snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Fireworks, why are you so not worth the money!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fireworks, why are you so not worth the money!
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 602 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So it's Victoria Day today in Canada, and I bought some fireworks and set them off in the park. And it cost me $30. And it sucked. I mean it was kinda cool to light them, but it's basically a pop and a coloured light flying up in the air, and then it's gone. I should've splurged for 5 really expensive ones than bought a whole bunch of cheap ones.

It's capped off what has been a depressing day [Frown]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaidenAthene
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaidenAthene   E-mail MaidenAthene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember last year lighting bottle rockets and throwing them in the lake, and they would swish in the water and then light up the water when they finally exploded. It was rather neat, and probably not very legal.

I agree, they aren't really fun, unless you are buying 100 dollars worth of them, and big loud ones.

We also tied about 12 mortars together and lit them all at once, but they didn't really fly at the same time, though.

--------------------
“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.” - Marilyn Manson
"Well, end more, your not ending enough!" - MST3K

Posts: 259 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
So it's Victoria Day today in Canada, and I bought some fireworks and set them off in the park. And it cost me $30. And it sucked. I mean it was kinda cool to light them, but it's basically a pop and a coloured light flying up in the air, and then it's gone. I should've splurged for 5 really expensive ones than bought a whole bunch of cheap ones.

Usually I wait until the day after the holiday, and buy them half price.... so I celebrate a day late, big deal. If you store them right, they still work next year.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
bonfires are a better bang for your buck. Nothing like a great huge fire and some good music.

you can also play the "what's flammable" game if you don't care for your eyebrows that much.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I could get fireworks here, they are hard to get and the ones smuggled in are way expensive.

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
bonfires? Yep they http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v136/River/?action=view¤t=fire.jpg are much safer. My dad loves his fires. I have to scan a pick of this years adventures. Good thing the neighbours put up a wooden privacy fence.

I have never thought fireworks were worth the price, but to each his own. My son loves the things and gets the big exploding ones while he's out of state traveling with his grandparents. They are illegal here but they look kind of cool... I just don't see why (aside from the thrill of trying to get away with something) anyone would buy the things.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm cheap. I just enjoy watching other people's fireworks. Not only does it save me money, it also saves me some fingers, eyes and hearing.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the cheaper the fireworks the more fun they are. The stores here have these little bitty ones that have helicopter-like wings and they fly way way up while spinning. A traditional Japanese one is the senko-hanabi, which you just have to see the real thing to undertand but they are extremely cheap, very pretty, and lots of fun for kids. They are a special kind of sparkler that hangs down like a string.
Here is a picture:
 -

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to love sparkers as a kid, tracing shapes in the air...

Here's a puzzler, are the patterns you get when waving them about after-images or smoke?

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They're illegal here in Toronto, too for the general public, except on holiday weekends. I've just never set them off myself, before, so I figured it'd be fun. And it would have been moreso if I could have lit a bunch at once and been able to afford the cool ones.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only nice fireworks I bought were those "light once, fire six times".
They were a large rocket-shaped container with a fuse, when you lit the fuse six rockets with nice effects were launched one after the other. You could step back after lighting the fuse and watch a small fireworks display.

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
MapleLeaf, maybe you can tell me, did fireworks just recently become legal for the average Ontarian? I seem to remember my classmates engaging in some impressive "Smurf Detonation" with firecrackers twenty years ago, but I've barely even seen them in the interim. I'm no pyro, but if they're available to us proles, I could possibly put them to use as special effects.

Max "not aspiring to be Welles" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose I could have my Dad send you some of these [Big Grin] They might make a big enough band for you [Wink] . (Thats my Dad in the pic)

They are from the 2005 Milford NH fireworks show.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Max_Renn:
MapleLeaf, maybe you can tell me, did fireworks just recently become legal for the average Ontarian? I seem to remember my classmates engaging in some impressive "Smurf Detonation" with firecrackers twenty years ago, but I've barely even seen them in the interim. I'm no pyro, but if they're available to us proles, I could possibly put them to use as special effects.

Max "not aspiring to be Welles" Renn

As far as I know, they've been legal forever. Just on holiday weekends, though.

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
I used to love sparkers as a kid, tracing shapes in the air...

Here's a puzzler, are the patterns you get when waving them about after-images or smoke?

Slightly off topic, but I've always found it funny that parents will generally keep kids far away from fireworks because of their danger, and then hand them a sharp stick of burning magnesium to race around the yard with [Smile]

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1958Fury:
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:

Usually I wait until the day after the holiday, and buy them half price.... so I celebrate a day late, big deal. If you store them right, they still work next year.
[Cool] I do that too. I used to have an annual 5th of July party.

I also tend to buy fireworks that aren't really clear on what they do. Sometimes I get dissapointed, but sometimes I get really amused. [Smile]

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm also mostly in the camp of just watching other peoples stuff. I'm terrified at what my kid might have. When he's out of town with his grandparents they buy him all kinds of dangerous crap and expect me to light the things. I hate to think of how much they pay. Last year was one of the few times I've actually said a naughty word in front of my kid. Legally we aren't allowed anything that explodes in the air in this state so I was a bit surprised by some of the fireworks. (The only other time that I know my kid heard curse words from me was when my dad set my car on fire with me in it.)

I kind of like little fire crackers. They are pretty cheap and its fun to put them in toys and stuff to see what they'll do.

I'm more of a do it yourself person. Give me a can, a candle, some flour and a tube and it'll keep me amused. When you blow the flour or other flamable in the air *whosh* (fireball)... well it amuses me and its cheap compared to fire works.

Chim "Pedro's fire works, does your's? South of the Border" era

As fires go I always like putting chemicals in them. Soak pine cones in copper sulfate and you'll get crackling green sparks. That's my favourite effect... but then again green is my favourite colour. I love green and I love fire, I think more fires should be green. I've even made green effect fireplace pinecones as gifts when I was younger. I bet some people thought I was a strange child.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

quote:
(The only other time that I know my kid heard curse words from me was when my dad set my car on fire with me in it.)
quote:
As fires go I always like putting chemicals in them.
You really have lived an extraordinarily unique life, Chimera [Eek!]

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

DonCorneo
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonCorneo   E-mail DonCorneo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad likes to put some sort of acetylene (sp?) in ballons and blow them up. Sounds like a cannon going off. We were never really popular with the police because of that [Razz]

--------------------
Angels sang out an immaculate chorus;
Down from the heavens, descended Chuck Norris...

Posts: 53 | From: Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaidenAthene:

I agree, they aren't really fun, unless you are buying 100 dollars worth of them, and big loud ones.

We also tied about 12 mortars together and lit them all at once, but they didn't really fly at the same time, though.

That's what we did the last time I got fireworks (in Michigan that is, here in Chicago even sparklers are illegal!) Actually I think it totalled to about 200 dollars because my brother and I bought $100 worth on the way up to his friend's house, and his friend bought nearly $100 more...

The result:
 -

Turned out really great. Most of the fireworks were good quality and looked awesome. My favorite though was the fireworks with the photos that were a ripoff of South Park, although the shells themselves were pretty lame, the package and tubes were very amusing.
We also took a bunch of mortars and etc, (15 or so?) glued them to a board , and hooked up their fuses so they'd go off in series. When playing with that much explosive power, it's nice that my brother's friend is a doctor (although he was usually the one lighting all the fuses!)

More photos of the fireworks going off here if anyone's interested:

[URL=http://www.chicagocanine.com/july4th/fireworks/ ]Fireworks "show" - http://www.chicagocanine.com/july4th/fireworks/ [/URL] Not bad for amateur-quality fireworks!

(edited to fix link)

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every year we have a fire works display at the lake. It is put on by the park we have a lot at. After they light up all their stuff, everyone else can set off anything they had bought. We don't usually buy more than $20 worth of stuff, but we get to see a lot of sparkles...

Now as for bon fires, we had one for homecoming when I was in high school that exploded. Someone had thrown a small gas can in. That was pretty scary.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am terrified of starting a fire-especially a wild fire(my family all lives on the wild borders where the population meets the dry grass on the hills), so I am very anti home fireworks. And besides that people buy too many of those awful whistlers. Nothing worse than listening to that sound for 10 straight hours.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ganz, that is an adorable picture.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages