snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » My annual summer sucks rant (early this year) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My annual summer sucks rant (early this year)
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Summer sucks! I can't think of one redeeming thing about it:

It gets way too hot

Insects infiltrate everything

People who shouldn't wear revealing clothes do

Kids are out of school so have nothing better to do than hang out outside whatever business is open late enough to have customers they can harrass

Everyone at work gets lazy because "it's so nice out"

Ice cream parlors have lines out the door and full parking lots which makes everyone park in the road wherever they want (I really don't get this one. You can still eat ice cream in the winter yet almost no one does)

On the weekends, the sound of lawn mowers can be heard from morning to evening.

Spiders get everywhere! (I know this is covered in the insect one but spiders deserve a separate line)

The nice secluded path in the woods I found to walk my dog that almost no one knows about gets overgrown with thorns and who know what else.

Feel free to add to this list.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Corwin
I Am Curious Bluefin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corwin   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hubert Cumberdale:
Summer sucks! I can't think of one redeeming thing about it:

It gets way too hot

Better than way too cold, like winter is. Besides, you can always sit around in your underwear, like I'm doing.

quote:

Fair enough.

quote:

But people who _should_ wear revealing clothes also do.

quote:

Kids are out of school so have nothing better to do than hang out outside whatever business is open late enough to have customers they can harrass

I don't go to the 7/11 very often.

quote:

Not everyone does.

quote:

Ice cream parlors have lines out the door and full parking lots which makes everyone park in the road wherever they want (I really don't get this one. You can still eat ice cream in the winter yet almost no one does),

I think plenty of people eat ice cream in the winter; they just do it at home. And if you really don't understand the value of a cold treat on a hot day, I'm not sure there's any way that I can explain it to you.

--------------------
Then lightning struck... Bad lightning.

Posts: 259 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I just hate summers here too. [Wink]

Umbrella sales shoot up because people assume they can go out walking.

Everyone at work goes mad because the only fine day is usually a Monday to Friday one

People wear revealing clothes under their sweaters.

Is eating ice cream any different this time of year?

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It gets way too hot
Hear! Hear! I loathe the heat. You can always add a sweater if you're chilled, but you can only get undressed to a certain extent before its illegal or the kids need therapy.
quote:

Junebugs! Ack!
quote:

Then there are those of us who know we should be wearing revealing clothes and suffer through the heat in jeans. I won't wear shorts, nobody needs to be exposed to that!

My addition:

Kids are out of school and bored off their asses because its too hot to go outside and there's nothing on the 200+ channels on cable.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hubert Cumberdale:
It gets way too hot

On the weekends, the sound of lawn mowers can be heard from morning to evening.

Spiders get everywhere! (I know this is covered in the insect one but spiders deserve a separate line)

Welcome to Florida. We deal with this stuff year-round. Plus humidity. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 218 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And y'all are in the north. Which makes it worse in a way, I suppose, because a lot of places in the north don't have a/c, which is a necessity around here. May 27th in Memphis (my 24th birthday), the high for the day was 93 degrees F. It's oppressively humid, so we have the added fun of when it gets up to the 100's, the heat index will make it feel 110 or 115. At heat indexes of 110 or above, most outdoor sport practices are cancelled.
The mosquitoes are already feasting on my sister and me, and have been for 2 weeks.
But in the winter it gets cold and nasty, plus, though it freezes up or snows about once a winter, almost no one has learned to drive on the ice. People either go 10 mph everywhere, or they proceed to drive like a bat out of hell just like normal. It's a crazy place to live.

sorta spanked by Cervus

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only place I've ever lived up north that didn't have AC was in Anchorage, Alaska.

And we have that driver thing here too. Its like they forget that it snowed/iced a mere 9 months before.

The humidity kicks my butt too, I have asthma and I have to carry that stupid emergency inhaler everywhere. Although, it does get me out of too many outdoors activities. [Wink]

Frog-Sorry, I can't stay at the family picnic *wheeze* Asthma, you know-Feathers

--------------------
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 218 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The only place I've ever lived up north that didn't have AC was in Anchorage, Alaska.
Really? When my sister lived in Boston, almost no one had a/c. Same in the Denver area. She's thrilled to be moving into one of the few houses in Evergreen that has a real air conditioner.
Now if you can stand wearing mosquito repellent with DEET all day, Alaska is a mighty fine place to spend the summer. Absolutely gorgeous land. I spent three of the best summer vacations I've ever had in Alaska. But they have the biggest and most prolific skeeters I've ever seen!

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the heat. When it's -20 celsius for 4 months straight, and then it slowly warms up, past 0, past 10, past 20, and finally it hits 38 degrees today! (*yes!*) I become a very thankful MapleLeaf, with no plans to complain [Smile]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
csel's in 2nd Grade
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csel's in 2nd Grade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Really? When my sister lived in Boston, almost no one had a/c. Same in the Denver area. She's thrilled to be moving into one of the few houses in Evergreen that has a real air conditioner.
Pirateslife, the a/c numbers are going up here, esp. in the newer houses (and apartments, of course). A lot of us still have swamp coolers, tho' - because we don't have the humidity you do (THANK GOD!!), a swamp cooler is a good choice.

We have been getting hotter weather than we used to have, earlier in the year and more frequently. Global warming, jet stream changes, I dunno, but the weather here is changing. Your sis, being in Evergreen (lovely!), should be in great shape for the heat, with or without a/c.

I'm with Frogfeathers - what's the good about being hot? If you're cold, you can do something about it, but if I'm hot, I find it much more difficult to bring my temp down. I get sweaty and smelly and cranky and sleepy and [flame] . The only time I like being hot is if I can get into the water to cool down - like at the beach (a pool doesn't usually cut it for me) - and we don't have many of those around here. The beach is also the only time I can stand humidity.

As for driving, we are used to snow here - and still no one remembers how to drive in it, even 3 days later! [Roll Eyes] But at least in the winter I'm not panting from the heat and burning my hands on the steering wheel...

Totally get ice cream in the summer, tho' . Yeah. Think I'll go have some now.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"What is sin? I think sin is failure to grow."
-Lauren Slater, "Prozac Diary"

Posts: 172 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

I should say, I grew up "spoiled"- the Army quarters I lived in always had AC. And the few rentals I lived in while awaiting Army quarters as a spouse had AC as well. [Wink]

I actually used my asthma as the deal-maker for getting central AC in our house a few summers ago. I'm the only one in the family with asthma, so hardly anyone really knows what causes an attack. [Big Grin] Not that I abuse that fact. I swear!

--------------------

underfire and overrated
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for underfire and overrated     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm adding a complaint for all us college kids:

NOBODY is hiring now. All the highschool kids got the summer jobs because they were here to apply for them.

under"It's 90 out today"fire

--------------------
I'm not a beautiful and unique snowflake! I am the all-singing all-dancing crap of the world.

Posts: 111 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's a swamp cooler?

We always had AC when I was growing up, but it was one of those in-the-wall jobs, in the living room, and cool air didn't always make its way down the hall to the bedrooms. Where I live now, it's the first time I have ever had central air, and I will never live anywhere without it again. Between the ability to keep the windows closed for the duration of allergy season and the keeping the heat of summer out, it's been a godsend!

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll add to the chorus of voices that hate, hate, heat. I'd rather be cold. The contrast of hot summers to cold winters does not make me more comfortable. Nor have I ever "gotten used to" the heat, as people keep insisting I will. It still makes me headachy and dizzy and lightheaded and sometimes sick to my stomach. It's been doing that for 40+ years and I don't expect it to stop anytime soon. Greater exposure just makes me feel worse.

AC is far more commonly available in Ohio now than it was when I was growing up. I lived in Ohio for most my life until 1995, and lived in an air conditioned home only for about 9 months during college. When I returned to Ohio from the Seattle area in 2000, air conditioning would have been a deal-breaker when I went house-hunting, but all the houses I looked at had it anyway.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csel's cshells:
We have been getting hotter weather than we used to have, earlier in the year and more frequently. Global warming, jet stream changes, I dunno, but the weather here is changing.

Same up here in south-eastern Wyoming. When I was a kid we got by just fine with fans and now the new houses are going in with central air. A few years ago we had to break down and get a window AC unit for the living room/dining area because the front of the house has a southern exposure and gets unbearably hot. We're looking at replacing that and I have no idea if we'll go for a swamp cooler or another window unit.

I've never liked being too hot so this change in the weather patterns really gets to me. Even our perpetual wind doesn't help the heat much.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not a fan of the heat. Especially humid heat, although it appears most people are. I don't really mind dry heat as much though. Overall I do prefer the winter because I like winter clothes for some reason. I'm weird.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in St. Paul, the high yesterday was 97 F. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't even a record!

Coming from Colorado, I much prefer the dry heat to the humidity Minnesota gets. If it's 95 in CO vs. 95 in MN, I notice it and sweat more in MN. I hate, hate, hate humidity!

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Frog_Feathers, thanks for reminding me of junebugs. I have a healthy phobia of those things from the time I lived in Ohio... we had a broken window in our lovely military housing screen door, and we had taped cardboard over it until Monday when the repair folks could come by. Those evil things managed to pull UP the tape and start crawling in under the cardboard!

I'll stay up here in my 100 degree yet dry as a bone heat which seems to deter most evil bugs like that. We just get masses of earwigs. Uggh.

I'll gladly do 105 here compared to 85 in North Dakota or Ohio where we were stuck while hubby was active duty USAF. Humidity is TEH EBIL.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DakotaPride
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotaPride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I hate about summer is the kids that like to party on the country roads here, or use our grove and the old cemetery as a lover's lane.
I hate having to pick up all the beer cans, garbage, and other gross stuff.
I'll admit I love getting some giggles out of freaking the lovers out. I sneak out to the cemetery and wait until they get cozy, then do what my DH calls my banshee scream. They usually leave pretty fast. [lol]

Posts: 212 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the worst part of summer is that the air conditioning at work is always set too high for my area. It's winter until 4:30 every day.
Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaidenAthene
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaidenAthene   E-mail MaidenAthene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aud:
the worst part of summer is that the air conditioning at work is always set too high for my area. It's winter until 4:30 every day.

That's one of the worst things i hate about summer, is that you somewhat acclimated yourself to the heat, but what do you know, some stores set their AC's on to about 30 degrees, so you feel sick with cold and then the heat wave when you leave. It isn't healthy.

I hate living in an area where its actually dangerous to be outside for any length of time, be it UV rays or a heatstroke or a sunburn. I want to be outside!

--------------------
“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.” - Marilyn Manson
"Well, end more, your not ending enough!" - MST3K

Posts: 259 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
katsalittleyellowsongbird
The Spice Is Right

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katsalittleyellowsongbird     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow it's good to find like minded sane people. I despise the heat, and am trying to convince DH to move farther north, like Canada.He, on the other hand would like to move farther South. Like you, Frog Feathers, the heat and humidity plays with my asthma (I grew up in my parents basement every summer where it was cooler, otherwise I had pneumonia by September).I don't know how much longer I can hold him off though. [Eek!]
Posts: 73 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by katsalittleyellowsongbird:
I despise the heat, and am trying to convince DH to move farther north, like Canada.

*snerk*

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Callie Cat
Xboxing Day

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Callie Cat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:
I despise the heat, and am trying to convince DH to move farther north, like Canada.

*snerk*
Yeah, it's a chilly 42 C/107 F here today with the humidity. *brrrr* Luckily I have my toque on. [Wink]

Callie.

Posts: 1304 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callie Cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:

*snerk*
Yeah, it's a chilly 42 C/107 F here today with the humidity. *brrrr* Luckily I have my toque on. [Wink]

Callie.

Heh... the first summer I took my wife up to Canada, she asked if she should bring her winter jacket. [fish]

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it does depend on where in Canada you go. If you want cool summers there must be someplace that would work. Hmm, maybe Labrador?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the places that are cooler tend to be pretty humid, though. When I go to Vancouver Island the temperature is lovely, but I can barely walk for the humidity aches I get.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yellowknife! I actually got sent a job advert for a library position in Yellowknife the other day. Maybe?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callie Cat:
Yeah, it's a chilly 42 C/107 F here today with the humidity. *brrrr* Luckily I have my toque on.

I know what you mean. I have my winter parka on.

But that's only inside the air-conditioned office. [Razz]

In terms of the OP, I must disagree. This is the best time of the year. You don't have to put on oodles of clothing, the world works at a more relaxed pace, and the sun is shining for more than 10 minutes a day. I can't get enough. But that's probably the Mediterranean in me talking.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I left the house today and it was 92F and my whole body went "aaahhh". I love the summer and the heat. I'm not a big fan of the humidity. But, I'll take humidity over cold any day.

I hold out hope that one day I'll convince my DH to move south.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robofication, Lightly Roasted
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Summer. I live at a high elevation, no humidity whatsoever, and the latent heat isn't much of a problem.

Summer just depresses the hell out of me.

You've heard of Season Affective Disorder (SAD) in the Winter? I feel like I have it in the Summer. MD's say SAD is more prevelant in the Winter seasons because of less daylight. If that were true, then it would be a physiological response, AND I WOULDN'T FEEL LIKE CRAP IN THE SUMMER!

I hate Summer. I can't wait until October. I wish I could drink away the part of the day that I cannot sleep away.

But I don't drink. And I can't sleep due to work. Damn friggin' summer.

--------------------
"As convenient as it may be, it's time I started taking responsibility for the messes I've created instead of always blaming everything on the law of entropy"

Posts: 453 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Today was miserable. I spent the day at my parents house sweating to death (until I accidently feel in the pool... they just opened it and it was very cold, but then I could bitch about that... although soon even the water will be unconfortably warm).

The kids (neighbourhood ones) will soon be out of school and probably bugging me on a more regular basis.

Hate the bugs.

Hate the energy cost... seems it cost more to stay cool than warm.

I'm another that thinks cold is better because you can add a sweater but there is only so much you can or should take off.

I start to hate all the country music. All summer my parents' neighbours stay outside all the time (last year they installed an above ground pool so its still the cool new toy) and blast country music. Lucky me got to listen to it for most of the day today. I think they are great people but I'm glad they aren't my neighbours.

Woodpeckers mistaking gutters for trees and pound away at them at 6 in the morning.

Pools. I'm glad I don't own one but my parents do which means maintanience, security (perhaps the screaching of a pool alarm should a neighbour hit a golf ball in the thing, or the worries of drowned kids). Oh there's just too much stuff to mention. Pools are problems. They're fun to visit but I'd never want to own one. Sadly I do end up taking care of theirs and their animals when they leave town... one more reason to hate summer.

All kid places get far more busy. I don't like big crowds.

At least in winter you have the posibilty of snow and don't have to mow the lawn.

Spring is usually fairly pleasant here and there are all the new flowers and blossoms.

But my favourite season is fall. The weather starts to cool down. Leaves turn pretty colours. And I know that it will be awhile before summer comes again.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Robofication, Lightly Roasted:
You've heard of Season Affective Disorder (SAD) in the Winter? I feel like I have it in the Summer. MD's say SAD is more prevelant in the Winter seasons because of less daylight. If that were true, then it would be a physiological response, AND I WOULDN'T FEEL LIKE CRAP IN THE SUMMER!

That's weird, I just sent an email to my husband where I speculated that I had SAD in reverse. I pine for cool, overcast days. The perfect weather for me is what I call "sweater weather". It's probably one reason why I love England but, at least where I've lived there, there is way more sunshine then people let on.

That said, I do love the idea of summer. At the end of June I still get that fabulous "no more teachers, no more books" feeling of total freedom. Good times.

--------------------

cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have AC here in Michigan. I don't think we did when I was little, but then again half the time me and my brothers were in the lake half the summer anyway. [Big Grin]

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robofication, Lightly Roasted
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Christie,

When I was in England (for a month and a half), I never felt better. And this was during the summer months. It rained nearly everday, was overcast, and when the sun was out, wasn't *too* hot.

I live in Colorado. Apparently, we have the highest number of sunny days in the entire US. I hate it.

I'd move, but I don't even know how to begin looking for a job in another state, least of all outside the country. It paralyzes me.

--------------------
"As convenient as it may be, it's time I started taking responsibility for the messes I've created instead of always blaming everything on the law of entropy"

Posts: 453 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages