snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Can I pre-emptively snopes myself?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can I pre-emptively snopes myself?
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently accused of perpetuating an internet hoax.

Long story short, my idiot neighbor had an accidental discharge with his .44 Magnum. The bullet ended up in my spare bedroom. Unusual, but not unbelievably bizarre.

I took a few pix of the damage and put them on my blog. I didn't advertise it, or even push for attention. I haven't even mentioned it here until now. It now has had over 600 comments from all over the world.

I have one particulary rabid skeptic who has been particularly nasty with his ad hominem attacks, personal insults, and insulting insights into my psyche as to why I would stage such a "hoax."

So. Before I link to this, any suggestions? Does snopes even want to look at something this?

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd wait until snopes or Barbara get it in their inbox. Fortunately, for them, confirming it's true should be fairly easy.

Oh, and tell the skeptic to NFBSK off. May not accomplish much, but damn if it don't feel good. [Big Grin]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if you have the pictures and you want to post them in the Photo Gallery, I guess people here will pick it apart and tell you whether they think it's real. Except that forum is usually for asking whether a picture you FOUND is real or not. But hey, if you want to...

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James of Maine
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James of Maine     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is your rabid skeptic accusing you of staging it because he percieves some kind of "anti-gun agenda" on your part?

Accidental discharges are a dirty little secret in the world of "responsible" firearms users-- both private enthusiasts and professionals such as cops. If it doesn't result in bodily injury, doesn't cause highly visible damage, and isn't witnessed by a lot of people, it often just isn't talked about, to save face.

A close relative of mine (and no, it's not me) once accidentally discharged a .38 Special revolver while cleaning it at his house. He was "sure" he had unloaded it. The bullet travelled about 6 feet, making clean holes through the frame of a mirror and two interior walls before lodging several inches lengthwise in a plywood shelf in a linen closet.

I would imagine the damage caused by a .44 Mag would be pretty impressive indeed.

Posts: 48 | From: near Portland, Maine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I own guns, and I work with guns. I'm not anti-gun, just anti-idiot.

He claims I'm attention whoring, and "proved" it by throwing a bunch of supposed forensic ballistic numbers at me, despite not having any measurements whatsoever on our apartment complex.

Nothing seems to dissuade him.

Here's the link:

http://antiotter.livejournal.com/144625.html

--------------------

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy crap!

Excellent hole patch job, by the way.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
Holy crap!

Yeah, that just about covers it. [Eek!]

Glad you're okay.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adelaide
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also have a relative who had a co-worker over, who "accidentally" discharged a .357 in my relative's apartment. The bullet traveled at least 6 feet through the apartment, through the exterior wall, across approx. 6 more feet of open space, through another exterior wall into a neighbor's apartment, and then lodged in the back of a chair. The neighbor didn't even know it had happened.

I think there were a few pair of soiled undies after that incident.

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Greg,

Good to see you are around.

For the ballistics wannabes (I think there are two attempting to call you out) I would tell them to stuff a sock in it.

I have quite a background in ballistics (mostly artillery and rocket, but the principles are the same) and some of their comments (and formulas) are really ones that amateurs would make.

For example, in the discussion on the impact on your desk, both of the fellas discussing it do not make any thought about the angle of incidence to your desk. If a projectile impacts with an object and it's angle of incidence is under 30 degrees, chances are that it will ricochet. Looking at the photo, I would guess that the angle from hole in the wall to impact on desk is less than 30 degrees.

Another example, the reason your doorframe withheld the impact of the bullet is based upon three simple facts, which your comrades do not seem to take into account.
  • Even handgun magnum rounds are low velocity compared to longarm weapons. All the added propellant to the magnum round does is push the all burnt point closer to the muzzle (and often beyond it) creating relatively unstable ballistic patterns on the projectile.
  • The shape of a 44 magnum round is not very aerodynamic, and once it hits something, even something as minor as a wall and mirror, it will start tumbling. This tumbling may be in the form of an end over end tumble, or merely a tail wobble. Regardless, every 20 calibres travel along its trajectory it is bleeding off speed.
  • Finally, with each contact with another surface (from your count I read three walls and a desk before it hits your door jamb) significant amounts of momentum are lost. Whether or not your opponent has a fancy formula is of no consequence. Bleed 10 to 15% at each impact and by the time it hits your door jamb, you are looking at 40 to 60% of its speed being bled off.
So, I would also like to point out to your detractor that the stippling of the mirror around the hole, coupled with the fact that it appears that someone tried to wipe off some residue afterwards, is consistent with a high velocity penetration of glass. The spider web feature that many people look for is a feature of safety glass, or regular glass with a large, low velocity projectile such as a rock.

(I've fired a few .22 bullets into glass to have seen many, many impacts such as the one in your neighbour's window.)

For my qualifier, when in theatre, I assist in forensic analysis of ballistic characteristics of projectiles and their trajectories. I don't care for the projectile itself (that is someone else's department) but I am very concerned about how it got there. So, professionally, I have seen a few bullet holes.

Feel free to copy and paste anything I have said to your blog. [Wink]

My reference material : The Book

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure if snopes posted something about it that would make the skeptics and gawkers go away quickly. Not. (You've been a member here for almost three years. You must read the We've Got Mail section sometimes. So you should know an article on snopes will only increase the number of people viewing your page and, therefore, increase the number accusing you of a hoax.)

I'm glad you weren't hurt and it's an amazing story but, frankly, what did you expect when you posted this kind of story, with pictures, on your blog?

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, at least with a neighbour with an arsenal like that you'll know that you'll be able to defend the house against an invasion by a minor nation...

Is there any reason for a civilian to ever have a loaded handgun outside of the shooting range?

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

UEL, thanks so much. I'm guessing it did do some sort of tumbling, because when I pried the round out of the doorframe, it was lodged in sideways.

Impacts of the bullet:

Mirror, closet door, wall, desk, doorframe.

--------------------

Kitten in the rain
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitten in the rain     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who looked at those pictures and thought "OMG! The bullet almost hit his computer!!!"?

I know. It's a disease. [Wink]

Posts: 533 | From: Davis, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
put a high paying advert on your blog. Post a "clarification". Email this clarification to a variety of news sites. Watch as you get millions of hits.

Easy money

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:

Is there any reason for a civilian to ever have a loaded handgun outside of the shooting range?

Over here we call our reasons "bad people." And "low police presence."

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But bear in mind that many of us live all our lives (so far) without encountering either. 'Course, when we do, chances are they're armed too, so it's a bit of a vicious circle. Personally, I'd rather be unarmed and know the bad guys are too, but since that won't be happening anytime soon, I guess the next best thing is just to be unarmed.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Billy Biggles
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Biggles   Author's Homepage   E-mail Billy Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the antiotter blog:

quote:
Note the twin .50AE Desert Eagles, M-16 magazine, loose ammo, and .357 Magnum laying around like toys. Nice. The .44 Magnum he nearly killed me with is out of sight.
Greg of Winter, is your neighbour acquainted with the Thurberian expression "I tell you there isn't going to be an insurrection!"?

And from the comments on your blog...

quote:
In all seriousness.. I'm really happy you're not dead. That would be a bummer.
I am going to set up a sockpuppet called Chardonnay (she's fifteen and she has got like total attitude problems, and I am going to use that as her sig.

--------------------
Cogito ergo sum, non sum qualis eram. Putting Descartes before the Horace every time.

Posts: 377 | From: East Anglia, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh come on. It was obvious he was trying to clean his guns. Don't you see the soap on the counter?

[fish]

Seriously, glad you're okay, Greg. That's pretty damn terrifying.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten in the rain:
Am I the only one who looked at those pictures and thought "OMG! The bullet almost hit his computer!!!"?

Erm *shamefaced look* I thought the same thing.

Then I thought of the fact that he was playing WoW instead of Lineage. [Razz]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Over here we call our reasons "bad people." And "low police presence."
Then you load the gun when you KNOW you'll need it, you never keep a loaded gun at home. If you have time to go fetch the gun, you have time to put a few cartridges in it.

Also, remember that the main reason to own a gun is so that you will not have to use it. Waving an unloaded gun is just as effective deterent as waving a loaded gun, and you really do not want to shoot someone if it can be avoided.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moth Drone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth Drone   E-mail Moth Drone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Love the good use for the flack jacket at the end. Thanks for the laugh, Greg of Winter. And glad you're all right.
Posts: 182 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mnotr2
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnotr2   E-mail mnotr2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Waving an unloaded gun is just as effective deterent as waving a loaded gun, and you really do not want to shoot someone if it can be avoided.

No Troberg, waving an unloaded gun is a real good way to get killed. Waving any gun is a sure sign that you're a moron.

--------------------
Infinite goodness is creating a being you know, in advance, is going to complain.
Captain Billy Cutshaw

Posts: 582 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

I didn't say that it was smart, just that it was as effective as waving a loaded gun.

--------------------
/Troberg

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Until your bluff is called.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, Greg I just had a quick question...
Just curious if you were sitting straight when that happened, or leaning to the (left) side at all?
The reason I ask is I am left rather than right handed, my mouse is on the right (opposite side) and I tend to lean in my computer chair to the right, meaning if that was me I'd probably be at the very least missing a chunk of scalp... [Eek!]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah!

And if you have time to go get the gun and then go get the ammo, you have time to twist some wire into a spring to fit into the magazine!!

And if youhave time to get the gun and get the ammo and twist the wire, you also have time to fabricate the entire magazine!

And if you have time for that, you have time to forge and mill the entire gun!!

Sorry, Troberg, pacifism has its place, and when considering reaching for a firearm, it is NOT the place.

And Greg, I'm glad you didn't experience the ballistics performance personally as well! DAMN! With MY luck, I would have been playing Medal of Honor online ... "WOW! What REALISM!! They downloaded BLOOD onto me!"

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dude, glad your OK!!! [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander with cheese on rye:
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten in the rain:

Erm *shamefaced look* I thought the same thing.

Then I thought of the fact that he was playing WoW instead of Lineage. [Razz]

Make that 'me three'... First thought was 'Holy NFBSK Batman! Thank God he's OK!' Then, The SOB almost hit the laptop too!'

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
Sorry, Troberg, pacifism has its place, and when considering reaching for a firearm, it is NOT the place.
Don't mistake me for a pacifist. I just think that the danger of keeping a loaded gun is greater than the danger that you might not have time to load it.

That's why the only gun I keep loaded is the one in my pants... [Big Grin]

--------------------
/Troberg

RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Greg,
I have been thinking about this all night. I'll bet he was standing in front of the mirror, practicing his draw, and watching himself say, "Make my day, punk."

I am glad you didn't get shot.

So much for fire resistant walls in your apartment, I guess.

John

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had the "OMG almost hit the computer too" thought. Then I was trying to see what realm he was playing on in WoW [Smile]

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 212 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn!! [Eek!] Glad you weren't hit!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad you're ok.

To some degree, I can relate and "feel your pain." I'm a shooting instructor and one of the things I try to tell people is to not believe all of the crap they hear about guns.

Almost any time I tell someone something that conflicts with what they "know" to be true, they accuse me of making it up or simply not knowing what I'm talking about about.

Robbiev -if you read it in a gun magazine, it MUST be true- 427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Well, it could have been worse.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages