snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » College Student Ignorance: When should we despair? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: College Student Ignorance: When should we despair?
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dog, do you ever chow down at the Sportsmen's Lodge? When we were visiting friends there last winter, we had a wonderful brunch there, and I remember the coffee as good to the last drop. I was the last one who dropped, and I should know.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zakor2
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zakor2   E-mail Zakor2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Today I stopped for drive-thru coffee: total 86c. I offered $1.11, and the young woman, I suspect a college student, took the bill and shook the change back into my hand, saying "It's only 86c." I said "I know," and gave it back to her. She came back to the window with a quarter, and a smile on her face, and said "I just knew you were doing something slick." [Roll Eyes]

Don't even get me started about the fun of the next stop at the post office, where I had to get an envelope weighed and then asked for twice the postage so that I could put the same stamps on the SAE I was enclosing. Hilarity ensued, as two staff attempted to figure out how to do this. [Roll Eyes]

Grah. Someone say something clever...

I had the same thing happen, habitually, in Indiana. The reply there was, "You gave me too much m oney."

My reply would be, "Yes, that's the routine, most of the time I give you TOO MUCH MONEY and you give me the difference."

"Oh."

Posts: 61 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I routinely use change on my cash purchases to make it so that I will get back a rounder number such as $.25, $.50, or $1.00. I have *never once* had a salesperson get confused when I handed them, say, $2.04 for something that costs $1.79. Based on the comments I have read in the many threads that have discussed this, it would seem that the salespeople / drive thru workers here in Southern CA have the strongest professional math skills in the nation. [Razz]
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs. from Georgia always carries exact change for anything we are buying. It's amazing. Sometimes it takes her twenty minutes to fish it all out, but she'll have it to the farthing.

Brad "penny, I mean. But if we had farthings, she'd do that, too." from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Class Bravo:
I routinely use change on my cash purchases to make it so that I will get back a rounder number such as $.25, $.50, or $1.00. I have *never once* had a salesperson get confused when I handed them, say, $2.04 for something that costs $1.79. Based on the comments I have read in the many threads that have discussed this, it would seem that the salespeople / drive thru workers here in Southern CA have the strongest professional math skills in the nation. [Razz]

That settles it. I don't care what other problems your schools have, Missouri needs to copy your system. Mine always get confused. My worst example, which I've told here before but bears repeating: My order came to (I think) 96¢. I gave the cashier $1 and a penny. She handed me back the penny and four more pennies!

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages