tomorrow will be better I hope.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of prayers and good thoughts for you, your family, and your grandma.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sympathies.

My father went through something similar due to complications from an earlier operation, it's not a laughing matter. Imagine having to go really, really bad, feeling like you are going to burst, but you can't relieve yourself and the pressure builds until you throw up what usually goes down.

I hope it clears up.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My thoughts and wishes go out to you, Dory.

Ten years ago, my family spent many hours one Christmas day in the ER when my grandfather had one of his strokes. That rapid shifting of emotional gears, "Happy Day" to "Medical Emergency" is no fun at all.

On the bright side (try to take your mind off it) how was Animazement? Do you cosplay or just people watch at the cons?

Max "and the christmas before that..." Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
{{Dory}}

I hope your grandmother recovers. And I hope someone deals with the dog--a crate, maybe?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Troberg, this has happened to her before apparently (I was young at the time, so I don't remember it). The time before it was a lot worse because she waited so long to do something about it; she went straight to surgery when she finally went to the hospital. At least they get to try something less invasive first this time.

Max, we've done the same thing. My grandfather actually died around mine and my father's birthdays, so sadly I understand joy being tempered by grief all too well.

Animazement was a blast, although the Dealer's Room was all Bleach, Naruto, and busty girls, so I didn't find much I really wanted. I only did one cosplay this year, and it was Kingdom of Loathing, so it wasn't technically cosplay so much as changing T-shirts and walking around with a pimp cane. [Smile] My sister went as a Tonberry again this year and proceeded to scare many Advent Children cosplayers, including a Sephiroth.

The video contest rocked this year, but not because of awesome videos; it was because people decided to do something different! No Naruto, FMA, or Inu-Yasha videos. Instead, we got "My Neighbor Totoro" combined with the theme from "Shaft". Oddly, it worked.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went through something like what your grandmother has about a year and a half ago. For three weeks, I couldn't eat anytyhing without it coming back up within an hour or so. To make matters worse, the first time I went to the ER and described my symptoms, they put me on an anti-diarrhea drip, which of course was the opposite of what I needed, but I didn't realize it at the time. Surgery wasn't necessary, but there also wasn't much I could do but wait for my insides to sort themselves out. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! Best of wishes to your grandmother, and kudos to your family for coping so well with it.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Things are looking up.

My grandmother had her tube and IV removed today and ate her first meal as well. She described it as "okay"; her tomato soup wasn't flavorful enough. This means she is definitely feeling better. She will get to go home in a couple of days if there are no complications; my aunt and uncle are coming into town to help my parents look after her until she's back on her feet. Thank y'all for your best wishes for her.

Maggie is actually behaving herself. I suppose it's because we're more assertive than my grandmother. Either way, I do not have several puncture wounds in my leg from where she throws herself into my lap for a change.

And finally, the air conditioning is fixed! Hooray! Blessed sweet recycled air!

--------------------

Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Radical Dory:
My grandmother had her tube and IV removed today and ate her first meal as well. She described it as "okay"; her tomato soup wasn't flavorful enough. This means she is definitely feeling better.

It does indeed. As I discovered via my many surgical incarcerations and through what I saw of others' recoveries, once the patient starts bitching about the food, she's just about ready to be discharged. It even became a type of short-form I used with my surgeon, along the lines of "Lunch was terrible, so shouldn't you be signing my release papers about now? You know that when I start complaining about the food, it's a sure sign I'm ready to be sent home."

Barbara "that poor man - I know I spiced up his life, but I'm not sure he always appreciated it" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 99 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dory--
Glad to hear your g-ma is feeling better and that the Boston Terrorist, er terrier is starting to behave. Is Oscar a dog or a cat?

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sympathies to all, including Oscar. I hope things continue on the upswing.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also happy to hear better news. Enough is enough, already. And you didn't have to go to Australia.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory

quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
It does indeed. As I discovered via my many surgical incarcerations and through what I saw of others' recoveries, once the patient starts bitching about the food, she's just about ready to be discharged.

Never have truer words been spoken, especially applied to my grandmother. [Smile]

She's already called me twice today saying, "The doctor said I might get to go home today. Can you get ready to pick me up?" These I put forward to my mom on her cell, as she's a nurse and is much better at asking questions regarding exactly what the doctor said. For the record, she will probably (for real) get to come home tomorrow.

My grandmother is the stubbornest woman to walk the face of the Earth. Which is why I love her, as this becomes a constant source of admiration and amusement.

Oscar is a very wimpy Standard Schnauzer. More recent pics of him at the bottom. He's about twice her size but she has him utterly cowed.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages