snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Why do I have to be in a good mood ALL the time? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why do I have to be in a good mood ALL the time?
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the kind of face that doesn't look "happy" even when I'm in a good mood. My smiles are slight upturns of the corners of the mouth, not these huge "all-teeth displayed" things some people have that I tend to think of as "rictus grins". I am simply not a perky person, even when I'm happy. I tend to be the quiet, reserved type. I'm just not the kind who ever shows happiness in the grinning, perky, sunshine-vomiting way some subset of society thinks everyone should. I find that this results in perky people badgering me to try to "cheer me up" or get me to smile even when I'm happy. This quickly ruins any good mood I may have been experiencing prior to this. This is especially true when they don't want to believe I'm happy -- or was happy before they started nagging me to " [Smile] !smile! [Smile] " (it seems like they somehow have a superpower that lets them insert actual smileys in their speech).

The most annoying experience I had was when a clerk at a Radio Shack store actually refused to give me my change unless I smiled for him! He was an older guy and he was the only one there (otherwise I'd have gone for a manager) and he just waited until I'd paid and then tried to force me to smile. I hadn't been in a bad mood prior to that but I was furiously angry afterward. Being a poor college student I couldn't afford to abandon my change and I just wanted out of there so I ended up contorting my face into something he could interpret as a grin to get my change and then I left.

I really get annoyed at the people who love to bustle around in the morning full of cheery greetings and vomiting sunshine everywhere. Especially at work since I get in and get started on my work only to be interrupted several times by the "cheer-patrol" running around with all their bubbly talk about what a great morning it is and what a fine day it will be. Shut up and let me get my work done without all the pointless interruptions, please.

Do these people not understand how annoying it is to have people try to force you to be happy? Why do they think they have a right to try to nag people into being happy (or at least faking it)? Do they actually think their irrepressable cheerfullness and sunshine-vomiting is actually going to have the desired effect?

I have had a sneaking suspicion that being too happy, too often is a bad thing. I suspect it leads to people repressing anger and other supposedly negative emotions until they just can't take it anymore and it all ends up bursting out in ways that are far worse than if they'd just let themselves be angry instead of suppressing it (and if others hadn't constantly been trying to tell them it was wrong to be anything but sunshine-vomitingly happy at all times).

Can you tell I've decided I like the term "sunshine-vomiting"?

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To echo others:
Something is DEFINITELY wrong with people who are too happy all the time.
I mean, just a few weeks ago I found out that a friend of mine sees a therapist multiple times a week, calls him in the middle of the night if she feels she has to, and is on anti-depressants.
I don't think anything is wrong with any of that stuff, honestly.
However, now I know why NOTHING bothers her.

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, this thread scares me. I'm a naturally cheerful person. Yes, I have bad days where I hate everyone, or am sad, etc. but I don't really let anyone see it. It's not for nothing that in my current job I have the nickname "sunshine", and one of my former managers nicknamed me "Cheer Queen".
However, I don't try and force other people to share my good mood. I will say "Good morning" to people as they come in, or ask how it's going, but if they don't respond, or don't want to talk, I leave them alone.

Also, I'm sorry if I annoy anyone with my cheerfulness, but I really can't help it. I'm easily amused, so even if I am in a bad mood, I'm likely to start laughing over nothing in particular.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:
I have the kind of face that doesn't look "happy" even when I'm in a good mood. My smiles are slight upturns of the corners of the mouth, not these huge "all-teeth displayed" things some people have that I tend to think of as "rictus grins".

Now, now. If you want people to respect your right to your natural facial expression, you need to respect their right to their natural smile.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 13 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ladyknight:
Gosh, this thread scares me. I'm a naturally cheerful person. Yes, I have bad days where I hate everyone, or am sad, etc. but I don't really let anyone see it. It's not for nothing that in my current job I have the nickname "sunshine", and one of my former managers nicknamed me "Cheer Queen".
However, I don't try and force other people to share my good mood. I will say "Good morning" to people as they come in, or ask how it's going, but if they don't respond, or don't want to talk, I leave them alone.

Also, I'm sorry if I annoy anyone with my cheerfulness, but I really can't help it. I'm easily amused, so even if I am in a bad mood, I'm likely to start laughing over nothing in particular.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but as the OPer, you're fine in MY book.
It's the people that try to persuade me to be a "sunshine-vomitter". [lol]
I couldn't care less if you're in a great mood, but it just bothers me when I'm in a "blah" or "eh" mood, and people INSIST something MUST be wrong with me.
I'm a generally "happy" person. Unlike some people have said, I don't walk around looking somewhat solemn, or anything like that.
Actually, something that struck me as funny is that I've also been given the nickname "Sunshine" at three different jobs; none of these people knowing the others.
However, I still think I'm entitled to have a day that I'm just OK....

Anyway, rambling aside, your happy persona is not a problem in my world! [lol]

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
I have the kind of face that doesn't look "happy" even when I'm in a good mood. My smiles are slight upturns of the corners of the mouth, not these huge "all-teeth displayed" things some people have that I tend to think of as "rictus grins".

Now, now. If you want people to respect your right to your natural facial expression, you need to respect their right to their natural smile.
I respect their right to it. I just think it looks like they have some kind of rictus or something. I never tell them that -- I just think it when they're commenting on my facial expression.

See the problem is I may feel like [Smile] but people think I'm [Frown] or [Mad] because I don't look like [Big Grin] and they feel they need to perk me up, which makes me [Roll Eyes] .

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
See the problem is I may feel like [Smile] but people think I'm [Frown] or [Mad] because I don't look like [Big Grin] and they feel they need to perk me up, which makes me [Roll Eyes] .

MaxKaladin, this is fantastic! Can I steal this for my sig line?

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
MaxKaladin, the next time sometome tells you to "smile!", say "I AM smiling."

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LolaRennt
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LolaRennt   E-mail LolaRennt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why should anyone have to make up some "socially acceptable" babble just so the other person can walk away feeling relieved that you aren't upset at that person? What is so socially unacceptable about saying "I'm fine, thank you for asking". Or even "I just need to be left alone but thank you for asking". Why must a co-worker (or anyone else) be given a reason for someone looking upset?

LR

Posts: 780 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hoitoider:
When I worked in an office with others I noticed the cheery, upbeat people were the ones who got the least amount of work done while the 'serious' ones were the most productive. The cheery ones were usually more physically attractive & popular with everyone, wanted everyone to like them, etc. The world needs worker bees to support the queen bees I guess.

I dunno, you can be serious and cheery. The two are not mutually exclusive. In my experience the most productive workers manage to strike a balance between the two that means they can expect cooperation from others (mainly because they aren't sitting glumly at their desks shooting "the stare of death" at anyone who comes near them) while still getting on with their work.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I mean, just a few weeks ago I found out that a friend of mine sees a therapist multiple times a week, calls him in the middle of the night if she feels she has to, and is on anti-depressants.
I don't think anything is wrong with any of that stuff, honestly.
However, now I know why NOTHING bothers her.

Well actually there is a possibility that there is a lot of repressed anger or fear there. I have been abused and blackmailed by so many people in the past that I have learned to hide my emotions. I am only emotional around my family, and after too many beers (hence I don't over drink any more). No-one would know of anything wrong with me that would cause me to be on anti-epressants, speak to a therapist or self-harm. Such feelings have been repressed so successfully.

quote:
My colleagues were mocking me because I was laughing whilst hoovering. I don't remember why but the likelyhood is I was thinking of a funny line from a comedy and hence the laughing out loud. I'm not sorry if I upset people with my (fake) cheeriness. Miserable sods. [Wink]
Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I have a "blah" day I can almost hear people thinking "it must be PMT". I warn close colleagues if I'm having an off day, as it isn't fair to snap at them or for them to wonder why I'm not bantering as normal. If someone asks why I'm not laughing along with the rest of the bunch at work I usually pass it off as "sorry, I was concentrating".

Like a couple of others here, I very rarely show my true feelings in public (and only with a couple of close friends at work). I got bullied a lot at school and grew up in an age where you had to stand up for yourself or just "grin and take it". At 13 I pretty turned off my emotional side as it felt too much like a weakness. It was all about "stiff upper lip" and "big girls don't cry" and being in a male-dominated workplace, I've learnt to "take it like a man" the same as my co-workers.

I have a male co-worker who has cried on my shoulder more than once (literally and metaphorically) and has always offered a shoulder for me to cry on (when one of my cats has died or whatever), but I just can't do it. When hubby left me and again when b/f left me, my parents came round to offer sympathy, but all I could do was hold myself together until after they'd gone. You see, the only time I can show that sort of emotion is when I'm on my own and there's no-one to see my "weakness". I kept emotions turned off so former hubby couldn't emotionally blackmail me - I now get told not to bottle things up, but there's no longer much there to bottle up these days as I sort of switched it all off years ago.

I have started letting my hair down a little with one or two of the guys at work - after 10 years working together, showing that I have feelings seems permissible. I just can't find that switch that makes me human again.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
"I am recharging my batteries, so get off my recharger. If you continue to try to make me happy, I am going to piss in your shoes - and I am in enough of a pissy mood that I won't even wait for you to turn around. Consider yourself warned. I will be my normal self in a day or two... so until you see me laughing and smiling, go "perk" somebody else."

I love it! My somewhat geekier version of this is "Normal service will be resumed shortly". I used to work with a guy who was pathologically cheerful and it drove me nuts! It nearly drove me to commit murder - actually, thinking up imaginative and slow ways of killing him did cheer me [Big Grin] . If I want perking up, I'll ask to be perked up (a request open to many interpretations [lol] )

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just be in a bad, stinkin' mood all the time, and then people won't be bugging you about it all the time.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 19 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LolaRennt:
Why should anyone have to make up some "socially acceptable" babble just so the other person can walk away feeling relieved that you aren't upset at that person? What is so socially unacceptable about saying "I'm fine, thank you for asking". Or even "I just need to be left alone but thank you for asking". Why must a co-worker (or anyone else) be given a reason for someone looking upset?

LR

This is EXACTLY what I'm saying.
I mean, it just seems like saying "I'm fine" or "Nothing's wrong" is not good enough.
DAMN! Leave it the hell alone! Usually, when I'm feeling like this, maybe I just need a little "warm-up time" or whatever.
I don't need to hear a constant slew of "Oh, watch out, MissE's not in a good mood"(s), or "Oh, you have an attitude today?" or "What's wrong with you, you're not talking?!"
Do I have to engage you in conversation just because you're chipper today?
The thing that really bothers me most about days like this is that THERE REALLY IS NOTHING WRONG! But then I get quickly peeved by people constantly asking, and then there is something bothering me; YOU! [lol]

--------------------
~I'mNotDedalus

MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by ladyknight:
quote:

MaxKaladin, this is fantastic! Can I steal this for my sig line?
Sure. Go ahead.
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
MaxKaladin, the next time sometome tells you to "smile!", say "I AM smiling."

I've been known to respond with a chilly "I was smiling."
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
Like a couple of others here, I very rarely show my true feelings in public (and only with a couple of close friends at work). I got bullied a lot at school and grew up in an age where you had to stand up for yourself or just "grin and take it". At 13 I pretty turned off my emotional side as it felt too much like a weakness. It was all about "stiff upper lip" and "big girls don't cry" and being in a male-dominated workplace, I've learnt to "take it like a man" the same as my co-workers.

I was also bullied, but I didn't turn off emotions so much as cultivate a "poker face" to avoid showing any reaction to the bullying. That was pretty much the advice I got when I complained to adults about the bullying. They told me that if I didn't show any reaction to the bullies, they would get bored and leave me alone. I cultivated the poker face to avoid showing a reaction, but sadly the bullies didn't really leave me alone because of it. It just made them try harder to get a reaction from me. Come to think of it, it's not unlike the way some sunshine-vomiters just try the harder to get a cheery reaction out of me.

I'm also seeing a bit of a misconception. I'm not annoyed because people are happy. I'm a bit annoyed by people who give me the cheery banter bit at work, but that's mostly because they're breaking my concentration with their cheerful banter. What really annoys me are the people who simply cannot accept that some of us aren't vomiting sunshine all the time and take it as their diety-given mission to change that. They do not seem to understand that some people can be content or even happy without being demonstrative about it. They seem to assume that if you aren't vomiting sunshine everywhere you must be angry or upset or sad. This isn't the case. In most cases, I was feeling just fine until you started badgering me about how upset I must be and how I simply must "cheer up". [flame] I am not asking anyone to not be happy or cheerful. I just ask that you try to not vomit sunshine all over me. I respect your right to be cheerful so please respect my right to not be cheerful.

Also, please understand that some of us aren't morning people like you are. The whole cheery "isn't it a wonderful morning" routine is not going to perk us up. It's only going to make our mood worse. The way to improve our mood is to leave us alone so we can slowly finish waking up.

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What you need is a chest mounted Happy Control. It's medically possible (although not quite what this guy has):

quote:
Professor Aziz has implanted an electrode in [patient Robert Matthews's] brain which can in a sense make him happier.

The electrode is controlled by a switch which is in his chest.

But Robert Matthews was in no doubt that if he was offered not just the chance to get rid of his pain but actually to make himself feel positively happy he would turn his switch up to the happy level.

"Oh definitely. Most definitely all the way. Take it all the way, yes. That would be a happy day, wouldn't it?"

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bab5nutz
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bab5nutz   E-mail bab5nutz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the last of the Doctor Who series was a story called The Happiness Patrol. The Doctor arrives on a planet where you have to be happy, and there were patrols that went around enforcing this law. If you were caught crying, or even looking unhappy, you risked being executed.

Totally OT, I know.

Posts: 101 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyrics from the Suicidal Tendencies-Institutionalized:
I was sitting in my room, and I was like staring at the walls thinking about
everything but then again I was thinking about nothing, and then my mom came
in and I didn't notice she was there and she calls my name and I didn't hear
her and then she started screaming:
- Mike, Mike!
And I go:
- What, what's the matter?
She goes:
- What's the matter with you?
I say:
- Nothing mom.
She goes:
- Don't tell me nothing, you're on drugs!
I go:
- No mom, I'm not on drugs, I'm ok, I'm just thinking, you know, why don't
you get me a Pepsi?
She goes:
- No, you're on drugs, you're crazy, normal people won't be acting that way!
I go:
- Mom, I'm all right, I'm just thinking, you know, so why don't you, like
give me a Pepsi?
And she goes:
- No, you're crazy!
All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me,
just one Pepsi.

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
Scarlet O'Hara got plenty upset. Nothing to add other than that.

Right -- exactly my thought. Now Melanie...

My face seems to naturally fall into a slight frown. I think I once lost a babysitter job because the woman thought I wasn't happy. I just tend to come off as serious during quiet moments.

I also don't like people asking me how I am merely for formalities sake...and, of course, asking and answering that is intrinic to my job with the public. I did answer a co-worker with an "eh" today -- and because she was not really listening she said, "Good! Good!"

I think moods naturally go through an ebb and flow, and as long as people behave pleasantly, or don't let it show to customers/clients, that should be okay.

More times than not I'm in a fairly good mood. Today I'm just tired!

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Scarlet O'Hara got plenty upset. Nothing to add other than that.

By coincidence, I was just re-reading Gone With The Wind. She had quite a violent temper, coupled with a drinking problem.
I've never seen or read Pollyana, so I have no reference point for that, but Scarlett O'Hara was definitely not a beacon of vomiting sunshine (although on occasion she'd play the role to purposely manipulate a man for her own selfish purposes).

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well Pollyanna as far as I can remember from the Disney movie fell out of a window and became paralyzed but didn't let life get her down. I don't remember if she had a overly cheery disposition or if she was just blonde and cutesy.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
Just be in a bad, stinkin' mood all the time, and then people won't be bugging you about it all the time.

Pogue

Do you have a brother Pogue? My husband is the same way. The people at work call him "Mr. Happy" cause he never seems to be happy.
His normal face looks like this [Frown]

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I sooooo would have smiled at Radio Shack guy, accepted the change, and then plopped the bag and receipt on the counter, telling him I needed to return this...all with a genuinely sunny smile.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's another one of THOSE days again!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
~I'mNotDedalus

Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MissE:
It's another one of THOSE days again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why, what's wrong? Did something happen? What's going on? Are you ok? It seems like something's up, I mean, you're not yourself. Are you sure you're ok? Cause you're acting kind of funny. Come on, get it off your chest, you'll feel better! Don't keep it all bottled up inside!

How about a smile? Just a little one? Aww come on, you can do it!

Sing with me now!

You are my sunshine! My only sunshine!
You make me haaaapyyyyy....

I'll get it. [fish]

[Big Grin]

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the people who are constantly bouncing off the walls that really make me worry.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well Pollyanna as far as I can remember from the Disney movie fell out of a window and became paralyzed but didn't let life get her down. I don't remember if she had a overly cheery disposition or if she was just blonde and cutesy.

Pollyanna was famous for playing "The Glad Game." No matter how bad things got, she made a game of finding something to be glad about. So her name has become a buzzword for irritatingly cheery optimism. But if you read the book, you recognize how much it sucked to be her and you admire her spunk. She was a poor orphan living with a chilly aunt in a small town full of grumpy people. And yes, she had an accident and was paralyzed for a time. She was eventually cured (by the small town doctor, who then married the aunt), but not before her optimism was tested to its limits.

Back to RL--at my end of the hall, no one has mastered the art of being cheerful but calm. It's typical for someone arriving in the morning to be greeted by shouts of "THERE HE IS!!!" Add the hyper kids to the hyper faculty, and sometimes I want to turn around and go right back home where it's quiet. Sometimes the pressures to keep things positive make it hard to admit to having a less-than-good day. But people do rally around someone having a rough time, so I can't really complain about "sunshine-vomiters."

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
Don't keep it all bottled up inside!

They really do say that. The ironic thing is that's exactly what they're asking me to do when I happen to be unhappy. Rather than being in an unhappy mood, they're basically asking you to bottle it up inside and put on a mask of sunshine-vomiting happiness. They may not realize they're doing that. They may think it's just as easy to "let it go" and be happy as throwing a switch, but it isn't so what you end up having to do to get them off your back is bottle it up and put on a false happy-face.
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mari:
quote:

Pollyanna was famous for playing "The Glad Game." No matter how bad things got, she made a game of finding something to be glad about. So her name has become a buzzword for irritatingly cheery optimism. But if you read the book, you recognize how much it sucked to be her and you admire her spunk. She was a poor orphan living with a chilly aunt in a small town full of grumpy people. And yes, she had an accident and was paralyzed for a time. She was eventually cured (by the small town doctor, who then married the aunt), but not before her optimism was tested to its limits.
And once she knew the love of a good man, the aunt stopped being chilly, right? [Wink]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faith
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mari:
quote:

Continuing the Pollyanna hijack, isn't the purpose of her accident to teach her that the optimistic outlook she attempts to impress on others is bloody annoying and glib? And that it's easier to solve other's problems than her own?

If I remember, she retains her optmisim and sunny outlook but dials it down several notches afterwards and factors sympathy and understanding into why someone might not be "glad" after a misfortune.

--------------------
"You watched it. You can't UNWATCH it."

Posts: 1646 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 606 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Little Pink Pill, thank you for making me laugh!

It's really becoming annoying now, though.

I mean DAMN!!!! If I say nothing is wrong, why on earth do you have to keep saying something to me????

This is exactly what WILL put me in a bad mood!!!

And then when I try to explain that, it's all, "Calm down! Geez, why are you in such a bad mood if nothing's wrong?!"

[flame]

Edited because work is getting in the way.

--------------------
~I'mNotDedalus

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages