snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » If you don't like it, then don't watch it. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: If you don't like it, then don't watch it.
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's something I never really understood: if someone is complaining about a show, why would they keep watching it? It's really not so much that they're complaining about a show it's just that if you don't like it, then why go through all of the trouble of watching it repeatedly? This isn't really even about being offended or anything--simply if you don't enjoy watching the show, then watch something else or do something else or something but I don't think in general nobody is forcing anybody to watch X-Play.

Of course, there are times where you maybe forced to watch something you hate, but I can understand that. I don't know why I suddenly brought this up, but at another forum I post a while back the subject was brought up. Of course, said forum isn't really the best forum ever. Yeah, I don't know, it's that why make yourself go through supposed crap if you don't have to?

How strange that I always post these kinds of topics late at night. <_<

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spooky Cactus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spooky Cactus   E-mail Spooky Cactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get it either.. I hear people whinging about Big Brother all the time, and I'm like, 'Hey, I don't like Big Brother either.. so I don't watch it!' How hard is that?

--------------------
'When the world is dead and gone, we will still be Rocking On!' (J.P.McCartney)

Posts: 154 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never understood it. My parents are great at complaining about what they are watching but when you suggest they just turn it off they look at you like you're some kind of alian. Changeing the channle also seems to be a difficult thing for some people to figure out.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking about it harder, I suppose it would be a tad bit rude if someone was trying to start up a conversation by saying how much they hate a show and the other person replies "Why do you keep watching it?"

But when they constantly do it you just have to wonder whether they know they have the ability to change the channel.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Miles Invictus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Invictus   E-mail Miles Invictus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what's a fun thing I do, when this sort of thing comes up? I not only repeatedly suggest that they stop watching, but I become more and more insistent as time goes on. For some reason, my efforts (and offers to change the channel) are usually met with a stony silence, if not angry rejection.
Posts: 236 | From: Iowa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jdmarlin06
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdmarlin06     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I admit to doing this but I only have 4 tv channels(ABC, NBC, CBS, and WB) so its really just a lack of options in my case.
Posts: 89 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition to the channel changing button, there is also a power button.

No snark intended, I sometimes find myself watching shows I am not that excited about rather than turning the TV off, too. I'm not sure why-- there's something pleasantly mind-emptying about watching TV sometimes.

~Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone else ever suddenly realise that they've been watching a dodgy middle-of-the-night infomercial for the latest amazing breakthrough in fitness, hair removal or food processors when they really should have been in bed hours earlier?

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mind when people complain about shows they actually watch. What really gets me cross is when people insist that a show they don't watch is "the worst show on TV". And you would know this because? I mean sure there are always going to be programs we don't like, even programs we hate - but what qualifies you to decide that something is "the worst show on TV" just because *you* don't like it? People are strange [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's funny you brought up Xplay becuase I hate it yet (yeah Morgan Webb is hot. So what? There's no shortage of hot chicks on tv. I could on about G4 but that's another rant for anoter time) I sill watch it from time to time though since it's one of the few shows on TV that reviews video games. I know I could use the internet but I don't always feel like it.

Another show I don't like but I watch regularly is The Sopranos. The reason for that is I've been watching it from the beginning and I want to see how it will end. And even though it's gone way downhill since season 4 there will occasionally be a few good episodes per season that will make it worth watching. But the majority of the time I'll end up bitching about how lame it's getting.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This horrifies some people when they find out, while others are sure I'm teasing them, but the fact is, I have no television.

Well, more precisely, there's one in a closet in the second bedroom, because a roommate moved out and left it behind, but it's not plugged in. I haven't owned a TV in over a decade, and when I did I only watched one show (Star Trek: TNG) occasionally.

I subscribe to what Gallagher (the comedian) said once: I'll buy a television when they make one that lets me turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness", but it don't work!

I have plenty of things to do with my time, from reading, singing, attending Open Mikes and other concerts, walking my own dog, volunteering at the shelter and D&D on Sundays that I not only don't miss what I've never really had, but I'd actually consider it a dangerous waste of time.

So call me weird. I'm OK with that.

Dog (and of course, computer games and snopes) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Samantha Vimes
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Vimes   E-mail Samantha Vimes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't watch shows I don't like. But I imagine people who do probably watch it because of herd mentality. It's on all the magazine covers, their friends talk about it, so they worry if they don't watch they won't be "in the know"... as if knowing about what happened on TV is important.
They probably also buy name brand products, and know who all the big celebrities are, right?

Posts: 457 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YudanTaiteki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YudanTaiteki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Friendly:

I subscribe to what Gallagher (the comedian) said once: I'll buy a television when they make one that lets me turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness", but it don't work!

I have plenty of things to do with my time, from reading, singing, attending Open Mikes and other concerts, walking my own dog, volunteering at the shelter and D&D on Sundays that I not only don't miss what I've never really had, but I'd actually consider it a dangerous waste of time.

This is probably a separate thread, but I've always been annoyed by people who act like they're better than everyone else (or smarter) because they don't own a TV. There was a great Onion article a while back about it.
Posts: 333 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 102 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well I admit to doing this but I only have 4 tv channels(ABC, NBC, CBS, and WB) so its really just a lack of options in my case.
The book dork replies:
No library, used book store, or even a Barnes and Noble? In that case, you really DON'T have many options! But I understand, not everyone considers reading a form of entertainment.
I occasionally watch the news. Battlestar Gallactica is about the only show I watch, and I had to quit watching it a quarter of the way into the season due to school related time constraints. I still don't know what went on this season, but I made Dean's List, so I think it was a worthy sacrifice. But ususally, I read. I love to read, and I work at a used book store, so that just fuels my reading. No wonder I rarely watch TV, I'm too addicted to books!
People like to complain. About the only time I feel like putting up with TV show complaints is when they used to watch it, but it became annoying/cliche/stupid/whatever, so they quit. Or when they cancelled something that didn't need cancelling (Firefly garners the majority of those complaints). After the X-files became totally conspiracy alien theory instead of lots of cool unexplainable things, (especially after Mulder disappeared), I didn't care for it much anymore, so I stopped watching it. Occasianally, I'll complain that I liked it before it alienated me. [fish]
But my sister and I do like to make fun of stupid people on shows. We like yelling at the TV.
ETA: I prefer to watch movies or past seasons of Bablyon 5 on the TV than what is currently on.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pirateslife:
quote:
The book dork replies:
No library, used book store, or even a Barnes and Noble? In that case, you really DON'T have many options! But I understand, not everyone considers reading a form of entertainment.

Hmm, I have a book-a-day habit but that doesn't mean I don't watch TV and often TV shows I don't particularly like (it's called one TV in a family of 4). When we last lived in England we only had 5 channels and when we all were together we spent a fair bit of time either trying to find something to watch on one of those channels or putting on a movie. Reading is a solitary pursuit - watching TV is not (or doesn't have to be). And while there are a multitude of other activities that can be done, it is not, IMO, a bad thing to want to watch TV.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And while there are a multitude of other activities that can be done it is not, IMO, a bad thing to want to watch TV.
I never said it was. I did say that I watched a few shows myself (I mentioned X-files and Battlestar Galactica), but I usually prefer older shows that are no longer on TV (Babylon 5 and others), so I watch them on DVD. If the TV show seems to suck, then why watch it and complain when you could have fun doing something else?
quote:
Reading is a solitary pursuit - watching TV is not (or doesn't have to be).
Reading does not have to be a solitary pursuit, either. In library time at lower school, our teacher used to read to the class. That was not solitary. I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to SO, and I'm in the process of reading The Colour of Magic to him. My sister has read the first 4 Harry Potters to her husband.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YudanTaiteki:
This is probably a separate thread, but I've always been annoyed by people who act like they're better than everyone else (or smarter) because they don't own a TV.

Thank you. I'm not inplying Dog Friendly is one of these people, but I have met folks with this attitude. I don't watch a lot of TV, but there *are*, in fact, some intelligent programs that do get aired. However, there's a difference between not liking to watch TV in genreal, and thinking that anyone who does watch it is wasting their mind.

Although I have been accused of thinking myself better than others because I don't wear a watch or own a cell phone. Now, I do think I'm better than a lot of people, but that's not dependent on how few gadgets I own! [Razz]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
quote:
Reading is a solitary pursuit - watching TV is not (or doesn't have to be).
Reading does not have to be a solitary pursuit, either. In library time at lower school, our teacher used to read to the class. That was not solitary. I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to SO, and I'm in the process of reading The Colour of Magic to him. My sister has read the first 4 Harry Potters to her husband.
Fair enough, but in general I don't think I'm going out on a limb by suggesting that most people read to themselves unless they are reading to their children. I can just see the look on my husband's face if I ever said "Oh hon turn off the TV now while I read An Owl Too Many to you."

--------------------

Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never understood the self important "I don't have a TV" people either.

So you've choosen not to have a form of communications in your house. Whadya want a cookie? Doesn't make a member of the Algonquin Round Table.

There is a lot of crap on television. But you know what the crap to good stuff ratio is about the same as the crap to good stuff ratio on radio, books, magazines, video games, and far, far better then on the internet which is rapidly getting dumbed down to the CB radio craze of the 70s level.

I've never understood what people see as so damn intellectually self depreciated about television. What makes reading a book or listening to music so much more thought provoking then watching television?

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really don't like reading aloud, and I'm not that crazy about being read to anymore, though I did read aloud to my kids when they were little. For, me reading is a quiet private activity, one that I don't want to share. Reading aloud doesn't allow me to fall into the story or have the "theatre of the mind" sort of thing going on. YMMV.

I don't watch shows I don't like voluntarily. My 14 year old, unfortunately though, has horrendous taste in TV IMHO and I quite often end up stuck watching, Disney, old reruns of, ugh...Full House, and reality shows which I can't stomach. Fortunately, I always have books, newspapers, and the computer at those times, but sometimes the pure awfulness just cannot be completely drowned out. [Frown]

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvanz:
I don't watch shows I don't like voluntarily. My 14 year old, unfortunately though, has horrendous taste in TV IMHO and I quite often end up stuck watching, Disney, old reruns of, ugh...Full House, and reality shows which I can't stomach. Fortunately, I always have books, newspapers, and the computer at those times, but sometimes the pure awfulness just cannot be completely drowned out. [Frown]

P&LL, Syl

I have seen far more episodes of "Saved By the Bell" then any adult should be exposed to without getting a paycheque for it. What kills me is **now** my daughter turns up her nose at it and sneers at how bad it is. Thanks, dear, you couldn't have had this epiphany a few years ago [Big Grin] ?

--------------------

Hubert Cumberdale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
I've never understood the self important "I don't have a TV" people either.

So you've choosen not to have a form of communications in your house. Whadya want a cookie? Doesn't make a member of the Algonquin Round Table.

There is a lot of crap on television. But you know what the crap to good stuff ratio is about the same as the crap to good stuff ratio on radio, books, magazines, video games, and far, far better then on the internet which is rapidly getting dumbed down to the CB radio craze of the 70s level.

I've never understood what people see as so damn intellectually self depreciated about television. What makes reading a book or listening to music so much more thought provoking then watching television?

My thought exactly. And even if television is the dumbest form of entertainment around, which it isn't, so what? Why does eveything we do have to be the most intellectually stimulating activity possible?
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:
I have seen far more episodes of "Saved By the Bell" then any adult should be exposed to without getting a paycheque for it. What kills me is **now** my daughter turns up her nose at it and sneers at how bad it is. Thanks, dear, you couldn't have had this epiphany a few years ago ?
Oh man Christie, are you telling me that some day maybe even before this child moves out I will get a repreive from watching the pure dreck that is "Full House?" (though usually I leave the room and just have to {gulp} listen to it) Oh my it sounds like the sun may come back up eventually. [Big Grin]

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone ever find themselves watching a show for the first time after its been on awhile.

My partner like Two and a Half Men, some lame show came on after it then CSI Miami, we watched it, then I wanted to compare it to the other CSI's, and I am hooked.

Most shows come on I am either reading, playing on the computer, but that I will actually watch.

Kathy

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I stopped watching Survivor when it hit me (after the 2nd episode...1st season) A camera man is taping them, and you know he's not eating bugs.

The reality was gone for me!

Kathy

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
Does anyone else ever suddenly realise that they've been watching a dodgy middle-of-the-night infomercial for the latest amazing breakthrough in fitness, hair removal or food processors when they really should have been in bed hours earlier?

I do. When I'm tired I have a tendency to get sucked into whatever is on and have found myself watching the weirdest stuff. The other night it was something on how zippers are made.

Noemi "ooohh, zippers, that's cool"

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitten in the rain
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitten in the rain     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a TV for the sole purpose of watching movies. I don't see the point of paying for cable because whenever I'm over at my father's place and I settle down to turn the TV on while I do some knitting, the only thing I can usually find on that's even tolerable is a funny animal show.

I do miss getting to watch the Daily Show and South Park, but I don't see the point of paying for cable service solely for those two shows.

So I'm one who suggests to the "this show sucks!" people that they turn off the TV. I won't claim to be intellectually superior, because I use most of my non-TV time playing computer games and messing around on the internet, which is hardly better. But I will claim that I'm intellectually superior in that I don't sit through watching shows that I hate. I think anyone with the brains to say 'this is a waste of my time... I think I'll do something else' is intellectually superior to someone who doesn't think to do more than complain. [Razz]

Posts: 533 | From: Davis, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me as another who finds themselves watching whatever is on, which is usually things of the B-Movie type. Just last night I found myself watching a movie about a mutant alligator or something.

Strangely enough, I usually just leave the TV on for background noise. To be honest though, I'm finding myself using it mostly for videogaming these days.

--------------------

LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:

Well, I won't watch the fitness ones. They're boring. But anything to do with food (Magic Bullet, George Foreman Grill, vacuum sealing bag-thingy, juicer) can keep me entertained for hours.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I leave the tv on for comfot noise as well, but it's usually on something moderatly educational.

I can also program my watching schedule a few hours in advance, so even if I'm not watching it, it's interesting through osmosis.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaidenAthene
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaidenAthene   E-mail MaidenAthene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kch8021:
I stopped watching Survivor when it hit me (after the 2nd episode...1st season) A camera man is taping them, and you know he's not eating bugs.

The reality was gone for me!

Kathy

Oh, please. I knew it wasn't 'reality' when it is aired on television. Its just unscripted. But i enjoyed the shows, until what's her face won a few seasons back (Then it started to turn into something like the Real World, blegh). Why would/should the entertainment value decrease when you realise its not reality? What makes people think that anything on tv is reality anyway? Well, maybe the news, but that's debatable. [Wink]

I agree with Cervus (And others) that just because it is telivision, doesn't mean its a brain-drain. There's enough romance novels, porn, b-movies, et al. to know that all platforms of entertainment has some sort of cheese factor, and so what? You aren't better or worse if you choose to avoid or watch these things.

/Gets off tangent

I just think its sad that some people dissalow you to change the channel, for example, there's this song you HATE on the radio, and someone else likes it, so to refrain yourself from complaining the whole time, its a gladiator struggle to change it to something mutually good.

--------------------
“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.” - Marilyn Manson
"Well, end more, your not ending enough!" - MST3K

Posts: 259 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
//Getting on tangent//

"Reality TV" is the biggest BS marketing phrase in the history of television.

Reality TV shows are just self important gameshows that last a season instead of an episode.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jdmarlin06
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdmarlin06     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The book dork replies:
No library, used book store, or even a Barnes and Noble? In that case, you really DON'T have many options!

I live 45 minutes from the nearest city with a public library or Barnes and Nobles. Used book stores don't even exist there except for the one on the college campus. What can I say, I live in the middle of a very rural county.
Posts: 89 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YudanTaiteki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YudanTaiteki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I think the term "reality" is kind of a misnomer, I don't think that so-called "reality shows" are like anything else on television and they do deserve their own genre title, whatever that might be. To me they don't quite qualify as game shows, and they're not documentaries, but they're different from scripted TV shows.
Posts: 333 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Originally posted by YudanTaiteki:
quote:
While I think the term "reality" is kind of a misnomer, I don't think that so-called "reality shows" are like anything else on television and they do deserve their own genre title, whatever that might be. To me they don't quite qualify as game shows, and they're not documentaries, but they're different from scripted TV shows.
Suggestion for genre title: "Cheap (for the network) place for attention starved egomaniacs to make fools of themselves in front of millions, sometimes for money." Too long huh? How about just, "Crap." All IMHO of course.

P&LL, Syl'I really hate those shows'vanz

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages