snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » My annual summer sucks rant (early this year) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My annual summer sucks rant (early this year)
BacardiSpice
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BacardiSpice   E-mail BacardiSpice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're heading into winter down here...and as much as I like every season for what are its strengths (which usually outweight the negative - never would have thunk I'm a glass-half-full gal), I miss summer already.

I miss getting home after my long commute and finding it's still warm enough and light enough to go down to the beach after work for a swim.

I miss evenings of body-surfing in my quest for the perfect wave.

I miss exploring the rockpools with my nephew and niece, and splashing around in them while we look for exotics that have come down on the EAC. I miss whole summer days on weekends of playing with them down in the surf.

I miss coming home afterwards, having a shower, then sitting out on the balcony with a cool drink at watching the sun set over the national park, feeling the warmth still soaking up through my toes.

I miss the song of the cicadas in the lingering warm twilight.

I miss NOT having to wear layer upon layer of clothes. And I don't mean traipising around in a bikini - just a nice, cool tank, shorts and thongs (flip-flops to those of you thinking of other garments!). Or my strappy summer dresses. (Okay...boots are a compensation for this, and one of the highlights of winter).

I miss lolling around on the boat between dives, soaking up sun, so when I'm just hot enough to bake I can hop in for another dive. And not having to make the transition between my 5mm wetsuit and dry clothes as quickly as possible, for fear of being flash-frozen in the windchill.

I miss going from one BBQ to the next, weeknights and weekends, all one happy Mojito and Caiproiska laden blur. I miss the holiday party season, where between Christmas and NY, life is one great, big endless outdoor party to the cicada soundtrack.

I miss sitting out in the beer garden at my favourite pub down at the waterfront...long evenings lying on the grass with beer and friends and watching the stars come out thickly and not having to worry about putting too many clothes on.

I miss being able to get up at 5.00 am for my run before work and not having to layer clothes, knowing I'll probably wind up carrying half of them if missed the exact right ratio and get too hot.

I miss not worrying if the Reynards Syndrome will kick in at any moment, and my fingers and toes will demonstrate their grievances with cold air by cutting of circulation to extremities.

Summer has its joys too.

Posts: 221 | From: Sydney | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
U.T. Raptor
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U.T. Raptor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Better than way too cold, like winter is. Besides, you can always sit around in your underwear, like I'm doing.

No, cold is preferable. Being sweaty sucks, and I don't sleep well when the room is hot. Also, cold doesn't make a warehouse turn into a nightmarish wet oven...

On a related note, I hate the weekly thunderstorms and the humidity that travels in their wake.

--------------------
"Elly: Oops, I'm a damsel in distress now. Better scream girlishly and all… ahem. EEEK!"

Schwarz: Look, there's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Ninja way.
Rey: Isn't that the wrong way?
Schwarz: Yup, only stealthier.

Posts: 546 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We get 4 seasons here. July, August, September then winter. [Wink] Whatever sun and heat comes in those 3 months we welcome it with open arms.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Prelude in G Minor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prelude in G Minor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate the heat of summer too, but I was born in the dead of winter, so that's probably why I like the cold. It was hot and humid today, and I just felt miserable all over.

That, and I have to go to school in summers (it's part of a 5-year co-op education,) so it's demoralizing when all my friends are out of school already.

And I'm sunburned!

Last time I was in Newfoundland--2003--the locals were complaining about a "heat wave" with temperatures in the low 80s (Fahrenheit of course.) It was lovely weather compared to what we have down here!

--------------------
Bad music affects me, but good music affects me even more.

Posts: 191 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frog_Feathers:
quote:
People who shouldn't wear revealing clothes do
Then there are those of us who know we should be wearing revealing clothes and suffer through the heat in jeans. I won't wear shorts, nobody needs to be exposed to that!
You know, FWIW, I use to really cover myself up because I felt too fat to wear tank tops & shorts. I still don't wear shorts (I can't seem to find ones that walk that line between long enough & too long so I usually stick to capris) but I do wear tank tops now. I realize that I have fat, untoned arms but if its hot outside, I'm wearing a tank top. Anyone whose offended by my fat arms can get over it! Why should I suffer just because someone might find my arms 'offensive'?

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone's nicked our spring and summer. It was cold cold cold until I think it was the first week in May, when it suddenly became sweltering, and now it's cold again.

I usually prefer the cold - but a bit of summerishness would be nice at some point. Please? I'm sick of wearing my coat in my office. Brrr!

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. I was in London very, very briefly last week and wondered what had happened to the weather. You seem to be stuck in February.

It's pleasantly warm here right now (38-40C), though we'll be going over 50C in a month or so. That really is a bit too much for my liking.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad it's not just me - this morning I was thinking "for flip's sake, it's nearly June! It can't be this cold". I even missed the "sweltering" bit apparently, although I do remember a few days of sun.

To be fair, for the last few years summer seems to have consisted of two nice weeks in May, and then to have disappeared until August or so, but this year we've not even had the two nice weeks in May. I think we're developing a "rainy season" instead... except that would be warmer...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Note to Richard: "sweltering" to me means anything 25C or above. Oh yes and four of those days were spent in Germany, so you might have missed them here [Wink]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, there was a nice warmish afternoon a few weeks ago, but I doubt it got to 25C in Ipswich. It then managed to look warm and sunny for the next few days but when we decided to go to pub gardens for lunch from the office, it turned out that it was only pretending.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 37 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You'd think I'd be used to the summers around here by now, but noooo. Last week, I had the heat on; Friday evening, I turned the AC on for the first time. Ah, May in the Mid-Atlantic! I'm in a quandry: we've had a dry spring which means very few mosquitoes. It's nice to be able to go outside without being chewed to pieces by those winged she-vampires. On the other hand, my allergies are really annoying me this year, even with medicine! [Frown] The tree pollen is past, it's grass pollen's time to come out and make my immune system miserable.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
HA! NOW you're in MY sandbox! All the people who thought I was a wimp for whining about it getting down to 37 last January: we're even. Bring on the heat.

I pay extra to my electric bill in the winter so it evens out in the summer (gas heat; my electric bills are all but invisible in the cold). I keep it cool when I'm in my apartment because I don't care to be uncomfortable.

My refrigerator is full of water bottles and I make herbal iced teas every night to refrigerate for the morning. The morning choice: strawberry, blueberry, mixed berry zinger? Lovely pretty drinks in cold, cold bottles.

Melon. Canteloupe, honeydew, canteloupe, watermelon, canteloupe. Did I mention canteloupe? Peaches, plums, cherries, nectarines: lovely cheap fruit.

The students are gone. Traffic is non-existant in my end of town. And when the traffic picks back up, I won't care because it will mean it's football season.

Baseball. Sorry, but it's hard to beat the sound of a baseball game floating through the apartment while I sew or cook.

Water, water, water, water. Lovely swimming pools at Mo's or my brother's or my place.

Summer shoes and lightweight skirts. A t-shirt and a $5 (if you sew) print skirt and a pair of flats (I found two pairs for $4.50 each at Target on clearance) and cheap sunglasses: I can hit the door with 5 minutes notice. No socks, gloves, scarves, jackets, hats trailing all over creation and left on buses.

The absolute dead silence of a Sunday afternoon about 3pm. No construction, no lawnmowers, no kids playing. It's the world's naptime and all you can hear are cicadas and air conditioners even 1 block from one of the city's busiest streets.

Swamp cooler? It's another term for evaporative cooler which uses water to chill the air. They seem more environmental friendly on the surface, but they use a LOT of water which is impractical in lots of places. See here: http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/WATER/evapcool.html

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 204 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle:
HA! NOW you're in MY sandbox! All the people who thought I was a wimp for whining about it getting down to 37 last January: we're even. Bring on the heat.

You sound like my husband; he's the summer lover in our house.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We haven't hit 100 yet here. It won't be long before we do.
We finally broke down and turned on the AC this weekend. Our house stays remarkably cool. Must be the big pecan tree that shades it.
The swimming pool is nice and crisp. Very refreshing.
My tan is awesome. I love summer.
guru

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Goombah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goombah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really have such a huge problem with the actual summer heat here in Huskerland but the humidity just kills me. I can't imagine how people who live in the tropics cope with it. Every third or fourth July I'll take a vacation to Las Vegas. The temp there is at least 15-20 degrees higher there than at home but it's nicely comfortable for me. I'll walk up and down the strip all afternoon with no issues except for the fact that I probably drink a liter of bottled water every 30-45 minutes.

With all that being said though, I'll take winter over summer any time. Winters are dry enough here that we usually don't get troublesome amount of snow and no amount of wind and cold can be as oppressive as >100° (F) and >90% humidity.

--------------------
Ok guys, try to remember this time. It's pillage first, then burn.

Posts: 179 | From: Holdrege, NE | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goombah:
Winters are dry enough here that we usually don't get troublesome amount of snow and no amount of wind and cold can be as oppressive as >100° (F) and >90% humidity.

Yes. Any amount of snow is more oppressive than 100/90%. Snow is pretty to look at, evil in person.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Florida summers are TEH EBIL. Humidity hits 100% sometime around March, getting into the car ensures that one's clothes will be soaked through with sweat, and of course, there's Hurricane Season! [flame]

Personally, I find that the heat makes my migraines worse as well -- which makes me a very cranky Elphie.

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaphHime

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaphHime   E-mail DaphHime   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Summer waffles!

As DaphHime confuses the Quote button with the Edit button again!

--------------------
"I was in one of those rare states where you curse someone else's misfortune."-Rikudo Koshi

Posts: 125 | From: Villa Park, IL | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaphHime

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaphHime   E-mail DaphHime   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by underfire:
I'm adding a complaint for all us college kids:

NOBODY is hiring now. All the highschool kids got the summer jobs because they were here to apply for them.

under"It's 90 out today"fire

Hear, hear! This is why I'm hesitant to get a job. I know all the jobs are already taken by those leachy high schoolers. [Razz] I know I'll have better luck finding a job when I go back to school in the fall.

Doesn't help that my parents are nagging me about it. And I got a rather nasty bout of summer laziness, where I just want to sleep all day. I take some of the best naps in the summer by the AC.

I really don't like very hot weather. Nice cool days I can tolerate.

I actually don't mind wearing long pants in summer. I hate shorts.

The few redeming parts of summer, no classes and my birthday is in a little over a month! [Big Grin]

That is...if my friends don't forget.... [Frown]

--------------------
"I was in one of those rare states where you curse someone else's misfortune."-Rikudo Koshi

Posts: 125 | From: Villa Park, IL | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight I need to go find my gloves. I was wearing my winter jacket (sans sweater and multiple layers) but I was missing my gloves. What's summer? It's currently 6 C/ 43 F. And the sun hasn't gone down yet.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You guys make me SO GLAD I live in California. As mild as the winters are in my area, they still seem like a weird aberration, and summer seems like the natural climate. Now that it's warm, everything feels normal again. I love summer- drinking beer on the stoop, sunlight until 9 pm, barbecues, sunny walks around the lake, wearing skirts and flip flops, snow cones, baseball, kids playing on the sidewalk.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pirateslife:
It's oppressively humid, so we have the added fun of when it gets up to the 100's, the heat index will make it feel 110 or 115.

Around here when it feels like it's 110 it's because the temperature actually is 110. I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

Of course I think California really only has two seasons: "rainy" and "dry."

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am still turning on my space heater every now and then. It's only 69F here brrr.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
I am still turning on my space heater every now and then. It's only 69F here brrr.

I would be happy if it were 69F all summer. [Big Grin]

Well, maybe not. But no warmer than 75F would be fine with me.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lately it seems like we only have summer and winter where I live, and go straight from one to another. I miss the mild days of spring and fall!

I do deal with summer better than winter however, I can't stand it when it is so cold my face feels like it's going to fall off and my nose aches and runs.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages